Most overated movie ever...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:06 am

I add my voice to the few who have mentioned the Matrix. No, it's not a bad movie, but it is undeserving of the franchice worship that it has developed. The story is basically the same as many other "computers take over the world" stories that have come about over the years, with fancier FX plugged in.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Nate » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:12 am

Ronin of Kirai wrote:Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Agreed. I found Holy Grail inferior to Life of Brian.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:34 am

Orange Kitten wrote:War of the Worlds

are not overrated, they just sucked. Critics ripped these movies apart. Unless you have friends that rave about these movies, I don't know how someone can think of these as being overrated.

Actually the critic in my local newspaper gave it 5 stars and a awesome write up...but then again he hated the special effects in LOTR and said they sucked, hated the Passion in which he aid should be thrown in a vault never to be seen again, and loved (and gave 5 stars) to movies like The 40-Year Old Virgin. He also routinely attacks Christianity. But at least he gave War of the Worlds a good write up :lol:
Hitokiri

Postby Scribs » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:54 pm

The exorcist.

That was one of the most boring pointless movies I have had the misfortune of seeing.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Qwilek88 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:57 pm

Titanic
Qwilek88

Postby Myoti » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Agreed. I found Holy Grail inferior to Life of Brian.

But less sacrilegious, or so I've heard, anyways...
Myoti

Postby Zane » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:30 pm

Thats true.

But i disagree; Holy Grail is funnier and more enjoyable. Life of Brain is good but when i first saw it i was expecting something much better, so I guess i found that one slightly overrated.
Zane

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:22 am

Original Star Wars trilogy
Jaws
The Last Samurai
Gone With The Wind
Seven Samurai

Actually, I like all of those movies, and don't think any of them are overrated. Just trying to prove the point that if a movie is popular or considered good, it will be considered overrated.
Joshua Christopher

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:29 am

Impact Alberto wrote:Actually, I like all of those movies, and don't think any of them are overrated. Just trying to prove the point that if a movie is popular or considered good, it will be considered overrated.

Good point!! :grin:
bigsleepj

Postby cbwing0 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:30 am

Overrated movies, eh?

1.The Ring-It was good as far as horror movies go, but it wasn't terrifying. How does a little dead girl kill you anyway? At least Freddy and Jason actually look formidable. Even Chucky has the decency to kill in broad daylight, but the Ring girl is just a disappointment :eyeroll: .

2.Kung Fu Hustle-A cool movie, but not hilarious. The movie started well, but the premise got old really quickly.

As for the others mentioned in this thread...

1.Monty Python and the Holy Grail-No. You're wrong.

2.Napoleon Dynamite-Overrated by its fans, but underrated by those that can't relate. If only the rest of the movie had been as good as the first 5 minutes it would have been great.
cbwing0

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:01 am

I most definitely agree on the Titantic front.

I also think the Aviator was a little on the overated side. Maybe I've been spoiled by all the other biopic's out there (Ray, Finding Neverland-) but after reading all the estatic reviews, I went into the Aviator with high expectations. But I found that I was never moved by the film at any point, sure, the direction was great, and I guess Howard Hughes was an interesting guy. But overall it was a very strange downer, and I definitely did not enjoy it. Whereas Ray had the advantage of a sweet soundtrack, and Finding Neverland had cute british kids and some amazing visuals.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Lochaber Axe » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:06 pm

I think there needs to be a screenwriter, producer, and director to work on a movie that will actually sink the Titanic.

Kung Fu Hustle may not have been hilarious, however it does meet what critics call it, "Think Kill Bill meets Looney Tunes", and was a very good Kung Fu movie parody. Also, was every joke in Looney Tunes ROFL level quality?
Lochaber Axe

Postby Maledicte » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:53 pm

Catch Me If You Can was a bit overrated as well...however I enjoyed it nevertheless. Making me actually respect DiCaprio.
Oh! And I forgot Road to Perdition. The comic book didn't have much dialogue but at least it MOVED. The movie however had the advantage of dialogue and Jude Law's creepy character. But neither book nor movie I believe was that good.
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:36 pm

I liked "The Aviator" a lot. Its one of my favourite movies from 2004 - but its highly flawed as well.

I also liked "Road to Perdition" which has a great slow pace and great visuals. Also flawed though.

