Episode III "Seen It" Thread ***SPOILERS***

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Scribs » Thu May 26, 2005 1:49 pm

Actually, he begins to change the heavy lightsaber vision after ANH. You'll notice that Vader fights Luke at the beginning with only one hand.

actually, I just read something lucas wrote about that right after RotJ, apperently that scene was directed by someone other than Lucas, and he was quite annoyed with how it was done
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby FadedOne » Thu May 26, 2005 2:02 pm

*pops into thread merely to join the throng of 'seen the movie' people*

*grin*

Noon today. yay that was fun! I want to see again, lol.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 26, 2005 2:51 pm

blkmage wrote:Actually, he begins to change the heavy lightsaber vision after ANH. You'll notice that Vader fights Luke at the beginning with only one hand.

His reasoning for the TPM superduel was that he wanted to show how Jedi fought in their prime. Of course, the fact that Dooku was a powerful old Jedi and Obi-Wan was also an old powerful Jedi doesn't help the glaring differences in dueling style.

Well, Sith made better use of the advanced technology to make it look good (Lucas seems to have learned that tech without technique is no good). The tech was more limited during the first trilogy.

I recall in one "Making of" special the first time they ever showed the original "Star Wars" on Network TV, they mentioned that Mark Hamil studied some Kendo to make the saber duels look better.

And when I was a kid, I figured Vader could fight with one hand because he was super strong.
Arnobius

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu May 26, 2005 4:09 pm

I have a general Star Wars question that doesn't directly relate to the topic, but I was reminded of it by Shatterheart's most recent post. Those of you who place The Empire Strikes Back high on your list: why? This is a common trend, and I'm curious.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Thu May 26, 2005 4:18 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I have a general Star Wars question that doesn't directly relate to the topic, but I was reminded of it by Shatterheart's most recent post. Those of you who place The Empire Strikes Back high on your list: why? This is a common trend, and I'm curious.

I think it seemed to have the deepest chara development of all six movies, and brought about the closest sense of sympathy for the characters. Plus, at the age I first saw it, it was really intense.

I guess it seemed to go beyond the "Let's blow things up and wreck stuff" mentality the other movies seemed to have (fair or not, that was the rep the movies had back in the '77 to '83 era)
Arnobius

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu May 26, 2005 4:36 pm

I still rank A New Hope as my favorite of the six films, it started the whole thing off and I appreciate the simplicity and sense of fun that it has. I would probably rank Empire in second place though.

In response to UC's question, I liked The Empire Strikes Back because it was darker than ANH, it began the Han and Leia romance, the characters were fleshed out, it included the battle of Hoth, and it introduced my fave liddle green guy, Yoda ^_^

Empire's popularity might also be at least partly attributed to the infamous plot twist that really isn't much of a twist anymore because it's been spoofed and or copied way too many times and pretty much everyone knows about it, though I'm sure it was pretty shocking back in the day.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Stephen » Fri May 27, 2005 1:15 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157722,00.html

Nearing 200 million. Woo. I hope it sets an all time record just to annoy the haters of Star Wars.
Stephen

Postby Ashley » Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Or to knock Titanic off. I hope I can contribute to the "phenomenon" again this week. :rock:
Ashley

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri May 27, 2005 1:52 am

I wish I was George... He get's the money right? Well I want to be who ever is getting that money.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Fri May 27, 2005 10:11 am

Yeah, I heard Lucas financed it all himself. Like he took out loans on the originals so he'd never have to give up the rights. Which makes me slightly angered, because now I can't blame bad marketing on anyone but him....
Ashley

Postby John316 » Fri May 27, 2005 12:04 pm

[quote="Crusader X"]Does anyone else find it funny that Obi-Wan's statement itself is an absolute?

No wonder the Jedi fell. Their philosophy was full of holes and contradictions. ]

Exactly:
"Do, or do not; There is no try."

No absolutes, eh?
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
John316

Postby Arnobius » Fri May 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Ashley wrote:Yeah, I heard Lucas financed it all himself. Like he took out loans on the originals so he'd never have to give up the rights. Which makes me slightly angered, because now I can't blame bad marketing on anyone but him....

I heard it a little different. He agreed to a low salary for directing in exchange for the marketing and merchandising rights. At the time, it was considered rather risky. It certainly paid off.

As for the loans, maybe it's true but I thought it was studio financed because I recall he had to try to sell it to the execs, which meant doing the middle part of the nene part story he envisioned.
Arnobius

Postby Myoti » Fri May 27, 2005 12:58 pm

Just got back from seeing it. Overall, I thought it was pretty good (despite some acting problems...), and it wrapped up one of the world's greatest series in a quite satisfying way.
Myoti

Postby Arnobius » Fri May 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Shatterheart wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157722,00.html

Nearing 200 million. Woo. I hope it sets an all time record just to annoy the haters of Star Wars.

What makes it more notable is that forecasts indicate that between Tivo and DVD players, they are expecting this to be a less profitable summer than the last two, so if Sith can drag people out to the theater in that context, think about how much it could have made when people were going more...
Arnobius

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri May 27, 2005 7:28 pm

Saw Revenge of the Sith last night and I thought the movie was great! The imagination and the art design was fantastic! The emotion was more real and the darker, more mature atmosphere really suited it. I especially enjoyed the inguana like-creature Obi-wan rode. Thant was great! I would have liked to see more fighting in the marshes and the jungle planets and a little shorter lava fight, but overall the movie was very good!

My favourite to least favourite:

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. A New Hope
6. Phantom Menace
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 27, 2005 10:05 pm

Shatterheart wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157722,00.html

I'm with Ashley: I just want to see Titantic down a notch.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Fri May 27, 2005 10:07 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I'm with Ashley: I just want to see Titantic down a notch.

I know I certainly didn't see the appeal. I was in agreement with the people who wore the shirts reading "The boat sank. Get over it."

Remember this old list?

Why Star Wars Is Better Than Titanic
1. The Titanic is big, but it doesn’t have hyperdrive.
2. Yoda could’ve used the Force to lift Titanic out of the water.
3. Leia is a princess, a senator, a freedom fighter, and Jedi material. Rose is just marriage bait.
4. Ewoks throw better parties than either first class or steerage.
5. When flying towards the Titanic, Wedge couldn’t say, “Look at the size of that thing!â€
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Sat May 28, 2005 9:40 pm

Well I just saw it again tonight with my little brother (I say little...the kid's 15 and got 4 inches on me). I loved it just as much this time around, if not more. Because now I noticed a lot more of the little details. For example, the light on Vader when they put him back together makes the symbol of the Empire. His shuttle's window when he arrives on the lava planet has TIE-shaped windows, not the sleek, smooth republic ones. Obi-wan picks up his lightsaber--and in episode 4, gives it to Luke. I didn't notice the youngling who fought while Organa was near either. So all in all, another rockin' time. I'm glad to contribute to the 260+ million mark. XD
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 28, 2005 9:53 pm

I remember that youngling. That was the only youngling thing that disturbed me (the others were kind of obscured), because they shot that poor kid in the head.

I noticed a lot of the ships were kind of making the transition between Republic and Empire. Ships looking like early star destroyers, proto tie fighters. Then the ship R2 and 3PO were put on at the end of the movie was the one from the beginning of ep4.

Like I said earlier, I think Lucas learned from the audience complaints from 1 and 2 and really made it work
Arnobius

Postby blkmage » Sun May 29, 2005 5:07 am

That youngling was not a youngling, he was a Padawan. You can tell because younglings don't fight with lightsabers yet and the kid had the Padawan braid.
blkmage

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 8:23 am

blkmage wrote:That youngling was not a youngling, he was a Padawan. You can tell because younglings don't fight with lightsabers yet and the kid had the Padawan braid.

I'll accept the first (my lack of knowledge of the significance of the braid made me unaware of that), but remember the security tape when they found the dead younglings. They WERE fighting Vader with lightsabers as best as they could.

Or at least that was how I interpreted the scene...
Arnobius

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 29, 2005 9:33 am

..... i saw the movie yesterday

and wow.... it was.... like.... not so good

the voice acting... TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE. McGregor's voice acting was a TAD bit choppy at some moments, but overall he was good.... but Hayden Christensen... oh my freaking gosh... he cannot speak at ALL.... his voiceacting was TERRIBLE.... and the whole "love scenes" with him and padme stunk... padme stunk as well.... c-3po wasn't as annoying... r2d2's beeps didn't seem to be like him talking... more like... random obscure beeping.... the driods... what the crap.... they act more like animals.... the weird ball droids that messed with the ships in the beginning.... those were so retarded.... the battledriods stunk as well... they didn't seem fit for battle... the way they talked... the way they moved... they were too "comical"... or attemped to be comical

again... hayden christensen... worst actor ever.... i dispise him... natalie portman... shes dumb too... the story was excellent i will say, and i LOVED when James Earl Jones spoke.... i also loved seeing antilles father, the young grand moff tarkin, the young owen and beru... and the previous blockade runner (or was it THE Tantive IV? Or some other previous ship?)

i give the movie 6 out of 10... doesn't beat the old trilogy AT all.... not even like... ETS... which was my least favorite old trilogy movie... (which means i still love it)

so i still go by the 6>5>4>3>2>1....
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sun May 29, 2005 9:36 am

Hayden was a much better actor in this then Clones! I thought it was a huge improvement and yes there was wooden dialogue but much less (because more action).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby blkmage » Sun May 29, 2005 11:47 am

It was the Tantive IV. It looked a bit different though. I don't think that Captain Antilles was related to Wedge Antilles.

And yeah, those battle droids really should be talking through bluetooth or something.
blkmage

Postby Ashley » Sun May 29, 2005 3:54 pm

By the way, MSP, you know voice-acting only applies to anime and foreign films, right? If it's real life...they just simply leave it at acting.

And I *still* argue that all the Hayden Christensen criticism is mostly fluff. These same people called Yoda the heart and soul of the movie, so clearly their judgement is a tad off. ;)
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 4:19 pm

blkmage wrote:It was the Tantive IV. It looked a bit different though. I don't think that Captain Antilles was related to Wedge Antilles.

And yeah, those battle droids really should be talking through bluetooth or something.

I never knew the ship had a name.. With Antilles, I wondered since this was 19 years before New Hope. Maybe a relative?
Arnobius

Postby EireWolf » Sun May 29, 2005 4:58 pm

Mith and I saw it yesterday. I thought it was great, except for some sub-par acting and some plot holes that have already been mentioned here at least a dozen times already.

My biggest complaint about the movie was that Padme was relegated to being nothing but the pregnant wife. In the first two movies, she was strong and admirable. In Revenge of the Sith, she's just a docile, weak "little woman." The only time she shows even a hint of her former strength is when she goes to the volcanic planet and tries to convince Annakin to renounce the Dark Side. Other than that she's just a doe-eyed secondary character who gets to wear cool outfits.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 5:09 pm

EireWolf wrote:Mith and I saw it yesterday. I thought it was great, except for some sub-par acting and some plot holes that have already been mentioned here at least a dozen times already.

My biggest complaint about the movie was that Padme was relegated to being nothing but the pregnant wife. In the first two movies, she was strong and admirable. In Revenge of the Sith, she's just a docile, weak "little woman." The only time she shows even a hint of her former strength is when she goes to the volcanic planet and tries to convince Annakin to renounce the Dark Side. Other than that she's just a doe-eyed secondary character who gets to wear cool outfits.

I noticed she had been cut waay back. Well, at least Jar Jar didn;'t even get a speaking role this time...
Arnobius

Postby lionheart » Sun May 29, 2005 5:34 pm

(Revised) My problems with episode 3:

Using relativist propaganda throughout the film, despite non-relativist comments made in the earlier star wars films:

Chancellor Palpatine: Good is a point of view, Anakin. And the Jedi point of view is not the only valid one. The Dark Lords of the Sith believe in security and justice also, yet they are considered by the Jedi to be. . .

Obi-Wan: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic … to democracy.

Anakin: If you’re not with me, you’re my enemy.

Obi-Wan: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

Obi-Wan: Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil.

Anakin: From the Jedi point of view! From my point of view, the Jedi are evil.

I can see it now.....
Obi wan: Only the sith deal in absolutes.
Anakin: Do you believe that absolutely?
Obi wan: Uh...

In the count doku fight, they left themselves so open to attack it wasn't funny.

(Removed)

Anakin had the emotional stability of someone in their early teens. (rewritten)

Grevieus's cough made him look/sound like an idiot. (Kindly explained by Shatterheart)

The droids had too much personality and too little brains.

Count doku died without much of a fight. (rewritten)

Mace windu died without having time to fight back. (personal dissapointment)

If only they had fixed those, it would have been a much better movie in my opinion.
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Well, the senate was empty at the time
Arnobius

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment