Do you often agree with professional critics?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Do you often agree with professional critics?

Postby Allegro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:04 pm

I was curious to know if reading a movie review (or multiple reviews) tends to dictate your decision on watching it in theaters?

Movie critics tend to have more "refined" tastes as opposed to a lot us, since they've seen a lot more movies than we have. So I usually take that into consideration when I hear them give an average or below-average review. But sometimes their decisions might help me if I am clueless on the movie overall.

Though there are a few movies that I enjoy, when after looking at what is given in the Rottentomatoes site, were found to be "bad" among the critics.
Allegro

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:10 pm

All movies have their detractors. Although I have a refined taste (art-house movies and such) I tend to like the less artsy movies as well.
bigsleepj

Postby EireWolf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't listen to critics. I listen to my friends -- I know their tastes somewhat, and can gauge my reaction to their opinion accordingly. There have been many movies I liked that critics dissed, and many movies that critics raved about that I didn't care for.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Gypsy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Yeah, I'm with the wolf on this one. If anything, I'll read the professional reviews *after* I watch the movie and my opinion is formed. And I watch things in the first place because I either saw the trailer or I heard about it by word of mouth.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Lynx » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:53 pm

in my experience, if a critic says a movie is good, it's good... if they say it's bad... it still might be good :P
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:57 pm

Somtimes I listen to them, somtimes I don't. Most times it takes seeing a film myself before I can really cast judgement on a movie. And most of the time I don't agree with major critics.
Stephen

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:49 am

There are a few critics I pay attention to. This isn't because I like their opinions, but because in my experience I can tell quite a bit about a movie based on their reactions (when some of them don't like certain things I assume I'll probably like them). But overall this is secondary to feedback from my peers with similar tastes.

Though it matters very little because I see movies so very rarely.
uc pseudonym

Postby creed4 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:55 am

My taste never seem to match theirs
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Tarnish » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 am

It's all a matter of tastes, no matter how many bad reviews a movie gets there is going to be at least one person who likes it.

That said, no. I do not often agree with professional critics.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:29 am

i will listen to them everyonce in a while but most of the time i go with friends
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Sweet Mercury » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 am

Allegro wrote:I was curious to know if reading a movie review (or multiple reviews) tends to dictate your decision on watching it in theaters?

Movie critics tend to have more "refined" tastes as opposed to a lot us, since they've seen a lot more movies than we have. So I usually take that into consideration when I hear them give an average or below-average review. But sometimes their decisions might help me if I am clueless on the movie overall.

Though there are a few movies that I enjoy, when after looking at what is given in the Rottentomatoes site, were found to be "bad" among the critics.

The best way to deal with critics is to use their opinions to your advantage. If you find one whose opinion parallels yours quite often, then you can usually trust their judgment. I can usually trust Roger Ebert's reviews]The Butterfly Effect[/i] a mediocre review, while I enjoyed it immensely.

Basically, a critic that you trust can be a good starting point.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:32 pm

No,primarily because I strongly feel that one should go with one's own tastes in these matters and not what some idiot in New York,Chicago or Los Angeles says.
In any case all critics have their own personal preferences and prejudices and a lot of what they say is based in that.There can't be such a thing as a really objective review of anything as the said reviewers personal tastes and prejudices will always tend to surface sooner or later.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:38 pm

One thing I would very much like to see is a website with movie reviews from a broad variety of places... except that you could choose the rating. For each movie, you could link to a critic that gave it one, two, three, or four stars, depending upon whether you want to like the movie or not. I doubt many people would use it (unless for the variety of opinion), but it would make an interesting statement.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:06 pm

I think word of mouth is the best way of knowing how good or bad a movie is,if you know someone who has seen the movie already and they know what you like you're more likely to get an honest idea of what the movie is like than from reading it in the paper or online.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sweet Mercury » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:09 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:One thing I would very much like to see is a website with movie reviews from a broad variety of places... except that you could choose the rating. For each movie, you could link to a critic that gave it one, two, three, or four stars, depending upon whether you want to like the movie or not. I doubt many people would use it (unless for the variety of opinion), but it would make an interesting statement.

IMDB.com has user reviews, as well as Amazon.com. They aren't professional reviews, just average joes.

Generally, it's a good idea to read a few of the reviews by the people who gave the movie 1 or 2 stars, because quite often they do so out of spite and quite obviously didn't "get" the movie in the least. The problem is that when the "average" rating indicates the "arithmetical mean" rating, a few very low marks can skew the entire rating of the movie.

Out of curiosity, I did some looking for the type of sight you were describing, and found none. The only list of critical reviews I could find were for "Top 100" lists and the like.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby Sai » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:42 pm

I usually don't read any reviews made by the critics. Half of them say a movie is great and two thumbs up then the other half says it is the worst movie they have ever seen. But as i said before i don't read a whole ton of them so maybe its different than i think.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby dreamhacker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Often I agree with critics, though not always. There are some movies that get bad critics but I like, but this often depends on what genre it is; often I find comedy funny to watch even though it might get bad critics. :)
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
dreamhacker

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Nope, I don't bother listening to the critics. The critics gave Artificial Intelligence fantastic reviews, but I hated that movie. XD At the same time, critics have given bad reviews to movies that I liked, so I don't really listen to them at all. I just watch what looks good, and if I enjoy it, I enjoy it, but if I don't, then I don't. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby oro! » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Critics from most newspapers and the like will go for anything that looks immoral and praise it, it seems. I don't read their columns anymore.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby TurkishMonky » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:13 pm

usually i have much different tastes then critics, but we usually agree on big box office hits (LOTR, SW, etc.)

for example, i saw some reviews giving flightplan a 6 or 7 out of 10... i gave it a 2. horrible plot development...
TurkishMonky

Postby Allegro » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:51 pm

I'll admit that I do watch the Ebert and Roeper show on Sunday nights. It's funny how when one of them disagrees on a movie, drama immediately unfolds between the two critics. So usually supporting just one critic for a movie decision doesn't help as much as knowing their individual tastes.
Allegro

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:31 pm

No way. I never listen to movie critics ^_^. 90% of them gave bad reviews to the Pokemon movies. I almost never read movie reviews until AFTER I've seen a movie
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Well Pokemon isn't exactly Shakespeare, but then again Shakespeare isn't all that great either! (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby CreatureArt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:03 pm

I follow the same method as quite a few of the others who have posted here. I tend to listen to the opinions of my friends and if they're really into a movie I will probably go and see it if I get the chance (usually when it comes out on DVD though :) ).

However, since I don't really know anyone who is really into anime and manga I tend to use the reviews on CAA and I've found that my opinions have matched the reviewers on the anime I've watched so far. I also got into quite a few anime due to people's enthusiasm over the CAA, too. So for mainstream movies I'll use my friends for reviews, but for anime I'll check out the CAA more. I guess I'm a bit of both.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Return to General Entertainment