Land of the Dead!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Land of the Dead!!!

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:31 am

Oh my
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:29 am

Wait... it's out now? o_O

*wants to see it so bad*
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:40 am

It just c
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Locke » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:21 pm

"I give up. I'm going to PROUDLY Illegally download the bootleg "Land of the Dead" online. I payed for it, I worked for it, I rode in the rain for 3h. 24 min."

Volt, you live the American dream. :thumb:

Im going to see this in theaters though.
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:50 am

I couldn
Fsiphskilm

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:36 am

Oo, that's a very thorough review. For some strange reason I actually kinda want to see this movie, which is totally out of character for me. I'm the chick whose dubbed legions of flesheating zombies the scariest movie monsters ever, yup, they are the primary subject of many a nightmare :sweat:

Also, you have my sympathy Volt, that seriously sounds like the worst day ever. Glad ya finally got to see the movie after all that trouble ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:42 pm

On my w
Fsiphskilm

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:59 pm

Most likely Romero was forced to cut stuff by the MPAA to keep it an 'R'. Same thing happened with Night of the Living Dead '90. There will likely be a Director's Cut DVD along the way.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:16 pm

In ac
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:22 pm

Volt wrote:In actuality.

The MPAA only rates movies.

It's the publishers, Miremax, Paramound, Universal, they are the ones that hold the contracts, they are ones who enforce cuts and edits.

I hate them with a strong passion.

But wouldn't stuff have to be cut anyways to avoid an X rating by the MPAA?
Azier the Swordsman

Postby TrigunX89 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:58 am

My friends went to see it earlier today, but I didn't go. :\

I've seen Day of the Dead. I never saw Dawn of the Dead...
TrigunX89

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:32 am

[quote="Az
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:14 am

Volt, I have to say that I disagree with your analysis of the film at almost every point. I thought it was excellent, on the same level as Romero's other Dead films. As a long-time fan of Romero's zombie films, that is essentially the highest recommendation that I can give to Land of the Dead. Since you don't seem to like Romero's other films, I can see why you don't like this one. Even so, I am confident that most people will appreciate this movie.

First, I don't know where you got the idea that there were never more than 100 zombies on the screen...

[spoiler=Plot]In the scene where the hordes of zombies are standing on the edge of the river, there are clearly several thousand. Large numbers are also present in the aerial scenes of the city towards the end of the movie.[/spoiler]
The other Dead films were released "unrated." That meant that they could get away with a lot more in the gore department. I was still surprised to see what they were able to keep in the film. Perhaps there will be a director's cut with even more, but I don't think that it is particularly necessary.

I was pleased to see that Romero stayed true to the old style of special effects rather than relying on a lot of CG effects. The vast majority of zombies were real people or props, which adds a lot to the movie.

It is true that the zombies in this movie do not run; however, that is a necessity in order to provide continuity with the older films, which take place in the same "universe." The fact that Romero can still make the zombies scary without having them run is a testament to his skill in the horror genre. That is not to say that there aren't moments of intentional humor, but horror is the general mood.

If you are fan of horror movies--particularly zombie horror movies--go see this film. Land of the Dead shows how zombies should be done.
cbwing0

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:38 pm

[quote="
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby cbwing0 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:07 pm

Oh dear...

Volt wrote:[/spoiler]If you look, there is only a line of zombies, there were no more than 2 lines of 70 or so zombies standing at the edge of the dock. A few yards down the dock, it gets so dark that you'll notice the rest of the zombies weren't real, they were CG.[/spoiler]

Too many spoliers boxes! Anyway...

[spoiler=Zombie numbers]If you are basing your criticism on the greater numbers in the Dawn of the Dead remake, then the fact that some of the zombies were CG isn't much of an argument. The hordes of zombies in Dawn were also mostly CG creations, rather than real actors (unless they actually blew up real people in the escape scene...).

If your complait is that there weren't enough actors playing zombies, that is a matter of taste. There were enough to get the job done, and that's what is important. The amount of character and diversity in each of the zombies was also much greather than in most zombie movies, including Dawn.[/spoiler]

Volt wrote:[spoiler]At the end, ALL of those zombies were killed with just a few rockets from 'Dead Reckoning' and that was that. So much for a world full of zombies.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dead Reckoning]That wasn't all of the zombies, just those in a single part of the city that had cornered a particular band of people. If you will remember there are still zombies walking around (Riley zooms in on a group of them being led by the mechanic zombie after the explosion) after the rocket attack, so there is no way that "all" of the zombies were destroyed in that one attack.

The fact that there weren't more zombies in total can be explained by the human presence. With an organized security force, military, and bands of raiders making frequent runs for supplies it is only natural that most of the zombies in the immediate vicinity would have been exterminated by the time that the moive begins.[/spoiler]
cbwing0

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:07 pm

The
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Torokun » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:13 pm

This is "R" rated movie. For violence and gore. I don't think a lot of you should be watching this film.

With that said, for those of you who are above 18, read on.

I am not a huge horror movie fan. I personally don't like the violence and gore that much....

But, if you are serious about studying films, it's worht looking into George A. Romero's films. Especially the "Living Dead" series.

This also means that I recommend you to watch the three films that came out before the "Land of the Dead" before watching "Land of the Dead". (did that make any sense?)

His zombie trilogy is more of a social satire. You can write whole bunch of stuff about the context of the era those films were made. I am not so sure if the newest film also follows the tradition of making a social commentary. (I have this suspision that it won't be...).

Romero doesn't really have anything to do with 90's version of Night of the Living Dead. "Dawn of the Dead", which came out last year was the remake of the second "Living Dead" series.

I am not so sure about CAA's policy on films like this... But, if anyone is interested, I will continue the discussion....
@)[color=DarkGreen]}~`,~[/color]
Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
Torokun

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:15 am

Volt you need to watch shaun of the dead
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Torokun wrote:Romero doesn't really have anything to do with 90's version of Night of the Living Dead. "Dawn of the Dead", which came out last year was the remake of the second "Living Dead" series.

That's not true actually. Romero wrote the script for NOTLD '90 but he had Tom Savini direct it.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby cbwing0 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:10 pm

Azier the Swordsman wrote: That's not true actually. Romero wrote the script for NOTLD '90 but he had Tom Savini direct it.

I don't know about writing the script, but I do know that Romero produced it. Regardless of the level of involvment, he was in fact involved with NOTLD '90.
cbwing0

Postby umathurmanlover » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:54 pm

eeehh, i saw it yesterday, Im a huge fan of romero's Dead trilogy, but this one just didnt seem to fit in, it was good nonetheless, but with the other three, i really felt emotion for the characters, because they were so average and real like you and me, that was my favorite aspect of those films. in this one I didn't feel that and could really care less about the characters
umathurmanlover

Return to General Entertainment