Myth Busters

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Myth Busters

Postby ashfire » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:17 pm

How many like watching Myth Busters and which experiments have you enjoyed watching them prove that didn't work or did actually work.
One I enjoyed was that a stick of dynamite would breakup cement that sets up in the barrel of a cement mixer truck. The experiment was messed up because the barrel was over filled and when the dynamite was used only broke up a small amount depending on the size of the explosive.
At the end they decided to blow the whole truck up which involved a whole lot of closing of roads and being at a safe distance of 5 miles or more.
A few other experiments have been interesting like would body piercing jewelry attract lightning if you are standing outside or a cannon made out of wood.
ashfire

Postby Neosevangel » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:50 pm

MYTH BUSTERS ROCKS!
I really enjoy all of their experiments.
Neosevangel

Postby Ashley » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:56 pm

I love this show! Jamie and Adam are my heroes! I've loved several of their myths, like the exploding jawbreaker (true), Indiana Jones the Parachute (not true), the Canadian pilot and his exploding hair creme (true)....umm...wow, I've seen a lot more but I can't think of any. But yeah, I love this show. My number one reason for not applying as an intern?

To quote Tory,
"math is hard!"
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:58 pm

Blowing up a cement truck?!? Wow, does that ever bring back memories.
Mithrandir

Postby Scribs » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:37 pm

I loved the one about the Chinese Emporor who made a "Flying throne" That one didnt end pretty! But boy was it an awsome explosion.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby soul alive » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:57 pm

I love this show. I watch it whenever I'm home, and actually have a tv.

My favorite has to be the episode with the barrel of bricks. That one still makes me chuckle, just thinking about it. The myth is about a man, pulling a barrel of bricks up a scaffold, and the pulley breaks, the barrel falls, hits the ground, the bottom breaks causing the bricks to fall out, so the barrel gets pulled back up, hitting the man in the process. or something like that. And they proved that it was possible for that to happen.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby ashfire » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:31 pm

soul alive wrote:I love this show. I watch it whenever I'm home, and actually have a tv.

My favorite has to be the episode with the barrel of bricks. That one still makes me chuckle, just thinking about it. The myth is about a man, pulling a barrel of bricks up a scaffold, and the pulley breaks, the barrel falls, hits the ground, the bottom breaks causing the bricks to fall out, so the barrel gets pulled back up, hitting the man in the process. or something like that. And they proved that it was possible for that to happen.

I think it goes like this; The man wants to lower a barrel of bricks to the ground. He unties the rope. The barrel weights more than the man who is pulled off the ground. On the way up he collides with the barrel going down. The barrel hits the ground breaking the bottom out of the barrel which also releases the bricks which makes the barrel lighter than the man. The man still holding the rope now starts dropping to the ground while the barrel now starts to fly back into the air colliding with the man on his way down. After the man hits the load of bricks on the ground he releases the rope which was holding the barrel up in the air. He is now looking at a falling barrel heading for his head. :wow!:
ashfire

Postby soul alive » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:26 am

XD. I figured I was simplifying it too much. lol. Either way, much pain involved.

It also cracks me up that there are dead pigs buried under the sidewalk in front of their building from one of their myth tests. (the episode on Jimmy Hoffa?)
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Mr. Rogers » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:29 am

myth busters is like...the best show ever
Mr. Rogers

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:58 pm

Great show! I always watch it when I can. Poor Buster has had it pretty rough hasn't he?
That cement truck explosion one was very cool and extremely dangerous. Adam's a real character. And Jamie? Got to love his walrus moustache! (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:31 pm

I wish I got paid to blow up all the stuff they blow up on that show. :lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Postby ashfire » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:46 pm

Has anyone tried to get on their website and submit a myth to bust or a experiment to try.
I put one in there but I don't think they got to that one. It involves a inner tube from a airplane, a slow air hose, a storage shed and a dumpter. Something my father did when he was in the Navy years ago.
They have a list to be sure that you don't submit one already tried or is worth it.
ashfire

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:27 am

I love Mythbusters too! But unfortunately it is on Monday nights which tends to be my busiest night... mostly I can't be bothered taping it, but if I can't be bothered doing work I watch it :).
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:21 pm

Jamie and Adam are two of the coolests guys on TV!

It's hard to believe that Jamie is 70-something years old! He really doesn't look it!

(In all honesty, he kinda looks like a little walrus in a beret and white shirt, but we won't go there! :) )
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Alice » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:14 pm

Is he really that old? o.o
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:30 pm

Uh-huh! Actually, once I read your message, I went back to the website to get his EXACT age..and I was off...WAAAAAY Off... He's actually 86! I read it in a chat log on the Discovery website!

Interesting note: Jamie can lift 450 POUNDS!

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:25 pm

Jamie is not 86 or 70. Very laughable guys! He'd be lucky to be pushing 50 years old.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 pm

But that's what he said in the chat logs!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:43 pm

What? Did he detox for 30 years or something? (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:47 pm

I know, I know, he really and truly doesn' t look it, does he? He looks like he could be in his 50's or something! But, no matter how old he is, he's still really cool! He's the only one, other than the French (Big shout out to all my friends in Paris--all one of you! :lol: ) who looks good in a beret!

He and Adam are like ying and yang--they're so opposite, but they have a cool flow!

KhakiBlueSocks

Return to General Entertainment