Seen Narnia!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby termyt » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:36 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I saw that! The white witch from that version is one of the most scarring memories of my childhood! *Has a very long list of frightening childhood memories.*

And a little more of the darkness that is in the head of many explosions is revealed.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Rogie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:10 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I saw that! The white witch from that version is one of the most scarring memories of my childhood! *Has a very long list of frightening childhood memories.*

Oh, no! I'm sorry if I sparked a flashback or anything. We don't want Osaka going AWOL on us because of the scary toonified White Witch.

(Btw, I'm not making fun. I thought she was rather... evil... when I was little. I think it's because she yelled too much. ;) )
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Sparrowhawk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:38 am

Wow, i actually started a decently long post. It's been 5 days since it came out, so no onw else will proabably post hereand i'll just wrap it up with my opinions. I mostly agree with someone that pointed out earlier that the heart of the movie was missing, and that came in my opinion, from not making Aslan deep enough (but if you think about it, he is too deep for us to ever fathom. He is infinite, he did not even have a beginning. I dont think we'll even completely understand him in heaven, we will just understand him and know and love him the way we were meant to, but part of that is the relationship always discovering things about him i think) and the lack of mentioning of the Emporer over the Sea. the "mysterious power" sounded a little too New Agey and Agnostic for me.

I thought that kids were just about cast perfectly. Susan was definitely, she was always trying to be smart in the book and not doing what was always the right thing. However, God did give us a brain to use, and i think sometimes Christians are thought to be strange to the colleges and stuff ( i know as i'm looking at them) is because we often don't provide logic. You got to remember, Jesus did claim to be the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Since it's true, i don't think you can say its bad to try to be smart. Just realize that God's wisdom is much deeper than yours will ever be. I guess I'm so partial to Susan her personality is very similar to my own. I take way to long to think about things. If you notice, she doesn't do anything "really bad " she just never acts on faith until she is 100% sure it will work. It's like the old saying if you wait for the perfect time it wont come. I also struggle with that. My main problem is being afraid to do what's right. So i understand where she is coming from. Also, someone wrote she was played very well if you knew the ending of the series. Having read them all multiple times i do know the ending, i would agree. However, if you notice, it never says she won't be there. and Aslan both in the book and movie said "Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen" so i like to think, and it is logical (lol) that she does get to be with the rest of them, just not as soon as they get to, because again she let her brain get in the way, which is what happens to her in Narnia, she is always the last person to get the reward because she is always the last to act. Once Susan gets over trying to be "adult" in the book i think she will join the Friends of Narnia at her death.

Whew, sorry, but now you know the person i most empathyze with in the story. I also thought Edmund was played perfectly, exactly as i always pictured him. I probably was very pleased that they kept Susan and Edmund so close to the book because i'm a combination of the two (thats kind of scary). I won't spend to much time on Edmund because his story is so obvious (that does not mean its not very, very good, because it is very, very good). He is the character that went the most astray and is therefore the character that is most thankful for Aslan and also gives him a great understanding of right and wrong and is how he became Edmund the Just.

Lucy in my opinion was perfectly casted and acted. She was very cute (that feels strange for me to say, in my family guys just dont say cute, but what else do you call someone who, if they smiled while asking, you would try your best to find the perfect gift for them?) The actress, i know the name she goes by is "Georgie", did a perfect job. She was optomistic, naive, compassionate, brave, and totally faithful. I DID NOT LIKE THE SEEN WITH THE KNIFE-THROWING. That was totally ANTI-LUCY. She did not like violence at all or pretending it. Fighting for her was a last resort. She does say in the book she could be brave enough, and i definitely believe it, but she would have been miserable the whole time and sobbing afterwards because of her great compassion. She wants to help others, that is why the vial with the healing power was her gift. Her faith and compassion really could heal wounded hearts.

Peter was, in my humble opinion, the only one not perfectly acted and that was the script writer's fault. I do not believe he would have been pushing Ed around the way he was before Narnia. He would have been angry yes, but i dont think that much of a self-righteous jerk. He was more mature than that. That's not to say he would not have done anything. I liked the handing him a girl's coat to Ed, which i certainly dont remember being in the book but was in line with the character. That was my only problem, i liked everything else about him. He was still brave, yet not cocky, doing his best to watch out for everybody. I definitely still liked him.

The only other problem, and i must admit, it really got to me, was leaving out some key lines, changing the lines, or putting them in the wrong spot. I already told you about the Emperor over the Sea, but what REALLY got me was the changing of and changing the timing of Aslan not being a tame lion. THAT IS SO NEEDED BEFORE THEY MET HIM LIKE IN THE BOOK. Why? Two reasons, actually one reason, two examples. I struggle with my relationship with God becuase i try to put him in a box, pretend i know what he is going to do, pretend i know his plans. Well, the fact is you have a whole lot of trouble advancing in a relationship with somebody if you already have decided you know them too much. And C.S. Lewis struggled with this as well. Yes, he was an atheist turn Christian, but did you know he was raised Christian and believed it? What caused him to turn away? He stuggled with a certain sin and begged God to take it away because he knew it was wrong. However, he did not stop and because he really wanted it honestly he started to believe that:
a. God is not there
b. We can't know him.
This combined with what his teachers and classmates told him is what led to his becoming an atheist. Once he realized God could not be contianed, he relationship grew again. That's why i think that they needed the beavers to say before they met Aslan, "Safe? No, he's not safe! I said he was good, not tame!" That is my favorite quote from LWW.

Well, now for my overall opinion. It was definitely well made and and i think kept the most of the story so it was pretty good. But leaving out some key details definitely made it not as good as it could have been. I think, and hope, it will lead many people to read the books, which are much better, and that, like C.S. Lewis said, after reading his books read the Bible and see that his writing was just an attempt to give a picture. Like a picture, its not the real thing but, its trying to give a glimpse to the real thing. I think C.S. Lewis did that and i think the movie gave a picture of the book. A picture of a picture is definitely not as good to one who knows the original. I do think though there will be many opurtunities to witness to people because of this though, and i'm extremely happy about that.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:No there wasn't. There was cartoon version made in 1979, then the BBC series from 1988-1990? and then this latest movie. There was a live action version apparently in the mid-60s but its not believed to have survived to this day.

I'll check my facts when I have a chance. I suppose it is possible that the films I remember from early childhood were actually the film compilations of the BBC series. I remember the BBC versions being far worse than these, but it has been quite some time.
uc pseudonym

Postby MasterDias » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:33 pm

Huh. I see a lot of nitpicking in this thread... Ah, well. I saw the movie yesterday so my comments are as follows:

- The scene that shall be referred to as Peter & the Wolf (sorry, couldn't resist). I'm not completely sure why but this scene came off odd to me. It's been too long since I've read the book to remember but the battle in the movie came off such that it looked like Maugrim commited suicide on Peter's sword...
*shrugs*

-The Battle of Beruna was a bit jerky but I can let that slide since they were trying very hard to keep a PG-rating. Heh.

-Susan shooting the dwarf did come off funny, intentional or not I don't know.

All in all, I quite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Lucy in my opinion was perfectly casted and acted. She was very cute (that feels strange for me to say, in my family guys just dont say cute, but what else do you call someone who, if they smiled while asking, you would try your best to find the perfect gift for them?) The actress, i know the name she goes by is "Georgie", did a perfect job. She was optomistic, naive, compassionate, brave, and totally faithful. I DID NOT LIKE THE SEEN WITH THE KNIFE-THROWING. That was totally ANTI-LUCY. She did not like violence at all or pretending it. Fighting for her was a last resort. She does say in the book she could be brave enough, and i definitely believe it, but she would have been miserable the whole time and sobbing afterwards because of her great compassion. She wants to help others, that is why the vial with the healing power was her gift. Her faith and compassion really could heal wounded hearts.

I agree that Lucy acted quite well. One thing however...
I don't doubt that Lucy is the most compassionate of the four, but certain statements/scenes in The Horse and His Boy imply that Lucy fought in Narnia's wars, at least as an adult. Having great compassion doesn't necessarily mean that one is unable to fight someone.

If you read them in the proper order, you won't know her name is Jadis until you've allready read LWW, and you don't find out that Jadis is the white witch until the end of MN, so it was sort of a surprise as an endnote rather than something you find out beforehand... it's like "Oh, she turned WHITE... She's the WHITE WITCH" A very large problem with reading it in Chronological order first...