One movie that SHOULD have been better was Sergio Leone's "Once upon a Time in the West" I loved his "Fistful of Dollars" trilogy but "OUATITW" is considered to be his best western. Unfortunately its not the case. I have nothing against slow paced or long movies, but the movie's plot cant support a 165 minute movie. In the end the movie feels stretched out and quite frankly contrived. Leone builds up to the gun battle between Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson which is the climax of the movie. The gun battle, contained within itself, without the two hours going before it, is handled masterfully and is well constructed visually, but it feels tacky when seen in the movie itself. This is what makes this movie so infuriating! It is ALMOST the masterpiece people claim it is - but it falls short in the last chapters into a mess. There are many scenes contained within themselves that are obviously the work of a film genius - but a movie that is almost a masterpiece is worse than a movie that is average or just bad.
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:54 pm

bigsleepj wrote:One movie that SHOULD have been better was Sergio Leone's "Once upon a Time in the West" I loved his "Fistful of Dollars" trilogy but "OUATITW" is considered to be his best western. Unfortunately its not the case. I have nothing against slow paced or long movies, but the movie's plot cant support a 165 minute movie. In the end the movie feels stretched out and quite frankly contrived. Leone builds up to the gun battle between Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson which is the climax of the movie. The gun battle, contained within itself, without the two hours going before it, is handled masterfully and is well constructed visually, but it feels tacky when seen in the movie itself. This is what makes this movie so infuriating! It is ALMOST the masterpiece people claim it is - but it falls short in the last chapters into a mess. There are many scenes contained within themselves that are obviously the work of a film genius - but a movie that is almost a masterpiece is worse than a movie that is average or just bad.

I completely agree with you on that one. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy long movies...but yes, this one had so thin a plot that I fell asleep a few times. I don't even remember that harmonica tune. Fonda, for all of the hype, didn't seem that evil to me. But the half-Indian guy was cool.

However, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly rocks my socks off. :thumb:
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:09 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:However, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly rocks my socks off. :thumb:

Yeah - I just watched it again today! EXCELLENT movie. A bit nasty though. ;)
bigsleepj

Postby Yokuo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:20 am

*hasn't watched at least half of these movies*
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:24 am

Yokuo wrote:*hasn't watched at least half of these movies*

Better get down to the nearest video store, then. :thumb:
bigsleepj

Postby Yokuo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:45 am

Yeah, I think so!
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Yokuo

Postby Maledicte » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:24 pm

[quote="bigsleepj"]Yeah - I just watched it again today! EXCELLENT movie. A bit nasty though. ]

Has to have the best ending quote ever.

[SPOILER] "Blondie! You son of a--"
AaAAaaAAah....[/SPOILER]
Great theme music too. I want that for my phone.
Maledicte

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:28 pm

..... Lord Of the Rings

I loved it... but it gets way to much credit in my opinion
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:28 pm

The Color Purple.
Only reason why it's so hyped is because it helped to launch the careers of
Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah.
mitsuki lover

Postby agasfas » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:28 pm

The Goonies.

Everyone is so obsessed with that movie. Pesonally, it's okay, average at best. Plus that annoying one liner.... :shady:
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Crossdive » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:22 am

most overrated movie? Titanic, it was a basic good, nothing to right home about, and they made it into the king of the world or something, it earned 1st place in the US Box Office with over a BILLION dollars!! That's just ridiculous, every time a good movie comes out, I always hope that it will be an emmense hit and will knock it out of first place, so far though, no luck...

agreed, the Goonies sucked IMO, I don't understand why it gets the fame it does.
Jesus is Lord.
Crossdive

Location: Where would you live if you were me? But seriously, Colorado. (Someday, I'll be in Nihon!)

Postby kazekami » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:28 am

I hjave to say Forrest Gump. when it came out just about everyone loved it. I thought it was somewhat immoral.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Crossdive » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:30 am

never seen it, don't care to, it did seem to be very overrated, and it just doesn't interest me as is...
Jesus is Lord.
Crossdive

Location: Where would you live if you were me? But seriously, Colorado. (Someday, I'll be in Nihon!)

Postby Scribs » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:32 am

Kung pow, enter the fist.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Crossdive » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:37 am

that movie just looked entirely ridiculous to me, I presume it is a parody martial arts film, which means I probably won't appreciate it as is, seen as I like Bruce Lee films and all, and I can be rather sensitive to the way oriental people or things are potrayed.
Jesus is Lord.
Crossdive

Postby Yokuo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 pm

It IS a parody of old japanese films, with the bad lip-synching and whatnot. I saw part of it, and found it somewhat humerous. But yes, most overrated.

Yokuo

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:35 pm

Scribs wrote:Kung pow, enter the fist.

I find it odd that you see that as overrated. Every review I've read of the movie trashed it, and I have found very few people who enjoy it. Thus, I don't quite see the basis for it being overrated (unless everyone you've met who's seen it thinks it's great, which is possible, just not the case for me).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment