The One? The Dynamic Duo? The Terrific Trio? No... THE FANTASTIC 4!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:04 am

[quote="T
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:34 am

SnowLeopard wrote:In the comics, the invisable woman and the human torch are siblings, not boyfriend and girlfriend.

Sorry, that was my stupidity and horrible grammar talking.

I`m not a big FF fan, so sorry, I always took on that theory since I never remember it being mentioned they were related. Sorry.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:13 am

I sa
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Crossdive » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:29 pm

I saw it yesterday when it first came out, it was simply AWESOME!! You simply HAVE TO see this movie. I had only a few little problems with it, and other than one specific line I didn't appreciate, all of those problems are little not-true-to-the-comics things. It is well worth seeing, they have a great mix of humor, action, romance, suspence, drama, etc.

FANTASTIC 4 [U]RULES!!!!!![/U
Jesus is Lord.
Crossdive

Location: Where would you live if you were me? But seriously, Colorado. (Someday, I'll be in Nihon!)

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:43 pm

SEE
Fsiphskilm

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:21 pm

I really have little interest in seeing this film.

[SPOILER] Dr. Doom not only looks silly, but going toe to toe with the Invisable woman? In the comics he would have smashed her into the ground. Also, getting Dr. Dooms powers in the same ship with the FF? What the heck is that?[/SPOILER] It just looks aimed at younger crowds. Alba is too young and ditzy to be the invisable woman, Mr. Fantastic also is too young. Thing and Torch look ok. Overall this looks to me to be a live action "Incredibles"
Stephen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:31 am

hey h
Fsiphskilm

Postby termyt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:30 am

Shatterheart wrote:Overall this looks to me to be a live action "Incredibles"

I saw it Saturday and it's definitely not that. I really enjoyed the movie and I was pleasantly surprised by the character development and story. Usually movies like this don't let trifles like plot get in the way of action sequences, but FF actually took some time off from action to tell a story.

Von Doom and Richards knew each other before they were Dr. Doom and Mr. Fantastic in the comics as well. I know changing creation myths in the movies is always a hang up for comic book fans, but it really shouldn't be. After all, the comic books themselves re-write character origins all of the time. It's only natural for the movies to do a little alteration here and there to fit its needs.
termyt

Postby firestorm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:40 am

termyt wrote:I saw it Saturday and it's definitely not that. I really enjoyed the movie and I was pleasantly surprised by the character development and story. Usually movies like this don't let trifles like plot get in the way of action sequences, but FF actually took some time off from action to tell a story.

Von Doom and Richards knew each other before they were Dr. Doom and Mr. Fantastic in the comics as well. I know changing creation myths in the movies is always a hang up for comic book fans, but it really shouldn't be. After all, the comic books themselves re-write character origins all of the time. It's only natural for the movies to do a little alteration here and there to fit its needs.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I want to see it. I waann see how they did witht the thing. I'm waiting til' my birthday though.
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Sesshoumaru » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:59 am

Oh man I agree with Crossdive it REALLY is an AMAZING movie!!!!

Oh man it lived up to the hype. Special effects are one thing, the plot is fantastic as well. Character development was another plus, Johnny Storm AKA The Human Torch was HILARIOUS. He's the kind of character where you're divided like "Man he';s such an arrogant jerk!" then it changes to "Man, he's so funny and cool". :dance: :rock:
Sesshoumaru

Postby yukinon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:04 am

Please for the love of heaven....you people DO realize that the Fantastic Four has been around way before anyone even thought about the Incredibles.

Anyway, I'm not a big FF fan, but I agree Sue Storm's character seems weird. I always saw her as more of a motherly, good girl type. Makes her fit better with Reed and provides an interesting contrast to Johnny. But since it's an origin story, maybe it'll work.

We shall see.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Sesshoumaru » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:44 am

:shady:

The Human Torch looks like The Flash, much like how Invisible Woman has some powers from Storm from X-Men.

HOW does the HUMAN TORCH look ANYTHING like Flash? and WHAT power of Susan does Storm have? Invisibility? Force Fields?

Idiot, Ebert's an idiot just like 99% of America's critiques. :shady:
Sesshoumaru

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:36 am

Eehh...I was going to go see this one, but I decided to pass on it. My reviewer (aka my brother who works at the theater, lol) told me it was almost as bad as Batman and Robin from so many years ago...XD So, I decided not to make myself sit through the stupid tacky line-ness of it all, XD. And yeah Sesshoumaru, Ebert and Roper give every movie they review "Two thumbs up!," no matter how amazing or amazingly horrible the movie was...It kinda stinks that they ruined such a great series, though. Fantastic Four was always one of my favorites! n_n
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sesshoumaru » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:27 am

Not to critisize your brother, but I'd see it for myself. What irritates me most about critics is that they think because they give a movie a bad or good review it's fact. But it's not, especially Ebert, he voted Troy and RE2 the worst movies of 2004. Which is why I RARELY listen to critics and see a movie out of personal interest.
Sesshoumaru

Postby yukinon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 am

It's generally a good idea to at least give a movie a chance and form your own opinion. People differ.

I wish I wasn't broke. I miss comics....I should probably stop running into things if I want money.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby GhostPoet » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:44 am

Fantastic Four was a great origin story. It had a good amount of humor, while taking itself JUST enough seriously to keep the story entertaining.

