Comicbook Heroes Religious Affiliations

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Comicbook Heroes Religious Affiliations

Postby ashfire » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:27 pm

I found on Yahoo.com that they had for offer a website that shows the religious affiliation of super heroes http://www.ComicBookReligion.com
ashfire

Postby Ashley » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Huh, I knew Kitty Pryde was Jewish, but I had no idea it was so varied. Rogue is without a doubt the coolest Baptist chick, evah. XD
Ashley

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:50 pm

while they're not the coolest mutants, both cannonball and husk are also in the xmen too, so i guess it looks like the baptists kinda outnumber the other religions and denominations in that group

...i never pegged wolvie to be a buddhist though, i mean, granted, he just uses his hands to fight, but i have yet to see him toting prayer beads with him
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:17 pm

Lutheran Super-heroes? This is too funny!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Shadowchild » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:26 pm

Isn't that the title of a song? Hmm... *ponders*
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby Arnobius » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:29 pm

sorry double post when I meant to edit
Arnobius

Postby Arnobius » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm

Looks like a mixed bag for my denomination. Some portrayed devoutly (Nightcrawler) and others portrayed rather stereotyped.

Of course overall, I think it was interesting that most of the chara of all denominations (older ones anyway) started out with no religion and then developed it as the chara evolved.

Yeshua-Knight wrote:...i never pegged wolvie to be a buddhist though, i mean, granted, he just uses his hands to fight, but i have yet to see him toting prayer beads with him

Probably came around with that Japanese arc in the 1980's with Lady Mariko
Arnobius

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:33 pm

yeah, between her and lady deathstrike, i tell ya i don't know of any other superhero with as many ties to japan as he does, i don't think even the silver samurai himself has as many

..which makes me wonder...

what is wolverine's favorite anime?

.....prolly hamtaro or somethin' like that
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Funny how there are only two Lutheran Superheroes. Maybe they didn't like the change? (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Arnobius » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Yeshua-Knight wrote:yeah, between her and lady deathstrike, i tell ya i don't know of any other superhero with as many ties to japan as he does, i don't think even the silver samurai himself has as many

..which makes me wonder...

what is wolverine's favorite anime?

.....prolly hamtaro or somethin' like that

LOL. That would be ironic.

speaking generally:
It was interesting reading the article on Daredevil... so much of what Marvel did there was just plain inaccurate.
Arnobius

Postby Rexman64 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Funny how there are only two Lutheran Superheroes. Maybe they didn't like the change? (lol)

Look a bit closer at those two... Jimmy Olsen's not even really a superhero, and check that Mastodon guys profile: "Raised Lutheran, now atheist". :sweat:

Say... I wonder what religion Thor is? XD;;
Don't defrost the alligator.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time...
Rexman64

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:23 pm

They also have neglected to say what belief Dr Strange holds. Oh well...
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:08 am

Crud. Lutherans get a bit of a bad name then, eh Rexman?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:01 am

Rexman64 wrote:I wonder what religion Thor is?

Well, the real Thor, of Norse mythology, was a pagan, raised in the old Norse ways. He'd heft a drink to himself now and again (and again, and again, and again) by way of observance. As for the comic character, idk.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Arnobius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:51 am

bigsleepj wrote:They also have neglected to say what belief Dr Strange holds. Oh well...

The Horry hosts of Hoggoth?
Arnobius

Postby ashfire » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:46 pm

Since these were all American comic book heros, how would anime characters in manga or anime itself be affiliated with a religion.
I figure most of the characters in Saint Tail would be Catholic.
ashfire

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:35 pm

as i understand it, most anime characters, simply due to various abilities that they seem to demonstrate, would be buddhist, either that or atheist
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Yeah, most anime characters would be atheist or agnostic. There are quite a few Shinto anime characters...and yes, most of the characters in Saint Tail are Catholic. But that's a bit off topic, methinks.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby soul alive » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 pm

It's interresting that Superman and Supergirl are both Methodist (the church I grew up in). Superman's back story seems pretty reasonable, but Supergirl sounds rather, iffy, at best with the whole earth-born angel thing...
Haven't read hardly any superhero comics myself, though, only a few Superman comics that my dad had as a kid.. so I can't really say.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 am

Although I found the site interesting, I found a majority of some super-hero characters' beliefs to be superficial at best, even the non-Christian lot. Off course those whose powers are based on a belief-system (like the Voodoo-heroes) are a different matter, but overall even the Buddhists are very dry in the respect of the depiction of their beliefs. This however sometimes is the result of decades of different writers giving different spins on the characters.

And another problem is that sometimes the person's beliefs is used in a sensationalistic sense, as if to give some sort of 'kick' to some oddballs. For instance the confessor character who uses "exploding rosary beads" and tells his victims "I will absolve you of your sins." :shake:

Edit: That said, I'm not really dumping on the comics and super-heroes as a whole (I love reading these stories), its just that I'm not fond of the idea that (a) a character's beliefs are controlled by whim of whatever writer is assigned to him and (b) that sometimes the basics of these characters' beliefs are not understood by the people writing it, even if they don't have an axe to grind with this belief.
bigsleepj

Postby Steeltemplar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:10 am

bigsleepj wrote:Although I found the site interesting, I found a majority of some super-hero characters' beliefs to be superficial at best, even the non-Christian lot. Off course those whose powers are based on a belief-system (like the Voodoo-heroes) are a different matter, but overall even the Buddhists are very dry in the respect of the depiction of their beliefs. This however sometimes is the result of decades of different writers giving different spins on the characters.

And another problem is that sometimes the person's beliefs is used in a sensationalistic sense, as if to give some sort of 'kick' to some oddballs. For instance the confessor character who uses "exploding rosary beads" and tells his victims "I will absolve you of your sins." :shake:

Edit: That said, I'm not really dumping on the comics and super-heroes as a whole (I love reading these stories), its just that I'm not fond of the idea that (a) a character's beliefs are controlled by whim of whatever writer is assigned to him and (b) that sometimes the basics of these characters' beliefs are not understood by the people writing it, even if they don't have an axe to grind with this belief.

Yeah, I suspect that most of the people at Marvel and DC have not been of the devoutly religious persuasion.

Another example (as AH mentioned Daredevil):
"In the "Born Again" storyline written by Frank Miller, it was revealed that Matt Murdock's mother, who he never knew as a child, had left his father sometime after Matt was born and became a nun."

The Church would never accept a woman to be a nun under that condition. I don't know if Frank Miller just thought this would be interesting or has something against Catholicism or Christianity.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:53 am

NightCrawlers's father is Satan? Hm...
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Notice how there is no Christian group.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Arnobius » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:17 pm

Yeshua-Knight wrote:as i understand it, most anime characters, simply due to various abilities that they seem to demonstrate, would be buddhist, either that or atheist

I think most anime characters seem to be indifferent to religion.

There was an episode of Sailor Moon where Rei's grandfather was trying to recruit the girls to work at a shrine, and Usagi tried to make an excuse saying "I wouldn't be good at chanting all those suras."

Her grandfather replies with "THIS IS A SHRINE! WE DON'T DO SURAS!"

indicating Usagi can't tell the difference between Shinto and Buddhism
Arnobius

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 am

Tom Dincht wrote:Notice how there is no Christian group.

Um, you do realize that six out of the 16 groups are actually different denominations of Christianity?

Not that it matters much to me, since i'm non-denominal, but...seriously, there's quite a few Christian groups in there.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:21 am

It's quite interesting to read that, but in the comic books the faith of some superheroes actually does not seem to play a real and tangible part in influencing their actions.

A counter example would be the Nightcrawler.

Also, depending on who the writer is, the superheroes seem to have a decidedly different religious inclination. For example, Superman usually tends to acknowledge 'God' as a real entity in his conversations, but in the Godfall series, he got a pro-Kryptonian (Raon) religious slant.

I guess comic writers like to keep their characters flexible.
Sammy Boy

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:19 am

I wasn't surprised to find Batman, Daredevil, and Nightcrawler in their respective categories. I've always thought of Batman as quite devoutly Christian. (He sure acts like it!) But why are Lisa Simpson and Jimmy Olsen profiled? They aren't superheroes.
Actually, as far as anime characters go, I can think of a few characters who seem Christian:
  • Wolfwood (obviously, he is a priest, albeit a hypocritical one. But aren't a lot of Christians hypocritical at times. I know I'm guilty of this)
  • Alice in Please Save My Earth (she actually prays to God for Rin's life in the manga version. In fact she prays to God quite a lot)
  • In Robotech/Macross, one character did a sign of the cross. Forget who it was. But then, I only know this because someone else told me once.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews