The Exorcism of Emily Rose?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose?

Postby blue elf » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:02 pm

I have a friend who really wants me to see this movie with her. I'm not really into most horror movies, but I thought I might go if I don't think it'll freak me out too bad, so I was just wondering if anyone has seen it? If so how is it? Is it really gross or anything? Really scary? and lastly is it actually any good story-wise?
-BlueElf
blue elf

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm kinda curious about it myself...exorcism movies are scarier than regular horror movies because it's something that can actually happen. :\
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kisa » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:48 pm

I hear its REALLY scary... like a new exorcist or something.... *shudders*
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby CephasWhite » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:00 pm

It's questionable. I haven't seen it yet but here's my two cents:

I've noticed that exorcist movies nowadays aren't sugar coated like back then. What I mean is that the producers are showing what it's really like to exorcist someone, and what the possessed person is going through.

The only thing that upsets me is that they only focus on the evil side and the possessed part of the movie. They focus more on the evil then the good.

Now with The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I am interested in seeing it, but with hopes and expectations. I am hoping they don't slam our faith and make this movie anti-christian as if God didn't care about this girl and let her die anyway.

I do expect that this movie will have lots of jumpy situations, and ghoulish situations of decreped (spell?) people and things. The voice of the devil is an already known thing. If you want to see the trailer for this I can PM you.

Just realize that when you see this movie, don't believe everything it says. It might say it's based on a true story, but you know how producers like to go overboard with things. Also remember that God is always with you and you can leave the theatre anytime.
Two Steps From Hell - Tristan <--(click)
†††††††††††††
We have been here long enough to know
That we are all brothers and sisters in Christ,
So if you are in need of help,
We shall give you His advice.

May God add his blessings upon you,
That you will live this day and forever,
And when He comes to the earth again,
We will all go together...

Into Heaven for Eternity...

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby dragonshimmer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Demon posession terrifies me, but a friend managed to talk me into this movie.

To address some things already brought up in this thread:

1. It's VERY realistic. It's not overdone with gore and special effects. In fact, it's so realistic that...well...it hits much closer to home.

2. Cephas...I won't give anything away, but there's actually a very beautiful touching portion to the story. Unlike previous demon posession movies, this story has a POINT, and a story line. It's not just about special effects and how much the story can creep someone out...there's a point. It frankly touched me, despite the subject. It's not anti-God or Christianity, I believe, and nor is it anti-Catholic.

I DID find this movie unnerving and had trouble sleeping for a few nights. I saw it a week ago and if I wake up early in the wee hours of morn, I say a little prayer because I'm unsettled and I automatically think about some aspects of the movie, but I'm actually glad that I went to see it. I know this type of movie isn't for everyone...but I found it worth my while, worth the loss of sleep, and well worth th $7.75 I spent on it.
dragonshimmer

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:25 pm

You can always read the review at http://www.pluggedinonline.com, you know.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:39 pm

CephasVII wrote:Now with The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I am interested in seeing it, but with hopes and expectations. I am hoping they don't slam our faith and make this movie anti-christian as if God didn't care about this girl and let her die anyway.

I doubt it is anti-Christian since the director/co-writer, Scott Derrickson, is a Christian who believes Horror should be very good genre for Christian films. (I wonder how Shatterheart feels about that since he is a horror film fan.)

Here is an interview ChristianityToday had with Derrickson.

Also, here is ChristianityToday's review of the film.

One criticism I have heard about this film is that this really is not a horror film but a courtroom drama that deals with questions about the supernatural with spooky flashbacks. Hence, some might feel a little misled by the marketing commercials for this film.

Anyway, I have not seen the film, but I thought the links will clear things up for further discussion.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:52 pm

I thought at first this movie was just another thriller but with the views of the director and both reviews, I may want to see it (but be scare dou to fmy wits...I am freake dout easily).
Hitokiri

Postby Vash is a plant » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:52 am

It's a good movie and it will make you jump. The most disappointing part was that most of the movie was a court-room drama. I would have liked to have see the whole story of Emily Rose with her being the main character and not just a major one.

