great NZ movie!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

great NZ movie!

Postby Kisa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:46 am

I recently saw the movie Whale Rider. It takes place in NZ and is about a Maori girl. I won't spoil, but it is really good and has alot about the Maori culture and traditions and awesome NZ scenery too! I want for Christmas! You all should check it out if you like NZ or just a good movie. Has anyone else seen this? Leave more opinions if you have . . . must promote this movie, I love it!
:thumb:
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:35 am

A great film, I highly recommend it! I saw it in theatre a few months ago. I also really recommend "Once Were Warriors", although it is not really suitable for the very young or the squemish.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:06 am

I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of the underdog Australian show Disney aired years ago called "Ocean Girl". Anyone else remember that? I loved that show, and watched it as faithfully as I could at (approx.)8 or 9 years old.
Ashley

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:49 pm

Don't want to take this off topic, but Technomancer the movie is "Once We Were Soldiers". Yes that is an excellent movie and doesn't get bogged down by antiwar junk. It was definitely gory.

All I remember was that Ebert and Roeper liked "Whale Rider".
Lochaber Axe

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:34 pm

Er? You're thinking of the Mel Gibson film right? That's not the one I'm talking about (which is "Once Were Warriors", after Alan Duff's novel of the same name). Like "Whale Rider", it is also concerned with the lives of the modern-day Maori.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kisa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:51 pm

Yay! Whale Rider . . . I have been to NZ and wanna live there, and I just love the culture and when I saw this movie I though is was sooo neat and cool!
Oh yeah, I remember Ocean Girl! I loved that show!!!!! I watched it a ton, and I got the book. We lived in Australia when it came out, and I bought the book at a book fair at elementary school. I wish they still showed it on TV . . .
:thumb: :rock: :jump: :hug:
Kisa

Postby Tet-chan » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:26 am

ha ha,i live in NZ
THe movie is indeed really nice
Tet-chan

Postby Kisa » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:24 pm

ooo you lucky!!!!! I am jealous!!!! I wanna live in South island of NZ! I LOVE it there!
:jump:
Kisa

Postby Tet-chan » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:43 am

Good choice,its pretty crowded up in the north island
Tet-chan

Postby Kisa » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:13 pm

I just recently read an article that the girl who plays Paikea was nominated for an Oscar! She will be one of the youngest, she was 11 at the movie time and 13 now. Its soooo cool! I hope she wins! :)
Kisa

Postby CrashFan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:56 pm

I live in nz to ^^ south island ^^ i havent seen the movie cos id cry >_>; but i think i might being like one half inch maori myself ^^
Repeat after me "This world is made of...LOVE AND PEAAACCEEE!!!!" >_< :thumb:
CrashFan

Postby Kisa » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:39 pm

OOOOOOO I love the south island!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are soooo lucky! ^_^
I love this movie because its in NZ . . . :)
Kisa

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:34 pm

I saw Whale Rider on tv yesterday. It was very emotional. Quite good too. I love the Maori cultural its so unique. It definetly reminded me of Ocean Girl (I grew up on all 4 series), but that was Australian and Whale Rider is NZ.
Funny how it was PG-13 for you guys and PG (for some adult themes/language) for us.
I thought Keisha was a great actress.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to General Entertainment