Mystery Science Theater 3000

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Postby R. Zion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Anyway, I've been watching alot of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on winamp lately and just thought I'd check and see if we had any MST3K fans over here! And if so, who's your favorite bot? (Not that there's a huge choice, of course, but still...)
R. Zion

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:22 pm

Watching it on Winamp? Wait, what?

I own every single box set that is out now on DVD, as well as many of the VHS episodes, and the Essentials collection, and I have some out on tape too. I've also thoroughly read through everything on "A MSTing For All Seasons" (PM me if you want the link, there are some lemon fics on there).

That said, I always liked Tom the best. Crow is cool, and has his moments, but Tom just...I dunno. I guess because he's a bit smarter, so he's able to be a bit wittier. But they're all great.

I also kinda like Joel a bit better than Mike. I really didn't like Mike until after he'd been there for about a season (ironically, though I like Joel better, practically all my favorite episodes are from the Mike period...go figure).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby R. Zion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:30 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Watching it on Winamp? Wait, what?

I own every single box set that is out now on DVD, as well as many of the VHS episodes, and the Essentials collection, and I have some out on tape too. I've also thoroughly read through everything on "A MSTing For All Seasons" (PM me if you want the link, there are some lemon fics on there).

That said, I always liked Tom the best. Crow is cool, and has his moments, but Tom just...I dunno. I guess because he's a bit smarter, so he's able to be a bit wittier. But they're all great.

I also kinda like Joel a bit better than Mike. I really didn't like Mike until after he'd been there for about a season (ironically, though I like Joel better, practically all my favorite episodes are from the Mike period...go figure).

Lol...yes, I watch MST3K on shoutcast TV on winamp. It's the only place I can get my fix at the moment. Since I've started watching I've gotten hooked.

Out of curiosity, how many DVD box sets are out? I've been thinking about about collecting them now, but I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Also, how is the movie? I just saw something on it again the other day after completely having forgotten about it.

I'll agree with you on Tom and Crow, but I'm not quite sure who I prefer amongst Mike or Joel. They show random episodes on shoutcast, so I kinda jump back and forth between seasons.
R. Zion

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 pm

There are 8 box sets out, along with "The Essentials" which has Manos: Hands of Fate as well as Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Box set 9 will be coming out in a few months I think.

The movie is...well, it's good. The jokes are a bit dumbed down, and it's ironically shorter than a regular episode. However, there ARE some great lines (such as the one about the magnetic bars).

Shoutcast TV? I might have to check this out...

Nate

Postby Arnobius » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:48 pm

The movie wasn't as good as the TV shows. It's also hard to find since it's no longer made... it's in a legal conflict and DVD copies tend to run about $100+

I don't think it's which robot you like so much as it is which human: Joel or Mike? Personally I thought Mike came across better
Arnobius

Postby R. Zion » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:13 pm

$100!? Egads!

So what is this legal conflict concerning the movie?
R. Zion

Postby TrigunX89 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:18 pm

I've only seen a few of them, but they're really funny. My sister got me into it. *runs off to get winamp*
TrigunX89

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:39 pm

R. Zion wrote:$100!? Egads!

So what is this legal conflict concerning the movie?

I'm not really sure, but I do know that when MST3K acquires rights to some movies, it's only for a brief period of time. It's very likely that their license to "This Island Earth" (the movie in the movie) expired and therefore they're not allowed to sell MST3K the Movie anymore because of it. That's probably what it is (if not, AH will correct me).

Nate

Postby Tarnish » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:41 pm

My favorite show. EVER.
Took a nosedive during the Pearl era, though even then it was better than anything else on TV.

Tom is the coolest, 'cause he's the wind, baby.

Both of the hosts were great, but I always preferred Joel over Mike.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby R. Zion » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:27 pm

kaemmerite wrote:I'm not really sure, but I do know that when MST3K acquires rights to some movies, it's only for a brief period of time. It's very likely that their license to "This Island Earth" (the movie in the movie) expired and therefore they're not allowed to sell MST3K the Movie anymore because of it. That's probably what it is (if not, AH will correct me).

Hmm...interesting fact. I did not know that. Learn something new every day.

Oh, and Kae, not that you probably don't have the released seasons already, but Family Guy is also an often seen series playing on Shoutcast TV. Even more reason for you to check it out!
R. Zion

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:08 pm

One of my friends got me hooked on this in college. Incidentally, kae, you remind me of this guy a lot. You may wanna check out his MISTings at http://boffo.flactem.com/ (we host his site).

I still laugh thinking about a bar somewhere where these guys are playing a song that has the bots singing:
chord chord chord chord chord chord OTHERCHORD chord chord chord chord chord chord OTHERCHORD.

