Serenity

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Serenity

Postby ClosetOtaku » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:02 pm

I was a latecomer to the "Firefly" series; I never saw an original episode on TV, and I only found out about it when a friend loaned me the entire series on DVD. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the story line, the characters, and the sci-fi setting.

Almost none of that has been lost in the transition to the silver screen -- "Serenity" is worth at least a look, and certainly a lot more if you liked Firefly. The original cast is back, the story is true to the series, and the action (and dialogue) is pretty non-stop.

That said, this is definitely not for children, despite its PG-13 rating. There are some pretty intense sequences, a good amount of violence, and if you have anything against Reavers and their way of entertaining "guests", you might want to take a pass on this one.

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of people who aren't familiar with the series yet have watched the movie; I suspect it won't be quite as engaging. For me, it was like being reintroduced to old friends who had just taken some time off.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby termyt » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:08 am

You are lucky, in one respect. I believe the show was originally aired on Fox, and they didn't show the episodes in proper sequence.

I haven't seen the TV series, but I'm interested in the movie. If I see it, I'll let you know.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:19 am

I saw the movie without any familiarity with the show, and it was still a great experience. None of the characters or plot points were taken for granted like in, say, Advent Children; they gave enough characterization and back story for me to know what was going on and actually care about it. I'm sure it would have been even better if I went in with full knowledge of the universe and the emotional attachment that comes with following a series for a long time, but even without this preconditioning it's quite an outstanding movie.
Cap'n Nick

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:26 pm

I know Keeley over at Anime Angels is a huge fan of the series.She has a pic of herself cosplaying as one of the characters.
I haven't seen the movie yet but I did watch the series when it was on.It was sad
that FOX didn't give it a chance to develop a following.Then again they did the
same thing to Alien Nation.
mitsuki lover

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:54 am

I'm goin
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:24 am

The show was fairly cool. I saw a few episodes of it the other day.

"I swear on my pretty pink bonnet I will end you"
Stephen

Postby CDLviking » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:22 pm

"I will end you" is the coolest way to threaten someone's life. If anyone ever tries to date either of my Goddaughters, I plan to use it.
CDLviking

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:42 pm

I remember seeing the one where they have to go into the hospital so that the
doc can get a look at what TPTB did to River and Jayne betrays them and later
on Mal locks him in the airlock and threatens to space him.
btw:Quiz Farm has a Which Serenity Character Are You? quiz and I came out as
Zoe.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kenshin17 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:55 pm

The movie was awesome. So awesome in fact that I am going to buy the series on my way home tonight, also because my dad said he wants it and I haven't bought him something in....a loooong time.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:03 am

How come more people aren't posting in this thread?

You guys need to see the movie and watch the series. This is the stuff that movies and television SHOULD be like.

I've seen two discs of the series and the movie and I'm hooked. I can already say that this is the best TV show I've seen in a long, long, LONG time. The sci-fi western thing might seem hokey (although considering this is a site full of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop fans...) but you need to just give it a chance. The characters and dialogue are what make this series shine.

So, go rent it already.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby TallasLint » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:00 pm

I loved the movie, and the TV show, my friend just recently introduced me to it, and I'm hooked now. ^.^ Our Mrs. Reynolds is such a funny episode of Firefly!
Lint.
TallasLint

Postby termyt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:44 pm

I thought it was a very good movie. I noticed some parallels in the movie that my Firefly watching friends didn’t recognize. Allow me to elucidate and forgive me if this is well known, I’ve never seen Firefly nor have I researched it much.

The world of Serenity seems like it is patterned after the United States of the late 19th century – especially the “wild west.â€
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Puritan » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:43 pm

I havn't been posting because the tread went dormant before I joined!
I really enjoy Firefly and Serenity, a friend borrowed Firefly from a friend of his, and I was hooked from the first episode. And the movie is great, everything I think Sci-Fi should be. A great storyline, believeable and interesting characters, and a great setting. I don't think you could ask any more from a movie, it simply rocks. Unlike many Sci-Fi movies which rely on CGI graphics or fancy special effects, the effects used advance the story rather than make the film. Plus, the fight scene with River at the end of the film rates as one of the best fight scenes I have ever seen. I also love the 19th century parallels, the idea of the past as the future (if well done) is believable and makes for great Sci-Fi.
Puritan

Postby creed4 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:00 pm

It was a great movie and I plan to buy it as soon as I can. If the DVD does well we might get more show.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby glitch1501 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:41 pm

i loved the movie, saw it like 4 times, i really want to see the series, i have the movie poster in my room too, it was only $10!!!!!! :)

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Sakura15 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:54 pm

I love that movie!! it's so awesome! but I only got to see it once :(
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Locke » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:58 pm

I plan on buying the series (along with Battlestar Galactica, another series everyone should love!) when I get some dough.

Good movie, loved the quick shots the captain does.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby creed4 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:25 pm

I do to but they're on the list just not first
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Maledicte » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:31 pm

Finally saw this movie.

I have never seen the show it was based on. But seeing this movie made me want to.

The story was awesome. So much ambiguity, who's right and who's wrong, and great dialogue. I've been waiting for snappy dialogue in a sci-fi film ever since the new Star Wars prequels ("Nooooooooo" *cough cough*). And the cg wasn't overdone, which is impressive. Nice to know when to hold back. Awesome antagonist, and you really care for the characters.
Maledicte

Postby TrigunX89 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:05 am

I thought the movie was great. I had never seen the series, but the movie sure made me want to. I was a little skeptical because shows like Star Trek bore the heck out of me, but this was really good. Maybe I'll buy the Firefly DVD's sometime, along with Serenity.
TrigunX89

Postby Archan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:39 pm

I have yet to see it, is it really any good. I've had chances to rent it but have resisted from fear that I would be wasting my time. It looks fun though, and everyone here seems to like it...maybe I should rent it.
Well see,
God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:22 pm

i just watched the series this week, it is amazing, i cant believe that they arent making a second season

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb: