Doom Trailer

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:57 pm

Volt wrote:The Original Alone in the Dark was about a One-Eyed Pirate. Nothing about viruses and zombie dogs.

Actually, the original was about Carnby being hired to look for a piano with a secret drawer in a haunted mansion and discovering that he might be all that could stop a Lovecraftian being from escaping into the world. The sequel had One-Eyed Jack, the Bootlegging Pirate. Sorry - I had to point that out. ;)

Edit: What Yojimbo meant was the whole "Haunted Mansion" set up and the zombies and the spooky camera angles was borrowed from Alone in the Dark 1 by Resident Evil. Resident Evil is a AITD1 rip-off - that has always been my oppinion.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Sonic_13 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:26 pm

I dont like this.... the doom generation is fading. Doom 3 was great, but the older dooms are fading out. It is now a game passed around through word of mouth, and something like this movie could totally destroy anyones idea on doom. As a hard core doom 2 fan I'm really against this movie. I'm going to watch it, I'm not judgemental to the point where I won't give things a chance, but I'm pretty sure its going to be really lame.
Not trying to start a new suhssuhsuhsss sensation
I'm just talking 'bout my jejejeh generation!
Sonic_13

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:41 pm

Sonic_13 wrote:I dont like this.... the doom generation is fading. Doom 3 was great, but the older dooms are fading out. It is now a game passed around through word of mouth, and something like this movie could totally destroy anyones idea on doom. As a hard core doom 2 fan I'm really against this movie. I'm going to watch it, I'm not judgemental to the point where I won't give things a chance, but I'm pretty sure its going to be really lame.

So what are you getting at? Doom 3 pretty much fallowed the same formula of past Dooms and this is a bad thing? It's a good thing man it'll reach an even bigger audience.

Most people in America didn't even know what an RPG was till FFVII but it certainly didn't "tarnish" anyone's opinion on FF.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Sonic_13 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:28 pm

I'm saying this movie is taking everything scary and cool about doom away. doom involved demons, military bases, a lone marine, and lots of fast paced action.

the movie will include many marines getting slaughtered, aliens, biohazards and many other hollywood cliches. The people who watch this movie who have never played doom will probably develop a disinterest towards it.
Sonic_13

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:56 pm

I think all your complaints are pretty unfounded. All the demons we know from the Doom series will be there. Not ALL of them but we know from screens and videos that Imps, Pinkys, and Hellknights will and probably more. And I just read in an article in PC Gamer that The Baron will be in there too.

From reading that article I have even higher hopes for this movie. Let's face it the stories in Doom sucked. You can barely call it a story. There will be a UAC base on Mars, no aliens, demons, a marine team, and lots of fast paced action, I mean did you even watch the trailer? They can't just have one marine for two hours that's ridiculous it's a movie it has to go somewhere. I don't see why you're complaining about them trying to flesh it out a bit and not just make it a mindless late 80's action film, which is what it would be plotwise as is. If anything this will spark an even bigger interest in the Doom franchise.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

Yojimbo

Postby Sonic_13 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:13 pm

Yojimbo wrote:
From reading that article I have even higher hopes for this movie. Let's face it the stories in Doom sucked. You can barely call it a story.

And for this reason exactly doom should not be made into a movie. You can get zdoom, play custom made levels that tell their own cheesy stories. Thats what I loved about doom, you could basically make up your own storyline as you go along.

I really dont think this movie looks so good. Its looks to typical. Its like tomb raider, resident evil, or any other cool video game they've made into a movie. Maybe you'll like it, and that'd be great, I just can't vision this movie fitting my wants for what this movie should be.
Sonic_13

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:29 pm

Sonic_13 wrote:And for this reason exactly doom should not be made into a movie. You can get zdoom, play custom made levels that tell their own cheesy stories. Thats what I loved about doom, you could basically make up your own storyline as you go along.

I really dont think this movie looks so good. Its looks to typical. Its like tomb raider, resident evil, or any other cool video game they've made into a movie. Maybe you'll like it, and that'd be great, I just can't vision this movie fitting my wants for what this movie should be.

You seem awfully critical for something you haven't seen yet. And your reasons are still very unfounded and unreasonable. You can't see this movie fitting your wants for what it should be? Well of course it's not going to be the done the way you want it, you're not making it.:P

Yojimbo

Postby Sonic_13 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:23 pm

I'm not too critical for things I havent seen for the most part. I just think doom is probably one of the most video games ever, and I believe it was totally unneccessary to make such a flashy hollywood movie out of it.

To me this is degrading all the components that makes doom cool. Maybe it'll be a great movie, I just think they could of made an identical one not following the doom franchise.
Sonic_13

Postby Slater » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:03 pm

well, I figured that I'd gravedig this rather than make a new thread about it, but Doomworld.com got a sneak-peak at Doom recently and wrote a review about it. Normally, I wouldn't post a movie review from another site here, but I (and many others) have considered Doomworld to be the authority on anything Doom related... Sorry to any newdoom.comers in here.

So I thought this one meritted mention.

Note: There is a bit of strong language in this review, but if you're considering going to see the movie based on one of the most violent and gory game series in history, I don't think it'd be a problem. http://www.doomworld.com/php/topstory.php?id=2712
Slater

Postby Orange Kitten » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Because I'm nitpicky, Doom came out at the end of 1993 (Dec)

You can't have the Doom game story in the movie, because there would be no people dieing who we might possibly care about. You may say movies like Die Hard had just one guy tearing up the town...but even Die Hard had innocent people killed off, not just the bad guys.

I'm not expecting much out of this, but I'll still see it since I'm an original Doom player...otherwise I wouldn't even bother with it. Same reason I saw Resident Evil. It should still be fun, just not going to expect much.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:17 pm

Just saw it last night. And umm, I liked it. To much cussing, but I liked it it. The FPS scene was the coolest ever.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:35 am

The movie was by far the best videogame movie so far.:P Anyway it was actually an alright movie. It was gorey for sure, had lots of language, and had a really perverted dude. I thought the emotional parts would be cheesy for sure but they really didn't make me cringe at all like I thought I would. I mean I wasn't emotionally captivated or anything but hey at least I felt some sympathy there in the scenes with [spoiler]the people in the closet, the Kidd disobeying orders and being executed, and John and his sister when he was wounded[/spoiler]

But I actually laughed at some of the gorey parts but that's just how I am. Such as when in 1st person Reaper turned around and blew the old guy's head off and then shot that guy with the knife which then went into his head. Pretty much just me and my friend were the only people laughing then. We started doing some wooping when the scene first started.:lol: Deffinetly those four some minutes were the highlight of the movie.

Probably the worst line in the whole movie was when the Rock said "Semper Fi M'fer!" Ugghhh that one was bad. Anyway the story wasn't great but it was passable at least they explained how the "demons" came about in an understandable way. The characters were cliched a little but most of them were ok. The action was awesome of course not much to say there. And it's emotional parts weren't that cheese filled either which I didn't think would be possible. So overall the best videogame based movie so far and a pretty solid action/horror movie in it's own right.

Yojimbo

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:20 pm

I've only watched the trailer, so I'm not in the best position to comment, but I thought it looked like a typical modern action movie, despite the sci-fi premise and novel plot. ;) The rap music soundtrack, the gunfire, etcetera. I did like the FPS scenes and the part at the end with the chainsaw...nice touches in an otherwise cliched-looking movie.

But like I said, I haven't seen it.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:44 pm

[quote="Godly Paladin"]I've only watched the trailer, so I'm not in the best position to comment, but I thought it looked like a typical modern action movie, despite the sci-fi premise and novel plot. ]

Rap soundtrack? There wasn't a single rap in the whole movie. Heavy metal like the Nine Inch Nails song during the credits maybe but no rap. Most of the stuff was original too not licensed. I'm a little confused here you say you only saw the trailer but then you go on about the end of the movie?

Yojimbo

Postby Godly Paladin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:44 pm

Rap, heavy metal, whatever. I don't listen to either, so I guess I'm not to picky about clarification - it was in the trailer, whatever it was. As for 'at the end', I was referring to the end of the trailer where they show a big chainsaw in FPS mode against a creature. Gotta love that sound effect. ^_^
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:27 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Rap, heavy metal, whatever. I don't listen to either, so I guess I'm not to picky about clarification - it was in the trailer, whatever it was. As for 'at the end', I was referring to the end of the trailer where they show a big chainsaw in FPS mode against a creature. Gotta love that sound effect. ^_^

I'm not a big fan of hard rock like NIN but my cousin is so I know some things. But yeah I know the song you're talking about. Yeah that was a killer fight you should all of it, it's even better then. And that creature is a Pinky.

Yojimbo

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:34 pm

Pinky. :lol: Great name for a flesh-eating demon from hell! ;)
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Orange Kitten » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:11 pm

I liked it; but there was more story than I expected, and less action than I expected.

The main thing I was dissapointed with was the lack of creatures/demons. There were basically zombies, and 2 different types of creatures...

The FP sequence ws my favorite part of the movie, and wanted more...but I'm glad they didn't overdo it. My girlfriend thought it was the worst part of the movie, however...but she never played the game...

I wouldn't say this was the best video game adaptation...I thought Resident Evil was more on top of things..especially the sequal, which surpassed the first, imo.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:47 pm

*bumps topic cause I just watched it as a new rental and didn't want to make a new topic*

Honestly, it was one of the sicker movies I've seen >_< Just... I dunno some of the creepy elements and how it was sickening what the crazed "things" did when they chowed down on bodies and stuff >_<

...one thing I did find funny was what a 24th chromosome pair did in this movie :/ If it was in real life, the results would be verrrrry different :/

Actually the movie kinda reminded me of a live action Elfen Lied a little bit.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Was this in theatres? If so, I missed it.

Maybe if we`re lucky the Rock will play MasterCheif. XP
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Was this in theatres? If so, I missed it.

Maybe if we`re lucky the Rock will play MasterCheif. XP

It's a new release DVD, and he does play that part :/ It WAS in theatres a couple months ago though.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Master Chief = Halo... Serge = Doom... Having the same actor in the lead in two movies this similar would not be good...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:20 pm

I was kidding.

I was just joking about how there is hype over a Halo movie and how the rock played a part you wouldn`t expect him to.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:30 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:I was kidding.

I was just joking about how there is hype over a Halo movie and how the rock played a part you wouldn`t expect him to.

A big burly foul mouthed killer is a pretty expected role to me.:P I'm picking Vin Diesel for Halo. If you read the review of the script on Latinoreview.com and from the books the Master Chief is a big burly albino. Whoever plays him has to be ginormous and cut like no other or it won't fit. Yeah granted alot of people other than Vin Diesel could play him if they got to that point but I'm just picking Vin.

Yojimbo

Previous

Return to General Entertainment