Episode III "Seen It" Thread ***SPOILERS***

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby lionheart » Sun May 29, 2005 5:47 pm

Then who were all those people in the hover ship things? :eyebrow: At least I thought that I saw people in them. Perhaps I was mistaken.
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 5:53 pm

lionheart wrote:Then who were all those people in the hover ship things? :eyebrow: At least I thought that I saw people in them. Perhaps I was mistaken.

I think they were empty when Yoda fought the emperor. I was taking a close look, especially whn they were playing "smash up cars" with the different "ship things" (I don't know what to call them either). It was darker so hard to see, but I'm pretty sure they were fighting in an empty chamber.
Arnobius

Postby lionheart » Sun May 29, 2005 6:06 pm

Okay, I must have been mistaken then. How Embarrassing. :lol:
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Stephen » Sun May 29, 2005 6:09 pm

Palpatine was in a lightsaber duel with yoda in front of the entire senate, yet they apparently didn't get the slightest bit suspicious of his story about the jedi. (Anyone who can duel yoda like that must have some knowledge of the force, so they should have been suspicious of his story about the jedi.)

Anakin had the maturity level of a 12 year old.

Grevieus's cough made him look/sound like a wimp.

The droids had too much personality and too little brains.

Count doku died like a wimp.

Mace windu died like a wimp.

Hmm.

1. As far as I know, the senate chamber was empty
2. I don't see how you get the 12 year old thing...I felt it was pretty well thought out that he did everything out of love. Of course thats a side of love nobody likes to talk about....that love can drive someone to kill or harm others to save them.
3.I thought the same thing about Grievous...then I heard that Mace Windu force pushed him in the chest in the cartoon network show...so, it was continuing that effect.
4. I personaly think the droids were used to much overall. I did not like them talking (Battle droids etc) So I won't argue with you that the droids overall were a negative.
5. I don't agree here...Doku was beaten by a far stronger person. See how cocky and calm you'd be with both your hands sliced off and in the mercy of an emotionaly unstable youth.
6. Mace was betrayed...as far as dieing like a wimp...yet again, how cocky would you be if someone just sliced your arm off....I thought his death was well done. It showcased Sidious' power.
Stephen

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun May 29, 2005 6:16 pm

I wonder if I was the only one sitting in the theater desperately hoping Anakin didn't give into evil. :lol:

Overall, I thought it was awesome. Naturally, there were a few lines where I was just thinking "Oh, come on! That could have been SO MUCH BETTER!!", but it's Star Wars. A certain measure of corny acting is a necessity. It would have been worth the admission just to see Yoda kick butt. Rock on, Yoda!

My only major quam with the movie was the Jedi philosophy laid out. You know, turn from all emotion. Be a living robot. Frankly, if I were Anakin, I don't think I could have swallowed that. The Dark side was more human than the Light side.

Plus, I just wanted to cry when Anakin got all burned up because:
A) I liked Anakin, despite his many problems.
B) HIS HAIR! My gosh!! ALL THAT BEAUTIFUL HAIR IS GONE!! *sobs*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 6:23 pm

As for Mace Windu:
I do think Samuel L Jackson should have spent more time practicing Kendo (or whatever they used) since he seemed totally out of step with the rest of the battle. I mean, it was glaringly obvious...
Arnobius

Postby Tommy » Sun May 29, 2005 6:51 pm

I still think it would`ve been cool if Boba Fett killed off Swindu.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Ashley » Sun May 29, 2005 6:52 pm

Using relativist propaganda throughout the film, despite non-relativist comments made in the earlier star wars films:

Tell me then, how do you explain a major plot point in the original trilogy: Obi-wan told Luke Vader killed his father, and Vader told Luke he WAS his father. They said that, from a certain point of view that was the truth. Sounds pretty relativistic to me.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Ashley wrote:Tell me then, how do you explain a major plot point in the original trilogy: Obi-wan told Luke Vader killed his father, and Vader told Luke he WAS his father. They said that, from a certain point of view that was the truth. Sounds pretty relativistic to me.

Yeah, if you look at it, the "deep" teachings of the jedi isn't that far off Bill and Ted's "Be Excellent to each other."

Kind of reminds me of that Wiccan philosophy: Something to the effect of "Do what you want as long as you don't hurt anyone" (forgot it exactly).

