End of the Spear

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

End of the Spear

Postby Token Asian » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:56 am

http://www.endofthespear.com/

It's a new independent film about how five missionaries in Ecuador are murdered by a tribe of natives, and how some of their family members return the brutal act by going to live with this tribe, thus leading them to Christ.

If you've read the true story of Jim Elliot, then you're no stranger to the background of this movie. In the late 1950s, five young missionaries, Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Roger Youderian, Pete Fleming, and Ed McCully were killed when they tried to make contact with the Auca tribe in Ecuador. In a show of true Christian forgiveness, the widow Elliot) and Saint's sister visited the tribe, evangelizing and convincing the natives to give up their violent ways.
Goddess fan, anime blogger, and generally insane anime club officer.

Token Asian's Anime Blog - Visit my anime blog for weekly posts on the new AMG! TV series and other anime-related things.
Token Asian

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:19 am

ohh it looks good

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am

i'm looking forward to it.
TurkishMonky

Postby creed4 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:05 am

I've Know the story for awhile. I want to see this movie, even though it will probly be a tear-jerker. I also feel we need to support it as christian, because this could reach many for Christ.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 am

The movie came out yesterday. I haven't seen it yet but I plan to see it either today or tommorrow. I heard that if it doesn't get enough business, then they'll stop showing it in theaters after Sunday so go see it before it's too late.
jon_jinn

Postby oro! » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:48 am

I know this story already and also pray that it'll be used to reach people for Jesus! I hope it is mainstream enough. Eventually I'll go see it! I hope it's as good as it sounds.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby PigtailsJazz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:12 pm

I've read a bit by Elisabeth Eliot...so I'm pretty excited to see that movie ^_^
PigtailsJazz

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:25 pm

Yeah. I'm reading the book with my family right now and we've been inspired to go on a missions trip to Equador. I'll probably be going during July.
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:52 pm

Though I have no intention of going to a theater to see this movie, chances are I will see it eventually in some manner. Personally, I'm slightly worried about this. It is a good story, but there are so many ways that a dramatization could ruin the message. However, given that some of those that were there supported the movie, I have some hope.
uc pseudonym

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 pm

EDIT: maybe it'd be better if I saw it first, but...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Haha, I get extra credit in school if I go see this movie. LOL. I would have gone to see it anyways, but...I always appreciate the extra perks. XD Not to mention that I got a free homework pass for going to see Narnia recently. :lol:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:51 pm

I saw that movie twice. Once with my family and once with my church youth group. It was very good but I think they should've just rated it PG-13 and made it a little more intense. I guess they wanted more kids to see the movie but, like the producer said when he won the best family movie award, it wasn't really intended to be a family movie (I think that's what he said).
jon_jinn

Postby TurkishMonky » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:11 pm

? "the end of the spear" was PG-13... it had a portrayal of a bloody killing of a group of missionaries by the Auca ( i can't spell the other name of their tribe)

i thought that it was done decently well for who made it, and it was pretty realistic, with a short gspel presentation made to the auca.
i liked it, overall.
TurkishMonky

Postby glitch1501 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:41 pm

i think my yg is going to see it next sunday

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:06 pm

isn't their tribal nudity in this or did the hold back cuz i really want to see it and if theirs "tribal" nudity that might ruin some of the message
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 pm

I think that the explicit areas were covered up but I'm not sure.
jon_jinn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:14 pm

Probably no different than that found in a documentary of tribal people in the Amazon or whatever. It's good to be realistic about the customs and culture and not Westernise it. Anyway, I don't see that sort of nudity as sexual in anyway or even a stumbling stone for my faith.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:26 pm

the guys are in loincloths, and all the girls teenage and older's vitals are covered
TurkishMonky

Postby Rambo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:48 pm

Jim Elliot and those others did great things for Christ by giving there lives and ya I hope people come to Christ there it.
The Lord my God Rarely works the same way twice but the out come is always the same.[/SIZE]
C. S. Lewis is such a great writer. I have read his Screwtape Letters, his Great Divorce, and am no working on his Mere Christianity.
Rambo

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:14 pm

I went and saw it on Sunday (with like half of my Sophomore class since some classes gave extra credit for it..) and it was great! I was worried that they were going to twist it somehow, but they got everything really well. I wasn't sitting with her, but apparently my mom cried the whole time. The movie really touched her, and she's pretty particular when it comes to religious representations. We also watched the documentary produced by the son and his family and stuff with the real people in it, and the movie followed that story very closely. There were no going off variations. I think we can safely say this is not merely a money-making endeavor, but rather a true telling of an amazing story.
Kawaiikneko

Postby creed4 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:52 pm

I can't wait to see it, but I don't have anyone to go with.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Myoti » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Saw it last night in Macon (wasn't showing here), and the theatre was PACKED!!

