Aeonflux?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Aeonflux?

Postby Myoti » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:57 am

I saw the commercials for this and heard it's also and game and anime (though they all looked a bit... fanxervicey).

Anyone know what it's about?
Myoti

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:58 am

It's not an anime.

Aeon Flux was one of a handful of cartoons that aired on MTV back in the day, along with The Head and Beavis and Butthead.

But I never really watched Aeon Flux, so I don't know much about it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:44 am

I saw a comic about it (regular 20 page american comic book) about it in my local bookstore..the art didn't looka so good.. ^^;

The movie looks interesting though..but I am not sure if I will go see it.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Myoti » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:07 pm

A'ight, I wasn't sure if it was anime or not (but didn't some Japanese guy direct it?).
Myoti

Postby Knives » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:55 pm

Gahh, fan service is right. I probably won't see it because of that...looks like a cool movie though, Charlize Theron is pretty. :drool:
Knives

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:13 pm

The comics/americanime were made by Korean writer, Peter Chung. People here may know him better for Reign. His art is very stretched out, and features an incredible lack of clothing... The costumes on the movie are much more conservative, while still retaining the fantastic nature of the show. The show was a TV-MA and I think I've seen it given an R-18, M18 and similar ratings in non-US countries (meaning the sex content, as well as the violence, was incredibly high)

Since this has a PG-13, it has obviously been toned down a lot. Aeon Flux is a in a futuristic fantasy world... Since it's the first (quasi) anime to be released as a live action movie (something about this puts it closer to anime than spawn was) in the US, I'll be seeing it. Actually, I loved the trailers. No different than Final Fantasy X, in terms of costumes... Actually, seemed a bit tamer even.

Yeah, I'm gonna see it.

EDIT: EDIT: Ok, how about I shut up... I'll comment after I see the movie... Man...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:37 pm

All I know is that it takes some time in the future and Aeon Flux is some sort of
rogue female assassin who used to work for the government,so it has something
in common with Alias and La Femme Nikita.
mitsuki lover

Postby Tommy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:46 pm

Just looks like another 'Woman Can Beat up Men!" movie like Catwoman. Some women can beat up some men, but I hate how they make al these movies promoting it. Gee, I wonder what kind of personality she is gonna have? -Sarcastic-
Tommy

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:57 pm

MTV Original Aeon Flux: If you can get beyond the lack of clothing and improbable costumes (and that takes some doing)... Aeon Flux was a rather grim cyberpunk-era animation series that regularly appeared on MTV's Liquid Television, itself a compilation of sobering and sometimes sick animation. Not something you'd want your kids to watch (although, given the state of television today, in some ways it represents a step up from the average garbage). Very hit-and-miss anthologies. Aeon Flux rose above the rest, in my opinion, because it was creative, kept you guessing as to who the good and bad guys were -- and then you realized, in cyberpunk, everyone is bad. Also, the ending (or what I interpreted to be the ending) was absolutely unexpected -- but it was my introduction to how story lines in anime don't always work out the way you think they will.

Having seen a few of the movie previews, I guess (perhaps not very generously) that it will be watered down from its edgy, unpredictable nature in the name of marketability. But is that a good or bad thing? I have to admit worshipping at the altar of creativity from time to time, looking past content and admiring edginess... yet garbage is garbage, no matter how you repackage it.

In any case, I'm going to re-watch some of the old episodes, and see how well it has stood the test of time. My guess is that I'll sit dumfounded for a while, then say to myself, "I wonder what I ever saw in that old cartoon?"
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:54 am

I saw a commercial for the DVD box set of it. It instantly reminded me of Ghost in Shell....I have no idea why though.
Tommy

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:57 pm

In my opinion, it's a good thing it was watered down... The original comics and animated show, though I'm unsure of the MTV version, was loaded with sexual stuff beyond merely their costumes...

Personally, it just looks like a bit of mindless entertainment with cool choreography and gun-fu... Nothing spectacular, but given its origins, I'm going to see it just on pure merits of that... Now, if it had been given an R rating, I'd be afraid it was a more accurate adaptation, like Sin City (though the costumes show it wouldn't be near as accurate as Sin City) and I would have avoided it.

I'll probably sorta like it for the same reason I liked "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" which, of course, is purely for how cool it looked. Then I'll just wait for Battle Angel, which Jim Cameron is making, and of course the "undiscussable" movie that Weta started work on but postponed to work on like 7 other projects... They'll actually be real anime movies... Oh, and speed racer... I'd see that too, though I've never sat through an entire episode of the anime...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 pm

I think it'll rock. Didn't Therzon play Trinity in The Matrix? Sure looks like her.
rocklobster

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:15 am

Um no. Trinity was played by Carrie-Anne Moss.
Stephen

Postby Kisa » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:33 am

it looks like it will be pretty cool, but the original art of the show was weird....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:14 pm

I personally think this movie looks very uninteresting. Maybe part of it is I know practically nothing about the story and plot, but I know the commercials have done absolutely nothing for me.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Mikomi » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:17 pm

I think I'm just gonna wait until this one comes out on DVD.
Mikomi

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:10 pm

Never liked Peter Chung, or Aeon Flux.

I'll skip this one. I mean, come on, who needs any more movies when you've got masterpieces like "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"?
Joshua Christopher

Postby Mave » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:29 pm

I've always liked chicks-kick-butt movies done in a tasteful manner such as Tomb Raider (in my opinion at least). For some reason, Charlize Theron looks way more appealing than Halle Berry in Catwoman.

EDIT: Eeek, I just saw the original comic version. That's one horrible-looking suit, not to mention, pretty impractical (No offence to those who liked it). And what's up with the ram head-looking hairdo? :eh: I'm so glad they did something else to the character design.
Mave

Postby Myoti » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:59 pm

I just wanna know what's up with those metal ball thingys that blow up a wall or whatever. And the spikey grass. Man, it just looks so cool...
Myoti

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:40 pm

I saw it... It was way better than I expected... I really just wanted to see it because of it's ameranime turned into live action, but this actually ended up being a good movie... Really, the only part of the movie I really didn't like was the ending... Or, one facet of the ending... [spoiler=End of the movie]I'm not sure if it started in Logan's run, but the ending looked so much like logan's run, it was rediculous...[/spoiler]

For those worried about fanservice, there were two big scenes that were fanservicy... One scene near the beginning where Aeon is in her sleeping "clothes" looks a little more like the costumes in the show... Fabric strips, basically... Looks like something Chung would have made. Then there's a sex scene, which [spoiler]ends with Aeon fighting naked in the bed, after which she dresses again, the camera focusing on her putting her clothes back on... Nothing detailed, though it comes really close...[/spoiler] Aside from those two scenes, this was actually very tame...

Besides that, the violence is sparse but one very cringeworthy scene... Aeon bites and pulls earrings off someone she fights with... I was wincing when I saw that.

I've heard that critics hate this movie... A lot of people think it just looks rediculous... Well, I'll probably be in the minority, but I thought this was a good movie...
Bobtheduck

Postby Keely » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:31 am

Plot was actually very good, I was amazed. As a sci-fi buff who is currently watching a score of other sci-fi movies for a book I'm writing, I was very pleased as far as the ideas in the movie where concerned. The fanservice was nowhere near what it was in the animation, but was still there. If you have problems with that, I'd suggest staying away, if you have problems with implied sex and implied nudity, stay away, if not, and you're an adult, it's not bad.

I dont' think it's appropriate for 13 and up, I would've rated it R going by my OWN rating scale, but going by the rating scale society uses, it was a very PG-13-styled movie.
Love it seems made flying dreams so hearts could soar . . .
Keely

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:39 pm

Like most people figured would happen, this movie didn't do well in the box office. Come on, guys! With no stupid sexual dialogue that would be expected from something like this, and with a good plot and good acting, also not expected from this, I think people should give it a chance... It saddens me that this is bombing... It shouldn't be...

I think people should check this one out...
Bobtheduck

Postby Tarnish » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:59 pm

It looks very interesting. I would like to see it soon, but I'm afraid it may be out of theaters before I get the chance.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Maledicte » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:08 am

I still think it's funny that as soon as certain actresses win Best Actress Oscars, they don tight suits and jump around in action/scifi movies.
Maledicte

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm thinking this may become a cult favorite... It won't garner a following until hardcore fans start showing the friends that never would have seen it in the theaters just because they didn't like the way the previews looked. Then video sales will shoot up... Or, at least, netflix rentals... *sigh*
Bobtheduck

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:09 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I still think it's funny that as soon as certain actresses win Best Actress Oscars, they don tight suits and jump around in action/scifi movies.

Yeah but on a different note Oscar winning actors doing sucky movies right after. Jamie Foxx comes to mind with Stealth after Ray.:eyeroll:

And you're right Bob it will probably become a cult favorite. Alot of these kind of sci-fi movies (as in ones without Aliens/Star Wars/Star Trek/etc. in the name) do poor at the box office like Serenity but do great in DVD sales.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:39 am

Yojimbo wrote:Yeah but on a different note Oscar winning actors doing sucky movies right after. Jamie Foxx comes to mind with Stealth after Ray.:eyeroll:

And you're right Bob it will probably become a cult favorite. Alot of these kind of sci-fi movies (as in ones without Aliens/Star Wars/Star Trek/etc. in the name) do poor at the box office like Serenity but do great in DVD sales.

Yep. I give you exhibit A: Tron .
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:28 pm

I think the movie looks good, not too mention its got the woman from Mighty Joe Young in it. Charlize Therzon or something. I want to see it but I'll probably wait for the DVD.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:41 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this flick, because (seeing some of the original Flux toons) I knew exactly what to expect (Most of the critics don't.) and that is: visually oriented, cool, artsy, cyberpunk styled-sci-fi action with a perfectly fitting techno-based soundtrack.

There's alot of interesting and out-there stuff that you just don't see most sci-fi. It's not trying to be the best drama or best story, what it IS, is a very entertaining movie for artsy gluttons like myself. Plain and simple. If that sounds like it's up your alley, well what the heck are still sitting around here for?

Zipo.
Ichigo_89

Postby Tarnish » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:46 pm

My thoughts exactly, sir.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Next

Return to General Entertainment