Mirror Mask - Neil Gaiman

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Mirror Mask - Neil Gaiman

Postby Zane » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:42 pm

Written by Neil Gaiman, this looks very interesting. "Alice in Wonderland of the 21st Century" someone said. The trailer is also pretty weird. Keep an eye out for it.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/mirrormask/index.html
Zane

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Oo, that looks interesting. Though I bet it would have traumatized me for life when I was a kid, some of the imagery looks preeeetty far out.

The site is quite pretty too ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Tarnish » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:03 pm

I don't think either of my parents will care for it too much, so I may have to wait for this one to come out on video. Still, it looks beautifully bizarre.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:39 am

Well, the fact that Neil Gaiman is writing is going for it, but otherwise I can't say I'm terribly interested. I will probably wait until others review it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:39 am

Does anyone know when it's coming out? I saw the trailer about a year ago off the Neverwhere DVD.
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:07 am

It was released a few weeks ago in a very limited release. It already had a few reviews.
bigsleepj

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:30 am

I caught it Monday night. Of course there's more to it than pretty pictures but for me that was definitely the highlight. Strangely enough, the film was the most fun when it was at its most disturbing, which it manages to do fairly frequently despite the minimal violence and complete absence of gore.
Cap'n Nick

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:38 am

I heard its coming into extended release this week... I hope thats right because i wanna see it.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed May 10, 2006 6:01 pm

Just saw this... Man, is this movie a trip. For all the movies I hear (often derogitorily) compared to Alice in Wonderland, this is the first one I can agree with, but it deviates from that enough to say this is something truly different...

This is a very imaginative movie, to say the least. It's one of those, much like another of my favorites, in which [spoiler]the ending is given away right at the beginning, but a major red herring is thrown in to trick you into thinking the impression you got was fake.[/spoiler]

I loved this, although it gives way to the very uncomfortably forced preachiness that these sort of fantasy stories usually are (call it the disney curse) at the exact wrong moments (the scene with the dark queen getting ready to call her back... ugh)

Well... Despite that, and an ending that was a bit unsatisfactory, this movie was a beautiful trip, and was worth it if only for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby The Last Bard » Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 pm

I've been wanting to see this...I enjoy watching some of the lower budget films. I'll have to pick it up sometime.
The Last Bard

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu May 11, 2006 7:37 am

I never heard about this one. Looks interesting; I'll have to see if it's available for rent around here.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Maledicte » Thu May 11, 2006 10:10 pm

I love the "Bob" scene! And the dialogue is unmistakably Gaiman. I do agree that the Dark Queen preachy-bit was heavy-handed, but the characters were all great.

Love, Love the dialogue.
Maledicte

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 11, 2006 10:13 pm

I saw this along time ago in theaters... I was quite disappointed with it. Of course it was only my most anticipated movie of 2005 and I had been waiting months to see it so maybe thats why. It was good though... just so bumbed. I'll have to watch this again, maybe I'll like it better.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Animus Seed » Fri May 19, 2006 3:38 pm

I loved the movie. It didn't release in theaters anywhere around me, so I had to wait for the DVD (which I snapped up on release date). Gaiman's a plus, definitely, but it gave me a new respect for Dave McKean, too. The commentary was interesting (to me, at least, as a writer)... little goofs in the script, like the scene where one of the characters is supposed to eat "chips."
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat May 20, 2006 7:55 am

I got the DVD shortly after its release. Amazing. This is the fantasy film I've been waiting for all my life. I love Gaiman's "The Sandman" comics and McKean's art is really imaginative. For them to combine their talents in such a big project is just awesome. I've always loved the idea of a character shifting between two parallel worlds.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Tarnish » Sun May 21, 2006 8:13 am

I watched it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! Being a fan of Alice in Wondeland probably helped, though.

I can see how others would hate it, but the art, the CG, its' storytelling...everything about it was right up my alley. I'd recommend it just about anyone who are Hayao Miyazaki or Terry Gilliam fans, especially.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby EireWolf » Sun May 21, 2006 7:14 pm

It's on my wish iist. :)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 22, 2006 1:21 pm

I've actually never heard of this. Living in a small town keeps me from seeing the less-well known movies, I suppose. XD Anyways, I think it looks quite interesting. I'd like to see it sometime, maybe I'll rent it from Netflix. As they said in the trailer I watched, it does look quite similar to The Dark Crystal, which is interesting, since I was talking about that movie with one of my drama teachers today. As a big fan of Alice in Wonderland and fantasy in general, I'm interested in seeing this one! :)
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to General Entertainment