Most overated movie ever...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:09 pm

Actually, I hated Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it. By the second viewing, I thought (and still think) that it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:31 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Guys, tell me how movies based on a 1000+ page novel are supposed to be short?

By removing the filler.
Really, I would have enjoyed the movies and the books more if there was some more of something called "characterization and development"...and "dialogue" and not monologue. But the atmosphere is very good I'll admit.
Maledicte

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:20 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:Guys, tell me how movies based on a 1000+ page novel are supposed to be short?

I seriously fell lover laughing. So true, so true. And people were complaining that the movie didn't follow the book. If it did, the movie would be 4 hours plus!

Another highly over-rated movie is iRobots. Pirates of the Caribean is highly over-rated but still good. It's just the teenage girls who think Orlando and Johnny are so freakin hawt!!!!111
Hitokiri

Postby Yokuo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:47 am

I enjoyed PotC alot, but the re-watch value was semi-low. (On a side note, PotC will be in Kingdom Hearts 2 XD)

PotC - Pirates of the Carribean
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Wow... I haven't been on here in like 2 years o_O

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
My rose is silver, instead of red!
Yokuo

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:40 pm

I actually thought The Lord of the Rings was, on the whole, very much worth the hype. It's just the hype itself that everyone got sick of.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Tommy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:54 pm

My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Napoleon Dynamite was in theatres and there were commericals. It didn`t makem oney until it`s davd/vhs release. Oh, and i second Myoti. WATCH IT WITH GROUPS first!
Tommy

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Pretty much any movie ever made. :lol: Joking...kind of.

Lawrence of Arabia is a stand-out.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby Yokuo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:03 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Pretty much any movie ever made. :lol: Joking...kind of.

:lol:
If you ever need someone to talk to, or to pray for you, or to disciple you, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Yokuo

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:27 pm

A few that come to mind (in no particular order):

-Titanic (it was good but not nearly as good as they made it out to be)
-Akira
-End of Evangelion
-The Matrix
-Finding Nemo
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Gypsy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:47 am

I thought Message in a Bottle wasn't all I thought it would be. Everyone told me to watch it with tissues. Good thing, too. If I hadn't had the tissues, how would I have done oragami during the slow parts? I might have died of unimpressedness. o.O
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:57 pm

Now that I think sbout it, War of the Worlds was pretty over rated...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yokuo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:08 pm

I just read that book, it wasn't bad.

Yokuo

Postby Maledicte » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:37 pm

Book was better. At least it didn't have the whining 10-year-old.
Maledicte

Postby Yokuo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 pm

:shady: ...whining 10 year old? Oh, boy...

Yokuo

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:07 pm

Hm...Dakota Fanning was brilliant (as always) in it.

::sticks out tougne::
Hitokiri

Postby Sonic_13 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:57 pm

yeah she sure was! *sarcasm*
Not trying to start a new suhssuhsuhsss sensation
I'm just talking 'bout my jejejeh generation!
Sonic_13

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:03 am

Aw, c'mon guys! I thought Dakota Fanning did an excellent job of portraying a fearful (ha, traumatized!) child in that movie...The movie in and of itself was highly overrated, but she's a very good actress for her age. And to add to the overrated movie topic, The Back to the Future trilogy. The first one was good, but the rest were only so-so.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kiba-kun » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:10 am

Amityvile Horror i coudnt wait to see it but when i did i thought "this is just stupid" the book made a lot more sense
FKA Mythmaster

Why must we be abandoned in times of need?
Do others not see when we yearn for their touch;
An insatiable hunger only they can feed.
Left alone with out their words – fallen into darkness.
Stumbling blindly without their light,
We fall and scream, knowing we've faced too much,
Knowing the only answer is flight.
Flight from the lives we once faced
And the joys and terrors others have brought.
Our time with them, a time of joy and life,
Wonder we all, was it for naught?
Kiba-kun

Postby Crossdive » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

E.T.
Matrix trilogy
Blade trilogy
Hellboy
Harry Potter trilogy
to sum it up, mostly the spiritual unclean ones... some of the old Disney ones seem to get to much credit too, like Marry Poppins.
Jesus is Lord.
Crossdive

Location: Where would you live if you were me? But seriously, Colorado. (Someday, I'll be in Nihon!)

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Crossdive wrote:Hellboy

How is Hellboy overrated? Every critic I saw slammed it. I'd call this one underrated, if anything.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Maledicte » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:11 pm

The only problem I had with Hellboy was that it was a little too low key, which was interesting for a comic book based movie. However I watched it again, and enjoyed it more than the first time.
Maledicte

Postby Lehn » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:37 pm

Every single Disney movie since Mulan tops my list.

And I like Dakota --- watch Hide and Seek, she's a cute, yet creepy little kid who's going to be a great actress when she grows up.
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:37 pm

I think some people don't know what the word 'overrated' means.

These movies:
Message in a Bottle
I Robot
War of the Worlds
Blade Trilogy

are not overrated, they just sucked. Critics ripped these movies apart. Unless you have friends that rave about these movies, I don't know how someone can think of these as being overrated.

I Robot for example, was hyped up BEFORE the movie hit the theaters. That's what MARKETING is for, to get as many people wanting to see it as possible. But once it debuted, you never hear of that movie again, execpt from your friends of how bad it was.

I hate when actors' names hype up movies. "Ooh, its Johnny Depp! This is going to be AWESOME!" Plenty of movies are hyped up and loved by fans simply on the fact of the actor.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:41 pm

Well, you don't have to have critics to overate a movie. Let's say someone comes along and says "Three Fat Females" is good and you watch it and you're underwhelmed by how lame it is - that's overated to a degree as well. :D It does not have to be the darling of the critics to be overated.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:54 pm

Agreed

So where are the mass crowds screaming over Blade Trinity? hehe

I just haven't heard any rave from these movies after they are released, from friends, word of mouth, critics, or anything. That's why I posted that earlier.

Now, as people mentioned, LOTR, Star Wars, those are overrated movies.

I gotta say though, in defense of one of my favorite movies, I loved 2001: Space Odyssey.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Todeskreuz » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:03 pm

Napolean Dynamite is the king of the overrated films.... I couldn't watch it the first time cuz it was so stupid, couldn't watch it past 1/4 the way the second try, and the the 3rd I gave up half way....

when I was younger titanic was an awesome movie...now I agree it is overrated.... watched it a ton then...now I can't bring myself to watch it
"I cried out with no reply and I can't feel you by my side so I hold tight to what I know...your here...and I'm never alone"

"In the moon want to sleep want to sleep with the silence you heal me again, through the long and trying day you save me...in the moon I’m just veiled in the silver shining"

"Forever Love, Forever Dream, I can't walk any further, Oh tell me why, Oh tell me true, Teach me the meaning of life"

"Never change... that's what a fool would say in his dreams at the moment when you're facing the end of everything"

Adopted by: LeaChan-4ever

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...
Todeskreuz

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:20 pm

Aw, there are a lot of good movies on this thread...I do agree about Napoleon, though. I LOVE that movie, of course, but I can't stand how all the people who knew nothing about it at first are now all out in droves saying, "OMGZ, NAPOLEON IZ TEH B3ST MOV13 EV3RRRR!!1111one!!" That was really annoying...

I actually thought The Lord of the Rings was, on the whole, very much worth the hype. It's just the hype itself that everyone got sick of.

These two actually make sense. We're here to talk about overrated movies, some of which may actually suck.

And I did watch napoleon dynamite with a group! I just didnt find it very funny. Dont think I'm a solid person who never laughs, its usually quite opposite. I will admit I laughed when the audience burst into applause at the end of the movie But none the less this movie was horribly overrated!

I really suggest you watch one more time, again with a group. If you still don't like it, read the following:

Actually, I hated Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it. By the second viewing, I thought (and still think) that it is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Evidence of the truth that is Napoleon Dynamite. I know of many people who it had the same effect on.
Overrated? Possibly.
Horrible? Absolutely not. If you didn't like it, it simply means you have a different sense of humor and/or the movie was ruined by friend constantly spouting out every single line.
(Heh, it's funny though. My family was some of the first to see it in theaters, so we knew all about it long before the hype started.)

Napoleon Dynamite was in theatres and there were commericals. It didn`t makem oney until it`s davd/vhs release. Oh, and i second Myoti. WATCH IT WITH GROUPS first!

GASP! We agree on something? (jk :lol: )
But yes, that seems to be pretty true.

E.T.
Matrix trilogy
Blade trilogy
Hellboy
Harry Potter trilogy
to sum it up, mostly the spiritual unclean ones... some of the old Disney ones seem to get to much credit too, like Marry Poppins.

"Spiritually unclean"? I can understand some of those, but what's wrong with Harry Potter (besides fantasy magic-use).

I think some people don't know what the word 'overrated' means.

These movies:
Message in a Bottle
I Robot
War of the Worlds
Blade Trilogy

are not overrated, they just sucked. Critics ripped these movies apart. Unless you have friends that rave about these movies, I don't know how someone can think of these as being overrated.

Even it was claimed to have "sucked", I, personally, liked iRobot, though yes, I agree that few here seem to truly grasp the difference in "overrated" and "sucky".
Myoti

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:35 pm

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Solid Ronin

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:52 pm

I do have to say, I feel the same about Napoleon that I do about Pokémon... It was a lot more fun when I was the only one around who knew about it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Zane » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 am

I can see how Monty Phyton's Holy Grail can be seen as over-rated because it is a cult thing, so ppl will shamelessly quote (myself included) it because its has great quote-ability..... ("We want..... ANOTHER SCRUBBERY!!!"), but that doesn't mean it sucks... (although once again I can see why ppl hate the ending :) it great watching ppl who've never seen it watch that bit)

Hellboy was by no-means over-rated here in Australia, totally under-rated in my pov. (the dark horse in the comicbook movies race... excuse the pun)

Orange Kitten wrote:These movies:
Message in a Bottle
I Robot
War of the Worlds
Blade Trilogy

are not overrated, they just sucked.

Nice. :thumb:

I think Lost in Translation was over-rated, but it was okay.
Zane

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment