How many here are serious about martial arts?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

How many here are serious about martial arts?

Postby Destroyer2000 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 pm

And what styles? What type, and do you have your own style?
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby desperado » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Tae KwonDo, blackbelt, and if you call figuring out what works and formulating your own strategies your own style then I guess I could fit under that.
desperado

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:34 pm

i took taekwondo a lot a while back (i redid it so many times if I never quit, id be a black belt)

so.... i consider myself an unofficial blackbelt
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ~Natsumi Lam~ » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:23 pm

im very serious about it :)

i have been doing martial arts for 19 yrs. I love it!!!

Our family starting with my grandfather created a mix martial arts.... hard styles, soft styles, weapons, self-defence, ground techneques.... and so on. I love it and it is just part of who i am ... "i dont call myself a martial artist... i just live it. "

SO to better call it, formally called Heiwado aka " Way of Peace", i call it karate-fu because there are so many awsome styles in one.. i dont claim any as a superior style so just combine the best of each of the styles and always find your own weaknesses...

So yea :) i love it and live it :)

~Natsumi Lam~
my new little sis: Eriana :) an awsome woman in Christ!!

- "For we fight not against flesh and blood" -

<~~~Eph.6:12-18~~~>

~Natsumi Lam~

Postby TKD Samurai » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:44 pm

3 years of training in a few styles and weapons. It's almost a way of life for me, so I take it very seriously. I'm a black stripe in tae kwon do, hoping to qualify for the next black belt test. Right now I'm focusing on acrobatic kicks and tricks to add to my katas and weapons, and after Christmas break I want to improve my sparring skills. It's practically a way of life for me, and I become really bored if I haven't trained for 2 days in a row.
TKD Samurai

Postby DragonSlayer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Yea, Im pretty serious about it, I have my own style, its kinda like martial artis street fighting because I used to get into tons and tons of street fights and just picked up a lot of martial artist moves and combined them with everytihng I learned just fighting. but I've been in a actual class once, and that sucked cause they wouldnt let us spar.(We were kids) though I havnt been able to practice right cause nobody wants to spar. Basicly I just do what comes to me in the fight and use it again later with whatever else comes to me. I also trained myself with the sword, though im not really good at that, just getting started.
Dont ever doubt God. He can help when thing even are impossible for a Human to work out.God can help us with everything, no matter how long it takes, how much it may seem he's not doing, never doubt God.
DragonSlayer

Postby Stephen » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:21 pm

Just started a class a few weeks back that is a mix of Korean Tai Kwon Do and kickboxing.
Stephen

Postby Steeltemplar » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15 am

Well, myself.... <looks at largish stomach>....I'd love to do martial arts, but it ain't happening any time soon :sweat:

However, my younger brother is all about the martial arts. That kid is seriously into it. He practices both Hap Ki Do and Tae Kwon Do. He goes to the dojang every day and he is starting to get pretty good at it. He can beat me up now. lol.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Sakura15 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:10 pm

I would LOVE to learn ANY martial arts, tae kwon do, Karate. Something! lol.

But, no mulah to do so lol.
[color="SeaGreen"]
"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." -Isaiah 41:13
[/color]

[font="Georgia"]
Sakura's Deviantart
[/font]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]
For what do I have
If I don't have You, Jesus?
What in this life
Could mean any more?- Starfield
[/color]
Sakura15

Postby Saint Kevin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:39 am

I'm serious about martial arts...seriously too poor to pursue them. My school has a TKD club, but I've only gone to train a few times with them. Right now, I'm reading a book about Chin Na principles. It's really interesting stuff, the Chin Na. It teaches a lot of basic principles and techniques to cause pain. Exploiting pressure points, vital areas, and applying physics to normal human physiology are all techniques in the book. It's pretty involved, and draws somewhat from Chinese medicine (i.e. acupuncture) and other things. Still, it's interesting enough that I'd like to learn it some day.

We have one guy that taught some things from it at a self defense club at our school...and that guy could make you hurt in ways and places that you never knew you could. And when he took out the smaller than lincoln log sized stick that he had attached to his keychain and applied it to your pressure points in the right way...man did that hurt!

One day, I'll go back to martial arts. For now, I've taken enough Tae Kwon Do to get about halfway to black belt. Or in other words...just far enough to see that impressive and artful kicks (jump spinning hook kicks, for example) were really really difficult. So much so that I'd probably never ever chance doing one of those in a real-life fight. Pretty though. Anyway, some day I will return to martial arts in some form, but I agree with Sakura: They are expensive.

Cheap martial arts schools around here are like 60 a month. There IS an Aikido school here in Denver (that is also a sushi restaurant) that accepts live-in students though. Perhaps one day if I don't have anything else going, I'll apply to do something like that. We really need more old school martial arts teachers that will take people only so long as they are desperate to learn (and don't mind doing all of their household chores for them). I'd be all over that.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Sai » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:33 pm

I had been taking karate for about five years. I just quit though because my sensi was driving me insane in a bad way. So yeah, I took something called koei kahn or something i cant spell it. I never learned how to. So yeah i was at brown belt w/ two stripes and was a yr and 3/4s away from black.
Sai

Postby cmm » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 pm

well right now im takeing karate.. i used to do tai chi..and a little of ninjutsu my friend is learning ninjutsu so he showed me a couple of moves..and I practice the katana lol dont worry its wooden.and thats about it ive been doing martial arts for like idk 6 or 5 years..
God..rocks.. :)

^_^x <---- Kenshin shall rule the world! To help him, copy & paste this in your signature ----> ^_^x
cmm

Postby shadow_warrior » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:19 pm

I would love to take some sort of karate or another martial art. Not enough time i guess. *sigh*
shadow_warrior

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:56 pm

Tai Chi is awesome stuff. I used to make fun of it when I was younger...but now I understand. After doing some crazy stretching in one class, we did some Tai Chi. And it really cools your muscles down fast. I now practise it during my free time as a way to relax. Had my 4th class Tuesday. Things are going awesome. My joints are starting to limber up a bit...some of the stretches I can actaully do without using my hands now. I forgot to mention, somthing I am pretty proud of. My third class there I broke a 2x4 with a punch. I had tried it my first time there...and tore my hand all up. People think board breaking is easy because when people do it...it seems that way. But you really need to focus when you do that stuff. I was stubborn, and asked the teacher if I could do it again on my 3rd class. This time, I put on MMA gloves (fingerless grappling gloves) First shot I broke it. So I decided it was probably a mental thing...took the gloves off, and broke it again. So that me pretty happy.
Stephen

Return to General Entertainment