Batman Begins

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Batman Begins

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:22 pm

I was browsing around G2G earlier, and one of the members posted this story about the newest Batman flick.

So we've got:

- Gary Oldman as a younger Lt. Gordon (w00t!!)
- Michael Caine as Alfred (w00tX2!!)
- Morgan Freeman
- Katie Holmes
- Liam Neeson
- Christian Bale (from Equilibrium and Reign of Fire) as Batman

AND Christopher Nolan, the dude that directed Memento....

AND.................. KEN WATANABE AS RA'S AL GHUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

URESHII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I'm happy. I'm more than happy...

Christopher Nolan = film noir = Batman. It'll work.

So we've got great actors and a great director, let's get a good script and we've got cinematic gold!
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby Staci » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:09 pm

EXCELLENT! Memento was an excellent film - I highly recommend it to anyone who loves movies that make them go, "Uhhh!? I wasn't expecting that!"

Thanks for the information - knowing who it is directed by will certainly make me be in line to go see it. :thumb:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby cbwing0 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:20 am

Awesome...you can't have too many Batman movies. :thumb:

Christian Bale is an excellent choice for the role of Batman. He can play dark, disturbed characters really well. If you've seen American Psycho (but if you haven't, I would advise against seeing it), you know what I mean.
cbwing0

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:33 am

And Equilibrium showed that he could play the hero, and Reign of Fire the reluctant protector.

But mean Ken Watanabe... as Ra's Al Ghul!! I mean, whoa..... ^___^
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:46 am

Hmmm....

You mean.... For once, they will be able to actually craft a film that is worthy of the Batman name?

We will see....
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby shooraijin » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:55 am

Actually, as I put on my tomato-proof armour, I rather liked the very first Tim Burton movie, and I thought Michael Keaton was excellent (naturally Jack Nicholson was born as the Joker).

For my money, I don't care who plays Batman. I care who plays Bruce Wayne, and Keaton had the right kind of emotional turmoil within him, very subtly understated. The smarm of people like Val Kilmer and George (oh, gag me with a SPOON!) Clooney just ... just ... :shady:

Christopher Nolan's presence *is* good news, although to me he hasn't really proved he can do neo-Gothic (for that reason, Burton's presence in the first two films was a fait accompli from the get-go). But I'm with Akaida -- Memento was dizzyingly creative. I think he can pull it off.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Stephen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:11 am

I agree with Shooraijin on this...the first one was amazing...and Burton....lets just say, nobody will ever direct a Batman movie better then Tim Burton. As for Mr. Bale...I hope he plays the part good...I was dial flipping the other night after work and caught the Late show with Craig Killborne....and Christian Bale was running his mouth about how he was the best batman ever....how he was all this and a box of chocolates lol....seemed very arrogant. Michael Keaton is Bruce Wayne....hopefully Bale does not mess things up too bad....
Stephen

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:16 am

I agree that the first Batman movie was the best so far. I agree that Jack Nicholson essentially became the Joker, in my mind. Keaton also, in my opinion, has given the best Wayne/Batman performance so far.

However, I still felt as a movie (the synthesis of all the acting, screenwriting, and other elements) was very disappointing. I do not put all of my criticism on Burton for my feeling of disappointment. I just felt that they could have done better with the talent they had in the first movie. To me, it had moments of what I felt a good Batman movie should be, but I did not feel that was maintained throughout the whole movie.

Hence, personally, I do not feel it was a film worthy of the Batman name, and therefore, I also feel that there is room for a future attempt to become the Batman movie.

shooraijin, I do not know about other members, but rest assured, I do not throw tomatoes. I eat them.

Shatterheart, I believe a good actor can put aside his personality (arrogant or not) and play the character role he is given. I have never seen Bale act before. So I guess with me, he has a clean slate to present his performance as Wayne/Batman.

However, despite my disappointment over the Batman films so far, I will be keeping an eye for this one, because I would like to see a worthy Batman film.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby brantelg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:17 pm

This new one looks cool, but i can't really say, cuz I havent heard much.
However, the name of the movie is stupid. Batman BEGINS? That's pretty dumb, but I guess I'll have to wait to see if it'll be good before I judge it solely on its name.
brantelg

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:11 pm

Reading this thread
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby cbwing0 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:40 pm

Yes, I liked all of the Batman movies, as well as Batman: The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond.

I will admit that the fourth film wasn't that great, but it wasn't awful. The third movie (Batman Forever) was also good, and it had plenty of talent. The villains were more humorous than menacing, but what do you expect from The Riddler and Two-Face?

Of course I also liked the first two, with the originial being my favorite. I only vaguely remember the second film, so I can't say whether or not it was good.

I don't know...maybe if I read the comics I would dislike the movies, so I'm glad I haven't read the comics. :P
cbwing0

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:44 pm

A NEW BATMAN MOVIE?!!!! YES!!!!

*does the happy dance*

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Azier the Swordsman

Postby fayefaye » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:15 pm

I love batman!!It seems like everytime I buy one of the movies,someone steals it or it breaks.Those movies are the only franchise that I know almost every single line to (except for batman forever.)What do you guys think of the villains in the new one?I know that guy from 28 days later(never saw it) will play scarecrow.Ra's al ghul should be entertaining.I just hope they don't make too much like a serious drama and to remember to put action in it.I know it is dealing with a lot of his younger life,so I hope that the movie doesn't do too much talking.I don't have a doubt that Christian Bale wil be excellent.
fayefaye

Postby Archan » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:24 pm

Ah, the Batman conversation continues from the Catwoman thread....

Personally, I would have liked to see someone more eccentric for the scarecrow. Actually, one actor whom can play a eally good villan, (I don't know about now, it's been a while) was Jeff Goldblum (Yes, the guy who played the FLY), but thats just me.

Ra's Al Ghul is gonna be great! That's just to awesome. I wonder if his daughter will make a cameo.

I have no doubt there will be a good blend of action and drama, I'm just happy it's back to the darker Tim Burton Batman and not the vegas neon light broadway batman.....*sigh* Hopefully they make an effort to keep some kind of serious tone. Hopefully, hope against hope.....

God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby SManBeyond » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:19 pm

Oh, I hope Talia gets a cameo. I like her character a lot.

I am really looking forward to this movie. I have not seen any of the live-action movies, to be honest, but I have friends that I typically agree with who have seen all of them, and they didn't like any of them. My love for Batman stems from all three of its animated series (not the one coming out, though. That looks horrendous) and its animated movies (particularly Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker), to be honest. But I believe this film could work.

Christian Bale as Batman sounds good. I have to wait to see him in the costume and in action before I give definitive approval or rejection, but I think he'll do well. Likewise I think Gary Oldman as Gordon will work. I fully approve of Michael Caine as Alfred. Seeing Liam Neeson, Rutger Haer, Katie Holmes and Morgan Freeman in the film will be nice, but man...I am really looking forward to Ken Watanabe as Ra's Al Ghul! I like his character and am looking forward to seeing him finally come to the big screen. And I am looking forward to seeing the Scarecrow. He is a good villain and I am looking forward to seeing how they do a story with him.

The teaser trailer is up online, in case you all didn't know. You can view it from here.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:38 am

Hoom... I'm looking forward to this a lot. I'm glad that they are taking a bit more, shall we say, realistic direction with this. I don't remember the first Tim Burton movie (I was like 9 or 10 when I saw it last (and first)...) I think the second one was truely horrible, the third one was good, and the fourth one was the worst in the series... In other words, it follows the "anime series" pattern, hehehe, so it's logical for the fifth series, or movie I guess :knocks head: to get the most serious and realistic, and also have the highest production value and not look so, I can't think of the word, plastic perhaps... I know the first two were dark but, sorta how I think it can be bad for an anime to look cartoony (compare Trigun's look to Cowboy bebop's look...), there is a stereotypical comic book feel that can detract from a movie, or even from a comic book in some cases, and I hope that is gone this time around...

I have NEVER read the comics... I've never read a DC comic at all... i have been a fan of the movies and the animated shows... (I know I'm gonna get heck for my "true fan" comment, but I was never saying I was a "true fan" of Batman, but that changes in my favorite things set me off like that, so I understand why batman fans were upset...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:10 pm

This movie has got to be better than the last two. Tim Burton was the best of the directors so far. But the director of Memento is really good. And the Scaresrow is in it. Christian Bale, Liem Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Micheal Caine are great actors. If it has a good script, It could almost be better than the first one. Almost.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby Kinkosami » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:50 pm

I thought the idea of this movie was cool the first time I heard of it's making. I've always loved Batman, he's so freaking cool!

I've seen bits and pieces of the movies and such, but never liked them too much. The animated series is what caught my interest, and kept it.

I really hope there is a lot of story and interesting dialog and not to much action. They've got enough of that now days.
I'm really hoping for a good story line and a well planned movie, with good character development and dialog. That would make me very happy.

I don't care much for who plays who, as long as they do their parts well and are convincing.

I am looking forward to this movie. :grin:
*~My Signature Image~*
Look at it, you'll be glad you did!

[Minitokyo][FanFiction]

~CLICK HERE~
Kinkosami

Postby Twilly Spree » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:59 am

I hope it's as good as the Tim Burton ones. I loved those, so good.

Memento was very good, so I hoping for good things.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:56 am

Okay, as a fan of Batman I have to add my two cents:

(Sorry if I’m repeating anyone… I haven’t had to time to read the whole thread…yet)

The trailer is phenomenal, if for no other reason this: The dialogue from Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) shows that the director, Chris Nolan, understands who and what Batman is. Tim Burton had a similar grasp on the character, but I don't think the execution was there. Either Michael Keaton's performance failed to deliver or perhaps it was how Nicholson stole all the scenes. It didn't help that the casting for Dent and Gordon was atrocious and they served as nothing more than throw away characters.

