Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:40 pm

Which would you prefere?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Allegro » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:44 pm

In general, I like widescreen, even though I own a 'regular' TV.

Like you demonstrated, you lose the original composition of the movie if you chop off to fit fullscreen.
Allegro

Postby Night » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:23 pm

Allegro wrote:In general, I like widescreen, even though I own a 'regular' TV.

Like you demonstrated, you lose the original composition of the movie if you chop off to fit fullscreen.

Basically the same reason. I just want the whole movie.
SpadeRunner Illustrations - Comic coming soon...ish.
Night

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:36 pm

Wide-screen all the way. You can't watch a Kurosawa or a Sergio Leone movie filmed in wide-screen in a full screen. Riots have been started on these travesties. You don't crop 45% of a movie.

Quick note: Most movies made before 1954 do not have wide-screen since its not been implimented yet. Some movies experimented with it before, but 1954 the new aspect-rations were introduced. So if you complain that your copy of Wizard of Oz is not widescreen, you'll have to be careful not to make a fool of yourself.
bigsleepj

Postby Lynx » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:35 pm

definatly widescreen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont want to miss anything!!!
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:37 pm

I prefer dual-format DVD because I have a 4:3 TV, but I know in the future I'll probably end up with a widescreen. Best of both worlds.

If I can't buy dual, I buy widescreen.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am

I like both, but I went with full because everything that`s missed obviously isn`t that important and I don`t like those black bars.
Tommy

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:41 am

Tom Dincht wrote:I like both, but I went with full because everything that`s missed obviously isn`t that important...

I don't want to attack you, but I'd like to say that it is important. That's how the director and the director of photography set up the movie to look. They wanted to make full use of the screen and paint in the corners. If you paint a picture and someone decides to cut half of it away because it is not important for them, would you be happy?

I have watched several movies over the years on full-screen on video. Watching these movies on DVD in full-screen is like seeing a whole other movie. For instance; in the movie Ben-Hur there is a part where Ben-Hur behind a rock - we see Ben-Hur and we hear the words, but we don't see how the people he is hiding from mysteriously exits a dark and forboding cave. Another instance from the same movie - Ben-Hur gives a coin to a blind beggar. In the video, as he walks away, you only hear a 'ting' sound of little consequence. In the DVD you see that beggar has actually slowly tossed the coin away.

In short, it is important because you miss so much of the little things, sometimes. Widescreens are more rewarding. Sure, the black bars can be irritating (i'll give you that) but still they are justified. I don't have a widescreen TV and wont be able to afford one within at least a decade, but still I prefer to see the whole picture.

Here are some excellent wide-screen movies:
• The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
• Ben-Hur
• Yojimbo and its sequel, Sanjuro
• The Last Samurai
• Road to Perdition
bigsleepj

Postby Scribs » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:02 am

I do not tollerate panning and scanning
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Rexman64 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:05 am

I own action figures of Star Wars characters that you can't even see in the fullscreen version.

So the widescreen is for me.
Don't defrost the alligator.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time...
Rexman64

Postby Scepth » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:08 am

I don't mind watching on widescreen.. but I prefer fullscreen for some reason. >.>;

_[color=LemonChiffon]__
__. .______[/color]
\\\[color=plum]_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]\ /_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]///[/color]
[color=plum]\\_[/Color]═╬═[color=plum]_//[/color]
\[Color=Plum]|[/color][Color=Plum]|/[/color]

:[color=indigo]::Mäķė Beļïëv3:::[/color]
[color=Indigo]Şčęק†ђ[/color]
<@
Scepth

Postby soul alive » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Widescreen all the way.

I used to be annoyed by the black bars, since we had a full-screen tv, and thought that they had cropped part of the movie off the top and bottom. But I have long since learned better, and always try to buy/rent widescreen. My laptop being a widescreen really helps, though.

TCM runs a short special every once in a while on the disadvantages of pan and scan, and it really explains well why widescreen is better. You're seeing all of the movie that you were intended to see. Imagine if paintings were cut into pieces in order to fit places, it just wouldn't be right; and IMHO, movies are just as much of an art form as paintings.

Something slightly humorous I've seen is when people take old, pre-widescreen movies or made-for-fullscreen-tv movies and chop the top and bottom off in an attempt to make them widescreen. I've only seen it a couple times, though.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:49 pm

Allegro wrote:In general, I like widescreen, even though I own a 'regular' TV.

Try telling that to my dad. >_<

I go for widescreen. The only thing that I will watch in full screen is anime that was done in 4:3 and tv shows. Now a days, some anime are in wide screen format.

Wingzero22
Roy Mustang

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:09 pm

I can't stand full screen. Just looks cheap compared to the widescreen. In The Phantom Menace fullscreen version during the podrace, you don't get to see a certain bounty hunter...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Maledicte » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:29 pm

Widescreen all the way. I'm also very happy that anime is now being produced in widescreen format.

although I did end up buying the pan-and-scan version of Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit on accident. Which is a shame, so many of the visual jokes are lost.
Maledicte

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:37 pm

Our family has one tv and it isn't widescreen. But I still prefer widescreen to full screen. Its more cinematic even for tv shows. The only times I would go with full screen is for a bigger image or if that's the only option its available in (older tv shows/movies etc). Widescreen it is for me. Though most of my family prefers fullscreen (for the bigger image).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:20 pm

If the DVD is in widescreen IT MUST BE VIEWED IN WIDESCREEN!! It's a rule. Even though we have no 16:9 TVs or monitors. And I get slightly irritated if people use the 'zoom' feature on the DVD player to make it full screen.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:32 am

my laptop is also widescreen...
TurkishMonky

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:26 am

/me just got a new monitor and is now viewing this "Widescreen."
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:54 am

I throw a fit if a DVD isn't available in widescreen. Unless of course, it wasn't originally in widescreen anyway, like with older movies or TV shows.

It took a long time to convince my dad that the black bars aren't cutting off any of the movie. :p The bars don't bother me at all, personally.

A good way to explain it is that TVs are square and movie screens are rectangles...therefore, for the rectangle to fit in the square it has to be cut off at the ends, which means you're losing a chunk of the picture.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:46 pm

I used to hate Widescreen. The black bars drove me crazy. But I was converted to a widescreen supporter by one single DVD. Pokemon 2000. I'd seen the movie in theaters 3 times and loved it, and when I got the full screen DVD the difference was painfully obvious. In some scenes characters would be cut out completly, or you would only be able to see their arm or something on the very edge of the frame. Since then I always get widescreen. I've even made my dad exchange gifts because he bought full screen instead of wide screen ^^
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:48 am

And I get slightly irritated if people use the 'zoom' feature on the DVD player to make it full screen.

It's so retarded when people do that >.<!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby creed4 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:46 pm

Widescreen of course, I used to hate it until I learned that the picture was being cut, now I won't buy full screen if I can avoid it.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby TrigunX89 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:40 am

Widescreen for me. You get to see the whole picture. Plus, widescreen tv sets are supposed to become standard in the next few years anyway. (no, I don't have one)
TrigunX89

Postby kaji » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:59 am

Wide Screen for me please! ^_^
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Oh, I hate watching movies in Fullscreen. I don't even notice the black bars anymore, I watch widescreen so often. Unfortunately, my copy of The Last Samurai is in Fullscreen, since I was in a hurry when I bought it and forgot to check. T_T It's not like, the END of the world if I end up with Full, I still have the movie, but Widescreen is SOOO much better. SO much.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:22 pm

TrigunX89 wrote:Widescreen for me. You get to see the whole picture. Plus, widescreen tv sets are supposed to become standard in the next few years anyway. (no, I don't have one)

MY dad said that about TV a couple of years ago. Now you go anywhere and you'll find widescreen TVs. We used to owna big screen widescreen tv... but we sold it >.<!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:45 pm

yea widescreen =more detail
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby creed4 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 am

I play around with the zoom on my dad tv the last time I visted, but I notice it croped some of the show
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby SVD997 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:10 am

I used to hate widescreen until I fully understood that I was actually getting more. Now, I must have it. :-)
Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of that great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.
~Titus 2:13

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
SVD997

Next

Return to General Entertainment