Yes..the plot was simple..but origin stories are NEVER about plot..they are about introducing the characters..giving them their powers...and showing them adjust to the powers and defeat a villian in order to become the full fledged heroes they will be.

You can't change that...if you do..you destroy too much source material and make the fans angry.

Over-all..I give it an 8 out of 10. It really captured the Fantastic Four. From their personalities to their abilities and to their interaction with each other.

I'm looking forward to a sequel.
GhostPoet

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:56 am

Please for the love of heaven....you people DO realize that the Fantastic Four has been around way before anyone even thought about the Incredibles.

I hope your not talking to me, cause that would indicate you did not read my entire post...or you skimmed it. When I said it looked like a live action incredibles...my point was, aimed at younger viewers...lack of a decent coherent plot. Clearly, since I was talking about things done in the comics...I have a knowledge of the comics.
I find it funny you so desperetly defend this movie Volt...considering how harsh you are on horror films. Too each there own I guess.

Volt wrote:Alba did a good job, so did Mr. Fantastic, what do you want? For them to be 60 years old?

Clearly I am a bad person for wanting it to slightly resemble the comics. I can't belive you of all people would argue on movie stuff...considering you are perhaps the most picky person on this site about movies. (Resident Evil, or Constantine anyone?) How would you have liked them to have cast Hiliary Duff as Jill Valentine in RE? Would that have been awesome?
Stephen

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:44 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm really bummed out that they gave Dr. Doom superpowers. I mean, in the comic he doesn't HAVE any powers, yet he keeps the FF on their toes the whole time. (kinda like Batman but evil.) Plus he was the king of his own country, how cool is that? and the metal growth stuff does NOT compare to the mask...

I suppose, however, that they had to have him introduced earlier for the sake of the film.
Maledicte

Postby yukinon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:50 pm

Shatterheart wrote:I hope your not talking to me, cause that would indicate you did not read my entire post...or you skimmed it. When I said it looked like a live action incredibles...my point was, aimed at younger viewers...lack of a decent coherent plot. Clearly, since I was talking about things done in the comics...I have a knowledge of the comics.

No, I wasn't talking directly to you, it was more of a general statement. I've just noticed a lot of people (and not just on this site) who simply brush the movie off as "trying to copy the Incredibles". And it frustrates me, since credit should be given where credit is due, and the Fantastic Four have been around longer and are much more established than a (very good, I must say) one-shot Disney/Pixar movie. People should know what they're talking about before jumping to conclusions.

And I'm a total geek.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:13 pm

[quote="Se
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:17 pm

This has already occured to some degree, but I would like to see more of the people who did or did not like the movie to explain why. You see, I rarely see movies, and I am debating if I will spend any time on this one. My opinions will likely be based mostly upon what I hear in this thread.

yukinon wrote:Please for the love of heaven....you people DO realize that the Fantastic Four has been around way before anyone even thought about the Incredibles.

I sincerely doubt (or at least hope) that anyone meant this. What I thought they meant was that because the Incredibles had almost identical powers in several cases, that this film would feel somewhat similar and be written off by the general public as something they have already seen.
uc pseudonym

Postby yukinon » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:54 pm

I have actually heard a lot of people (not on CAA) who literally think FF is copying.

And I for one liked the Incredibles for being a lighthearted sort of parody, as it was. Pixar takes some fun twists on things.

Volt says my words are golden! :lol:
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Tommy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:44 am

I might see it later on this week. Either ths or Batman Begins.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby GhostPoet » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:40 am

SirThinks2Much wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but I'm really bummed out that they gave Dr. Doom superpowers. I mean, in the comic he doesn't HAVE any powers, yet he keeps the FF on their toes the whole time. (kinda like Batman but evil.) Plus he was the king of his own country, how cool is that? and the metal growth stuff does NOT compare to the mask...

I suppose, however, that they had to have him introduced earlier for the sake of the film.

I believe they are basing the movie off of the newest FF series...someone correct me if i'm wrong...but doesn't Doom have electrical powers in the newest FF series?
GhostPoet

Postby Tommy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:24 pm

Dr.Doom always came to me as a lame villian when watching Spiderman. Is he better in FF?

( Dr.Doom is one of the few villains who appear in many Marvel series. )
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby SnowLeopard » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:09 pm

GhostPoet wrote:I believe they are basing the movie off of the newest FF series...someone correct me if i'm wrong...but doesn't Doom have electrical powers in the newest FF series?

He doesn't have electrical powers in the ultimate FF comic books, however, he can exhale poison gas and shoot these little spike thingies, neither of which, if I remember correctly, he could do in the origional.

I have a mind like a steel trap. Rusty, unsafe, and illegal in 48 states.

Forgive my idiosyncrasies, for if they did not exist, neither would I.
SnowLeopard

Postby yukinon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:06 am

I was never familiar with the Fantastic Four comics. (Though now my curiousity is peaked.) However, Dr. Doom always APPEARED cool to me. He just had that no-nonsense, majestic sort of vibe. Which is cool in a villian.

How many comic versions of FF are there?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:41 am

Dr.Doom in Spiderman and his mazing friends was beyond Lame. He just stood there and shot lazor beams out of his hand.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby yukinon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:53 am

I want laser beams. Like Deijiko.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Tommy » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:13 pm

What?
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment