Memoirs Of A Geisha(?)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Jasdero » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:53 am

I read this book like.. two or three years ago. Really good. I hope the movie doesn't butcher it too much.;;;
Jasdero

Postby Lady Arianrod » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:02 am

I saw the movie. I liked it, but it was a bit too depressing to be very enjoyable. The ending wasn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend the movie to anyone who isn't interested in Japan. I wanted to see it because of the cinematography and story, but it is emotionally dark. It was well made, however.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Mikomi » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:00 pm

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I would like to. I just have to talk the husband into seeing it ;)
Jesus is my light in this darkness. He is my hope.

Be still, and know that I am God. ~ Psalm 46:10~

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? ~Matthew 16:26~

~Proud member of SPAM (Some People Attempt Missions)~
Our Motto: We provide family-friendly semi-evil goodness, complete with evil pudding and pants!

When life hands you lemons, squeeze them in life's eyes.

Kagome: SIT!!!!
Inuyasha: Uhhhnnn!!! @_@
Miroku: That's right...BIG sit.

The Glomp Project (featuring Kakashi)
Mikomi

Postby dragonshimmer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:10 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:You do realize that by this logic we need Japanese singers for every performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's Mikado?

[color=#CC66CC] Considering that Asian "operatic" style singing is VERY different from European, I personally would rather not go by that logic XD]
dragonshimmer

Postby Tringard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:42 pm

for a bit more background, I found this article/slide show helpful some time back. Written by and about modern women that work as geisha.
Tringard

Postby Taka » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:08 am

I'm quite intrested in this movie... Never read the book...
And I'll stop this pretending that I can
Somehow deserve what I already have
I need You to love me
Barlow Girl
Taka

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:07 pm

I read an article in the paper several weeks back that was about one of the dancers who was an extra in the movie.According to her the director got everything wrong when it came to Geishas and Japanese culture.For example when she was doing a dance sequence for them the director wanted to speed it up to make it more Hollywood.
One of the reasons why it is so objectionable to have Chinese actors or actresses play Japanese characters is because of the difference in culture and mores.Japanese actors and actresses would have interpreted the actions of the characters far differently than the Chinese,who are of course alien to the Japanese culture.
Think of it this way,how would it be if a Russian played James Bond?
mitsuki lover

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:04 am

You know there are Japanese people plaing in this movie. Don't they care? Or would they rather get paid for doing this movie?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kisa » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:53 am

Looks interesting and I am looking forward to seeing it.. theres also a book...
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Ooo, so I just saw this tonight.

Overall, I enjoyed it, though I thought it was sad in parts. I didn't really appreciate the sexual overtones, but I do realize that they were integral to the plot in one way or another, and there wasn't any nudity, which I did appreciate. I thought the cinematography was absolutely gorgeous, and the costumes were amazing (I believe it won Academy Awards in both of those categories). John Williams did a super job on the music, too. :thumb:

One of the fun things about watching this with my family was informing them of the meanings of different words in Japanese, like Onee-san, sakura, hajimemashite, okaa-san, etc. The dances Saiyuri/Chiyo did were gorgeous, though, and I thought that all of the actors did a really wonderful job.

Anyways, I enjoyed the movie, though I wouldn't consider it to be my most favorite movie ever, even though it was really gorgeous! :)

Oh, and sorry if this is considered gravedigging...:sweat: I didn't want to start a whole new topic just to post here. XD;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:47 pm

Hmm, maybe I'll rent it and give it a try. The costumes look so cool. Saw those platform sandals in the preview... I want 'em!
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Lynx » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:05 pm

i just saw the movie a few days ago... AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! i loved that movie so much!!! the japanese gardens and scenery and costumes were AMAZING
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm

I remember hearing that it didn't correcty portray the Geisha... Then wouldn't the Japanese actors say something about it?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:33 am

Well, the 3 main female characters were Chinese, so I doubt they would have much to say. They did a good job acting, though, in spite of their actual heritage. I'm not really sure whether they correctly protrayed the geisha or not, since I didn't know much about geisha to begin with, other than the fact that they were entertainers.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Anime Dad » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Well, the 3 main female characters were Chinese, so I doubt they would have much to say. They did a good job acting, though, in spite of their actual heritage. I'm not really sure whether they correctly protrayed the geisha or not, since I didn't know much about geisha to begin with, other than the fact that they were entertainers.

I have not seen the movie yet, although I have seen previews and read the book (Loved the book BTW!)
I don't know why they used Chinese actresses, I still think they should have used true Japanese ones. More accurate in my opinion. Come to think of it, I can't think of any Japanese actresses that would be considered well-known outside of Japan.... I have heard of the Chinese actresses in the movie before. Although, once they are in their full geisha getup, it would be hard to tell what their nationality was :)
Anime Dad

Location: Australia.... BTW i'm not really a dwarf with a bushy beard and a helmety thing.....

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:38 pm

They probably used Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi Zhang because they are somewhat familiar to American audiences. They both starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I dunno. The movie ended up leaving me kind of cold. I mean, it was a beautiful movie to look at and very well-acted, but the story honestly didn't grip me very strongly.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous

Return to General Entertainment