Doom Trailer

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Doom Trailer

Postby Slater » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:36 pm

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2080

... I feel... unhappy with how they seem to be handling it...
Slater

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:40 pm

*yawns*

[size=-2](an honest oppinion oppenly expressed)[/size]
bigsleepj

Postby Locke » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:44 pm

That's....it? No shots of a BFG?

I'll watch the movie just for a BFG....
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:55 pm

dude! If they have the whole "first person view" on parts of the movie, that will be SOOOO rad!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Slater » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:00 am

I'm pretty sure the BFG is the big blue thing that is fired.
Slater

Postby Locke » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:16 am

That pea shooter?

Edit: in the teaser you can see a split second scene where its first person and the gun is visibel.

This might be a decent movie after all.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Scribs » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:55 pm

I have doubts as to whether a movie based on a 1st person shooter is going to be worth watching...
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby shooraijin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:07 pm

No, the "big blue thing" is probably the plasma gun. I didn't see any cyberdemons or spider masterminds, either, but you can bet there will be some.

I can't see this movie being great cinema, but I did notice that the lab is called "Carmack's Lab." ^_^ And the 1st person perspective is creative, although I imagine the novelty would wear quickly. Imagine it in IMAX, though.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:32 pm

I might see this just for some fun.

Never liked Doom though.
Hitokiri

Postby Maledicte » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:33 pm

Scribs wrote:I have doubts as to whether a movie based on a 1st person shooter is going to be worth watching...

My thoughts exactly.
Maledicte

Postby Yojimbo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:55 pm

It probably won't win any Oscars, but it's not trying to. It'll probably be a fun movie and I love Doom so I'll be seeing it. I gotta see that Pinky get wasted with the chainsaw in first person.:P
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:58 am

Isn't the BFG Quake? Just because it's Doom, I'll see it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:17 am

No, the BFG was originally in DOOM.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Slater » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:16 pm

There were a couple models of the BFG. The first one was kinda like a Plasma Super Shotgun, firing out 40 small plasma balls at random angles. It is really kewl, but it wasn't included in the orriginal Doom games because processors back then weren't so good that they could handle 40 sprites being generated so quickly or something like that. That version of the BFG is now available on many source ports of doom (check http://www.doomworld.com to find which ones support the classic BFG)

The BFG 9000 is the one that was in the orriginal Dooms. It fired a big green ball that would do very high damage to anything it hit. Then, roughly half a second after the ball explodes, the "final fusion reaction," as it's called in Doom3, occurs, which sends out 40 invisible rays out of the player in a cone-shaped area. These rays would do damage to anything they hit, and a target could be hit by multiple rays if it were close enough. It's more complicated than this, and you can read more into it on different Doom sites.

Of note is that the BFG 9000 has no splash damage, even in Doom3. You can fire it so it detonates 2 inches from you and you won't be harmed. There is (I think) splash damage for enemies (the BFG instructional video says 15 meter radius), but it's hard to distinguish from the 40 rays that are fired out of the player

Finally, the BFG in Doom3 has one major new addition to the DoomII bfg. It "softens" its targets before impact by hitting them with a stream of radiation. When fighting Sabaoth (mutated Sarge), you'll notice this when he fires the bfg at you... you'll take damage at a rate of 2hp/sec. and can see the green line being drawn between you and the ball. Oh, and BFG balls in Doom3 can be destroyed by shooting its core, something that can be done in DoomII with the aid of a dehacked file (make BFG shots shootable and give them a death sequence and hp greater than 0).

So ja, I am not sure that the blue thing in that movie is a BFG but it sure doesn't look like a plasma rifle shot... Plasma rifles are fast, and their projectiles are smaller than that. That was probably a new weapon (there will be new weapons... check out "The Kid's" dual SMGs. Those weren't in Doom).

