Most overated movie ever...

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Most overated movie ever...

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:55 am

There are some movies, old or new, that are so good that when you see them you wish you had seen it sooner. Then there are movies that everyone recommends and when you see it you're underwhelmed by how overated it is.

So I'd like to know: What's the most overated movie you've seen?

• The Shining (1980) by Stanley Kubrick starring Jack Nicholson. It felt overlong (even though they trimmed the novel considerably) and ended up just being a proto-slasher film. When I read the book afterwards I wondered how they could not have made a good movie out of it.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:01 am

2001: A Space Odyssey (1969?) by Stanley Kubrick based on a book by Arthur Clarke. Not only did it have next to no dialogue, a pro-evolution theme and a high-pitched annoying hum for the first half of the movie, it was boring and impossible to understand too. I don't think its the greatest sci-fi movie ever. Not at all. I hated this movie. The only good part was the interaction between Dave and HAL.
(I wasn't around when the effects would have been groundbreaking and haven't read the book so maybe that would have helped a little - who knows?)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:04 am

I hated 2001 as well but I liked its use of no dialogue though.
bigsleepj

Postby Arnobius » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:55 am

Mission Impossible, Batman (the first movie), Akira and Gundam Wing are all things I found rather overrated compared to the hype over them.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:44 am

A Beautiful Mind. Okay, yeah, it was good movie. Unfortunately, eveyone I knew had made such a big deal about the "shocker ending," that when I finally got to it, I was left saying "What the-- that was it!?"

Yeah, overall, I was disappointed.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:16 am

IMO, Titanic is the most overrated movie of all time. It's not that it's a BAD movie. It's just not AMAZING like so many people say.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:40 am

Napoleon Dynamite
Hitokiri

Postby creed4 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:44 am

Just about any movie by stanly Kubrick. I've never cared for his movies too surreal.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:45 am

Hitokiri wrote:Napoleon Dynamite

You best hope my little sister doesn't read that.

Titanic. 'Nuff said.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:03 am

No seriously, Napoleon is VERRRRRRY overrated! Watched it once and didn't catch most of the jokes and even after that I couldn't understand how people like months and months after the video/DVD debut, still obssessed over it. Thought the fad was already out months ago but apparently not! It's alright, but not the funniest movie of all time.

Akira was also very overrated. Watched it just to see what the hype was about and I raised an eyebrow thinking "That's the outstanding movie people talked about??"

Titanic WAS overrated, but I'm still one of those few surviving fans that will actually admit that it was a good movie^^ Dunno why but I liked it!

Finding Nemo was also VERY overrated. Watched it once "Ha, cute movie!" and only did see it one and a half times but since everyone talked about it and quoted it so much, felt like I was already sick of watchign it! @_@
Tenshi no Ai

Postby GeoChansey » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:08 am

Hitokiri wrote:Napoleon Dynamite

That's a nail hit on it's proverbial head right there.
GeoChansey

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:18 am

Tenshi no Ai wrote:Titanic WAS overrated, but I'm still one of those few surviving fans that will actually admit that it was a good movie^^ Dunno why but I liked it!

Finding Nemo was also VERY overrated. Watched it once "Ha, cute movie!" and only did see it one and a half times but since everyone talked about it and quoted it so much, felt like I was already sick of watchign it! @_@

Ugh, YES. Finding Nemo was JUST OKAY. Monsters Inc and Toy Story were both way better. Finding Nemo wasn't really clever or funny at all. What's so funny about some stupid fish saying "Just keep swimming" all the time? @_@ </minirant>

Yeah, I liked Titanic too but it just isn't worth that much hype XD;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:53 am

Lord of The Rings (all of them).

Finding Nemo.

James Bond movies that don't have mr. Sean Connery.

You Got Served. (Yeah, I know it got like 4 stars and all, but it wasn't quite the masterpiece everyone thinks.)
Joshua Christopher

Postby sen_no_kotoba01 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:09 am

Napolian Dynamite, for sure. I saw no commercials for it. How the heck did it mangage to become so incredibly famous?! I can remember wanting to see a movie once, and I looked in the paper and was like "'Napolian Dynamite'? I haven't seen any commercials..." and I never did. and I haven't yet. the only thing I've seen "Napolian Dynamite" on the TV or magazines was when the show "Robot Chicken" made fun of that movie (it was a very funny joke, BTW), and when I saw some article about it in the newspaper. yeah, also, like that one person said, Titanic. The only reason it became famous was because of DiCaprio. I was never a fan of him.... I thought "Titanic" was the longest, boringest movie I ever saw besides more recently "Seabiscut" which was also overrated.
sen_no_kotoba01

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:00 pm

Akira...WAY overhyped. Sure, I bet it was amazing WAY back in the day, but now...it's just not that great.

And Napolean Dynamite was SO horrible, it's hard to believe.
Ichigo_89

Postby Steeltemplar » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:17 pm

Impact Alberto wrote:Lord of The Rings (all of them).

Finding Nemo.

James Bond movies that don't have mr. Sean Connery.

You Got Served. (Yeah, I know it got like 4 stars and all, but it wasn't quite the masterpiece everyone thinks.)

I agree on the Lord of the Rings there.

