Shark Boy and Lava Girl

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Nate » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:27 am

Is it just a coincidence that the title sounds phoenetically similar to the Treehouse of Horror episode of Simpsons that had Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Scribs » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:00 am

Is it just a coincidence that the title sounds phoenetically similar to the Treehouse of Horror episode of Simpsons that had Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl?

I would bet that it is just a freaky coincidence.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:52 pm

Another movie that I thought was a joke was "Shaun of the Dead". The tagline:

"A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies."

That sounds like something you`d see as a fake movie advertisement on a sictom.

'Sharkboy and Lavagirl' comes to mind. Tell me this movie is rated G.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby HikariChan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:55 pm

I'd give it a chance
So when it comes out on tv i'll watch it till it frys my brain, then change the channel!
Then i'll have a reason to say its bad, not just go by what ppl say:thumb:

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby Scribs » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:04 pm

I saw a tiny 20 second bit of this movie today!

I was on my way in to see star wars, but I decided to take a peek into this movie...
What i saw was lava girl walking over an ice bridge in her sleep. The other two people were plotting on how to save her from some unknown danger. Then I left.

I know not what to make of this knowlege.

If anyone does see it, please tell me the context of this...
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:26 pm

Meh. Not really my type of movie. Sorry, Alice! ^_^ I really do think it looks pretty stupid, but if it's geared towards kids, then more mature audiences will be bound to think so. It's just another one of those things that's a matter of opinion, I suppose. ^_^
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Animom » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:35 pm

Wow! I must say that commercials on Shark Boy & Lava Girl HAVE left me a bit cold as well. But then commercials do that, and should if you ask me. I HATE commercials. The Star Wars commercials were not IMHO all that great, just the anticipation of the coming of the film was...

Reviews can be relied on IF the reviewer shares your personal prejudices (or opinions as you like). :)

As a Christian I am often embarrassed by so called Christian critics of many things -- that often turn out harmless or become accepted.

Although not a movie that will WOW the majority, I am just curious enough to WANT to see this supposed "DUD". I can remember some of my fav movies of days gone by were NOT popular at all.

And the reviews of several well known reviewers HARDLY reveal what I want to know about a new film. I find my son usually has the best reviews (of all the reviews he reads) because he knows my prejudices and likes, and the prejudice of the reviewers he reads.

[indent]
Sidenote: I use the word prejudice advisedly -- because sometimes it IS prejudice. Not the bad kind, but the thinking kind. As I say it it sounds impossible; maybe I'm using the wrong word and should say 'opinions' after all.

[/indent]

I believe that family films as opposed to raunchy ones DO make more money in the long run. Figure not just first run or first weeks, but discount theatres, and video/DVD sales as well. Parents are always on the lookout for a movie that's fit for kids/family. Unfortunately, it's not always quality. Just like some Christian films I've run across. --->

[indent]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=84]I have a Pilgrim's Progress tape that has such poor technical, and artistic quality that it's unfit to watch even though the story is very high quality.

[/indent]
Sorry I wrote a book.... :red:

[/size][/font]
Animom
my favorite scripture:
"I don't want your sacrifices---I want your love; I don't want your offerings---I want you to know me." Hosea 6:6 (Living Bible)

The reason I love this is because it reminds me that
our God is a personal God. He wants a personal relationship with us.
Not duty prayer, but openness and true communication.
Animom

Postby Scribs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:28 pm

I have a Pilgrim's Progress tape that has such poor technical, and artistic quality that it's unfit to watch even though the story is very high quality.

I think I have seen that! wiht erie vices in the forest chanting "The wages of sin is death, death. The wages of sin is death! Wages, Wages. Death, Death. The wages of sin is death."

Though I did the other day get a happy meal (I was low on cash and it was the chepest meal out there) and got a shark boy and lava girl comic book! You had to provide your own pictures... Maybe I will post it and show you all my interpertation of it sometime...
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Heart of Sword » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:56 am

I'm not the target age group :P, but I really liked it. The acting was ridiculous and it was beyond cheesy, but that was part of it. It's going on inside a 4th grader's mind...give them a break. :lol:

Anyway, it was an almost exact copy of a novel I just wrote. Which was irritating. (all the way down to the half-human/half-animal thing. o_O)

Sharkboy's most likely too young for me, but he's cute. XD He reminded me of Battousai Kenshin. XD
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Heart of Sword » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:02 pm

I hated that it was in 3-D. I thought my eyes were going to fall out. Warning--do not go with a headache! It will quickly develop into a migraine! (And if you already have a migraine, it will be the death of you.) But seriously, it was enjoyable. Go ahead and "bother" with it...just be warned about the whole 3-D thing. I think they should have skipped that in some parts...the screen was usually all red.

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

Heart of Sword

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:30 am

I know I'd do better with out the 3-D thing, but I feel you have to take movies like this for what they are intended to be.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Alice » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:43 am

Heart of Sword wrote:I'm not the target age group :P, but I really liked it. The acting was ridiculous and it was beyond cheesy, but that was part of it. It's going on inside a 4th grader's mind...give them a break. :lol:

Anyway, it was an almost exact copy of a novel I just wrote. Which was irritating. (all the way down to the half-human/half-animal thing. o_O)

Sharkboy's most likely too young for me, but he's cute. XD He reminded me of Battousai Kenshin. XD

Now I definitely want to see it! The general plot reminded me of a story I wrote, too. (Children in a virtual game world, thingy.) It probably won't be alike at all, but I want to see!

I like the idea of getting into a child's mind. Call it research. I have to revamp a children's story soon, so...
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:15 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Another movie that I thought was a joke was "Shaun of the Dead". The tagline:

"A Romantic Comedy. With Zombies."

That sounds like something you`d see as a fake movie advertisement on a sictom.

Make no mistake.... SOTD was good. It wasn't really a romantic comedy though. It was a comedy/zombie horror hybrid. I'll vouch that it definately was one of the funniest movies ever made.

*Azier apologizes for going off topic
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:03 pm

Alice, seen it yet?

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:40 pm

ahh Shaun of the dead was absolutely amazing

Shaun: Phillip, have you still got the child-locks on?
Philip: Safety first, Shaun.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Alice » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:36 am

Not yet, although I finally saw Batman Begins.
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:31 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Spiderman had cursing but I didn't think Star Wars did. The worst I heard was: "blast."
Or do you mean the newer ones? In the more recent movies there were one or two instances of "d@mn." Is that what you mean?

Obi-Wan says "d**n" when talking to Luke in New Hope.

"He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some d**n fool idealistic crusade like your father did."

Just felt like throwing that in.

Oh....Shark Boy and Lava Girl....I'd say....much better movies (Batman, War of the Worlds, Mr. and Mrs. Smith....)
Hitokiri

Previous

Return to General Entertainment