Lights Off or On?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Lights Off or On?

Postby Allegro » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:56 pm

Do you guys often turn off the lights when watching a movie or anime at your home?

For me, I find that any movie I rent or buy for the first time warrents a formal viewing. Especially if it's a good one.

It's kind of half and half with anime, since the episodes are short enough to not bother leaving the lights off for thirty minutes. Again, that depends on if it's a good series. :)
Allegro

Postby everdred12a » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:08 pm

I prefer to turn the lights off. It's not for any kind of formal thing... I just do it.

everdred12a

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:12 pm

I usually have lights on, but sometimes have them off. It depends. I prefer them off, but when my family wants to watch something they want them on.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:30 pm

lights off so i don't get any glare
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Lynx » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:18 pm

lights off for sure!
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby termyt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:52 am

Termyt's disclaimer: Watching a TV in too dark a room can be bad for your eyes. A modest amount of light should come from another source other than your TV.

That said, I like to watch movies in the dark. I usually have a lamp on dimly behind me though. If for nothing else, that aount of constant light makes transitions from very dark scenes to very light ones less painful.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:16 am

I'm not sure where you heard this -- there's no evidence to suggest this is true, or else everyone who goes to the movies regularly would also suffer. After all, it's a big TV in a dark room, more or less ...

About the only thing about those kinds of old wives' tales that *is* true is that people who do a lot of near work can become slightly nearsighted as the eyes adjust, and this may have been the root for some of the reading and TV myths that are out there.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:08 am

My goodness -- I leave the lights on so I can see while I eat! :lol:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:10 am

If it's TV, then doesn't matter if lights are on or not, but it's somehow irratating for me if lights are on, when you watch a movie at night.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:51 am

Definately lights off so I can totally focus and get sucked into it. But yeah, when watching anime in my room, I usually have my desk lamp dimly lit. Woot, Termyt! XD
Ichigo_89

Postby Allegro » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I'll admit that it does get a little disorienting to turn the lights back on after being in the dark for a good two hours or so. I'm also not sure about the long term effects though.

Is it the same as saying that you aren't suppose to read in the dark without a good amount of lighting?
Allegro

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:09 pm

I usually have only the lamp next to my bed on.Unless the power goes off like yesterday night and then it doesn't matter.
mitsuki lover

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Allegro wrote:I'll admit that it does get a little disorienting to turn the lights back on after being in the dark for a good two hours or so. I'm also not sure about the long term effects though.

Is it the same as saying that you aren't suppose to read in the dark without a good amount of lighting?

This, too, is a myth.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tommy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

Dark, with a giant screen and surround sound. I love my Entertainment System.
Tommy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

I usually watch with the lights on. I dunno why, I guess I just don't think to turn them off anymore. During the day, I close the shades because the windows make the screen glare really bad.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sweet Mercury » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:06 pm

If it's anime, lights off, subbed, and a nice hot cup of Gyokuro.
"I have determined neither to laugh nor to weep over the actions of men, but merely to understand them." - Benedict de Spinoza
Sweet Mercury

Postby MasterDias » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:36 pm

That depends. If it's dark, I usually like to have at least one lamp on so I won't trip over stuff when I get up.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Allegro wrote:
I'll admit that it does get a little disorienting to turn the lights back on after being in the dark for a good two hours or so. I'm also not sure about the long term effects though.

shooraijin wrote:This, too, is a myth.

I was told in english lit class that Milton went blind because all of his stories were written in dimly lit candle light :/

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that lightening can effect people who are prone to seizures. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those wanings at the begining of anime about "watching anime in a well-lit room" was the result of that Pokemon incident? (Only speculating here though...)
Even when I see fast blinking lights in the dark it seems a lot more extreme in the dark than in a "well-lit room" ^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Maledicte » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:24 pm

I like to see my food when I eat it.
Maledicte

Postby Stephen » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:42 am

If its a horror movie...lights off. Anything else, I really don't care. As others have said...I like seeing food if I am eating while I am watching the movie.
Stephen

Postby TurkishMonky » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:29 am

lights off!
TurkishMonky

Postby Jack Bond » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:45 am

I almost always watch with the light on. When my family is watching a movie, we turn it off though. I don't know why, but it makes me uncomfortable to have the lights off.
Jack Bond

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:38 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I was told in english lit class that Milton went blind because all of his stories were written in dimly lit candle light :/

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that lightening can effect people who are prone to seizures. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those wanings at the begining of anime about "watching anime in a well-lit room" was the result of that Pokemon incident? (Only speculating here though...)
Even when I see fast blinking lights in the dark it seems a lot more extreme in the dark than in a "well-lit room" ^^

I hasten to note that English lit teachers are not ophthalmologists ;)

Lightning -- or any rapidly flashing light source or screen -- can sometimes trigger certain types of seizures, yes. Video games also carry this warning for that reason.

shooraijin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:44 am

I always have the lights on when I watch movies. I think I just find it more comfortable when I'm watching something with the lights on, especially during the daytime. However, if I'm in bed watching a movie or anime, then I will more than likely have my lights off. I guess it just depends on my mood. :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Off, unless it hurts my eyes and I'm forced to turn on a dim lamp or something. Watching movies in the afternoon with all that glare is just awful, and I avoid it whenever possible. (Or just watch in my windowless basement.)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby termyt » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:56 pm

shooraijin wrote:I'm not sure where you heard this -- there's no evidence to suggest this is true, or else everyone who goes to the movies regularly would also suffer. After all, it's a big TV in a dark room, more or less ...

Whether there is evidence to back the old wives tale up or not, there are several differences between movies in a theater and TV's

Most significant in my mind is the light source. In the movie theater, you are watching light reflected off of a screen instead of staring directly into a light source.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm

I wouldn't think the source would make a difference, only the relative brightness. Photons are photons.

shooraijin

Postby Scepth » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm

Normally, when I'm watching I keep atleast a bit of light on. Lights off when I'm watching scary movies.

_[color=LemonChiffon]__
__. .______[/color]
\\\[color=plum]_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]\ /_[Color=LemonChiffon]__[/color]///[/color]
[color=plum]\\_[/Color]═╬═[color=plum]_//[/color]
\[Color=Plum]|[/color][Color=Plum]|/[/color]

:[color=indigo]::Mäķė Beļïëv3:::[/color]
[color=Indigo]Şčęק†ђ[/color]
<@
Scepth

Postby Night » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:44 am

Lights on. For some reason, my eyes kinda hurt at times when they're off.
SpadeRunner Illustrations - Comic coming soon...ish.
Night

Postby Scribs » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:30 am

off, whenever possible
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Next

Return to General Entertainment