Aslan knocks the socks of Harry!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:21 am

[quote="Kawaiikneko"]Oh dear, I hate that stupid chainmail... As far as I know that is a blatant lie. However, she did do some research into cultish stuff, for things like the wood their wands.

This is, however, completely irrelevant. Let's not get into that overdone debate.
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:23 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:Oh dear, I hate that stupid chainmail... As far as I know that is a blatant lie. However, she did do some research into cultish stuff, for things like the wood their wands.

THAT WAS IN THE ONION! AN ONLINE SATIRE SITE of all things! They should be stoned and hexed for that! :comp: I can't believe people bought into The Onion's joke!
rocklobster

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:00 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:Oh dear, I hate that stupid chainmail... As far as I know that is a blatant lie. However, she did do some research into cultish stuff, for things like the wood their wands.

This is, however, completely irrelevant. Let's not get into that overdone debate.

BRAVO! Ten points for you.

Let's not let a perfectly good thread be poisoned by stupid rumors. It's too nice a thread to be beaten to a bloody pulp by Harry Hating.

rocklobster wrote:THAT WAS IN THE ONION! AN ONLINE SATIRE SITE of all things! They should be stoned and hexed for that! :comp: I can't believe people bought into The Onion's joke!

All it takes for this to happen is one person who does a google search and wants to believe what's being said without realizing that The Onion specializes in satires. That one person tells one person, who tells one person, who tells one person, and *VOILA!* we have a beautiful internet rumor!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby yukinon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:01 pm

well, Five Iron Frenzy says "it's on the internet, so it must be true".

:angel: I digress.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Tommy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:19 pm

Voyage of Dawn treader will have a lsightly different cast and so will Silver chair. I`d like to see what order they come in.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 am

hopefully i don't pull htis thread into evil war, but i'm curious, what was the opening dayfor the first HP movie? since they are both series, that would likely be the best point of comparison.

alo, i do hope they get a good Eustice. that character will make or break the voyage of the dawn treader.
TurkishMonky

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:49 am

TurkishMonky wrote:hopefully i don't pull htis thread into evil war, but i'm curious, what was the opening dayfor the first HP movie?

Opening Day for Narnia: $23,006,856

Opening Day for Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone: $32,333,203

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:59 am

Mangafanatic wrote:All it takes for this to happen is one person who does a google search and wants to believe what's being said without realizing that The Onion specializes in satires. That one person tells one person, who tells one person, who tells one person, and *VOILA!* we have a beautiful internet rumor!

There was an internet chain-letter with the Onion link that I strongly suspect was started by someone intending less than the best for Christianity.

kaemmerite wrote:It's called "reading everyone else's posts." Try it.

Actually, he wanted to compare "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone" with this movie, because they are both the first movie in a series.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:02 am

uc pseudonym wrote:Actually, he wanted to compare "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone" with this movie, because they are both the first movie in a series.

D'OH! Misread his post!

*inserts foot in mouth and takes his own advice*

I'll go see what I can scrounge up related to that...

QUICK EDIT: I've fixed my previous post with the correct info.

Nate

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 am

thanks! i'm not really on one side or the other, but that is interesting
TurkishMonky

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:21 pm

LostChild wrote:I'm sure he would have a problem. Last time I knew, Rowling is/ was a practicing 'witch' while Lewis was steadfast Christian.

No... Rowling isn't a witch... She is actually, I believe, part of a Christian denomination that views most of the events in the Bible, New and Old Testament, to be metaphorical, and doesn't believe in miracles or prophecy... While I am not sure I would call that "Christian" it's definately not wiccan... Wiccans definately believe in the supernatural, as do all Magick practicing religions...

And I am almost certain Lewis wouldn't care about the magic in Harry Potter, though he may not like other aspects of it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Lady Macbeth » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:04 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:And I am almost certain Lewis wouldn't care about the magic in Harry Potter, though he may not like other aspects of it...

Considering the amount of magic in his books, I doubt he would have much objection. His may not have been the blatant wand-waving pointed-hat witches' magic, but it's not every day that people just wander through wardrobes into another world. ;)
Toto, I don't think we're in Oz anymore...

I'm a woman - when I'm lost, I ask for directions.

Genjyo Sanzo: Banishing Stupidity, One Idiot at a Time
Lady Macbeth

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:30 pm

Well, while Narnia is an alagoricle story (That's the point of it methinks...), Harry Potter is about kids becoming Wizards and Witches, at least to my understanding.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Sakura15 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:00 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Well, while Narnia is an alagoricle story (That's the point of it methinks...), Harry Potter is about kids becoming Wizards and Witches, at least to my understanding.

Thats my understanding too.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Actually, Harry potter can be taken as allegory too, just not biblical one... It's an allegory of WWII, racism, and the brittish boarding school system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:03 pm

Random thought, Lord of the Rings was claimed to be an allegory of WWII.
I do not think CS Lewis intended this to be claimed an allegroy but just a plain story.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:15 pm

Lady Macbeth wrote:Considering the amount of magic in his books, I doubt he would have much objection. His may not have been the blatant wand-waving pointed-hat witches' magic, but it's not every day that people just wander through wardrobes into another world.

Subtle distinction: Bobtheduck was saying that Lewis wouldn't have been bothered by magic, but may not have liked other elements. Harry's highly questionable morality, for example. You are certainly correct in saying that The Chronicles of Narnia are loaded with magic.

Shao Feng Li wrote:Well, while Narnia is an alagoricle story

Actually, it isn't. It takes place in our existance, merely in another dimension. Attempting to make the series allegorical causes odd problems in interpretation, though it is obvious that Lewis used that method at times. For example, Edmond plays a Judas role, yet he finds a redemption Judas didn't.

Tom Dincht wrote:Random thought, Lord of the Rings was claimed to be an allegory of WWII.

Tolkien was quoted as saying it wasn't, though I couldn't cite you a source on that. If you've read any of the explanations of this "allegory" I think you'll find them rather amusing. All allegories break down eventually, but these do so extremely quickly.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:16 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I do not think CS Lewis intended this to be claimed an allegroy but just a plain story.

"If Aslan represented the immaterial Deity in the same way in which Giant Despair represents despair, he would be an allegorical figure. In reality however he is an invention giving an imaginary answer to the question, 'What might Christ become like, if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He actually has done in ours?' This is not allegory at all." - C.S. Lewis

Nate

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:19 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Harry Potter is about kids becoming Wizards and Witches, at least to my understanding.

A minor point which I just would like to clarify on:

Harry and Company did not become a witch or wizard at Hogwarts. They had the abilities from birth (example: Harry's releasing the Anaconda on his 11th birthday or Voldemort's terrorizing the bunny at the orphanage, prior to their advent at Hogwarts), but they were taught to control and strengthen their abilities at Hogwarts. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:25 pm

Agreed. It's more like in the case of X-Men. They start with their abilities dormant in most cases and their powers manifest and become stronger as they mature in age.
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:47 pm

The Chronicles of Narnia are suppousals, not allegory.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Previous

Return to General Entertainment