So, anyone here ever take any martial arts?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Any Martial Artists Here?

Postby FireStarter2003 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:53 am

Hey y'all,

How many fellow martial artists (hobbyists or seriously dedicated) are represented here, and what disciplines have you trained in, are training in, or want to train in?

I guess I'll start off the thread. When I was younger, I trained on and off in Tae Kwon Do for about three years or so. After that, during my senior year of high school, I practiced Tai-Kai Jujitsu, and later on, trained for a bit in Brazilian (Gracie) Jiu-jitsu. Within the last year, I've been mainly self-training in kenjutsu, taijutsu, and some ninja bukijutsu (weapon arts, i.e. shuriken, kusarigama, kyoketsu shoge, kusarifundo, etc.), but I practice with friends whenever possible. Currently, I am seeking formal training in Ninjutsu, either in the Bujinkan, Genbukan, or Koga-Ryu. At some point, I'd like to do some training in Japan whenever I visit. I would love to get my shidoshi ranking in Ninjutsu, and perhaps even teach during my spare time.

Well, let's hear some good stuff, aight?
Peace,

Jose

FireStarter2003

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:23 pm

Gracie Jujistu? OOO! my Sensie knows the only member of the Gracie family who has not been defeated! Man I wish I knew his name... Right know I'm training under Darrel Williams Sensei in the Dan Zan Ryo (sp?) Jujistu. I'm only a white belt still but I like very much. Everyone at the Dojo is wanerfull. I didn't like Gracie much though. To much like wrestling. Sensei showed us a few moves after he visited mr Gracie at a seminar in Napa valley i think. On of my sensei's has a black belt in Judo and recentlly recieved one the Dan Zan Ryo Jujitsu. Martial arts are awsome.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:25 pm

I started my son in Karate this past September. He has really enjoyed it and is currently an orange belt and I was told that he is just about ready for blue. What I really like about his instructor is the fact that he is a Christian and stresses that in his lessons.

I toyed with the idea of taking classes with him...kind of a father/son thing. I have watched him a few times and thought to myself that I have no business doing that at my age. I'd better stick to roller staking where I have two feet on the floor...most of the time.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby FireStarter2003 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:03 pm

Hiya Ruroken,

My previous Brazilian Jiu-jitsu instructor is certified under Rickson Gracie (currently undefeated, and based out of California) and Royler Gracie. While training, I attended seminars by Luis Heredia (one of Rickson's black belts), and David Adiv (a Royler Gracie black belt). We had lots of fun at those seminars, learning new techniques, as well as little ways to improve on stuff that we'd done hundreds of times before, for maximum effectiveness. I do have to agree with you, that most of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu does concentrate on groundwork and grappling, but that was the key factor that helped the Gracies develop their art as they field-tested it through the years in NHB (no-holds-barred) fighting. They do have some decent stand-up stuff as well, but groundwork and grappling remains the key distinctive of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

Aside from Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, my previous instructor also learned Filipino martial arts while living in the Philippines, and developed his own system, Agas Kilat, which includes striking, grappling, and weapons. Very devastating stuff. He also teaches an NHB fighting class on Saturdays, where they pretty much go all out, with gloves and mouthguards.

While all that stuff's cool and good, my preferences lie in the traditional arts, hence, my affinity towards Ninjutsu and the samurai arts. Ninjutsu especially, is one of the most comprehensive fighting systems in the world, encompassing striking (dakentaijutsu), grappling (jutaijutsu), weapons (bukijutsu), swordsmanship (kenjutsu), and many other areas. Also, since Ninjutsu stresses realism and natural body movement, it's not really hung up on kata and static kamae (stances). Overall, it's a very effective art.
Peace,

Jose

FireStarter2003

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:10 pm

I only know about 3 years worth of Kempo and Tae Kwan Do, picked up a little Jiu-Jitsu while I was at it.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:12 pm

ill add all them japanese words to my list of words to learn lol. Nothern California is the Number #1 area for jujistu. At least the Japanese style came here first...or it might have to do with te fact there's nothing to do here lol. Gracie jujistu is valuable. a lot of fights end up on the ground. being a girl, i dont like some guy sitting on me as we learn the techniques... i just wish i was younger is stead of 14... man im gonna be ancient when i get a black blet lol jk
Shao Feng-Li

Postby redkorn » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:23 pm

lol i use to wrestle back in middle school that about it
redkorn

Postby Vampi » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:32 am

TAEKWONDO! Hopefully I'll be able to participate in tournaments this year... I want to start learning a Chinese martial art, but majority of them are taught in Shaolin Temples......

(Acutally...I'm pretty sure I learn more than Taekwondo...because my instructor says he's incorporating Akido, Karate, and his experiences from street fighting or something into our lessons.)
Vampi

Postby EireWolf » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Well, I'm working on it. :sweat: My husband and I are learning Shito-Ryu style karate. We are yellow belts, almost ready to test for the next level. I'm not totally dedicated to it, but I would like to be more so.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby btboy500 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:43 pm

I've taken a small/short one time karate course that I want to start over again because it was pretty good.
btboy500

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:23 pm

I learned boxing from my dad, does that count? I also took Tae Kwon Do for eight months and have practiced on my bags ever since (eight years). I now have my own kick-boxing style, meaning I'm pretty positive I can take on any kicking bags that get in my way. *hehe*

My daughter takes Aikido and just got her yellow belt last month. I may take Aikido with her later, but right now I love to watch her. Her sensei taught me this cool trick to get out of any gripping situation, you know like someone grabbing you. I used it on my best bud who is now a red belt in Tae Kwon Do and she couldn't grab me. Huh, I'm now a big Aikido fan over Tae Kwon Do.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:23 am

When ever I get myself in shape im going to start taking Ninjutsu (ironic is it not)
Solid Ronin

Postby Mimichan » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:03 am

I took about 3 years worth of Tae Kwon Do. I love martial arts in general..and am a huge fan of those old kung fu movies and martial art documentaries and so on. One day, I hope to have a room set up in my home that would act as a dojo of sorts complete with the bags and weapons displayed on the wall ^_~. I think I tend to lean toward the Chinese style martial arts and would like to study something like Tai Chi or another soft style. I also like Win Chung, the 5 style (I think it's just five: dragon, tiger, snake, crane, and monkey..right?), Wu Tang...and of course Drunken Style Boxing ummm..the non-alchoholic version ^-~....Oh, and Capoeira looks like fun..not sure how it would fare as an actual fighting style though.

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:17 am

I've wanted to study martial arts for a long time, and it wasn't until about 8 months ago that I started with Jeet Kune Do. I'm getting more serious about it now, because starting in the spring semester a bunch of friends and I are going to start our own no-holds barred fighting club, and I don't want to get beat. :P I will probably start with either Tae Kwon Do or Jujutsu, and possibly both. I would like to study kenjutsu at some point, although I seriously doubt that there are any instructors in my area. :(
cbwing0

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:36 am

I take a class that teaches a mix of things. Mostly, we're considered kickboxing, but we do grappling, akito, and (for the upper belts) weapons. My dojo is a branch from this one:

http://www.choishindo.com/index.htm

I've been going steady for about three years now. I've never participated in any tournaments (that's not why I train :)) but I enjoy watching them.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

i would like to be one

Postby ice122985 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:03 pm

can't say that i am a martial artist- but i do know that i would like to be one. besides taking classes, is there any other way to learn?
ice122985

Postby Shinja » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:15 pm

i took a semester of karate last year and did very well, but never went back for the second class.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Locke » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:27 pm

not taking but making up my own style of quarter-staff
fighting

i still have trouble , with the darn staff sliping and bonking me on the head...
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:59 pm

I don't do Karate, TKD, J
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby FireStarter2003 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:43 am

Hiya Volt,

I can understand your feelings concerning Asian martial arts, with certain teachings about Chi/Ki, or other religious beliefs. I know that with Ninjutsu in particular, there are certain areas of training where (depending on who your sensei is and whether he actually teaches it) you learn the Kuji In (energy channeling hand positions) and Kuji Kiri (mystic grid projection slashes), which are rooted in the Mikkyo esoteric teachings of Tendai Buddhism. I definitely do my best to stay away from stuff like that. Also, most Ninjutsu dojo (as well as many traditional budo schools), will have a kamiza (spiritual seat) at the head of the dojo, with a kamidana (shrine), and photos of the grandmaster. Sometimes, these trappings tend to discourage Christians from participating in traditional bujutsu/budo arts. From my understanding, some of these external trappings tend to be done more out of tradition or cultural observance than actual religious teaching (i.e. bowing towards the kamiza). Here in the West, we automatically think that bowing equals worship, whereas in the East, bowing is as simple as a way of showing respect without attributing worship. So, I personally don't have a problem participating in certain aspects of traditional training. However, there are areas where I do draw some lines. But also, remember, when you are training, Jesus isn't standing outside the dojo waiting for you: He's there with you! So, if you're in a class that observes a time of silent meditation, fix your heart and soul's attention on Jesus; meditate on His Word. Redeem the time, don't let it go wasted.

As with many subjects, the martial arts are one which are debatable among Christians. Let us remember the following: "In essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, in all things charity."
Peace,

Jose

FireStarter2003

Postby cbwing0 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:50 am

FireStarter2003 wrote:But also, remember, when you are training, Jesus isn't standing outside the dojo waiting for you: He's there with you!

That is true, but it is also important to remember this:

"The Way of the warrior does not include other ways, such as Confucianism, Buddhism, certain traditions, artistic accomplishments, and dancing..." (Miyamoto Musashi, "Book of Five Rings")

The martials arts in themselves are meant for two things: combat and self-improvement (of course the proportion of those depends on the style in question). Although the founders, teachers, and practitioners of the martials arts in all parts of the world were mostly religious men (as are most people who have ever lived), fighting is a religiously neutral practice. If you do encounter a teacher who tells you that it is essential to embrace a certain religion along with your art, then they are simply trying to convert you to their beliefs system.

Volt wrote:Mainly because I really don't care for them in the first place but also thier roots are entangled in some form of the beliefe of "Chi".

It is possible to separate the Asian martial arts from their roots in this way, but that is not really necessary. Chi was part of their worldview, and it may very well describe a real phenomenon. If it does, then it would stand to reason to God created it; therefore, it is not wrong for a Christian martial artist to study and exploit it. Maybe it (as well as other esoteric concepts in the martial arts) is a mystical force, or perhaps it is completely natural, but not well understood. At any rate, I'm sure most martial artists can attest to its reality, if not its effectiveness in combat.
cbwing0

Screen name says it all...

Postby KarateGirl » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:12 am

I train in Tang So doo. (it has a bigger name but hey, this works)
I started in late June so i've been at it for a few months. I have moved up one rank (so im purple now) and i am really enjoying it.
Our instructor also knows Akido so he will throw some of that into most training session, which is really fun. And also, he's a Christian, so he doesnt put in any of the weird stuff in, he does help us understand that a lot of the power you have is "in" you though. But he's never said anything thats made me raise an eyebrow.
And some people have tried to argue with me, that Tang So Doo is not, infact, "Karate" because it is a Koren style Martial Art. And "Karate" is a japanese word. But you know, its a lot easier to say "hey, ill see ya at Karate!" then "I'll see you at our next Tang So Doo Mu Duk Kwan practice" so, ya. I call it Karate. Martial Arts...yeah.

-KG
Rule Number 1 in Anime: There is always wind.
KarateGirl

Postby The Grammarian » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:21 am

Took Tae Kwon Do for a few years when I was younger, then Shariryu (spelling's probably wrong) for another year. I was never really interested in either, but I've become interested in at least Tae Kwon Do again, and if there were an iaido or kendo dojo around my area, I'd love to learn either of those (more iaido than kendo, though).
The Grammarian

Postby FireStarter2003 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:37 am

Hiya cbwing0,

I agree that the need for self-preservation and self-improvement is a universal need, one that knows no religious or philosophical boundaries. Yet it is still important to be discerning, especially when a certain martial system is heavily influenced by, or is the fruit of, certain beliefs. I'm not saying that a Christian cannot train in Ninjutsu (which I am currently pursuing) or classical samurai arts (i.e. Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, which was named after and dedicated to the deity at Katori Shrine), but there should be active discernment about certain elements.

As to the Chi/Ki issue, I've been mulling over that for some time now. I do believe there is such a thing as Chi/Ki, as we are all creatures with living energy within us and around us. Things such as sensing when other people are looking at us through a crowd of people, knowing when somebody is following you through a crowded store. In the Bujinkan, the test for godan (fifth-dan black belt, and where one receives shidoshi teacher's certification) is known as the sakki test, where the grandmaster stands behind you with a shinai, and at any given moment, will slash down at you. The objective is to sense the attacking intent, and roll out of the way. I believe these are God-given aspects of Chi/Ki. It's when people start getting into certain elements that I believe they've gone beyond cultivating their own energy, and unknowingly yield themselves to the demonic. The people I've known that have needed deliverance ministry due to martial arts involvement are people who have either actively pursued the false religious practices, or who have associated closely with those who do (much the way that secondhand smoke can affect nonsmokers negatively).

I hope I've been able to communicate better about my perspectives on the issue.
Peace,

Jose

FireStarter2003

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:22 pm

[quote="Cephas"
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:32 pm

[quote="FireStarter2003"]As to the Chi/Ki issue,
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Locke » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:11 am

been thinking of goin back to brazil after high school and training in caipoera ( part brazilian and still cant spell it right)

slaves good get away with trainni cuz the slave owners thought they were dancing !!

also u forgot that u need a intrument to play berin boa or sometin ....

learn to dance, fight, and play an intrument!!!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Keiya » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:58 pm

Ive recently gotten out of college and Im about to take up ninjetsu lesssons from my best friend Gally. They say power without intellegence is pointless I just happen to study the books before the sword although I know the basics. Wish me luck!
T. Tetsumetsu Keiya
I, the gemini of light will not fail for I have taken destiny and fate out of the hands of the creator and placed them into my own.
[]XXXXXXX[]:::::::::Kuzna Long Blade:::::::::::::::::::>
Keiya

Postby Little T-chan » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:07 pm

I'm a brown belt in taekwondo. I started because I wanted to be like Jackie Chan. But my health is in too poor of condition.
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:47 pm

I took Shodokan for a while... Japanese Martial Art. I was going to take kickboxing, but never had the time (school interfered)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Next

Return to General Entertainment