Anime or Star Trek: Who has the Most Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Anime or Star Trek: Who has the Most Fans?

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:38 am

This is something that I've been wondering for quite a while: Anime fans are called otaku's, Star Trek fans are called Trekkies, who has the better/most fans?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Rev. Doc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:48 am

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:This is something that I've been wondering for quite a while: Anime fans are called otaku's, Star Trek fans are called Trekkies, who has the better/most fans?

They both can be extremely dangerous if crossed.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Jeikobu » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:04 am

Star Trek may have alot of fans but between Japan, America and other places it's hard to imagine the number of them passing the number of anime nuts.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:08 am

Otaku-chan here!
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby shooraijin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Rev. Doc wrote:They both can be extremely dangerous if crossed.

Quite. I mean, imagine the spawn of an anime fan and a Star Trek fan ... wow. That's, like, life-threateningly geeky. :D The Punnett square would shatter.

(This is said from someone who *is* an anime and Star Trek fan, although I prefer the Old Series -- the movies in particular. Captain Kirk :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: )
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mave » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:12 pm

LOL This is SO not fair, making this type of poll in a forum, mostly populated by anime fans.
Mave

Postby The Grammarian » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:55 pm

shooraijin wrote:This is said from someone who *is* an anime and Star Trek fan, although I prefer the Old Series -- the movies in particular. Captain Kirk :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Likewise, I prefer the Star Trek movies 1-6, back when the old Enterprise crew (Kirk, et al) were the stars.

As for whether anime or Star Trek has more fans, I think it's comparing apples and oranges. Anime is an entire production genre, whereas Star Trek is a single sci-fi franchise (even if it does have multiple shows within that franchise).

I refuse to vote because I think the comparison is unfair, but with that said, simply for the fact that anime is a much broader field than Star Trek, I think anime has more fanatics than Star Trek.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Anime has more fanatics... Because it is broader, as has been said...

They have equally obsessive fans, though Trekkies are more likely to say it's real than Otaku... Then again, I can't believe how many people think Giant Mechs are Possible, Plausible, and even the wave of the future... *sigh* So, take out mech fans, and anime fans aren't quite as obsessive overall...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Alice » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:39 pm

I second Mr. Grammar's remark.

It's comparing two different things.

But in the U.S.... Hm. I wonder. XD
Alice

Postby Myoti » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm

LOL This is SO not fair, making this type of poll in a forum, mostly populated by anime fans.

Yeah, that's what I thought. :lol:

I'm more of a Star Wars fan myself, but I have been known to watch some Trekkie on occasion.
Myoti

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Most/Bigger Fans? Anime or Star Trek?
There are probably more anime fans. But the Trekkies are probably bigger.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Jeikobu » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:45 pm

shooraijin wrote:(This is said from someone who *is* an anime and Star Trek fan, although I prefer the Old Series -- the movies in particular. Captain Kirk :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: )

I'm not really into Star Trek but for the most part the Next Generation isn't bad (I like Picard, Data, and especially Worf), and I liked the movie The Undiscovered Country. Spock's great.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:50 pm

shooraijin wrote:(This is said from someone who *is* an anime and Star Trek fan, although I prefer the Old Series -- the movies in particular. Captain Kirk :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: )

I'm afraid i'm going to have to disagree with ya there! I'm a Sisko person (DS9) myself. He's so cool! He knows how to fight, and he's a family man! I have the special edition for all 9 movies, and I'm going to finish out the collection with "Star Trek Nemesis" SE when it comes out in a few weeks! I'm a Trek-taku as well!

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:51 am

Augh, Nemesis. I was very, very disappointed with that movie. It seemed like a bad rehash of Wrath of Khan. It seemed like a two part episode from the show that someone decided to make a movie out of -- it really lacked the grand scope of some of the other films.

Jeikobu mentioned The Undiscovered Country, and that's my favourite as well. I think it has the most complex plot, and doesn't depend on (as much) action to communicate itself. Plus, Christopher Plummer was a fabulous Klingon!

On the whole, of the NG movies, the only one I liked as much as the first six was First Contact, which I thought was superbly done. Generations wasn't bad, but I was rather underwhelmed by Insurrection.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:56 am

shooraijin wrote:Augh, Nemesis. I was very, very disappointed with that movie. It seemed like a bad rehash of Wrath of Khan. It seemed like a two part episode from the show that someone decided to make a movie out of -- it really lacked the grand scope of some of the other films.

Jeikobu mentioned The Undiscovered Country, and that's my favourite as well. I think it has the most complex plot, and doesn't depend on (as much) action to communicate itself. Plus, Christopher Plummer was a fabulous Klingon!

On the whole, of the NG movies, the only one I liked as much as the first six was First Contact, which I thought was superbly done. Generations wasn't bad, but I was rather underwhelmed by Insurrection.

So I wasn't the only one who thought that about Nemesis! It would have made a great episode, maybe even a three parter, but as a movie, it really didn't stand as well on it's own.

As I type this, I'm watching First Contact, which, other than Wrath of Khan, and Voyage Home, is one of my all time favorites!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:59 am

Yes, I quite liked First Contact. The Borg Queen was a little weird, but Alice Krige carried it very well, and James Cromwell had the right kind of crusty insouciance for his part. (I loved how he couldn't understand how much he was adored by the engineering staff!)

shooraijin

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:39 am

Favorite Quotes:

"SWEET JESUS!"
-Zepharam Cochrane (when he sees the Enterprise-E in the window during flight)

"So don't go critising my counceling technique!"
-Troi (While she is drunk in the first 1/2 of the movie)

-"The line must be drawn HERE! THIS FAR, NO FARTHER!" And IIII will make them PAY for what they've done!"
-Picard (In the ready room talking to Lily)

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:23 am

I'd say it's tied, or very close. Anime may be a whole genre, but it really only bloomed in the '90's, whereas Star Trek has about 30 years of fans on it.

Have any of you ever watched Trekkies?

The best lines come from DS9:

Quark: "They're going to kill me Odo!"
Odo: (Starts smiling)
Quark: " . . . what?"
Odo: "Nothing, just a thought."

Quark: "The Klingons are going to kill me? Well I'll just have to rely on my experience on a Firengi freighter."
Odo: "You were on a Firengi freighter? As what?"
Quark: "A cook. Don't act suprised, I was daily threatened with death. I still have my phaser."
(Quark pulls out a box, opens it, and pulls put a pice of paper)
Quark" 'Dear Quark, I used your phaser parts to fix the replicator, Rom.' I'LL KILL HIM!"
Odo: "With what?"
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:05 pm

I'm sorry, folks, but the correct answer to the question is Star Trek. By far. By way far. I'm not a Trekker/Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination, but you will find far more of them out there than us. Even look to cultural references: anime is fringe, Star Trek is mainstream. Far more people would recognize Spock, Kirk, or Scotty than Kenshin or Goku or (heaven forfend!) Pikachu.

I know there's an internal bias towards anime on this board, but really folks, the only place where anime fans might exceed Star Trek fans is in dogged devotion, given the relative difficulty in acquiring material, but otherwise the Star Trek fans have us beat. No contest.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:17 pm

I didnae vote Captain as I perfer both equally,although I think Enteprise
pretty much ruined the franchise. :shake:
I do think though that one of these days someone has to go out and make an anime version of Star Trek to counteract that terrible animated version from the 1970s!

*I still think that cheese line from Voyager is one of the best in all
of Trekdom*
mitsuki lover

Postby Rachel » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm going to have to go with Star Trek on this one.

First Contact was an awesome movie. I especially loved that part where the Borg Queen like lowered down from wherever.

And I really don't understand why so many people dislike Enterprise. I thought it was pretty good. Voyager, Next Generation, and of course the original were probably my faves though.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm assuming you guys are talking about the US, here.

In terms of numbers, Star Trek beats anime with a big stick, probably. Star Trek is more "mainstream", like someone before me said. Anime is still pretty new to the general public.

As far as which group is the most obsessive...they're probably about the same.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby That Dude » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:39 am

In the US Star Treck wins...Internationally I'd say anime...Cuz you've got most of Japan backing it. Though there are a lot of Japanese Trekkies...It's kinda interesting how you can find anime references in Star Treck and Star Treck references in anime...
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to General Entertainment