I think things changed in George Lucas' philosophy between trilogy 1 and trilogy 2

Hmm, I can envision the redone dialogue
Obi Wan: I wouldn't call what I told you was a lie. I'd just call it a completely false statement told with the intent of deceiving the listener. ;)
Arnobius

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun May 29, 2005 7:19 pm

Really with all the acclaim Star Wars has recieved from fans (and the money) why is it so hard for Lucas to hire someone who can write real dialogue? Granted RoTS was better in dialogue than the first two but none of the Star Wars movies ever really had real dialogue. The Originals included.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 29, 2005 8:39 pm

with all this bickering going on... i think we can all agree on one thing

no jake lloyd....

yess!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 8:48 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:with all this bickering going on... i think we can all agree on one thing

no jake lloyd....

yess!

I'll salute that one! Lucas should have had all three with Anakin as an adult. We didn't need a kid Luke Skywalker!
Arnobius

Postby Stephen » Sun May 29, 2005 9:12 pm

We didn't need a kid Luke Skywalker!

You mean Anakin?;)
Stephen

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 9:26 pm

[quote="Shatterheart"]You mean Anakin?]
I see I'm bad at using too few words. :sweat:

I should have said: We didn't need a kid Luke Skywalker back then, and we don't need a kid Anakin Skywalker now either.
Arnobius

Postby lionheart » Sun May 29, 2005 10:47 pm

Hmm.

1. As far as I know, the senate chamber was empty
2. I don't see how you get the 12 year old thing...I felt it was pretty well thought out that he did everything out of love. Of course thats a side of love nobody likes to talk about....that love can drive someone to kill or harm others to save them.
3.I thought the same thing about Grievous...then I heard that Mace Windu force pushed him in the chest in the cartoon network show...so, it was continuing that effect.
4. I personaly think the droids were used to much overall. I did not like them talking (Battle droids etc) So I won't argue with you that the droids overall were a negative.
5. I don't agree here...Doku was beaten by a far stronger person. See how cocky and calm you'd be with both your hands sliced off and in the mercy of an emotionaly unstable youth.
6. Mace was betrayed...as far as dieing like a wimp...yet again, how cocky would you be if someone just sliced your arm off....I thought his death was well done. It showcased Sidious' power.

1. AH already set me straight on that one. :P

2. I suppose I used the incorrect term. It would probably be more accurate to say that he had the emotional stability of a 12-year-old. I often subconsciously equate the two with each other. Though I hope that you'll concede that he WAS a little messed up. He was so filled with vainglory and poor judgment that it was almost laughable. (In my opinion anyway.)

3. That explains everything! It would have made so much more sense if they had mentioned that in part of the movie's dialog though. (Unless I missed it somehow.)

4. Yes! Agreement!

5. I probably used the incorrect terms here. Count doku, to me, was episode 2's version of Darth Vader. To watch him be so easily outclassed in episode 3, after witnessing his power in episode 2, was more than a little disappointing.

6. I'll concede that one. It was a disappointment to watch Windu killed off so easily though.

Goes off to rewrite earlier post. :sweat:

Tell me then, how do you explain a major plot point in the original trilogy: Obi-wan told Luke Vader killed his father, and Vader told Luke he WAS his father. They said that, from a certain point of view that was the truth. Sounds pretty relativistic to me.

It might have seemed relativistic...
But I believe that Obi wan was guilty of using the informal fallacy of equivocation in that instance.
Equivocation means to 'create ambiguity by jumping between two legitimate meanings of a term.' (Textbook example: If you get rid of all churches, you'll get rid of all Christians, because they are the Church.)

Yoda's line, "do, or do not. There is no try." Seems completely anti-relativistic to me. But that could be just me.

To clarify, a quick overview of relativism can be found at http://www.probe.org/docs/cult-rel.html If you're interested. :thumb:

Isn't it wonderful how taking a Christian worldview class will make you over-analyze everything? :lol:

why is it so hard for Lucas to hire someone who can write real dialogue?

So true. :lol:

with all this bickering going on... i think we can all agree on one thing

no jake lloyd....

I rarely keep track of an actor's name, but if he's the one who played Anakin I'll agree 100% with you. :thumb:
lionheart

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 30, 2005 12:10 am

Mangafanatic wrote:I wonder if I was the only one sitting in the theater desperately hoping Anakin didn't give into evil. :lol:

I was thinking it would have been hilarious if Lucas had simply thought, "You know, even if this movie far outclassed all of the original trilogy combined, people would still like it less, think of many reasons why it was bad and then be angry with me for lack of continuity." Then, he could have done something ridiculous, like making Anakin turn good and most of the Jedi not die.

Mangafanatic wrote:The Dark side was more human than the Light side.

Other than the slaughtering of people bit.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kurama » Mon May 30, 2005 12:57 am

Crusader X wrote:Yes, Mace busted up Grevious badly at the end of the Clone Wars cartoons. That's why Grevious is already wounded in Epiosde III.

Yeah I remember that too I had to explain that to my whole family because i am the one of the family that wayches every good cartoon! ^__^x But Greavus is now one of my fave bad Star Wars guy person! ^^]Nice thing about Lightsabers: hardly anyblood.

Hayden is a better acting if he's given a silent role methinks. Least Jar Jar was quiet.[/QUOTE]

My dad realy like it that Jar Jar was quiet! But I liked Jar Jar he was funny! ^^ But I did come up with a funny joke about Jar AJr And A light saber! Hee hee!
Kurama

Postby Kurama » Mon May 30, 2005 1:02 am

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Nice thing about Lightsabers: hardly anyblood.

Hayden is a better acting if he's given a silent role methinks. Least Jar Jar was quiet.

My dad realy like it that Jar Jar was quiet! But I liked Jar Jar he was funny! ^^ But I did come up with a funny joke about Jar AJr And A light saber! Hee hee!
Kurama

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon May 30, 2005 10:00 am

Just saw it. Liked it much. My mom said she didn't want to see it because she heard it was it was dark and violent. I said considering what was suppossed to happen that was somewhat inevitable. I was concerned because I had read something that said the finale was what people had been in expectation of, and that could mean either the special effects were amazing or the whole thing was predictable. Fortunately, it meant great special effects and a better movie than it's immedaite predecessors. I thought that plot stayed together very well, especially considering the breakneck pace they had to use.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 30, 2005 11:14 am

i thought grevious ws just overall really dumb... i didn't like his character... like i said... all the driods look like lucas attempted to make them more humanlike... which kinda destroyed the mood
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby blkmage » Mon May 30, 2005 2:30 pm

I probably used the incorrect terms here. Count doku, to me, was episode 2's version of Darth Vader. To watch him be so easily outclassed in episode 3, after witnessing his power in episode 2, was more than a little disappointing.

You forget that Dooku was killed by the to-be Darth Vader. I mean, there's gotta be a reason why Palpatine wants Anakin over Dooku, and this must be one of the reasons.
blkmage

Postby Tommy » Mon May 30, 2005 2:44 pm

It`s freaky that the guy that played Dooku and the guy that played Saruman from Lord of the Rings are the same guy. Star Wars and Lotr are so similar and so different at the same time.

Didn`t Count Dooku have a name that was "Darth" something....? I forgot what it was.

Maybe Sidius chose Anakin over Dooku because Anankin was stronger....just a thought. Dooku knew Palpatine was Sidius right? Why`d they have hm kidnapped? I guess I should watchg Clone Wars....
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Pent » Mon May 30, 2005 4:43 pm

I think Count Dookus "darth" name was Darth Trynus. Or something of that sort.
Pent

Postby Ashley » Mon May 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Tyrannus, that's it. I couldn't remember it either.

So, we have Darth Sidious over Maul > Tyrannus> Vader
Ashley

Postby blkmage » Mon May 30, 2005 5:52 pm

It`s freaky that the guy that played Dooku and the guy that played Saruman from Lord of the Rings are the same guy. Star Wars and Lotr are so similar and so different at the same time.

Dooku = Saruman = Dracula

It's clear that Anakin was Sidious' choice for an apprentice right from the beginning. He befriends him in Episode I at the end, and we see them being all chummy in Episode II, and finally, Episode III. He acts as a mentor and friend to Anakin pretty much since he's been with the Jedi.
blkmage

Postby EireWolf » Mon May 30, 2005 6:31 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Dooku knew Palpatine was Sidius right? Why`d they have hm kidnapped? I guess I should watchg Clone Wars....

