Obi wan versus Yoda

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 31, 2005 5:43 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Well, technically Anakin *did* bring balance to the Force. At the end of "Sith", there were two Jedi and two Sith still alive ]

Which is exactly what I meant by:

My take has always been that bringing "balance" to the Force meant equaling the Jedi and Sith, not actually providing stability.

Shatterheart wrote:Everytime I saw Samuel L. Jackson in Ep2 and Ep3...I really was half expecting him to bust out with an F-bomb.

This didn't occur during the movies, but every time I've seen him after what immediately came to mind was one of the quotes from the "script" AnimeHeretic posted earlier: "Or Samuel L. Jackson, cracker!" By the by, those were pretty funny.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Tue May 31, 2005 6:25 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:This didn't occur during the movies, but every time I've seen him after what immediately came to mind was one of the quotes from the "script" AnimeHeretic posted earlier: "Or Samuel L. Jackson, cracker!" By the by, those were pretty funny.

I wish the site wasn't torn down. They parodied several anime as well in the same format. Unfortunately, while you can find Toastyfrog, he seems to have pulled down his thumbnail theaters-- only by chance I had an old backup disc with them on it.
Arnobius

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:49 pm

blkmage wrote:Lucas has said that Anakin brought balance to the Force by killing Palpatine at the end of ROTJ.

He did then, as well.
[spoiler]
He first brought balance to the force by killing all but two Jedi. Then, on RotJ, there was only one Jedi and two Sith. He balanced the force by tossing one of the Sith over a railing. Unfortunately, he died shortly there after.[/spoiler]
Although, the whole balancing the Force thing is a mystery to me. The Jedi play to the center, muting their emotions and feelings trying to find this balance they seek. The Sith embrace their bad selves and take the evil path. Is anyone actually trying to be good?
termyt

Postby Anime Dad » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:00 pm

Yoda! He's also the coolest. I love the little "thing" he floats around on.
Anime Dad

Location: Australia.... BTW i'm not really a dwarf with a bushy beard and a helmety thing.....

Postby Ingemar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:10 am

termyt wrote:The Jedi play to the center, muting their emotions and feelings trying to find this balance they seek. The Sith embrace their bad selves and take the evil path. Is anyone actually trying to be good?

How indicative of modern culture. We are quick to denounce evil, but are reluctant to proclaim that which is good.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:50 am

Ingemar wrote:How indicative of modern culture. We are quick to denounce evil, but are reluctant to proclaim that which is good.

Oh, how I would like to believe that Lucas meant that. But good point (both you and Termyt); the Star Wars universe doesn't seem to have an overall force striving for good. Then again, considering it comes from a secular worldview, who is anyone to say that something is "good"? Without any standards, why wouldn't neutrality be the closest thing to goodness?
uc pseudonym

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:03 pm

i voted for yoda... BUT I REALLY meant to vote for luke

who brought jedis back into the world? Luke, Who formed a Jedi Academy in a Masassi Temple on Yavin IV... Luke did

heres an idea... lets say sith were negative... and jedis were neutral

therefore if there were no sith, but jedis... then there would be balace...

but if there were sith... it would be "negative"

so to balance, there has to be no sith
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby TurkishMonky » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Here's my take:

Obi-wan was one of the best swordfighters ever for the jedi, but his "midichlorian count" was a bit lacking. Watch the movies and notice the number of times he is tossed out of the way with a quick force push. he has some abilities, but his main strength is not the force.

Yoda on the other hand, is a good swordfighter because of the force, and uses it a ton to reach the height he needs or to sense a swing.

Anakin only lost because he can't think, therefore he makes dumb attacks although he is more like yoda if he had the mind, since his MCs are "off the charts."

Luke started out horrible swordfighter, but eventually (because of his powerful daddy) got the midichlorians and became who his daddy should have been (if only Hayden Christiansen wasn't playing Anakin..... that is waht really drove darth vader to the dark side.)

Yoda, with Luke close #2
TurkishMonky

Postby meboeck » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:28 pm

TurkishMonky wrote:(if only Hayden Christiansen wasn't playing Anakin..... that is waht really drove darth vader to the dark side.)

So true.
*insert poem, quote, or witty comment here*

"If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! -- [color=#cc3322]MOES."
[/color]
meboeck

Postby Arnobius » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:06 pm

Nah-- what drove Anakin to the dark side was when Palpatine told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be his new Padawan ;)
Arnobius

Postby Sesshoumaru » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:13 pm

[quote="AnimeHeretic"]Nah-- what drove Anakin to the dark side was when Palpatine told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be his new Padawan ]
To Quote noobs: "BOO!"

Sorry, had to say that.
Sesshoumaru

Postby Lehn » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:22 pm

Obi-Wan.

Because he's freakn' cool.

Thenewpichasnothingdothatvote,iswear.
Lehn

Postby blkmage » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:49 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Nah-- what drove Anakin to the dark side was when Palpatine told him that Jar Jar Binks was going to be his new Padawan ]
Speaking of Jar Jar, here's something one of my friends wrote in his review of episode iii:
acting: jar jar was awesome. he looked shocked when palpatine announced his empire, he looked sad at padme's funeral and HE DIDN'T SPEAK AT ALL.
blkmage

Postby Ingemar » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:53 am

Shatterheart wrote:Everytime I saw Samuel L. Jackson in Ep2 and Ep3...I really was half expecting him to bust out with an F-bomb.

I can't believe I missed this one.

"Well I'm a mushroom-cloud laying [REDACTED], [REDACTED]! Everytime I get Force lightning all over me, I'm Superwookie TNT, I'm the Turbocannons of Navarrone!"

Anyone who can give me the original quote 1). will have to give it to me by PM to keep the site G-rated and 2). will get a zillion brownie points.

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:27 pm

OB1: One of the biggest liars in all of history.

Yoda: Cryptic, sanctimonious little jerk.

It's pretty much even.

This analysis takes into account the OT and the PT, making everyone hate the PT even more.

Ingemar

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:38 pm

I always admired Luke as a Jedi. Even while still in training, in spite of starting out "too old", he did acquire a bunch of skills in a short time.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:25 am

Actually Yoda wins by default because Obi Wan went insane after episode 1 because he had to listen to Jar Jar too long and Luke is still getting over Leia
being his twin sister thing.
mitsuki lover

Postby Nightshade X » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Let's keep in mind that...

[spoiler]while Darth Vader (I call him Vader because that was his name at the moment he turned to the dark side of the Force, not when he got his limbs hacked off and needed prosthetics) and his clone troopers did kill just about everyone in the Jedi temple on Coruscant, the one responsible for all of it was Darth Sidious. He was the one who executed Order 66 and began the Great Jedi Purge. Also, even though there seemed to be only two Jedi and two Sith at the end of Revenge of the Sith, you have to realize that after Obi-Wan and Yoda inspected the temple, they recalibrated the beacon to warn all surviving Jedi to stay away from the temple.

In essence, Anakin did not bring balance to the Force until the end of Return of the Jedi, where he killed Darth Sidious and returned to the light. The prophecy came to pass... just not when or how everyone wanted it to happen.[/spoiler]
Nightshade X

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:20 pm

dude. this thread is really old...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:08 pm

Well, perhaps a gravedig would work in this case.

Yoda just seemed a lot stronger than he really was when he started fighting in "Attack of the Clones" mainly because people would never expect a frail 2-foot-goblin thingy with a cane could ever fight. Well, he could, but he couldn't even beat Count Docoo (sp?) so we know he isn't even that good of a fighter.

Contrary to the above paragraph, I agree with Nate's post way back 100%.

Being a Jedi is just as much about mental power as physical and while Yoda was a good fighter he would lose against Mace Swindu, however, he would pwn everyone in a battle of wits and using the force.

So yeah, he was the wise old master and I found him a better jedi than Obiwan.
Tommy

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:24 pm

I think, as far as a straight-up lightsaber duel goes, Obi-Wan would win. You have to go beyond the movies to understand why [although not for everything]. Obi-Wan has a reach advantage [longer limbs and longer weapon], although admittedly Yoda could, theoretically, get inside his effective range, ala Aoshi vs. Kenshin [Kanryu mansion fight]. However, let's look at their fighting styles. Yoda's style, Ataru [IIRC], is a highly acrobatic style. Now, with his age and small frame, Yoda has to expend considerably more Force energy than, say, Qui-Gon [who, according to the books, also practiced Ataru]. Now, Yoda does have righteous amounts of Force energy to draw upon, but he will burn through it at a faster rate than Obi-Wan will. Obi-Wan's style, Soresu, is a highly-refined defensive form. In the Revenge of the Sith novelization [which is highly superior to the film IMO], Obi-Wan is able to defend himself against Grievous' four lightsabers, sustaining his defense of up to around 20 strikes per second. Yoda won't attack that fast, and Obi-Wan can just stay in one spot and defend, wearing Yoda out. Our human friend won't have to expend a lot of Force energy [a bit for enhanced reflexes, but not much else] and thus, even though he most assuredly has less Force energy, can make it last as long if not longer than Yoda can.

My verdict: Obi-Wan wins a battle of attrition.

As far as overall Jedi prowess, meh, I'm going to give it to Yoda. He has more Force ability, which is the defining Jedi trait [swordsmanship isn't].

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Yoda just seemed a lot stronger than he really was when he started fighting in "Attack of the Clones" mainly because people would never expect a frail 2-foot-goblin thingy with a cane could ever fight. Well, he could, but he couldn't even beat Count Docoo (sp?) so we know he isn't even that good of a fighter.

actually, it was Docoo who ran away. i'm sure, if they continued their fight, yoda would have prevailed. i think the question would really depend on which yoda and obi wan are talking about. if you are referring to them in the first three episodes, yoda would have my pick. however, yoda gets quite a bit older and probably loses a lot of his fighting ability in the fourth-sixth episodes. (as does obi wan...) even the sith lord doesn't fight later on...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous

Return to General Entertainment