The words to the song are something like, "Pig Liquer."

Crow: What is "Pig Licker?"
Tom: It's either someone who licks pigs or liquer made from pigs.
Crow (deadpan): I would not want pig liquer.
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:14 pm

Oooh, MORE MSTings! Sweet!

Incidentally, that song is from Hobgoblins.

"Fish picker?" "Swiss knickers?"

Nate

Postby Arnobius » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:26 pm

Don't forget their translation of the "Jet Jaguar" song from Japanese, and their imitation of Riverdance.

And of course their most classic skit (imo)
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/npj/mstknoh.htm
Arnobius

Postby Chosen Raven » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:53 pm

I love this show to death. Why hasn't any TV network picked this up? Maybe it's because they don't have space for a 2 hour an episode series....
The Devil's gonna get his....
Chosen Raven

Location: Texas. That's the best danged state in the union to you, bub.

Postby Arnobius » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 pm

Chosen Raven wrote:I love this show to death. Why hasn't any TV network picked this up? Maybe it's because they don't have space for a 2 hour an episode series....

Well, they finished the series in 2000 after 10 seasons. I think they are ready to move on
Arnobius

Postby Nate » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Chosen Raven wrote:Why hasn't any TV network picked this up? Maybe it's because they don't have space for a 2 hour an episode series....

I think it's more what I mentioned earlier, that the rights to the movies were only acquired for a short period of time, thus limiting the amount of episodes that could be shown on TV...which is also (I would assume) why they release four episode collections instead of just the individual seasons on DVD.

Nate

Postby meboeck » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of this show... yet. *goes off to check out Shoutcast TV* What little I have seen I saw a few years ago so I don't remember any of the characters. My favorite that I have seen is definitely Puma Man. I'm so glad I might have a chance to see more the show!
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:46 pm

I have collection 3... I didn't realize there were 9 collections!!! I want them all, so badly!

My favorite bot is Tom Servo... Who wouldn't like an operetic robot made by a janitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby R. Zion » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:33 pm

I was just watching the Black Scorpion....egads, Tom's old voice greats on me. >.<
R. Zion

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:46 pm

Tom >> Crow > Gypsy (but not by much)

Joel >> Mike

Dr. Erhardt (Josh Weinstein, remember him?) > TV's Frank

Nobody beats Clayton Forrester

Early episodes > Middle Episodes >> Later Episodes

My two cents...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Chosen Raven » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, they finished the series in 2000 after 10 seasons. I think they are ready to move on

I didn't mean new episodes; I meant why hasn't any network picked up the reruns. It would be kinda hard continuing the show since Mike and the bots are on Earth now...doing the exact same thing they were doing in space.

I think it's more what I mentioned earlier, that the rights to the movies were only acquired for a short period of time, thus limiting the amount of episodes that could be shown on TV...which is also (I would assume) why they release four episode collections instead of just the individual seasons on DVD.

Yeah, that makes sense. That also explains why they never showed reruns of older episodes. I always wanted to see what the older episodes were like since I first started watching in the Mike Nelson era.
Chosen Raven

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:08 pm

[quote="Chosen Raven"]I didn't mean new episodes]
Ah I misunderstood. Yeah, I think Kae has it right on why they can't do it. Probably explains why some of their best episodes (Master Ninja, Riding With Death, Godzilla vs Megalon) aren't on DVD.

You can get Joel episodes on the DVDs. Some people like him better, but I always disliked the attitude he seemed to give off.
Arnobius

Postby Chosen Raven » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm

You can get Joel episodes on the DVDs. Some people like him better, but I always disliked the attitude he seemed to give off.

I've heard alot of people say they liked him better than Mike, but when he showed up for a guest appearance on the show, he just didn't seem like he would be that great of a character. He seemed, to me, like he would be more of a sarcastic wise-ace than Mike's character. I always liked Mike's clueless nice-guy attitude. Guess I'll just have to get one of the DVDs so I can judge for myself.
Chosen Raven

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 pm

Chosen Raven wrote:I've heard alot of people say they liked him better than Mike, but when he showed up for a guest appearance on the show, he just didn't seem like he would be that great of a character. He seemed, to me, like he would be more of a sarcastic wise-ace than Mike's character. I always liked Mike's clueless nice-guy attitude. Guess I'll just have to get one of the DVDs so I can judge for myself.

Yeah... on the series he did come off arrogant and sarcastic. I thought Mike's "Gee-Whiz" nice guy attitude seemed to fit the show better.
Arnobius

Return to General Entertainment