The Pink Panther

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Pink Panther

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:29 pm

So, who's been to see this movie? :lol:

I went to see it today, and I absolutely CRACKED UP! Steve Martin is SO funny, especially with his accent he uses for Inspector Clusseau. And he even made a near-allusion to SNL's "We are two wild and crazy guys!", which was GREAT! XD There were SO many funny scenes, I don't know where to begin. :lol: But I think one of my favorite scenes was the "hamburger" scene...if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. XD So, who else has seen this movie?
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:51 pm

I dunno...Steve Martin as Inspector Clousseau just sounds....weird to me. Maybe I'll rent it or go see it when it goes to the dollar theatre.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tommy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:08 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:I dunno...Steve Martin as Inspector Clousseau just sounds....weird to me.

Think of one actor that could do better.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:28 am

Tom Dincht wrote:Think of one actor that could do better.

Peter Sellers.

Grayscale Ninja wrote:(Anyone remember that one film were Inspector Clusseau goes to the Sweedish Alps in persue of Charles Litton's wife?)

Yup, that's Return of the Pink Panther and is my personal favourite of the series by far, with Strikes Again a distant second.

Herbert Lom also could get more apoplectic than Kevin Kline. However, I do like Jean Reno even if he's a combo-Francoise/Cato role.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 am

Tom Dincht wrote:Think of one actor that could do better.

shooraijin wrote:Peter Sellers

Ah, beaten to it. It takes a very skilled actor to make Clusseau work - hilarity is never that far from idiocy.

shooraijin wrote:Yup, that's Return of the Pink Panther and is my personal favourite of the series by far

Same here.

For those of you who have seen both the old films and this new one, please post and tell us what you thought. I want to give this movie a chance, but I'm not going to spend any time or money on it until I have some reason to believe that it isn't just a cheap derivative of the original movies.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:03 am

I'm wondering that myself. I just bought a boxset of all of the original PP movies. Good stuff. I've never been a huge Steve Martin fan, so that will probably taint my view of his performance in cmparison to Peter Sellers.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:54 am

Is Return in that set? Return was the odd man out because it was released by ITC, not MGM. Last I checked, the MGM box set "only" contains the original Pink Panther, A Shot In The Dark (very funny), then skips to Strikes Again, Revenge and Trail, done after Sellers died using outtakes from the previous films. It actually works for about half the movie until they ran out of material.

Anyway, all that to say that you may be missing the best one of the lot -- Return of the Pink Panther has the best plot and some of the best gags. It was Seller's return to the role after a long hiatus, and I think MGM didn't pick it up. Too bad, because it made $55 million (a lot in 1975). You should get it if it's not in the box.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Question: what is the connection between the cartoon pink panther and the movies? Seriously, I used to think that these movies were one of them old live-actions with a cartoon panther in them up until now where there's no sign of him >_< So what's the deal with it anyways?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Puritan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:01 pm

The cartoon panther was in the credits, and I think he was made into a cartoon after the movies (although I could be wrong about the timing). Other than the credits there is no sign of the cartoon panther in the films.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:23 pm

Puritan wrote:The cartoon panther was in the credits, and I think he was made into a cartoon after the movies (although I could be wrong about the timing). Other than the credits there is no sign of the cartoon panther in the films.

*scratches head*

Now I wonder why they would call the title that. Any relation to the main character or anything? A nickname or something maybe?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby shooraijin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:25 pm

The diamond was called the Pink Panther (in both the original movie and Return).

The best intro animations were not the Chuck Jones, though -- I much preferred the Richard Williams Studios ones. These appeared in Return of the Pink Panther and The Pink Panther Strikes Again (which was the best-animated of the bunch). The backgrounds were exceptionally well done, and so were the title and font effects.

shooraijin

Postby Tommy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:25 pm

shooraijin wrote:The best intro animations were not the Chuck Jones, though -- I much preferred the Richard Williams Studios ones. These appeared in Return of the Pink Panther and The Pink Panther Strikes Again (which was the best-animated of the bunch). The backgrounds were exceptionally well done, and so were the title and font effects.

No offence, but something tells me you`re one of the few people who actually pay attention to that stuff.

Don`t hate. :angel:
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Now I wonder why they would call the title that. Any relation to the main character or anything? A nickname or something maybe?

Note shooraijin's answer, though I'll provide a bit more information. A major element of two of the films is the largest diamond in the world, a fictional gem called the Pink Panther. This is supposedly because if it is held to the light you can see the image of a panther in the pinkish refraction.

Tom Dincht wrote:No offence, but something tells me you`re one of the few people who actually pay attention to that stuff.

The opening animations play during the credits and last several minutes; some of them can be rather funny. So they aren't inconsequential.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Not only did the original have Peter Sellers but the great Henry Mancini theme.Nothing beat the Henry Mancini theme.

off topic:Was Inspector Zingata in Lupin The Third supposed to be a take-off of
Clouseau?
mitsuki lover

Postby Arnobius » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:17 pm

mitsuki lover wrote:Not only did the original have Peter Sellers but the great Henry Mancini theme.Nothing beat the Henry Mancini theme.

off topic:Was Inspector Zingata in Lupin The Third supposed to be a take-off of
Clouseau?

The original Zenigata was the hero of some Japanese detective novels set in Samurai Japan. I recall he was supposed to be able to disarm opponents by throwing coins at them. He had a sidekick that did his legwork for him. Inspector Zenigata was supposed to be a descendent.

Urusei Yatsura parodied this once by having the original Lupin meet the original Zenigata in a parody of Urashima Taro
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:44 pm

I *do* think it's plausible that Monkey Punch may have incorporated some of Clouseau into Zenigata's character design, though, since the manga came after the first movie or two. They were well-known worldwide, so it's not inconceivable.

shooraijin

Postby termyt » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:54 am

The set does not have Return in it, I spoke out of turn when I said "all of the originals," so I apologize for any confusion. It would, of course, be very unlikely to stick a movie by a different company in a boxset.

I agree, the animation in the opening of Strikes Again is the best.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:57 pm

The difference between Sellers and Martin is that basically Peter Sellers was a comic ACTOR while Steve Martin is a COMEDIAN.
mitsuki lover

Postby Sai » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Has anyone seen the new movie yet besides radical dreamer? Is it good?
"Bother"
Sai

Return to General Entertainment