I also prefer the written order. TLtWtW comes off more epic that MN really, in my humble opinion at least, and makes a better starting point.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Rogie » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:04 pm

Btw, related to the animated version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I found a DVD of it today while at Wal-Mart. It was only around $8, and I got it without a hesitation. I highly recommend it, despite the rather *ahem* "iffy" packaging of the DVD. ;)
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:58 pm

I loved this movie... um, i should have seen this earlier. I'm too lazy to read all the conversation that's already taken place, so I'll make my comment here, read what you guys are saying here on out, and join in once I understand. If that's okay...
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Myoti » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:23 am

- The scene that shall be referred to as Peter & the Wolf (sorry, couldn't resist). I'm not completely sure why but this scene came off odd to me. It's been too long since I've read the book to remember but the battle in the movie came off such that it looked like Maugrim commited suicide on Peter's sword...
*shrugs*

I thought it was odd as well, but basically the same as the book. Maugrim attacks, but Peter keeps the sword out, causing Maugrim to fall on it.

-Susan shooting the dwarf did come off funny, intentional or not I don't know.

"AGGHHHHH!!!" *plop* XD

Isn't he the same actor that played the Oompa Loompas?
Myoti

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 pm

I was kinda sketchy on whether Disney would be able to do a good job with it, but with C.S. Lewis's stepson so heavily involved in it, it turned out pretty well. It was indeed strange how little blood there was with all the violence that goes with a battle, but that's just a minor problem in the scope of what is otherwise a great movie.
What I want to know though, is how will they do the rest of the movies? Will they be released maybe a couple installments a year, or lumped together so less movies will have to be made? And what order will they be in - as they were written, or chronological according to the storyline?
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:48 pm

MasterDias wrote:Peter & the Wolf

Ahhh!! Nostalgia!! It's SO familiar, but I can't figure out what it is, or how I know it! >_< Anyways, continue. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Narnia was a good movie. I saw it at 10am on a field trip as well with my Christian school (0_0 weird).

Anyways, it was perfectly-paced. The book was slow-paced and then when they meet Aslan the whole plot just goes ZWHOOM!

I think it took 13 chapters till they saw Aslan and then the rest of the book was 5 chapters or something.

I just hope they don`t ruin it by having aslan-shaped candy and ruining Narnia`s purpose.
Tommy

Postby Keely » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 am

My major complaint was the changing of ONE line...

About Aslan, he scary, scary Lion:

"Is he safe?"
"Safe, of course he isn't safe, but he's good."

changed to:

"He's not a tame Lion"
"No, but he's good"

I'm sorry, but that entirely changes the meaning behind those lines, and in some way, the entire MOVIE. God isn't safe, but he's good and worth it. Tame Lion jus the doesn't have the same impact.

Other than that, the movie was wonderful and a much better adaptation than my first (literary) love...Lord of the Rings.
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Maledicte » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:33 pm

Finally saw it.

I really did not like the White Witch. She wasn't evil enough for my taste. She wasn't particularly pretty, and that dress....*shudders* I kept wanting to tighten it around her shoulders or something. But then I've been raised by the animated version, where she was much more manic.

Animation was great. There was so much of it that they didn't make a big deal out of it, making it look more natural. I loved the fox :-3 and the gryphons and the phoenix. Also I thought the centaurs looked especially real. But no leaping Aslan. Grr...

I thought the beginning of the film was great, putting the whole story into historical context. Also it added to Edmond's character a bit. I found the story a bit rushed after they finally meet Aslan, however.

Acting was solid across the board, except for the White Witch, as I have already said.

I was quite happy when Aslan said "I was there when it was written," bringing to mind John chapter 1, among other things. Was this line also in the book?
Maledicte

Postby Tommy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Did you guys know when Aslan sais "It is Finished" that wasn`t even in the script?!

This movie wasn`t even Christian.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:12 pm

I thought the movie was ok, but I was not impressed with the performance of the White Witch. Like SirThinks2Much, I'm very partial to the cartoon version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Has anyone seen it? I would've been more pleased if the witch was more maniacal (sp?) like how she is depicted in the cartoon. I mean, the line in the movie where she says "...knowledge, despair, and DIE!" to me wasn't very dramatic. In the CARTOON, however, it's perfect.

I thought Liam Neeson as the voice of Aslan was a very good choice too, and I liked Tumnus. The scene where he's playing his flute is very close to the book. I thought they did a good job there.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:43 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I was quite happy when Aslan said "I was there when it was written," bringing to mind John chapter 1, among other things.

Yes, I liked that line as well. However, it has been too long since I read the books, so I can't answer your question.

Tom Dincht wrote:Did you guys know when Aslan sais "It is Finished" that wasn`t even in the script?!