And no, it isn't anti-Christian. ^.^
"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13 :thumb:
:dance: :jump: :hug: :comp: :poke: :drool:
I have a Deviant Art! http://keiko-mukisune.deviantart.com/
Vash is a plant

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:25 pm

Vash is a plant wrote:It's a good movie and it will make you jump. The most disappointing part was that most of the movie was a court-room drama. I would have liked to have see the whole story of Emily Rose with her being the main character and not just a major one.

Note I have yet to see this movie and I am not sure if I will. However, I think the entire reason why they made this movie is for the court room drama. Sure you can tell the whole story of Emily Rose but when you do that and not add a different atmopshere, it just becomes a regular "sounds that go bump in the movie". I think, and I'm just going on what people have said, the trailers Ive seen, and reviews, that the emotion drives from the court room scenes, explaining what is going on. By going back to the past (thats what it does if I am correct) and recounting what happened with Emily Rose, I think we are given a much more refined and articulated idea of who she was, what went inside her head, and what utimately happened rather then a present-tense perspective. Like I said, without a different atmopshere...it just becomes another thriller.
Hitokiri

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:32 pm

Vash is a plant wrote:It's a good movie and it will make you jump. The most disappointing part was that most of the movie was a court-room drama. I would have liked to have see the whole story of Emily Rose with her being the main character and not just a major one.

Note I have yet to see this movie and I am not sure if I will. However, I think the entire reason why they made this movie is for the court room drama. Sure you can tell the whole story of Emily Rose but when you do that and not add a different atmopshere, it just becomes a regular "sounds that go bump in the movie". I think, and I'm just going on what people have said, the trailers Ive seen, and reviews, that the emotion drives from the court room scenes, explaining what is going on. By going back to the past (thats what it does if I am correct) and recounting what happened with Emily Rose, I think we are given a much more refined and articulated idea of who she was, what went inside her head, and what utimately happened rather then a present-tense perspective. Like I said, without a different atmopshere...it just becomes another thriller.
Hitokiri

Postby CephasWhite » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:34 pm

hm, okay, I see your guy's points. They're good. Well, I have to say these posts have given me the urge to see it more.

Hopefully I'll see it in theatres before it goes away.

Thanks guys :thumb:
†††††††††††††

[SIZE="5"][color="Green"]M[/color][color="Red"]E[/color][color="Green"]R[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]Y[/color] [color="Red"]C[/color][color="Green"]H[/color][color="Red"]R[/color][color="Green"]I[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]T[/color][color="Red"]M[/color][color="Green"]A[/color][color="Red"]S[/color][color="Green"]![/color][color="Red"]![/color][color="Green"]![/color][/SIZE]
CephasWhite

Postby CDLviking » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:40 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing it. The Bishops gave it a good review on their website, and it's based on an actual event. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
CDLviking

Postby agasfas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:19 pm

I saw the movie the day it came out. Err... the movie was okay. I would say about a B grade. To be honest, initially hearing it was focused on a court trail, I didn't expect it to be too entertaining. But it was actually well done in that aspect. My friends talked me into seeing it. Would I purchase the movie, probably not, but it's worth a watch I think. Well, if you enjoy suspense/horror type films.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:11 am

Just saw it. Now I'm awake...at 3 AM. I think that speaks pretty well for its creepiness factor.
Cap'n Nick

Postby dragonshimmer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:39 am

Cap'n Nick wrote:Just saw it. Now I'm awake...at 3 AM. I think that speaks pretty well for its creepiness factor.

You too, huh? I make certain that I'm asleep by 3 AM now, and heaven forbid I wake up any time right at or before 3 AM...or I'm not sleeping the rest of the night.

Isn't it amazing how a simple movie can suddenly make things that were once normal ominous? Make you pay attention to things that were never worth paying attention to before?
dragonshimmer

Postby blue elf » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:21 am

Hmm, I'm still debating whether or not to see this. My friend wants me too, but I creep out easily sometimes when it comes to movies. Thanks for all the info though. ^^
blue elf

Postby CDLviking » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:48 am

I'm just happy that I live three doors down from a priest for the night I see it.
CDLviking

Postby dragonshimmer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:02 am

CDLviking wrote:I'm just happy that I live three doors down from a priest for the night I see it.