The way I understood it, Palpatine arranged the whole thing. He was manipulating events the entire time. He even manipulated the Jedi to get Annakin close to Padme, in episode 2. I'm thinking he sensed Annakin's feelings for her, and knew that he could use those feelings to his advantage if he played his cards right. He had his eye on Annakin since he was a little kid.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Ashley » Mon May 30, 2005 7:09 pm

I think you could go even further than that. He ordered the entire clone army (which took what, like 20 years to make? Something insane like that?), so they would be ready to overthrow the jedi when the time was right. And he told Amidala to move for a vote of no confidence in him at the beginning of 1, which was even before the army--this means this plan has been in the making since waaaaaaay back. I agree with Eire in thinking he sensed in Anakin (and his feelings for Padme) the perfect ending for his ideal future, and seized on it. Although, it makes me wonder that if he could see ALL that (Padme and Anakin, Padme getting "ill" so Anakin would want to follow him, etc) why didn't he see Luke would kill him? XD
Ashley

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon May 30, 2005 7:25 pm

I find this thread disturbing..... This was such an awesome movie on so many levels: yet all of you seem to want to do is nitpick at 'the acting, the dialogue, plotholes, and other stuff' when it doesn't really matter in the first place. Since when is ANY movie perfect? I think this one is unfairly getting more flak because it's such a famous series. I love the entire saga. I could take any movie, and video game, any anime, and I could type up a huge list of the flaws in each and every one, and they wouldn't be any longer or shorter than Ep 3. Or 1 or 2 for that matter.

I did not think the acting was corny, nor did it even cross my mind that any of the dialogue was 'bad'. Again, I feel as if alot of people are trying to find ways to judge it. I don't really understand why some people can't just enjoy something for what it is rather than making a 21 PAGE THREAD AND COUNTING where 90% of the posts are dedicated to picking it apart?

It's just a movie, people.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Arnobius » Mon May 30, 2005 7:31 pm

Ashley wrote:I think you could go even further than that. He ordered the entire clone army (which took what, like 20 years to make? Something insane like that?), so they would be ready to overthrow the jedi when the time was right. And he told Amidala to move for a vote of no confidence in him at the beginning of 1, which was even before the army--this means this plan has been in the making since waaaaaaay back. I agree with Eire in thinking he sensed in Anakin (and his feelings for Padme) the perfect ending for his ideal future, and seized on it. Although, it makes me wonder that if he could see ALL that (Padme and Anakin, Padme getting "ill" so Anakin would want to follow him, etc) why didn't he see Luke would kill him? XD

He didn't. Darth Vader killed him-- that's probably what he didn't forsee
Arnobius

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Mon May 30, 2005 7:45 pm

I think I'm going to elaborate on certain aspects:

Story: This was, for me, one of the most moving films I have ever seen... I almost cried at the end when Anakin burst into flames, and was later shown being transformed to the Vader we know today. I would definately say this is the best written film in the series. For me, what really touched was that, Anakin was a good guy, with very good intentions, but yet, he was deceived into embracing evil because he was afraid of losing everything he cared about and had a lust for higher power.... only to discover that the cost of power was too great... everything he wanted to protect was ultimately destroyed by his actions.

That alone made the film believable and emotional for me because I have seen the exact same the happen to Christians. It is possible for a strong Christian to become deceived by the lies of the Enemy and fall into darkness, away from God, and destroy their lives. Anakin chose the path to evil and suffered. He achieved power.... but lost his soul.

The violence.... the kids being slaughtered..... I would have not taken any of it out. I believe those scenes further contributed to the realism, horror, and emotion of the story. I don't believe Anakin really wanted to do any of that in the beginning.... but when he played a direct part in Windu's death.... that was when his heart began to turn truly cold. For him, there was no turning back. Each act commited by him got even worse..... (the slaughtering of the kids) and each time, his heart grew darker.

I believe this film is a masterpiece. Lucas' finest work.

Romance: I can't believe that people are wasting breath commenting about the scenes with Anakin and Padme.... aren't virtually ALL Hollywood romance scenes corny and unrealistic? You expected this one to be different?

NOOOOO!!!!!: I thought the scene was very appropriate..... when Anakin realizes the horror that he has fallen into and the agony of losing the one he cared about most, did you really expect him to be silent?

Speaking of which: Anakin attacking Padme wasn't a contradiction. It simply goes to show that he had fallen so far that he lost all compassion, and was even willing to hurt the one he cared about most.

Complaints against the movie being cheesy, filled with plot holes, being contradictory, wooden acting, and ect: Name me one perfect movie that has none of those things. So why rail on this one?
Azier the Swordsman

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment