Charlie and the Chococlate Factory

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Charlie and the Chococlate Factory

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:30 pm

(Mods, I saw an OLD topic about this..and I didn't want to gravedig..so I hope that it was ok that I started a new one..)

Anyway.. I JUST saw this movie..it was sooooooooo awesome!! Hilariously funny..Johnny Depp did an awesome job portraying Willy Wonka...(So creepishly cool!!)

Tim Burton is soo amazing.. I really think this is better than it's predessor...

I give this movie a 9.5 out of 10..

anyone else see it?
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby LondonCalling » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:53 pm

I so totally want to see this. Johnny Depp is the freaking man . The only thing keeping me from it is the thought that I'm a 20 year old male watching Willy Wonka... :red:
This pistol is my ministry-- THE CHARIOT

You have the right to free speech unless you are dumb enough to actually try it -- The Clash

Immortality is Wasted on the Young -- Alucard

Faith alone saves, but faith that saves is never alone -- John Calvin

I reject your reality, and I substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
LondonCalling

Postby Maledicte » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:58 pm

oooh I forgot that's coming out today! I wanna see it real bad!!

I've never read the book...I might though.

but no green-haired orange-skinned Oompa Loompas, though :(
Maledicte

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 pm

Haha London...I heard a lot of grown men laughing...

And the oompa loompas are awesome! they have these really new songs for the childeren...and ooooooohhhhhhhhh soo cool! ^^
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby LondonCalling » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:21 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:Haha London...I heard a lot of grown men laughing...

But were they with their kids though?

You have the right to free speech unless you are dumb enough to actually try it -- The Clash

LondonCalling

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:50 pm

Umm I dunno..

and who cares? If you want to see soemthing..don't be afraid of what "THEY" think..who cares? If you like soemthing..don't be afraid to show it...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
ChristianKitsune

Postby Sparrow Writer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:22 pm

I saw that movie today and it was awesome! Then, as soon as I got home, I found the older version on TV. ...That was kinda strange...
"Ah, look, Kouryuu...the birds are returning north. Can you see? ...Kouryuu. Who do you suppose decided birds are free? They can fly wherever they choose...but if there's no branch for them to return to...they might regret having wings, don't you think? Perhaps true freedom...is having a home to return to."

~Adopted By~
Silvanis
Sparrow Writer

Postby LondonCalling » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:56 pm

ChristianRonin wrote:Umm I dunno..

and who cares? If you want to see soemthing..don't be afraid of what "THEY" think..who cares? If you like soemthing..don't be afraid to show it...

Oh believe me, I know all about loving things that alot of people don't like. My 2 favorite directors are Wes Andersen and Tom Tykwer, and I love anime even though all my friends at college hate it.

LondonCalling

Postby Godly Paladin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:33 pm

Does anyone else think Johnny Depp looks...um...

Homosexual?

Just in this movie, I mean.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby desperado » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:09 pm

havent seen it yet but all the reviews keep portraying him as michael jackson in the movie. I am considering seeing this though since i loved the original.
desperado

Postby Nate » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Does anyone else think Johnny Depp looks...um...

Homosexual?

YES.

As if I needed another reason to totally not go see this movie.

I am considering seeing this though since i loved the original.

Actually, that's the biggest reason I'm not going to go see this movie. How often is the remake of a movie better than the original? Never. I don't know why Hollywood continues to insist on doing remakes.

Or at the very least, they need to remake BAD movies instead of good ones. They might even be able to make 'em better.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kenchii » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:28 pm

I wanna see it. Exspecially because its directed by Tim Burton.
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:14 pm

I also want to see this. I've read the book and some years later saw the movie and thought it was almost nothing like the book. This remake is said to be closer to the book which I like the idea of. Also Johnny Depp is a great character.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:23 pm

OK, saw it, and I liked it, although I do have a bizarre sense of humor... I can see how others would be turned off by much of it, so understand if others don't find it attractive.

As "remakes" go, this one is more faithful to the book than the original, but that hasn't kept Tim Burton from throwing in a lot of interesting "references"... definitely Willy Wonka from a dark, postmodernist perspective...

I think I'll end up liking both movies, the original for Gene Wilder's Wonka (the "wise Wonka"), and the new one for Depp's "Weird Wonka".

And, no, I wouldn't call Depp's performance a "homosexual" Wonka. Maybe I missed something, but I doubt it.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Rachel » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:47 pm

I just got back a little bit ago from seeing this movie and I really liked it. Jonny Depp was great in it. He was a little pasty looking but I thought he looked good. Not gay or anything. The oompa loompa songs were good, too. I liked the end scene of it especally.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby dragonshimmer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:59 pm

I LITERALLY just got home from seeing this movie and you know...I really liked it. It wasn't the BEST movie I've ever seen, but I liked it. This movie shows much more character insight regarding Willy Wonka, and I thought the Oompa Loompa songs were INCREDIBLE! Seriously, those people who are dead set against it...at least give it a chance when it comes to video. You might be surprised.

Johnny Depp's character was a bit...odd and disturbing at times, but I thought it fit really well into this movie and I believe he did a great job.
dragonshimmer

Postby Locke » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:21 pm

/me loved the flashback sequences.

and Charlies uncle who made fun of the chubby kid. ROFFLE.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:30 pm

Godly Paladin wrote:Does anyone else think Johnny Depp looks...um...

Homosexual?

Gee, I really don't know, here we have a guy who spends a vast sum of money for what is essentially a very well decorated and sweet (though doubtless frequently replaced and difficult to maintain) fully private and non-commercially used chocolate factory - and its clear you have an excentric man who will not hesitate to look and act excentric. Now, you have the homosexual population, who as a dodging tactic to avoid the justly due shame of their abominable perversion(s) will go out of their way to look and act excentric so they can take pride in being "different". However, it is unfair and short sighted to short-circuit judgment that anyone who dresses excentrically is gay. As to the whole Michael Jackson thing, I think Tim Burton had not reckoned on the timing of the release being when it was event-wise. After a trial of a rich and excentric star who owns "Neverland Ranch" being tried for pedophilia, the popular taste for a story about an excentric and rich chocolate factory owner taking a bunch of children around his really cool factory will inevitably be soured somewhat for a while. I also disagree with Kae-san's lack of trust in Tim Burton's directing abilities, particularly since it seems to me he basically does his own thing, i.e. The Nightmare Before Christmas is quite unlike any film before or since, and very good to boot. I think that he has taken a shot at a remake of what seems to be a perpetually self sufficient film that doesn't wear down with age is a good sign that he was confident he could do a good job at it, I think both films will be a great compliment to each other and excellent films, whichever is greater in the end.
GhostontheNet

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:58 am

I just went to see this last night, and I LOVED it!! It gave so much background on Willy Wonka, and of course Tim Burton's art styles and directing talents are unsurpassed for movies of this caliber. I personally liked it better than the original, even though I do like Gene Wilder's Wonka. The movie was very funny in many places, and to those of you who are skeptical about it, I say give it a chance...You'll definitely be surprised! It's very entertaining, to say the least, the acting is fantastic (as is the case with most of Depp's films), and the parts are all wonderfully portrayed. I definitely reccommend this movie!

Also, to anyone who reads this, it's my last post for two weeks! ;_; I'll miss everyone here!! Be back soon!! ;_;

BYE!!!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kenchii » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:04 am

ooh!! sounds good! might check it out today ;)
私は愛する

<3

:: xanga ::

:: reviews::

:: amv's ::
Kenchii

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:38 am

Can we please not get into a gay debate over a freaken Willy Wonka movie? Thanks. I would hate to have to lock this thread.
Stephen

Postby Godly Paladin » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:14 pm

Oh... I'm sorry for that, Shatterheart. >.> Shouldn't have brought it up.
ImageImage
Godly Paladin

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Shatterheart wrote:Can we please not get into a gay debate over a freaken Willy Wonka movie? Thanks. I would hate to have to lock this thread.
Ok, will do. I just wanted to differentiate between being excentric and being gay.
GhostontheNet

Postby indyrocker » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:22 pm

i saw it on friday I must say i do like it! if ya look while watching it you will notis that all the umpaloopas are the same guy hahahaha. i do feel that the movie did focus a bit more than they should of on willie wanka's past and how he doesn't understand anything about family but other than that I think it can stand along side the origanal they bough have good aspects of them.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby agasfas » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:27 pm

I'm conflicted.... The first movie, I didn't really care for but this new one I heard is closer the the book. But, the whole story and look of the scences seems a bit too eccentric for me. Too much of a dream land feel.

Also, I think Depp is an okay actor, but all the girls are obsessed with him... So I kind of want to miss the movie out of spite. Sad, I know but I'm probably not the first. :P

But my brother may go see it, and if I have nothing else to do, I may go see it. But yeah... maybe not.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:49 pm

I think I'd like the '"Wise' Wonka" over the "'Wierd' Wonka" but I'd like to see it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ashfire » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:50 pm

I have not seen the movie (Maybe I will or maybe not, might get the DVD later) but I heard that Mr Depps character of Willy Wonka is based on two of America's children entertainers, Mr Rodgers and Captain Kangaroo. The hair, Captain Kangaroo, the mannerism a little freaky of both Captain Kangaroo and Mr Rodgers. Maybe the ashen face could be a little something from children entertainers who dress as clowns or had side kicks has clowns to entertain on TV.
ashfire

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:29 pm

If it is more faithfull to the book, I would love it. I mean, the old musical was very faithfull, but if they managed to keep the Oompa Loompa's songs from the Book, that would be great... They're a bit more... Sadistic (especially the one for Agustus... Hahahaha... Agustus Gloop. Agustus Gloop. Big fat greedy nincompoop... Of course, the songs in the book are MUCH longer than the musical's songs... The musical ended up being more about moderation, whereas the book was "Gum Chewing, TV watching, and overeating are EVIL DISGUSTING THINGS AND THE CHILDREN MUST BE PUNISHED!! Ma HA HA HA HA HA!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby agasfas » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:29 am

*looks around out of stupidity*

Okay I admit, I went to go see it today and it turned out to be a pretty good movie. Initially me and my friends went to go see "Wedding Crashers," but decided at the last minute to change it because my other friends wanted to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead.

At first I got a weird vibe, but after about 10mins into the film, it started to get a decent feel to it. And in spite of what I stated earlier, Depp did a pretty good job in portraying Wonka. Kind of an odd ball, but it works in its own way.

Considering I didn't care much for the first movie (not that I hated it) and I was a bit sceptic about the second, I was actually surpised. I thought the second movie was much better then the first.

So yeah, I'll say it was worth my $6 after my student discount. In my opinion, worth a watch.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:50 am

I went to see this last night and I enjoyed it ^_^ If you go expecting a remake of the old, you'll be disappointed. It's way different. If you go just looking for a fun movie to watch, you'll probably enjoy it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Next

Return to General Entertainment