Pretty good, though.
Myoti

Postby Torokun » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Deleted by Torokun
@)[color=DarkGreen]}~`,~[/color]
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh, I can see this thread getting locked in a hurry if people aren't civil.
I saw the movie at Passion and I loved it. I'm planning on taking my roomate (unsaved, I'm working on it) to see it. I am paying to see the movie not for the sake of the political agenda of the lead actor, but in support of a wonderful retelling of an amazing story of a group of peoples commitment to Christ. I'm assuming that Steve Saint and everyone else involved prayed long and hard over who they hired on for this project and felt God had his reasosn for choosing who He did. If Chad Allen or anyone else tries to warp the message of this movie for their own gain in anyway, I say let them try. If we do our jobs as witnesses for Christ then he'll be drowned out by the voice of truth, it won't do him any good. I hope the true and beautiful message of this movie and the missionaries is not lost in useless and distracting debate over the circumsatnces fo this movie, on-line or in real life.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:41 pm

I agree with what Technomancer/Tom/Doubleshadow have stated, the movie should be based on its merits as a movie.

Otherwise, I haven't seen the movie yet, and probably won't since I doubt my theater will get it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Torokun » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:55 pm

I think a lot of you are confused with the issue I am bringing up.

I am not talking about the movie itself. I haven't seen the movie yet. So, I can not even comment on the quality of the movie in itself.

I am raising the controversy involved with the people behind the movie.

Perfect example would be movies made by Roman Polanski. His movies are incredible. Especially films like "the Pianist". however, with his work, he will always have to deal with his audience having moral trouble of supporting him of drugging and raping a 13 year old girl back in the 70's. What's more important is that he fled to Europe and never dealt with the horrible sin he committed and acknowledges.

This illustration fits perfectly for the issue that I am raising here. The issue at hand is not the quality of the film or even a homosexual actor was hired to be in a "christian" film.

Again, I encourage you to check out the links that I put up that documents the progress of this controversy and the thoughts of those well respected apologist.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby Rogie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:07 pm

I would like to advise everyone that this thread is for discussion of the film and that needless encouragement of debating for debate's sake will not be tolerated. Otherwise, the thread will be locked.

Carry on.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm

i saw the movie and liked it

Glitch's Photostream

Passion - Kutless
glitch1501

Postby Torokun » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:54 am

I guess I will stop pursueing the further discussion about this issue.

I am however very surprised and disappointed by the lack of interest in discerning and understanding the medium of movie in its cultural contaxt by the members of CAA...

Especially because the issue I raised was not a gossiping or mundane issue, but a spiritual one. After all, we are commended to "test all things and hold fast to that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

Coming from a movie industry, and being involved with some of the "chrisitan" movies/entertainment, I thought I could engage in some great discussions regarding the current state of the secular/christian market as well as spiritual matters behind movie making. Especially in the context of "End of the Spear".

But, like I said, I will stop it at this point.
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:23 am

Torokun wrote:I guess I will stop pursueing the further discussion about this issue.

I am however very surprised and disappointed by the lack of interest in discerning and understanding the medium of movie in its cultural contaxt by the members of CAA...

Especially because the issue I raised was not a gossiping or mundane issue, but a spiritual one. After all, we are commended to "test all things and hold fast to that which is good" (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

Coming from a movie industry, and being involved with some of the "chrisitan" movies/entertainment, I thought I could engage in some great discussions regarding the current state of the secular/christian market as well as spiritual matters behind movie making. Especially in the context of "End of the Spear".

But, like I said, I will stop it at this point.

It is not that CAA's membership isn't interested in "discerning and understanding the medium" or that they're not interested in "discussion." The issue is that there are certain types of "discussions" which turn into all-out, rapid-fire flame throwing wars. One of the ways to avoid these kinds of schirmishes is to lock threads which seem to be pleading for these kinds of interchanges. Thank you for your cooperation.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Return to General Entertainment