Honestly, I have to put in my two bits on Akira - I think it deserves its fame. Even when I watched it again recently, I loved it. Also, you have to look at it in terms of what it meant for anime afterwards. How much of anime do you think was influenced by Akira?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:48 pm

The Shrek movies. Man, did I hate those.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Sonic_13 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:10 pm

yeah napoleon dynamite stunk.

but the most overrated was definitely titanic. BOOOO titantic! BOOO!
Not trying to start a new suhssuhsuhsss sensation
I'm just talking 'bout my jejejeh generation!
Sonic_13

Postby Myoti » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:17 pm

Alright, just about everyone here needs to STOP IT.

This topic is about things that are overrated. I've seen some of you talk about how a movie maybe be good, but overrated, which is what I mostly expect to see. However, many people still like some of these movies alot of you claim to be "horrible". Just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean it was badly made.

Oh, and another note: to any of you who claim Napoleon Dynamite wasn't good, here's a trick; watch it with a group. Yes, the movie made seem a little overrated, but I'm serious. I've seen several people who hated the movie because they watched it by themselves, but they saw it again with others and suddenly found it hilarious. My mom, who hates, these kinds of movies, didn't like it the first time, but she watched again... and again... and again, and found herself laughing at it everytime.

If you watched it with a group and still don't like, then you just have a different taste, and I understand that. But please, talk about these movies as being overrated, not as being bad (unless it truly is, which means it has a low star rating, not how you think it is).

Okay, enough ranting.

Actually, I'm typically not that picky. If a movie has lotsa action and/or comedy, I'm usually good, no matter what sort of rating it got or what people say about it. :/
Myoti

Postby Kenchii » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:37 pm

pirates of the caribbean
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:36 pm

LOTR (so-freakin'-LONG!!). Titanic (oddly enough I liked the beginning the best). Finding Nemo (Sooo overrated. Not even as funny as Monsters Inc, or A Bug's life). Big Fish (which was a good movie, I'll admit but not THAT good). Van Helsing. (although I admit I enjoyed it, despite the fact). the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy (self explanatory). Any Pierce Brosnan James Bond film. Catwoman.
Maledicte

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:16 pm

LOTR was way too long. Also, because of comments a friend of mine had made, I kept expecting Orlando Bloom to be really hot but he wasn't.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby sen_no_kotoba01 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:19 pm

Pirates of the Carribean

GASP! (yes I said it, not actually gasping) that movie was like underrated, if anything. I liked it a lot!
Songs in my head....

Kimi no kotoba wa
Yume no yasashisa ka na?
Uso wo zenbu ooikakushiteru
Zurui yo ne

Tabi tatsu kimi ni
Tsumetai senaka misete
Kiite ita yo - hitori tatakau no?
Zurui yo ne

"Kaette kuru kara"
Oikoshite yuku kimi no koe
Ijihatte, tsuyoi furi
Toki wo modoshite: sakeba yokatta?
Ikanaide to namida koboshitara?
Ima wa dekiru, donna koto mo

Ienakatta, sen no kotoba wo
Harukana kimi no senaka ni okuru yo
Tsubasa ni kaete

Ienakatta, sen no kotoba wo
Kizu tsuita kimi no senaka ni yorisoi
Dakishimeru~~
~Sen No Kotoba~
sen_no_kotoba01

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:26 pm

Guys, tell me how movies based on a 1000+ page novel are supposed to be short?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:40 pm

Aw, there are a lot of good movies on this thread...I do agree about Napoleon, though. I LOVE that movie, of course, but I can't stand how all the people who knew nothing about it at first are now all out in droves saying, "OMGZ, NAPOLEON IZ TEH B3ST MOV13 EV3RRRR!!1111one!!" That was really annoying...Anyways, I guess the only other movie I feel is highly overrated is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I just didn't find it all that funny...
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:08 pm

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a hilarious movie! It contradicted the radio plays, the books - everything! Its British humor too, which is very different to American humor and many Americans just don't 'get' British humor.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 pm

No, it's not exactly that I don't get British humor, because I do...I guess that movie just didn't really do it for me, y'know? I didn't exactly like some of the views on God, and the guy in the Daisy Dukes was pretty gross...Eh, I dunno. I just didn't enjoy it.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Well it was written by an atheist and those parts I just see as humor, I don't believe them. Fair enough but I think it was hilarious!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Sonic_13 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:34 pm

sen_no_kotoba01 wrote:GASP! (yes I said it, not actually gasping) that movie was like underrated, if anything. I liked it a lot!

underrated? is there anybody in the world who hasnt seen and overhyped this movie? Sure it was good, but it wasnt at all what people made it out to be.

And I did watch napoleon dynamite with a group! I just didnt find it very funny. Dont think I'm a solid person who never laughs, its usually quite opposite. I will admit I laughed when the audience burst into applause at the end of the movie :P But none the less this movie was horribly overrated!
Not trying to start a new suhssuhsuhsss sensation
I'm just talking 'bout my jejejeh generation!
Sonic_13

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:38 pm

I don't think Pirates of the Carribean was overhyped at all by the media (maybe by word of mouth though). It wasn't Shakespeare (thank goodness!) but it was great fun movie which is all it was trying to be and it worked admirably!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Next

Return to General Entertainment