This movie wasn`t even Christian.

Both of those statements require some explanation. I'm sure they were clear to you at some point.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:39 pm

I JUST SAW THIS TODAY!! OMGOSH! IT WAS SOO COOL! *also bought the soundtrack)

Favorite parts.

1. the animals were so cute!
2. Lucy's actress was so cute! I loved the way she pronounced her words! "I'm awight!" KYA!
3. It was very well done!
4.. THE FOX! THE FOX! GOTTA LOVE THE FOX! THE FOX! *huggles the fox*
5 LOVED THE CG!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:
1. I disliked the witch's wardrobe...her outfits looked ridiculous and made her look more tacky than anything.
2. I nearly sent my popcorn flying when I first saw her...SHE IS CREEPY LOOKING!! *shudder*

I give this movie and 4 out of 5
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:02 am

I've heard that Lewis said he never wanted his books to become feature films. I think it was he didn't want Aslan to become an idol, referring to the second Commandment.
He wanteed to use the books to prepare children for the Bible.

I more just over heard the conversation, so take it with a grain of salt. Anyone have some actual Lewis quotes?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:17 am

Shao, that wasn't the reason. Lewis didn't want them made into movies because he believed talking animals in a live-action movie couldn't be done properly (no CGI in those days) and talking animals alongside human actors would look ridiculous. He said that he wouldn't have minded seeing a top quality animated version since its easier to suspend disbelief with them.
Can't find the exact quote but the C.S Lewis forum: Into the Wardrobe

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/forums/

would be very helpful for finding it. I found the quote there some time ago.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:21 am

My Narnia Review:

This was my first glimpse of Narnia on the big screen. I didn’t know what to expect and was pleasantly suprised. I tried to keep my expectations low so I would enjoy the movie and I did.

Acting:
I thought the acting was very good, especially Georgie, Skandar and Tilda. Mr Tumunus was also good and Peter and Susan also. It was good to notice Aslan didn’t sound anything like Liam Neeson during the movie so it was very enjoyable. The kids really brought a fantastic family dynamic to the movie if nothing else. Some lines weren’t delievered the best, but overall the acting far exceeded the Harry Potter kid actors. Tilda was very good as the White Witch, frightening as anything. The whole calm, collected witch is far scarier than any pantomime witch from other versions.

Directing
I loved the parallels of the London Blitz with the gryphons and their rock (bombs). The CGI was very convincing and you really felt the actors were talking to Mr Beaver, Aslan - whoever, not a tennisball on a string.
Most of the time I didn’t notice the lack of blood, but the "wipe your blade Peter" scene was a bit silly with no blood and I would have loved to see the creatures and people get muddy and dirty in the battle (far too clean in that respect).

Digital Effects:

The beavers, Aslan, the wolves and the other creatures were great although the CGI (for creatures and backgrounds) were inconsistent sometimes, but nowhere near as bad as people suggested. Granted the CGI always has to work harder to be convincing in broad daylight (which much of the movie was in) so I think they did a brilliant job. The effect of turning to stone was beautiful as was creating the enchanted food and drink and other parts. I would have liked to see more of the polar bears and the ankle-slicers actually do something in the battle.

Music (Score):
The score was actually very good. Not as enjoyable or noticeable as the LotR one, but it complemented what was going onscreen, not ditracted from the experience. I particularly enjoyed the Excavating London music and the Stone Table music. Others I didn’t notice to the same degree.

Cinematography:
Andrew Adamson seemed to enjoy having mainly head to torso shots (focusing on the emotions of the characters and the dynamics of the conflict). Because of this you felt closer to the action and adventure, like you were in the midst of it.

Adaption:
There were some scenes added (mainly the waterfall scene) and some parts left out. Sure you can’t have the narrator voice through the movie (downside) but the actors showed these thoughts through their subtle emotions. The beaver jokes were very funny but didn’t throw you from the spirit of the movie (think C.S Lewis humour).

The first and second act were amazing and everything up until the Stone Table was a good pace. The Stone Table scene seemed to by too quick and from then to the battle I think it would have benefited from 10 more minutes. I would have liked to see more variety of fighting in the battle (with all the unique creatures) - no ankle-slicers in action)

The battle was very fast and short so I think the movie is very true to the novel in that respect. The White Witch and Peter battle was good fun also.
(I think I will have to see it more than once to appreciate all the action and detail). I’m surprised how much violence was allowed for a PG (but I guess no blood or mud reduces it somewhat).

Costumes:
The costumes were appropriate to Narnia. Lucy’s cordial vial was beautiful and the swords were awesome. The costumes didn’t have the level of detail as LotR but they were still good. I did expect a little more from Weta (probably tired from doing LotR).

Makeup/Prosthetics:

Most of the makeup/prosthetics was very good but some creatures looked a little "plastic." I noticed one of the creatures (a pig-like one) had a cream head and bright red sunburn skin (didn’t blend well).

Acting 9/10
Directing 9/10
Digital Effects 9/10
Music (Score) 9/10
Cinematography 9/10
Adaptation 8/10
Makeup/Prosthetics 8/10

SCORE AVERAGE 8.50 (but I reckon it actually comes to a 9/10)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Itachi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:18 pm

It was so good I saw it twice
BEWARE of Itachi
Pink Dancer!!!- sister(consiter our selves sisters) :hug:
favorite parings
Naruto.........
1)SakuraxSasuke :sweat:
2)HinataxNaruto :jump:
3)TenTenxNeji :rock:
4)InoxShikamaru :cool:
5)HinataxKiba (don't ask) :sweat:
"I must of got'en lost on the path of life"-Kakashi
"How troublesome"-Shikamaru
"I'm going to be the future Hokage"-Naruto
In every quizilla quiz on Naruto i'm........
hinata :angel:
itachi !!
gaara ????
" There is nothig you can say that will take me away from this life. There is nothig you can do to Shut me Up when I'm speeking the Truth."- Kutless
Thousand Foot Krutch favorite songs
1)move :rock:
2)the art of breaking :rock:
3)rawkfist :rock:
Itachi

Postby Warrior4Christ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:55 am

The movie was very good.

Except.... that when Lucy's hand touched the snow-covered lamp post when she first saw it, HER SKIN DIDN'T STICK TO IT LIKE COLD METAL SHOULD!!

Other than that, fine movie.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby yukinon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 am

eh, it was good and I'd like to see it again, but I'm not racing to the theatre, and I'm not as excited as I was about LOTR. Honestly, I was a bit dissapointed.

But I got the radio series for Christmas and I've been listening to those so everything's ok. ^^
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby TurkishMonky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:00 am

i can't get to sleep without noise so i've been listening to the radio series pretty much for the last year solid every night.
TurkishMonky

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 am

Does anyone have information regarding how well this movie has done in the long term box office? I realize I could obtain that information rather easily, but I confess it isn't terribly important to me.

Warrior4Christ wrote:Except.... that when Lucy's hand touched the snow-covered lamp post when she first saw it, HER SKIN DIDN'T STICK TO IT LIKE COLD METAL SHOULD!!

I thought that as well.
uc pseudonym

Postby ChristianKitsune » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:30 am

I am going to see it again today! ^^

Actually I did like that scene when Lucy touched the lampost. I thought it was awesome that they didn't stop in the middle of it or anything..for some reason my eyes were always directed to her finger prints on it...

>.> <.< no idea why..
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby shadow_warrior » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:49 am

I thought the movie was great. These books are awesome, I hope they make the rest of them as well.
shadow_warrior

Postby Ingemar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:27 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I was quite happy when Aslan said "I was there when it was written," bringing to mind John chapter 1, among other things. Was this line also in the book?
In the book, Aslan pretends to have forgotten the Deep Magic.

Update:
"Have you forgotten the Deep Magic?" asked the Witch.
"Let us say I have forgotten it," answered Aslan gravely. "Tell us of this Deep Magic."
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:39 pm

My review.

Here's basically a list of stuff that I liked and dislike. This is one of them newfangled list-reviews. :-)

Likes about TLTW&TW:
• The guy who played Tumnus did a very good job with the character. He's the best realized in the movie.
• The Wardrobe being introduced by Lucy pulling away the sheet. Some complained that its not the same as the book - but I rather liked this theatrical touch.
• The part where Tumnus tries to put Lucy to sleep and sees Aslan in the flames. I mean, I really liked it.
• Some of the humourous dialogue that was not in the book like the bickering between the Beavers. The humour was not overdone or anything. I liked it as well.
• Maugrim was also well done.
• The witch wearing Aslan's mane as her battle-dress.
• The stone table sequence (at least the beginning)
• Father Christmas was well done and well visualized.
• The trees bringing the news of Aslan's death
• The tree spirit greeting the children at the camp
• The slight antagonism between Edmund and the others.
• Aslan was also well done. Liam Neeson's voice was spot-on! What I especially liked is the way how Andrew Adamson 'shoots' Aslan - a technique similar to that used by Sergio Leone in his western "Once upon a Time in the West" (a movie I admire in parts rather than a whole). In that movie the Charles Bronson character Harmonica mostly enters a scene by one of four ways; either by walking out from behind something or by materializing from the darkness off-screen or by having something like a train pull away to reveal him, or sometimes to have him revealed by the camera moving. All this gives Harmonica a sort of supernatural larger-than-life aura in the movie, as if he's not entirely human. Adamson uses similar visual rules for Aslan (although he doesn't always stay true to them). However I think he should have taken it a bit further - the books describes Aslan as huge. In "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" when Aslan visits Prince Caspian off-stage in the last chapters Caspian comment that Aslan wouldn't fit into his cabin. I think Aslan should have been framed in each shot half-obscured by the edges of the frames - as if Aslan is simply to big for the big screen. It ties with the quote by Lewis that said more or less that you seldom imagine Christ to be shorter than oneself. This kind of suggestion would have been an interesting experiment. But I think it would have worked because whenever the camera focused on Aslan I couldn't help but think that Aslan was too small.

Dislikes:
• Prof Kirke: Jim Broadbent was an excellent choice as a Digory Kirke. He has the right manner. But I think that the director ultimately approached the role incorrectly. I mean, I believe that the Professor should have turned up earlier in the movie before the night when Lucy ran into him. I also would have liked the meeting with Kirke to have been more low key. I mean when Susan and Peter mention the wardrobe his face reveals too much and his mannerism distracts from his dialogue about it being logical. It looks almost more like he's slightly twisting their logic to make them consider Lucy's story instead of really going for logic. They go too fast through that scene too. It would have been better to stretch it out a bit as well so that the implications could sink in. Tsk tsk.
• The White Witch: Tilda Swinton, despite being a good actress, really doesn't come of as chillingly evil. She just seems bad tempered.
• The slight antagonism between Edmund and the others. They overdo it a bit as well.
• The Wardrobe itself: It looked like just another wardrobe in the book - here it doesn't look like a wardrobe but rather a wooden sarcophagus for laying to rest famous upright pianos. I would have prefered a normal wardrobe.
• Ice flow scene. 'Nuff said.
• The London Blitz scenes. I think it would have been better if they began the movie with the children lying in their beds then suddenly have the explosions go off. Maybe show some firemen actually put out the fires, a very integral part of the Blitz during WW2. If a house was destroyed during a raid they'd sometimes demolish the house, dig a hole where it stood and fill it with water in case they need the water for a future fire. Showing the Germans and the Messerschmits really feels out of place considering that this is a story about British children.
• Peter, Reluctant hero: They overdo it too much towards the end. Its questionable whether or not they should have done it at all?
• No writing "carved as deep as a spear" on the stone table. I liked the idea of something being as deep as a spear. But the stone table was smaller than it should have been.
• The sudden ending of the battle. Sloppy writing if you ask me.
• The stone table sequence vs the battle. The climax of the book is the stone-table sequence not the battle. Shifting this focus sort of ruins the impact of the stone-table scene and the battle which was actually well visualized. I think they should have done the whole stone-table sequence in one shot instead of cutting away from it to the battle. This would have worked better.

That said, I actually enjoyed the movie somewhat. I don't know if this might deminish on repeat viewings, but I was pleased with it. But it could have been much better - it is to Adamson's credit that he has respect for the source material. But I think Adamson should have had more experience with live-action movies first. He said he wanted to make "smaller films" after the success of Shrek before being offered "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". I rather wish he had more "small film" experience because the movie, although it successfully provides spectacle, fails in the smaller details. I couldn't help but feel that they were trying to outdo Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings too much.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby TallHobbit86 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:17 am

wow... i won't be able to write such intricate reviews as some of you, but here's my two cents: it wasn't perfect, but it's still among my favorites... yes, the books are better, but the only flaw that bothered me much was their weakening of Aslan in comparison to the book.
King Moonracer: Don't tell me I need a root canal. This is a secret message... XD
Hermey the Elf, D.D.S: You need a root canal. Secret Bumping Club Member #9
King Moonracer: I asked you not to tell me that. geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html
TallHobbit86

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment