Law & Order, anyone?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Law & Order, anyone?

Postby Mave » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:10 am

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone watch Law & Order? And if so, which one do you prefer?

I've always like the Original (4th season onwards) and SVU. My favorite wisecracks typically come from Detective Briscoe and at this point, Asst. DA Carmichael is my fav. out of Jack's *cough* numerous female assistants.

I understand that series like Law & Order and CSI don't necessarily reflect the real thing but it's still pretty entertaining to me. I'll refrain to saying anymore unless I know that I'm not alone in this interest. (<.<);;
Mave

Postby Technomancer » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 am

I'll watch it now and then, but I'd much rather watch a real murder mystery (e.g. Inspector Morse, Foyle's War, etc). Also, I thought Jill Hennesy's character was the best looking.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby everdred12a » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:24 am

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.

lol, I love Law & Order. I want to say that I don't like one more than another, but each has its good points. Plain ol' Law & Order... it's the original. You can't dislike it. I like SVU because it has Ice-T (I'm not a rap fan or anything, I just think Ice-T is kind of funny), and CI probably has some of the best stories. My profile pic is a L&O parody sort of thing.

everdred12a

Postby Rogie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 am

I used to watch it all the time, but I've slacked off. I still watch one every now and then with my mom when I visit back home, since she loves it. And not to get off-topic, but my dad has recently gotten into CSI, so I'll watch reruns with him when I visit home, too.

Of course, they *never* watch anime or any type of cartoon when I visit. I wonder why? ;)
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Mave » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:43 pm

technomancer wrote: I'll watch it now and then, but I'd much rather watch a real murder mystery (e.g. Inspector Morse, Foyle's War, etc). Also, I thought Jill Hennesy's character was the best looking.

I watch Cold Cases, which I think are real life cases. I've never heard of those you've mentioned. (0_0)] ol, I love Law & Order. I want to say that I don't like one more than another, but each has its good points. Plain ol' Law & Order... it's the original. You can't dislike it. I like SVU because it has Ice-T (I'm not a rap fan or anything, I just think Ice-T is kind of funny), and CI probably has some of the best stories. My profile pic is a L&O parody sort of thing. [/quote]
Hehehe yeah Ice-T does add a whole new dimension to the SVU series. Sometimes, I enjoy CI. But I'm not sure how much I like already knowing 'who did it' right from the beginning of the show but I'm sure that was the whole intent of the show (pun intended XD).

I looked at your profile pic but I'm not sure whether I get it. :sweat: Shame on me, shame on me!!!

Rogie-san, I'm not sure if my family and friends enjoy watching anime, crime investigation, and food network as much as I do. (-__-)\\ I gave up trying to convince that these themes all go hand in hand. One day, I'll have to create an anime series of a chef who solves mysteries through cooking. ;)
Mave

Postby Doe Johnson » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:57 pm

everdred12a wrote:In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police who investigate crime and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.

lol, I love Law & Order. I want to say that I don't like one more than another, but each has its good points. Plain ol' Law & Order... it's the original. You can't dislike it. I like SVU because it has Ice-T (I'm not a rap fan or anything, I just think Ice-T is kind of funny), and CI probably has some of the best stories. My profile pic is a L&O parody sort of thing.

In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories.

...I always feel weird when I can quote this to people...

EDIT: I guess I should add more...SVU is the only one I've ever regularly watched. I've seen a few episodes of the original and CI, plus the movie, but I never really go into them. Plus I always seemed to see the same episode of CI everytime - the one about the artist with multiple wives.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Jack Bond » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:12 pm

My favorite is SVU. (Not that I like the fact that it's sexual! <.<;; ) I also watch CI on occasion.
Jack Bond

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Nothing beats the Original.

Watching Law and Order: SVU is not my cup of Ice-T.

D`OH!

EDIT: Darn, I had no idea people already made references to Ice-T being in the cast. Darn.
Tommy

Postby R. Zion » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:19 pm

I'm not sure I have a favorite....I'm fond of all the flavors of L&O.

Lenny Briscoe had to be my favorite character, though, just because of his comments, though I also like Assist. DA McCoy. *shrugs* There's just something distinguished about Sam Waterston (or however you spell his last name).
R. Zion

Postby Rogie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:14 pm

[quote="Mave"]Rogie-san, I'm not sure if my family and friends enjoy watching anime, crime investigation, and food network as much as I do. (-__-)\\ I gave up trying to convince that these themes all go hand in hand. One day, I'll have to create an anime series of a chef who solves mysteries through cooking. ]

Detective Iron Chef Conan... Me likes. :grin:
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Mave wrote:Out of pure curiosity, does anyone watch Law & Order? And if so, which one do you prefer?
I like the original series, probably because I fall for the half-investigation half-trial format (and that catchy theme tune... and that catchy "dun-DUN" sound). Criminal Intent seems to me a little too far-fetched with its main investigator being a Sherlock Holmes wannabe. SVU... I don't know... I guess I want that trial bit.

Detective Briscoe was one of the best characters.... Too bad the actor that played him, Jerry Orbach, passed away. I also like the McCoy/Carmichael team while it lasted. When they used ruthless tactics, I found it strangely satisfying, which I suppose shows a shade of my dark side.

Mave wrote:... Jack's *cough* numerous female assistants.
Yeah.... So?
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby everdred12a » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Mave wrote:I looked at your profile pic but I'm not sure whether I get it. Shame on me, shame on me!!!

There's not really a joke behind it, I just think it's funny ^_^

everdred12a

Postby Tommy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:52 am

No one noticed my Ice-T joke? Good, it`s a lame pun.

Anyways, I have to agree with Omega Amen. The half-investigation, half-trial format really worked in originality. I like the detective`s sense of humor in the original as well.
Tommy

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:56 am

Definately my favorite crime show! I love all the seasons actually. SVU and CI being my favorite.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Technomancer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:22 pm

[quote="Mave"]
I've never heard of those you've mentioned. (0_0)]

They're both TV series from Britain. "Inspector Morse" was a contemporary mystery series based on Colin Dexter's novels and starred the late John Thaw (who also starred in the courtroom drama Kavanagh Q.C.). "Foyle's War" is a mystery series set in Britain during WWII and is described here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/foyleswar/
There are more episodes though than seem to be listed. Currently it's also airing here on TVO.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mave » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:19 pm

Omega Amen wrote: Criminal Intent seems to me a little too far-fetched with its main investigator being a Sherlock Holmes wannabe.

I never thought of him in that way (lol) but I have to admit I have a hard time liking him as much as other L&O detectives.

On a random note, I wondered why SVU always involved sexual crimes for the longest time until I listened carefully to the opening statement....

Detective Briscoe was one of the best characters.... Too bad the actor that played him, Jerry Orbach, passed away. I also like the McCoy/Carmichael team while it lasted. When they used ruthless tactics, I found it strangely satisfying, which I suppose shows a shade of my dark side.

Sigh....Jerry Orbach. Yes, what a shame to lose those wisecracks. (-__-)\\ I also confess to the same type of satisfaction when it comes to some of the DA's scrupulous tactics. "Hang 'em all!" XD]
Yeah.... So?[/QUOTE]
In all seriousness, are most DA assistants young and female in real life or is this hiring practice just a personal preference of this particular DA office? I'm aware that some professions tend to contribute to a certain demographic.

Yahoo, I'm not the only nutcase who enjoys watching court scenes and crime investigation. XD Thanks, Techno btw.
Mave

Return to General Entertainment