<.<

Lucky. Meanwhile, some of us slept with the covers over our head next to an open Bible for a week.
dragonshimmer

Postby CDLviking » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:37 pm

In all seriousness, if you are ever really creeped out and afraid of demonic activity, praises of the Divine Name and intersession to St. Michael the Archangel work wonders. Satan cannot stand the Divine Name and St. Michael is in charge of casting out Satan.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God,
cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.
CDLviking

Postby starfire » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:44 pm

Lucky. Meanwhile, some of us slept with the covers over our head next to an open Bible for a week.

You've done that too? I used to do that if I watched a show about ghosts or excorcism. Some people should not be allowed to have the TLC channel. I think I'm just gonna rent the movie. That way you can fast forward through the scary parts.
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?threadid=27354
My thread. Click the magical link and ye shall be transported to a land of threadiness!

You shall still ph3ar the ninja! ^ ~

God bless and keep you all the days of your life.
starfire

Postby Steeltemplar » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm

CDLviking wrote:In all seriousness, if you are ever really creeped out and afraid of demonic activity, praises of the Divine Name and intersession to St. Michael the Archangel work wonders. Satan cannot stand the Divine Name and St. Michael is in charge of casting out Satan.

[align=center]St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle]

A very good prayer. I have actually attended some masses where they pray that at the end of the service. Thought that was a nice idea.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby dragonshimmer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:59 pm

CDLviking wrote:In all seriousness, if you are ever really creeped out and afraid of demonic activity, praises of the Divine Name and intersession to St. Michael the Archangel work wonders. Satan cannot stand the Divine Name and St. Michael is in charge of casting out Satan.

[align=center]St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle]

*writes down* Thank you. I appreciate that.

My fear...is um... ^^;; It's not without warrant. Perhaps this will come in handy one day. Thank you :)
dragonshimmer

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:01 pm

blue elf wrote:I have a friend who really wants me to see this movie with her. I'm not really into most horror movies, but I thought I might go if I don't think it'll freak me out too bad, so I was just wondering if anyone has seen it? If so how is it? Is it really gross or anything? Really scary? and lastly is it actually any good story-wise?
-BlueElf

im never ever ever watching a horror movie.... T_T
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CephasWhite » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:04 pm

I thought The Ring was the last horror movie I was going to watch because after that wrongly rated movie, I had enough.

I guess my horrorness feelings got the best of me.

And to shimmy and the others who are scared.

*gives them a caressing and squeezy hug*
It's okay, God's with you :3
†††††††††††††

CephasWhite

Postby Puguni » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:55 pm

I'm probably going to watch this movie in broad daylight with all the lights on and people in the room anyway. But I was wondering how the guy who is the voice of the Devil feels about his role. I mean, that's a pretty weird feeling. o.o
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Maledicte » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:29 pm

Probably the same as the gal who did Satan in the Passion of the Christ...
Maledicte

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:43 pm

I saw it and I thought it was pretty good. A lot better than any of those other Exorcist movies. I thought the courtroom scenes were really well done and they made things creepy and freaky without resorting to lots of gore and gross-out stuff.

ooh! Scott Derrickson was involved with Dracula 2000? I thought that was a great movie ^^
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby dragonshimmer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:55 am

Rocketshipper wrote:I saw it and I thought it was pretty good. A lot better than any of those other Exorcist movies. I thought the courtroom scenes were really well done and they made things creepy and freaky without resorting to lots of gore and gross-out stuff.

ooh! Scott Derrickson was involved with Dracula 2000? I thought that was a great movie ^^

See, I liked the courtroom essence as well. I know some people felt it detracted from the movie...but I felt it gave it a more realistic feel and gave us a more in depth look into Emily Rose's character.
dragonshimmer

Postby Steeltemplar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:22 am

But does it have the creepy Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells" soundtrack?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Return to General Entertainment