But Nolan seems to understand the heart of Batman... Bruce Wayne and his obsession with the murder of his parents and the guilt that drives him. Batman isn't a superhero, just a man who, while trying to avenge his parents death and rid himself of the nightmares, has had the burden of hero thrust upon him. Bruce Wayne is human and flawed. He falters and makes bad choices from time to time, and his motivations are less than stellar at times. But in spite of all, he rises to the station of hero and goes through the nightly ritual of making Gotham City safe.

Chris Nolan, from interviews, has stated much the same thing and this new teaser trailer confirms that he understands what makes Bruce Wayne tic and as such what make the Dark Knight who he is.

The casting for this movie just shows that Nolan also understands the importance of the characters surrounding Batman and help shape the legend of Gotham's Hero.

The movie will Chronicle the training and learning of Bruce Wayne and the beginning of the Dark Knight's crusade starting the franchise out fresh completely disregarding the films that have come before. All in all, I think it will shape up to a be an excellent film.
Link Antilles

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Wow. Just got back from seeing this one. Fantastic. I honestly think it was the best Batman movie to date, and the best superhero movie I've seen in a while. Christian Bale did a superb job as Bruce Wayne and as Batman. The acting was very good, and the storyline wasn't predictable in the least. I really liked how the story focused more on the characters, and less on the cheap action thrills. The character development really helped the story, but it was evenly balanced with the action, so there were no boring moments. And seeing Ken Watanabe in something besides The Last Samurai was too cool! ^_^ Needless to say, this was a fantastic film, and I'll definitely be seeing this one again! :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:05 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing this tonight. They've got all the right actors and a decent script. It should be good.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Stephen » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:57 am

Wow I forgot this film...I need to see this soon. I still think it looks good from what i have seen...and Scarecrow looks like a freaken beast!
Stephen

Postby Yojimbo » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:00 am

Yes I hope this Batman redeemed the others. I'll just have to see for myself soon.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:16 am

All together, as a complete Comic Super Nerd...I was really quite impressed with this movie. It was a movie renditioning of the Batman: Year One comic series for any of you other nerds out there. It didnt stick 100% to the comic, but nothing ever does. At least they got who killed Bruce Waynes parents right for once and they didnt give Batman the 1960's Adam West boyscout persona that had so sadly befallen the Dark Knight in previous movies. All together, the best and most accurate Batman to date...I look forward to the sequels!
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:35 pm

Shatterheart wrote:I agree with Shooraijin on this...the first one was amazing...and Burton....lets just say, nobody will ever direct a Batman movie better then Tim Burton. ....

Shatterheart wrote:Wow I forgot this film...I need to see this soon. I still think it looks good from what i have seen...and Scarecrow looks like a freaken beast!

Your going to be proven wrong once you've seen it.

Tim Burton is good...But hes not an action director.

I completely agree that Batman Begins is an excellent film and is IMO the best comic movie of all time.
Solid Ronin

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:25 am

I saw this movie last night at an IMAX an all I can say is--

"RACHELLLL!!!!!!"

Yeah, it was that good. It is probably the best movie I'll see all year except maybe Serenity. But dang, this movie was good. The actors were all well cast, the sets were beautiful (it looks like Blade Runner), the villains were scary ("Would you like to see my mask? I put it on in during the experiements; it scares the prisoners."), it was well shot, and the action scenes were wondeful. They're very realistic; all disorienting and clastorphobic.

Argh, I could go on forever.

In short: This movie is like Spider-Man 2, only with adults instead of teenagers.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:20 am

Michae
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:27 am

Oooh, I want to see it on the IMAX next! The only IMAX near me is in Myrtle Beach, and that's about two hours away...But yeah, I agree with Michael. It's a wonderful film, and even though I'm a big fan of Spidey, I'd go as far as saying that this movie was better...I can hardly wait for the sequel! I was a little dissapointed at first, not seeing Joker, Riddler, or Penguin, but I think that that's what made it so good...I did get excited at the end, though, when [SPOILER]we learn that another villain who's "into theatrics" left a calling card, and it was a Joker playing card...^_^[/SPOILER]

It was so well cast, though...The only part I couldn't really see was the actor who played Alfred (can't remember his name...). I can only ever think of him as the gay guy in Miss Congeniality...XD I think he should've had a moustache. Alfred always had a moustache. ^_^

Anyways, this was a fantastic movie, and I hope I get to see it many, many times before it leaves the theaters. I loved the line "It's not who you are underneath. It's what you do that defines you." Ha, it's in my sig, too! ^_^
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Joshua Christopher » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:59 pm

SpikeSpiegel306 wrote: It didnt stick 100% to the comic, but nothing ever does.

Sin City did, but we won't get into that one here ; )

I liked it. Not as good as Casshern, but it was great.
Joshua Christopher

Next

Return to General Entertainment