I want some Christian Movie Recommendations

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

I want some Christian Movie Recommendations

Postby Street » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:21 am

Ok one thing that has been kinda annoying me is that many of the christian movies I'm seeing today are about the "end of days".
But I wanna see more softer Christian cinema again. As I reported months ago I did like this one called "China Cry". Not Great but was decent enough.
I mean i'm sure we can all admit too that the acting in most christian movies is awful....

Anyways I'm hoping to find some more good ones that are more like the show Touched By An Angel. That revolves around good messages getting across.

Some films I recently got are.

First Fruits
Escape From hell

I am thinking about getting A.D.
Street

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:33 am

Touched by an Angel actually combines New Age philosophy and Christianity so I wouldn't say its Christian. Actually I don't seem to remember one episode that mentioned Jesus, which is the only way to salvation.

There aren't many good Christian movies out there, though Passion of the Christ was good and Luther was an excellent movie.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:05 am

Courtship. That's the only one I can think of. It's pretty funny.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Street » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:34 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Touched by an Angel actually combines New Age philosophy and Christianity so I wouldn't say its Christian. Actually I don't seem to remember one episode that mentioned Jesus, which is the only way to salvation.

There aren't many good Christian movies out there, though Passion of the Christ was good and Luther was an excellent movie.

well Yeah not exactly christian tv. but it's got pretty much a feel that I think a christian show should have.

But Jesus was basically mentioned in one episode... The christmas episode "Fear not".
They don't mention him by name but the angels talk about seeing him being born and the angel coming down to them and such.
Street

Postby jazz » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:00 pm

yes yes! Luther was an excellent movie. i recomend it. :thumb: that's my two cents! ^_^
jazz

Postby Tommy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:20 pm

How about Left Behind and Left Behind II? Two movies based on the book series and that guy from "Growinf Pains" is the star.

If you`ve never heard of it, it`s a book series about after the rapture and during the tribulation.

There is "Hangman`s Curse" which is based on a book for teenagers. I recomend it ages 12-17. Great movie, but I`d like to see a better Frank Peretti book hit the movies such as "The Oath" or "This Present Darkness".

There is "Veggie Tales".........heh.

Luther was an ok movie. I mean the story is spectalar but honestly, it can leave you bored at times. That`s my two cents.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Street » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:22 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:How about Left Behind and Left Behind II? Two movies based on the book series and that guy from "Growinf Pains" is the star.

If you`ve never heard of it, it`s a book series about after the rapture and during the tribulation.

There is "Hangman`s Curse" which is based on a book for teenagers. I recomend it ages 12-17. Great movie, but I`d like to see a better Frank Peretti book hit the movies such as "The Oath" or "This Present Darkness".

There is "Veggie Tales".........heh.

Luther was an ok movie. I mean the story is spectalar but honestly, it can leave you bored at times. That`s my two cents.

I already got Left Behind 1 and 2, don't got luther yet though.
and i'd like to collect a few more Veggie Tales myself. hahaha just so embarrassing it would be to show people i have them in my collection... other then the movie.....

A good idea of what my movie collection has... and don't forget there are subfolders....

http://dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=street
Street

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:27 pm

I don't know how old you are, but if you're of age and have parents that approve, then To End All Wars is what I'd call just about the only good Christian movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Torokun » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:13 pm

"Christian Movie"...

aside from what that means...

here is one movie I recommend from what I think you mean....

To End All Wars

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243609/

It is rated R
@)[color=DarkGreen]}~`,~[/color]
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby ThaKladd » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:42 pm

Here are some Movies that may interest:

Newer:
Flywheel
Joshua
The Climb
Road To Redemption
Love Comes Softly and the sequel Love's Enduring Promise
Mercy Streets
Something To Sing About
Time Changer
Waterproof
The Moment After
Six: The Mark Unleashed
Pamelas Prayer
The Miracle of The Cards
The Joyriders
Extreme Days

Hometown Legend
Simon Birch

Older:
Chariots of Fire
The Pretender
The First Stone
The Cross and the Switchblade
Crime of the Age
Geronimo
Fury to Freedom

Dead Man Walking
Entertaining Angels
The Sacrifice

This is only some of many - I think the best and most well known are listed that you did not have on your list. I've seen all of them but 3, i think... and I know a lot more too...

hehe... think I'm kind of an expert.. huh..
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:18 pm

For various reasons, including nauseating me with one of its messages and a scene involving a "rebellious" girl that also just about made me throw up, I'd avoid "Time Changer" if you don't want to lose faith in the possibility of there being a good Christian movie...

Then there is Extreme Days... It's funny, I'll give it that. And it's not apocalyptic... It's probably as good as any movie could be about Extreme sports... Very cheesy, but it works for that one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Tommy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:27 am

Bobtheduck: I personally thought the Passion of The Christ was a good "christian" movie. Now that Torokun mentions it I will deliver my own way of commenting:

"The movie isn`t saved and the movie isn`t going to heaven."

It`s the message the movie sends. What they are trying to tell you. The morals, the theme not the movie itself.

What is To End all Wars about?
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:37 pm

Oh! I suggest Diary of a Mad Black Woman! It's VERY funny, and also very Christian. In fact, the guy who directed/wrote it is a very strong Christian. Anyways, it's a great, clean, funny, FUNNY, movie, and I reccommend! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby GhostPoet » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:12 am

I was gonna make a new post..I think this easily fits into this topic.

Why is it christian movies just plain suck? (yes..even left behind! don't defend it.) :)

I think it's because christian movies are trying to hard to preach...they must think the viewer is a complete idiot not to figure it out for themselves. Left Behind is a perfect example...it preached and preached to the point it just became corny, poorly acted and just plain stupid.

I wish the (so-called) christian movie industry would learn to put more effort into story and not try to STEAL ideas from the bible. Use your imagination!! Make up your own story with a christian influence.

I once wrote a story about a bounty hunter...he killed many men...did things others could only dream of. Then he stumbled onto a really sinister and complex plot of tons of action and intrigue. Where does the christian influence come in? The guy comes to grips with who he should be...how to escape the life he used to live...he finds God..AND manages to take out the bad guys. (they left him no choice) He doesn't stand there talking to the bad guys like "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...God is the only way to peace. He is Truth. Holy Father, I pray to you now...let not my actions be in vain. Seek not the things of this life!!"
:P
He was human...and that's another thing wrong with christian movies..they are just not really human...even when someone DOES manage to act fairly well.

oh, and I will add that Passion was an AWESOME christian movie...but it's STILL about the bible. Christian movie people need to get away from copying stories and MAKE THEIR OWN. :)
GhostPoet

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:59 pm

"Diary of a Country Priest" is one of the few spirtual movies. Its a French movie (subtitles - gah! ;) ) and its in Black & White and from 1950. And its by Robert Bresson who is one of the most difficult film-makers on the face of the earth to "get into". But its worth it. It tells the tale of a young, sickly priest who is put in charge of a small parish in rural France and is immediately rejected by the community at large. Soon he is in a spiritual struggle as he tries to keep believing in God. A very complex and powerful movie which some might call sterile. Robert Bresson's movies had many spiritual themes but is difficult because of his style which is too complex to go into. This may be the only stumbling block for many to a perfect Christian movie.
bigsleepj

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 pm

GhostPoet wrote:I was gonna make a new post..I think this easily fits into this topic.

Why is it christian movies just plain suck? (yes..even left behind! don't defend it.) :)

I think it's because christian movies are trying to hard to preach...they must think the viewer is a complete idiot not to figure it out for themselves. Left Behind is a perfect example...it preached and preached to the point it just became corny, poorly acted and just plain stupid.

I wish the (so-called) christian movie industry would learn to put more effort into story and not try to STEAL ideas from the bible. Use your imagination!! Make up your own story with a christian influence.

I once wrote a story about a bounty hunter...he killed many men...did things others could only dream of. Then he stumbled onto a really sinister and complex plot of tons of action and intrigue. Where does the christian influence come in? The guy comes to grips with who he should be...how to escape the life he used to live...he finds God..AND manages to take out the bad guys. (they left him no choice) He doesn't stand there talking to the bad guys like "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...God is the only way to peace. He is Truth. Holy Father, I pray to you now...let not my actions be in vain. Seek not the things of this life!!"
:P
He was human...and that's another thing wrong with christian movies..they are just not really human...even when someone DOES manage to act fairly well.

oh, and I will add that Passion was an AWESOME christian movie...but it's STILL about the bible. Christian movie people need to get away from copying stories and MAKE THEIR OWN. :)

LOL, I know what you mean. But, there's at least one good, realistic Christian movie out there. Diary of a Mad Black Woman! Honestly, it's SO funny, and the main character is very human. And the main comic relief, Madea, carries a pistol and says she'll come to church when they get a smoker's section. XD Really, it's a VERY funny movie! I highly reccommend it! :thumb:
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LondonCalling » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:14 pm

Luther, Joshua, and the Passion of the Christ are the only ones I have seen that were well done.

I also would add you may want to check out the Civil War Epic, "Gods and Generals". Although the film is not a Christian movie, it dedicates many scenes to General Stonewall Jackson's Christian beliefs.
This pistol is my ministry-- THE CHARIOT

You have the right to free speech unless you are dumb enough to actually try it -- The Clash

Immortality is Wasted on the Young -- Alucard

Faith alone saves, but faith that saves is never alone -- John Calvin

I reject your reality, and I substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
LondonCalling

Postby ThaKladd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:00 pm

GhostPoet: I can agree that there are a lot of christian movies that are bad, but I disagree that nearly all of them are. You've obviously seen too few of them.

for example:

Joshua: A christlike person comes to a small town, and the town start to change. not much from the bible, not even much preaching. The Preaching is shown in the mans acts.

Chariots of Fire: A True Story of a christian english olymipc gold medalist who did not want to run on sunday. Very Powerful.

Time Changer: Story of a man who comes forward in time from the 19th centry and see how the things in people's beliefs have changed...

etc.

many good stories to find. But there are many unwritten too. Some with clearer christian message, some have it more hidden. They are often not the most action filled, and not the top budget movies or best quality, but still... the movies are not all bad. (and to use the word "plain suck" even for Left Behind is wrong - maybe if you compare it with LOTR, but that's unfair)

have a nice movietime :)

Edit:

Street: You should Definately get A.D. - It's one of the best movies(or miniseries) of Acts ever made :) little bit booring some times(endless taking of the romans) but it does not destroy the big picture.
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby LondonCalling » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:12 pm

ThaKladd wrote:Chariots of Fire: A True Story of a christian english olymipc gold medalist who did not want to run on sunday. Very Powerful.

Forgot about this one. Absolute classic, definitely pick this one up.
This pistol is my ministry-- THE CHARIOT

You have the right to free speech unless you are dumb enough to actually try it -- The Clash

Immortality is Wasted on the Young -- Alucard

Faith alone saves, but faith that saves is never alone -- John Calvin

I reject your reality, and I substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
LondonCalling

Postby GhostPoet » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:52 pm

ThaKladd wrote:GhostPoet: I can agree that there are a lot of christian movies that are bad, but I disagree that nearly all of them are. You've obviously seen too few of them.

for example:

Joshua: A christlike person comes to a small town, and the town start to change. not much from the bible, not even much preaching. The Preaching is shown in the mans acts.

Chariots of Fire: A True Story of a christian english olymipc gold medalist who did not want to run on sunday. Very Powerful.

Time Changer: Story of a man who comes forward in time from the 19th centry and see how the things in people's beliefs have changed...

etc.

many good stories to find. But there are many unwritten too. Some with clearer christian message, some have it more hidden. They are often not the most action filled, and not the top budget movies or best quality, but still... the movies are not all bad. (and to use the word "plain suck" even for Left Behind is wrong - maybe if you compare it with LOTR, but that's unfair)

have a nice movietime :)

Edit:

Street: You should Definately get A.D. - It's one of the best movies(or miniseries) of Acts ever made :) little bit booring some times(endless taking of the romans) but it does not destroy the big picture.

I can agree with all of those except time changer. baaaaaad bad movie
GhostPoet

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Ugh, YES. I had to go see that movie with my school...It was a pathetic excuse for a movie. Everyone in that movie looked like an idiot. They made the people in present times look like stupid idiots, they made the main charachter look like a stupid idiot, and the acting was low, LOW par. There was no one in that movie that you could look up to, or even care about. It was just pathetic. But Diary of a Mad Black Woman...Now THAT was a good movie! XD *has already mentioned it several times, lol...*

Radical Dreamer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:22 pm

I can't say I enjoyed Chariots of Fire. We watched it in highschool. The message of faith was really good but the movie bored me almost to tears!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby GhostPoet » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:46 pm

We need a christian action movie..maybe a sci-fi one.

But..as long as things like Bibleman are allowed to be made...the christian movie industry will never escape the plague of poorly made films.:P
GhostPoet

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:13 am

To End All Wars is about scottish POWs in Thailand, held prisoner by the Japanese/Korean soldiers (under the Japanese Empire) It's the true story of Ernest Gordon based on the book "Through the Valley of the Kwai" (rereleased as "Miracle on the River Kwai" and most recently as "To End All Wars") Ernest Gordon, through the example of a Christian in his prison camp, became a Christian and helped out his captors even after torture. It's about forgiveness and reconciliation... The last scene in the movie was the REAL meeting of Ernest Gordon and Takashi Nagase. I'd especially recommend watching the making of... More of the meeting is shown in there.

This movie is VERY high quality, and holds back very little (though it does hold back, to keep audiences from coming out of it numb the torture was limited... In the commentaries, you'll hear about some of the more brutal torture and executions) There are some big name actors in it, including Kiefer Sutherland and Robert Carlyle. The main character is played by a lesser known named Cieran McMenamin. The three head Japanese officers are all played by men from Akira Kurosawa's acting troupe, so they are also rather well known.

Even though the torture shown wasn't the worst of it, and it was trimmed down, the movie is still rather brutal... It deserves its R rating.
Bobtheduck

Postby Torokun » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:01 am

Thanks Bob.

I did mention that it's rated R.. right?

But, it's rated R in a sense SPR was rated R... or Amistad (which is another good movie to watch)... or Shindler's List.

I wouldn't recommend this movie for anyone under high school level. But, for most of you here, if you are watching crapola movies like Versus and Princess Blade, it's time to watch the movie with the violence that fits the context and carrys heavier weight...

To End All Wars didn't get much marketing support from the distributor of the movie... mainly due to the fact that America was just about to go to war with Iraq... (if my memory is correct).

But, ultimately, it's about the power of faith, redemtion, and forgiveness.

Please let me know if you watched the movie. In fact, I am interested in seeing people's response to this movie...

Maybe I will start a thread dedicated to this movie.
@)[color=DarkGreen]}~`,~[/color]
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby ThaKladd » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:59 pm

I stumbled over this site with reviews of christian movies. many of them mentioned here.One Way Movies

hope it can be 4 some help. ;)
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby Christian teen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:55 pm

I really couldn't watch left behind 2 or read the books. :sweat:

Some Christian movies that I did enjoy are:

Mediggo: Dark yet effective. It about the AntiChrist.

Tribulation

Passion of the Christ

Apocalypse: It's about John and Revelation. It actually shows some of those visions. Plus persecution of Christians by an emperor who proclaimed to be a god.

Woman thou art Loosed

There is more. Yes there are bad Christian Films but I think people are starting to realize keys to making much better ones.
Christian teen

Postby creed4 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:45 pm

Two good movie:
Bells of Inosence "Chuck Noris"
Road To Redemtion.
Very Good movies
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:31 am

I don't remember the name of it, but there's a movie with Stephen Bladwin in it about these 2 guys who are black market smugglers. Stephen Bladwin isn't the main character though. IT was on TBN just teh other day and it was pretty good. One of the better Christian movies I've seen in a while.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Christian teen » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:57 pm

I believe that movie was called Six: the mark Unleashed
Christian teen

Next

Return to General Entertainment