Chinese fighting!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Chinese fighting!

Postby Puguni » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:43 am

I always enjoy watching Chinese movies with the surrealistic fighting. I was watching one of those movies at a friend's party. [It was Kung Fu Hustle, it was silly, but not really violent beyond that.] All the asian people really liked the movie, probably for the cool fighting. My other friend, who caucasian, said it was OK in a totally uninterested way. I'm not trying to be racist, but I figured there is an analogy. I guess asian people appreciate Chinese fighting movies, much like the white man appreciates a good car chase and gun fighting.

So, I dunno, prove me wrong. I'm sure there are people who like Chinese fighting and car chases and other stuff.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:46 am

Me being asian is not very sure. I guess that could be true, but I'm not sure. I do enjoy the fighting and stuff like that. Hmm, car chases are very exciting. I always end up telling them to hurry up and catch whoever. It's a bit embarrassing, but fun!
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:46 pm

That's difficult for me to discern. I enjoy well-coreographed sequences, and those that are Chinese-made are no worse than others. Overall I guess I associate Chinese fighting with a more flowing martial art style, and that is a neutral aspect for me.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:01 am

Considering that this is produced by Stephen Chow Sing Chi, 'King of Comedy' of Hong Kong, Taiwan and South East Asian countries, I think the different reactions to this movie has more to do with the type of humor rather than the style of fighting.

I love Chow Sing Chi's comedic movies. They always make me double up in laughter (think ROTFL). But at the same time, I sincerely do not expect my American friends to get the same kick out of it (pun intended). My Asian friends, with the exception of a few American friend who are enthusiatic to HK movies, almost always have lotsa fun with his movies. Seems fair to me, since there are times I do not get the humor of some comedic American movies while my American friends are laughing themselves over.

I haven't watched Kungfu Hustle yet but it looks like its ultimate purpose is to mock the Matrix and all the cool fight moves made popular by Hollywood lately. Is that true? hehehe oh well, I just know that it doesn't really matter what type of fighting this movie has. I'm mostly going in for the humor. X33

I'm going on a tangent here but if you want to watch more silly yet great movies by Chow Sing Chi, feel free to check out the following:

God of Gamblers, Royal Tramp, Forbidden City Cop and Justice, my Foot!
Mave

Postby Puguni » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:19 am

There are some Matrix sequences; I don't know about the 'cool fight moves.' Some slapstick. But it was funny. :D
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:27 pm

Haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle but I've wanted to, actually I'll probably go rent it tomorrow now that this has reminded me.

But Hong Kong cinema movies like Hard Boiled and The Killer were both very gun heavy with some chases thrown in so it's mutually exclusive.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Return to General Entertainment