Doubtful that we'll see any Spider Mastermind in the movie. This movie's goal is to reproduce Doom3 as much as possible, and the only spiders in the game were the trites and ticks, both very small enemies which attacked in swarms. The Cyberdemon, however, will probably be in there, since he was in D3.
Slater

Postby glitch1501 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:43 pm

i found the trailer intriguing, i will definatly see this, the first person view looks cool

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:20 am

T_T what is this BFG you speak of? I do not understand the Fast paced demon-hunter type shooters! *Hugs counter-strike*
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:02 am

At least in Quake BFG means "Big 'Friggin' Gun." Cool. I didn't know it was in Doom first. I got play those games.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:30 pm

[b]My trade
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Myoti » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:10 pm

Eh, think I'll go for the Metroid and Halo movies...
Myoti

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Bash away Volt. I don't give a crap. :D

Here's a thought: How about no one asumes anything, and just watches the silly movie.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:07 pm

But then
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:17 pm

XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Slater » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:50 pm

It'd be a better movie if it followed the D3 storyline of having ONE marine who's already stuck on the base have to fight his way out.
Slater

Postby skynes » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:58 am

Hollywood has a very sickening habit of twisting storylines of games... Then they wonder why they suck and why ppl hated it, so the next time, they change the storyline EVEN more... and ppl hate it more...

I've seen a few trailers for this. So far I've seen:

An Imp
A Hogger/Pinky/Bull-demon/whatever u call
Baron of Hell

I would really like to see a Cyberdemon... I just hope they call it Cyberdemon and not 'Steam demon' as I've heard... Steam demon..... oh please...

I'm going to see this, and hope that it's more like DOOM than Resi. that they actually have demons and not mutants in it... that wud just suck.
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Fsiphskilm » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:28 am

Couldn'
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Kinkosami » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:05 pm

skynes wrote:Hollywood has a very sickening habit of twisting storylines of games... Then they wonder why they suck and why ppl hated it, so the next time, they change the storyline EVEN more... and ppl hate it more...

[color=Navy]Lol, so true. :p

I'm really not expecting this movie to be good. But I'll see it because I like DOOM, and my brothers are obsessed with it. I have a feeling it's going to be really bad, and try to keep us entertained with flashy special effects and lots of blood. And I have to say, those kind of movies don't hold my attention for very long... The first person shooter view looks kinda interesting]
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Wouldn't id have a say in this?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Volt wrote:My trademark Bashing Comment Below

It's going to Suck, And Knowing this i'm still going to go see it.

- The plot is exactly the same as Resident Evil's
- How far will do they plan on getting by filming in 1st person mode?

- Resident Evil Movie
A secret/military research facility, something goes wrong, everyone dies, a team is sent in to find out what happens, all hell breaks loose, and they have to get out.

-Doom Movie
A secret/military research facility, something goes wrong, everyone dies, a team is sent in to find out what happens, all hell breaks loose, and they have to get out.

I can't say who came up with the idea first, but the Plot isn't very exhiting. The Only thing that makes this movie unique and intrigueing is the 1st person Camera. (And we all know they're going to over do it)

Why don't you stop praising movies before you see them? Hasn't hollywood dissapionted you enough? Expect the Worst. If I'm wrong, I'll log onto CAA, and post my apology and say how Awesome the movie was.

The original Doom came out in 1992, Resident Evil in 1996. If anything the movie Resident Evil borrowed that from Doom. Regardless it's not like that story was original anyway that's been overused more times than one can count.

Actually Resident Evil was a huge rip off of Alone in the Dark on PC. Which also came out in 92 and was the first survival horror game. The overhead camera angle, 3-d characters on static backgrounds, similar puzzles, zombies, etc. The original Resident Evil shouldn't didn't get credit for anything really new, just doing things better.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

Yojimbo

Postby Yojimbo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:51 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Wouldn't id have a say in this?

Of course they do. You can be assured they've been there making sure everything fits every step of the way. It could still suck in every other aspect but it's going to be faithful to the game.

Yojimbo

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:49 pm

The Ori
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Next

Return to General Entertainment