Pixar and Disney, sitting in a tree, ...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Pixar and Disney, sitting in a tree, ...

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:10 pm

s-t-o-c-k tray-ding.

Seriously, Pixar is now part of Disney Animation (pending stockholder and government approval), and Super Steve J. will be the largest single stockholder on Disney's board.

I sense a lot more Disney and ABC content on iPods in the near future, but I fear for Pixar's individuality even though both sides claim to cherish that and John Lasseter and Ed Catmull will both have very highly placed positions within Disney.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Nate » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 pm

I have a feeling that somehow, Pixar movies won't be as good now... -.-

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby CDLviking » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:15 pm

This is terrible news. I have an uncle who works for Pixar, but now who knows what's going to happen there. What I do know is that Pixar's recent films have been getting better while Disney seems to be creating duller and duller movies. I fear the purity of Pixar will be tainted by Disney's muddy waters.
CDLviking

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:19 pm

I was pretty appalled by Chicken Little, myself, and that was supposed to be their big competition to Pixar.

The problem is that there is going to be a lot of resentment in the Disney Animation Studios about Pixar coming on board, especially since Pixar is pretty much their replacement. I can't see the two merging.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby meboeck » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:47 am

I put the first choice, but that's the hopeful optimist in me. I can only hope... But I am a bit worried.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Scribs » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:10 am

meboeck wrote:I put the first choice, but that's the hopeful optimist in me. I can only hope... But I am a bit worried.

My feelings exactly. I assume that the same pixar execs will remain in charge of the movies, as they have been the ones makeing the most profitable movies, not the disney animators. I still do not like it.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:33 am

Yes, I knew this one was coming (I mean I read about the proposed merger, not that I actually predicted it). Disney executives haven't gone so far as to state they need Pixar to inject life into their company, but I heard some statements that more or less implied it. In any case, I think they'll be very aware of the vaguely anti-Disney mentality that will cloud the next Pixar movie, so I think they will let them be for at least one film.
uc pseudonym

Postby chibiphonebooth » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 am

NO.

THIS IS A VERY BAD IDEA FOR PIXAR.

very bad!

they are on a roll, disney is just getting worse. if Pixar teams up with disney, it'll most likely go down hill.

:/

i want to work for pixar when i get older.. but not if they are part of disney! ;o;

this is a very bad move on pixar's part, i believe.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 am

I actually think this is a good idea... maybe DAS can let the all 3D bent go and go back to making the movies their good at... the 2D cell shaded type. I have not enjoyed the 3D disney movies at all, except of course... the ones pixar made. I would cheer if disney decided to release a new movie with traditional looking animation...y'know.. like lion king... or Great Mouse detective... or Mulan.

(Dang, I used a lot of ellipses)

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Tringard » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:04 am

mechana2015 wrote:I actually think this is a good idea... maybe DAS can let the all 3D bent go and go back to making the movies their good at... the 2D cell shaded type. I have not enjoyed the 3D disney movies at all, except of course... the ones pixar made. I would cheer if disney decided to release a new movie with traditional looking animation...y'know.. like lion king... or Great Mouse detective... or Mulan.

(Dang, I used a lot of ellipses)

This is what I hope as well.

So far Jobs has just let Lasseter do his thing, hopefully his share of Disney will let that continue.

There's some additional information on the positions everyone is expected to take on in this article
Calm seas do not make skillful sailors.
- African proverb

I choose to follow
Focusing on forever
Day I see His face
Tringard

Postby MasterDias » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:36 pm

You people need to look on the bright side, which is that there will likely be Pixar properties in the next Kingdom Hearts...

But seriously, it's going to all depend on how things progress from this point.

The best case scenario would be that the Disney suits leave the Pixar people well enough alone, providing funds and such when needed.

The worst case scenario would be that the Disney suits fire all of the Pixar people and stick their own flunkies in instead...

Let's all pray it's the former. I would be lieing if I said that I'm not the least bit worried however.
I think the last animated Disney movies that I really enjoyed were Mulan and The Emperor's New Groove.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tommy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Well it depends on who takes advice from you.

Pixar + getting disney helps = Please don`t.

Disney + getting pixar`s help= A possible chance of good.

Wait, did you say you liked Chicken little? For a movie that was meant for the 7-10 audience, it was pretty enjoyable.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Funny... I thought they were breaking from Disney after Cars.

*sigh*

What is this world coming to...?
Myoti

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Atlantis:The Lost Empire was probably one of Disney's best animated movies along with Mulan.However on the other hand they did do that rather unhistorical Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame that probably caused Victor Hugo to get dizzy from spinning in his grave.
I see darkness overcoming Pixar if they are forced to do movies like Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Disney.
mitsuki lover

Postby Ashley » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:42 pm

Man, this stinks. I always loved Pixar and I too wanted to work for them once. I can't see this being any good at ALL for Pixar....who knows, is there a way for them to like, break off and start a new company if things go badly? I doubt Lasseter and Co. will merely sit back and be fed drivel to produce; I think they'll walk if it comes to it, but still...
Ashley

Postby EireWolf » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:51 pm

All I can say is, if Disney knows what's good for them they'll keep their trite grubby hands out of Pixar's creativity. :)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:10 pm

EireWolf wrote:All I can say is, if Disney knows what's good for them they'll keep their trite grubby hands out of Pixar's creativity. :)

Hear! Hear! Couldn't have said it better myself!
bigsleepj

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:48 pm

shooraijin wrote:s-t-o-c-k tray-ding.
Man am I glad I wasn't the only one that thought of that first.

Seriously, I was this close --> . to investing in Pixar... now I'm REALLY wishing I had... after the merger, the stock is being converted at a rate of 1:2.3 and I would have just made about um...... two grand?
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby plutogrl03 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:25 am

I didn't like the idea of Pixar and Disney merging when I heard it. Like Myoti, I thought the two companies were going to break after Cars. I think Pixar could have stood on its own without much trouble. I wonder if Pixar did this because of in lieu of all the smaller CGI companies putting out movies now. The software is getting cheaper and with outsourcing, animation is pretty cheap. Oh well...I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.
Sometimes you just need to bang your head against a wall. :bang:

Member of the Official CAA DDR Song Club
plutogrl03

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Well, looking over the Yahoo news article, it appears Disney really is trying to get Pixar's creativity to help them make better movies.

Pixar CEO Steve Jobs becomes part of the Disney board and a Disney director.

Pixar President Ed Catmull will become president of the combined Pixar/Disney animation studios.

Pixar Executive Vice-President John Lasseter will become chief creative officer of the animation studios and principal creative advisor at Walt Disney Imagineering.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:24 pm

shooraijin

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:43 am

Egad, this doesn't sound too promising but who knows?
Mave

Postby creed4 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:04 am

What Disney needs is to let Disney run the company again. That is the only way we wouldn't have to worry about Pixar or their movies.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby EireWolf » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:06 am

Why are they merging at all? It seems pretty clear that Pixar doesn't want to be Disney-fied.

And... one would think that I, of all people, would automatically know by default that Steve Jobs is the Chief Exec of Pixar, considering how many times I have heard that name spoken. Where have I been? :hits_self
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Return to General Entertainment