The Flying Nun

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Flying Nun

Postby Puritan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 am

Has anyone else seen and liked "The Flying Nun"? The first season just came out on DVD and one of the other guys in my house bought it, so we have been watching the episodes in the evenings and I've really come to enjoy it. While the series is a bit campy and the physics behind why Sally Fields can fly leave alot to be desired, I think the show is good overall and actually quite funny, if you can get past the random (and terrible) musical numbers thrown into some episodes.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Rev. Doc » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:59 am

I watched this show growing up and enjoyed it. During the early to mid 60s there were quite a few movie hits dealing with nuns. Lillies of the Field (1963), The Singing Nun (1966) and The Trouble With Angels (1966). It appears that The Flying Nun (which begain airing in 1967) was seeking to capitalize on the success of these movies. It lasted for 3 years with 83 episodes.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Lynx » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:23 am

that's an oldschool show. i've actually seen a few episodes, either on nick at night or tv land or something like that
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Steeltemplar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:44 pm

Rev. Doc wrote:I watched this show growing up and enjoyed it. During the early to mid 60s there were quite a few movie hits dealing with nuns. Lillies of the Field (1963), The Singing Nun (1966) and The Trouble With Angels (1966). It appears that The Flying Nun (which begain airing in 1967) was seeking to capitalize on the success of these movies. It lasted for 3 years with 83 episodes.

The Trouble With Angels is a classic.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:14 pm

Yeah,I remember watching it when it aired back in the '60s.I think Sally Fields was just fresh out of doing Gidget on tv when she landed the role.
mitsuki lover

Postby Puritan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:49 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Yeah,I remember watching it when it aired back in the '60s.I think Sally Fields was just fresh out of doing Gidget on tv when she landed the role.

Yeah, from my understanding Gidget was cancelled right after its first season and Sally Fields was unsure if she would get another job offer, so she took the lead role in the Flying Nun. Evidentally she hated the role, but stuck with it anyway. I think it's pretty good, although it doesn't seem to be really well liked.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby ashfire » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:53 pm

I remember watching it back in the 60s along with The Rat Patrol and a few other good ones back then.
I bet cha anything, someone will want to make a Flying Nun movie.
I believe I heard there might be a I Dream of Jennie movie.
ashfire

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Ah,yes,The Rat Patrol was one of my favorite shows back in the day.It was only a half hour but it was one of the most thrilling half hours on tv.
mitsuki lover

Postby Rev. Doc » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:20 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Ah,yes,The Rat Patrol was one of my favorite shows back in the day.It was only a half hour but it was one of the most thrilling half hours on tv.

Yeah. My dad ruled the TV so we always watched Rat Patrol, Combat (saw that in a DVD collection too), Gunsmoke, Ed Sullivan, etc., etc., etc.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to General Entertainment