The Hanna Barbera Cartoons

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Hanna Barbera Cartoons

Postby Allegro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:38 pm

I'm sure most of you are familiar with cartoons done by the well-known Hanna Barbera company. Cartoons like Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, and the Smurfs are among the prominent shows related to such a name. Personally, I thought The Flintstones was the best out of them (some say it's the 60's equivalent to the Simpsons today).

For some reason, you can tell if it's a Hanna Barbera show just by the relaxed style of the animation.
Allegro

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 pm

I had a tape of Yogi when I was younger and really liked it^^
In kids church this week we just finished watching the Hanna Barbara Bible series "Greatest Stories Ever Told" or somethin like that where kids go back in time to Bible days. Ours was on David and Golith, and for a kids show I was surprised that the rock that hit Golith's head actually SHOWED him spewing blood! 0_0 Kids were pretty surprised too, not because they aren't used to it, but probably because it's on a cartoon. I think it was gunna be all cartoony and show it ricoche off, and then he collapses :/
Back to the other cartoons... I sometimes watched Flinstones, but not a fan of The Jetsons or even Scooby Doo for that matter (just... never watched them :/)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:43 pm

They also created Scooby Doo and it's various spinoffs.The Flintstones were probably their flagship series though and the one that is most beloved.
mitsuki lover

Postby Allegro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:50 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:They also created Scooby Doo and it's various spinoffs.
Ah yes, how could I have forgotten Scooby Doo? The show was so popular that it even spawned the recent "What's New Scooby Doo," as well as two live-action films.

But like Tenshi no Ai, I never really watched that much of the old Scooby Doo shows. I guess it's probably because we always know beforehand that the culprit is always some greedy businessman. :lol:
Allegro

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:06 am

I saw the first episode of Scooby Doo the year it premiered on Saturday morning cartoons. Seriously. Sure, it dates me. I remember being really impressed. Kids.

You may not believe it, but Scooby Doo knocked the socks off most of the other stuff that was being thrown at kids in those days. You still had the Bugs Bunny reruns from the '50s -- but some of the later stuff (the late '60s Road Runner, for example) was very poor animation, quality-wise.

Now, personally, I always liked Space Ghost, although I've seen a couple episodes recently and wonder what I ever saw in it (sort of like Thunderbirds). But apparently the 'Ghost and other late '60s shows (The Incredibles, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Voyage, etc.) were deemed 'too violent' and replaced by more sedate shows (Scooby, for example).

But most anime beats anything ever produced on American TV, Bugs Bunny et al included.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:19 am

!! I loved Scooby Doo! I think there was something about its formulaic nature that just amused me immensely.
Aka-chan

Postby Rogie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:18 am

And we can't forget that HB also created those wonderful superhero cartoons. Space Ghost, Birdman, Galaxy Trio, Dino Boy (okay, scratch Dino Boy). :grin:
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:51 am

I like some of the old Hanna Barbara cartoons, but those laugh-tracks get annoying. I mean, you're not supposed to cue adiences to laugh -it suggests only contempt from the producers for the audience.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

So then if Space Ghost is HB< I take it The Brak Show is too? ^^
Oh, and shows like Dexter's Lab, Fairly Odd Parents, Powerpuff Girls, etc. aren't they HB too? (just thinking of the art style but can't remember). You can tell with the syle of eyes they make that's it's all done by the same company...
Tenshi no Ai

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:05 am

Yabba Dabba Doo! :lol:

Seriously, I grew up watching The Flintstones and it was probably my all-time favorite cartoon when I was little. When my sister and I were in elemtary school, we'd walk home for lunch every day (because it was only a couple or three blocks away) and get there just in time for it to be on while we ate our lunch; then it'd be over just in time for us to start walking back. Good memories... ^_^

And I bet it surprises nobody that I've been buying up the season DVD boxsets as they become available. Only season 6 remains to be released before I can say I own the whole series... *__*

As for the other HB cartoons, I guess The Jetsons and Scooby-Doo would come in a pretty close second and third respectively. :)
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:07 am

wait a second the brak show is HB ohhhhh wait u mean the original not the new one right?
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Rogie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:So then if Space Ghost is HB< I take it The Brak Show is too? ^^

Actually, I'm not referring to the Cartoon Network parodies of those characters, I'm talking about the original 60's versions. The really cheesy Space Ghost, where Brak is actually a bad guy and not funny whatsoever. And Birdman before he was an attorney (never seen the new stuff).

But I did like Space Ghost Coast to Coast when it was on.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Allegro » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Oh, and shows like Dexter's Lab, Fairly Odd Parents, Powerpuff Girls, etc. aren't they HB too? (just thinking of the art style but can't remember). You can tell with the syle of eyes they make that's it's all done by the same company...
That's a good question. Technically, everything produced originally for Cartoon Network would be considered a Hanna Barbera toon (though with the recent name change, HB is now referred to as "Cartoon Network Studios"). A show like Fairly Odd Parents, though while it does have a similiar style, would not be an HB toon in the sense that it was produced for Nickelodeon.

I think a lot of animators today have borrowed elements from the old Hanna Barbera shows, and used them to pay homage in their own shows.
Allegro

Postby Sai » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:09 pm

Scooby Doo was my favorite. Me and my sister went and bought the complete first and second seasons a little while ago.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:24 pm

Wasn't the original Birdman an old Harvey Comics character?
mitsuki lover

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:07 pm

I never really liked Hanna Barbera. Although I did watch the Flintstones a lot when I was little. I never did like Scooby Doo though, and I still don't. @_@

Someone asked if shows like Dexter's Lab are Hanna Barbera...I think they might have been at one point but they're not anymore. They're considered Cartoon Cartoons, or Cartoon Network originals.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Return to General Entertainment