Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:52 pm

Who's seen this movie? Its great fun! Its Hayao Miyazaki's first movie. Odd at times and very funny and action packed but it also has a lot of heart. I don't really go for the character styles in the movie, but for all that this is still one entertaining anime movie!

Its PG in Australia for Low Level Violence but it does have a fair bit of moderate language in the dub for that rating (I haven't watched the sub but I will later).
I still enjoy Nausicaa and Laputa: Castle in the Sky more, but this movie is great light hearted fun. Its a classic.
For those who've seen it please share what you thought.

Here's a pic from the movie to whet your appetite:
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:40 pm

Oh, plenty of fun. I think this is the one where Lupin wears a green coat instead of a red one.

I liked the movie - thief versus counterfeiter, with a princess in the middle, and a cop on one side - but which one? Excellent fun for the whole family, except the dog, who doesn't care, and the cat, who'd rather play with your foot or sit in your lap, and if you have a goldfish, well, they won't be able to follow more than three seconds of plot at a time, so... fun for all the humans in your family - except, of course, the ones who aren't arount, aren't watching, &c. Well, you get the point. It's fun.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:47 pm

I love this movie - its one of the first anime DVD's I've bought. But the other Lupin III movies can be pretty nihilistic and perverse, which this one thank goodness is not. I loved every moment of it (even the plot-holes). Oh joy!!!
bigsleepj

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:35 am

I wuv this movie^^ One of those movies that friends would give ya funyn looks if you suggested to watch it with them :/

...it wasn't until AFTER that I discovered that if Miyazaki isn't directing Lupin 3... yikes! Bouhgt me another Lupin movie, blindly, and I was not pleased :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby termyt » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:52 am

Yes, this movie is both fantastic and wholy not representative of any other Lupin movie or series.

That should be fair warning, but what else would we expect from Miyazaki?
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby TrigunX89 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:12 pm

This is on my "must-see" list. I don't think they have it at my Blockbuster. Maybe I'll just have to buy it. I've heard only great things about it, and every Miyazaki film I've seen thus far has been worthy of a purchase.
TrigunX89

Postby Arnobius » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:57 pm

The US version is from Mangle, er, Manga. Great movie. Timeless classic
Arnobius

Postby shooraijin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:24 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:I wuv this movie^^ One of those movies that friends would give ya funyn looks if you suggested to watch it with them :/

...it wasn't until AFTER that I discovered that if Miyazaki isn't directing Lupin 3... yikes! Bouhgt me another Lupin movie, blindly, and I was not pleased :/

Actually, the Fuma Conspiracy is also very good -- I just need to write a review. It has minimal Fujiko hijinx and an excellent script. It's a little hard to find but AnimEigo might still carry it; I found it in Fry's.

The very first movie, Secret of Mamo, is definitely 18+ due to the large amount of nudity and sex humour, however. See the review in the anime reviews section.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:16 pm

This is an excellent movie, and a classic. One I still really want to own. It was the first time I saw any Japanese Lupin too.
BTW, this belongs in the Anime board.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Steeltemplar » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:57 am

I would say this is my favorite Lupin movie after The Secret of Mamo and Episode 0. Great, great stuff.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:48 am

I really liked this, too, but it was so unlike Lupin in every way that it just didn't fit... It should have been a different story rather than Lupin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Zane » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:21 pm

I saw it recently and loved the part where lupin tries in vain to swim up the waterfall, that part was gold. Enjoyable and recommended.
Zane

Return to General Entertainment