Episode III "Seen It" Thread ***SPOILERS***

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat May 21, 2005 5:08 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:It was funny. People being upset about the PG- 13 rating. What did you expect? It's supossed to be the darkest of the films. Besides the Yuonglings had to die because of the stroy anyway. That was so horrible. Those poor children. THe one boy who protecting, whom beleive was Organa... *Sob*

i wasn't upset by the rating being PG-13 rather than PG... I've seen R movies that were supposedly rated R for violence that weren't as violent as this movie... I'm upset there were children watching it... I really think this could have gotten an R rating, to be honest. It would have been a "low" R, like the first matrix, but an R nonetheless...

Also, I must say some of the light saber and droid staff (whatever those things are called) battles gave me a headache... It's moments like that I want to scream out "PikaCHUUUUUUUU!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 21, 2005 5:37 pm

EVen the Temple of Doom got PG.

Maybe it's because there wasn't blood every where and we didn't actaull see him kill the children if I remember right.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Yojimbo » Sat May 21, 2005 5:41 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:i wasn't upset by the rating being PG-13 rather than PG... I've seen R movies that were supposedly rated R for violence that weren't as violent as this movie... I'm upset there were children watching it... I really think this could have gotten an R rating, to be honest. It would have been a "low" R, like the first matrix, but an R nonetheless...

Also, I must say some of the light saber and droid staff (whatever those things are called) battles gave me a headache... It's moments like that I want to scream out "PikaCHUUUUUUUU!!"

You didn't actually see the kids getting slaughtered by him so there was no need to give it an R rating. Considering the language is Disney style squeaky clean and there is no sex or drug references a PG-13 rating is appropiate as far as this goes. When I was six I cried in Old Yeller when Yeller was shot and they didn't show it. Does that mean Old Yeller should of gotten a PG rating instead of G?;) And it wouldn't really be a good idea to exclude an entire generation from the movie. Personally that scene didn't phase me, because they didn't show it and I expected it.

Anyway I saw it this morning and loved it best of the prequels by far. I've always loved Palpatine from ROTJ to this one. Every scene with him, except for his one cheesy line after he got electrocuted, was really well done. Ian can still fight 20 years later.:thumb: Hayden was better this time around obviously good to see he finally went all out evil and wasted some innocents Vader style. I didn't like the fact, like others mentioned, that his transformation from confused and doubtful to almost full blown butt smooching Sith Lord was so abrupt. But whatcha gonna do with 2 and a half hours? Padme was ehh... do I need to say anything that hasn't already been said. Battles...please best of all time in movie history well at least up there. A fitting end for the Lucas Star Wars movie saga. Now where's the TV series?:)
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 21, 2005 5:43 pm

Nice thing about Lightsabers: hardly anyblood.

Hayden is a better acting if he's given a silent role methinks. Least Jar Jar was quiet.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Sat May 21, 2005 7:06 pm

I sorta agree with Bob about the rating system. Heck seeing Anakin burst into flames and just sort of wiggle around down there while Obi Wan lectured him made me want to puke, and I'm an adult with movie "experience". I too thought about all those stupid voice changers and lightsaber spoons and lego sets that were meant to draw kids in...and that made me mad. I think it was a bit strong for PG-13...or at the very least, they shouldn't have marketed it to children. Yes, I know it's the parents responsibility...but I guess I have against it the same feelings I have for Britney Spears. Music aside, she markets herself like an adult entertainer to children, and to me that is pretty sickening.

I still love the movie however, I just hate the way hollywood played it.
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:EVen the Temple of Doom got PG.

Maybe it's because there wasn't blood every where and we didn't actaull see him kill the children if I remember right.

Temple of Doom got PG because PG13 didn't exist back then. That and Gremlins was responsible for the creation of the PG13 rating

"Red Dawn" became the first movie released with a PG13-- kids with AK47s killing people. Imagine the outcry today... :sweat:
Arnobius

Postby Jeikobu » Sat May 21, 2005 7:19 pm

JediSonic wrote:The "NOOOO" bugged a me a little when I saw it come outta Vader. But then, you can picture James Earl Jones saying most of anakin's lines even slightly the same way Hayden Christensen says 'em!

To be honest, it didn't bother me at all. I mean what are you supposed to say in that situation? "What the heck?! What?! Why me?! Why?! Why?! Why??!!" :P I think it's good just as it is.
JediSonic wrote:Overall I thought it was a great movie... better than episodes I and II put together

Yeah, that's what I think. I mean Phantom was pretty good and Clones was very good, but Revenge beats both of them down easily.
JediSonic wrote:The thing w/ yoda talking about quigon at the end seemed kinda 'random' and unexpected. However, after I thought about it there is some important irony there. The whole reason Anakin wanted more power and ultimately turned evil was so he could keep people from dying. The real secret to immortality, though, seems to be accessible only to good people! Now that we get the "big secret" it makes more sense how in Episode IV Vader kinda steps on Obi's cloths in seeming disbeleif. I also remembered what Palpy said of Darth whats-his-name: "he could save others but not himself". As I heard him say those lines in the movie, I remembered that people said exactly the same thing about Christ.. for 3 days. Force theology is so weird.

Interesting views. I personally didn't like that whole bit about Qui Gon "finding the secret to immortality". It just seemed dumb in a way (like he found the fountain of youth or something :P), plus it just didn't seem needed. I mean with Obi Wan, Yoda and Darth's spirits showing up, I always figured they were dead but still able to communicate with the world. I prefer to continue seeing it that way. Besides, we all know there's only one way to immortality. ]Even at 57 years old, John Williams is clearly still a heck of a great composer! Even though much of the music in ep. III was kinda remixes of the old stuff, it was still good. There was a new "episode III theme" as I've dubbed it that plays near the climax and at the credits. IN-CREDIBLE. I also thought Duel of the Fates was used quite appropriately in the final fight scene too.[/QUOTE]
Williams is easily one of the best American composers hands down. He is one gifted person. I love his music. Scores like the Patriot and Jurassic Park are incredible, and of course Star Wars is as well. I did notice alot of remixed stuff, but it ended up working nicely. I wonder what Williams will be shooting for now. It's still weird to think that the Star Wars films are over. o_O

Shao Feng-Li wrote:Least Jar Jar was quiet.

lol, I took note of that, and am greatful. I mean Jar Jar is ok (though often annoying), but his goofiness would've broken the momentum of the drama. He already made Episode I feel very goofy and comical-like for alot of it (and a little of Episode II), so he didn't need to do it to this one.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 21, 2005 7:26 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arnobius

Postby Jeikobu » Sat May 21, 2005 8:15 pm

lol!

w00t! I won the original VHS trilogy off of eBay! I can't wait to see them again, especially unaltered. *knees Lucas in the gut for not releasing the original versions on DVD*
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

Jeikobu

Postby Kenshin17 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:17 pm

It was awesome. Period. The action was great, Padme was cute, and yes Anikan was much better acted then Episode II (I liked the first two however). I especially liked the Clones and the wookies. The fight bettween Obi-Wan and Anikan was the best lightsaber fight ever, if it was a bit sad.

I have just one thing to say:
Anikan is just stupid. I mean come on, he has got like the cutest girl in the galaxy and he tries to choke her. More then that he goes and breaks her heart. That is one stupid guy.

Ok Thats my biggest beef. The move rocked. Peace out :rock:
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Jeikobu » Sat May 21, 2005 8:21 pm

It just shows how horrible it is when one allows himself to be consumed with evil and hatred. Look what horrible things he did when he gave in to evil. He thought doing so would save Padme, and it ended up killing her. It shows how easily one can be deceived if he allows it, and what horrible things it does to him and others.

Jeikobu

Postby Ashley » Sat May 21, 2005 8:30 pm

AnimeHeretic, you are about to live up to your name. I can't believe you descecrated that marvelous scene with that disgusting creature.

I had to remind my mom what happens to Vader in ROTJ after Ep 3. She was so upset about Vader...I had to remind her it's a story of redeemption for him too. ^^
Ashley

Postby Kenshin17 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Shatterheart wrote:Because the kids were raised in adopted homes. Leia was talking about Mrs. Organa.

Here is my two cents on this subject. If you recall all Leia says she remembers is Images and feelings, like one would have from someone explaining someone to you. I prefer to think the memories she has of her mother where given to her by her adopted parents.
A nightingale in a golden cage
That's me locked inside reality's maze
Come someone make my heavy heart light
Come undone, bring me back to life
It all starts with a lullaby
Kenshin17

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 21, 2005 8:43 pm

Ashley wrote:AnimeHeretic, you are about to live up to your name. I can't believe you descecrated that marvelous scene with that disgusting creature.

I had to remind my mom what happens to Vader in ROTJ after Ep 3. She was so upset about Vader...I had to remind her it's a story of redeemption for him too. ^^

Wasn't mine-- came from a website (that I'll leave unnamed to protect the younger members). Besides, Lucas already desecrated it by changing the Anakin...

So, have I somehow become the pro wrestling style villain of the thread or something? :lol:
Arnobius

Postby JediSonic » Sat May 21, 2005 8:50 pm

I originally felt that Lucas "desecrated" the scene w/ anakin too.. But tonight I watched ROTJ again and it seemed messed up the old way now that I saw Revenge of the Sith! :P
JediSonic

Postby Omega Amen » Sun May 22, 2005 1:03 pm

I seem to be a little late coming into this thread, but I feel like I should still share some of my impressions.

First, this movie does help explain or elaborate on a few moments in the original three films. Specifically, in Empire Strikes Back, when Vader tells Luke "Do not make me destroy you", I now see that as more sincere remark from a father (at that point Vader's only reminder of his love for Padme is in Luke), and the following duel between Vader and Luke even vaguely parallels the final duel between Obi-wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith.

Another moment is Vader finally overthrowing Sidious in ROTJ. Not only was that act could be seen as a father protecting his child, but it now can also be seen as Anakin realizing the full extent of Sidious' betrayal to him. In the prequels, Sidious/Palpatine practically is the only consistent supportive father figure to Anakin, and he basically promised him that he would help save Anakin's wife and children. With that in mind, in ROTJ, Sidious does not even hesitate to try to kill Luke right in front of Vader. Imagine at that moment how betrayed Vader felt at that moment!

As for the conversion scene in Sith, I was frustrated at how quickly Anakin accepted Sidious as his master. I thought I saw a scene cut out somewhere, like a very short but important scene. I was expecting Sidious to soothe Anakin after the traumatic fight and explain to him that Windu's actions shows that the Jedi will eventually turn on Anakin just like they were about to do to him. Then Sidious could make the deal that if Anakin becomes his apprentice, he could help him do everything necessary to ensure his safety and his family, just like Sidious has been doing all those years already. This could easily been done with a few revised lines and maybe 30-60 seconds of extra film time.

For the lava-burning Anakin scene where Obi-Wan did not put him out of his misery, the only way I can rationalize Obi-Wan's actions is with a strict adherenece to Jedi code. The Jedi do not strike down an unarmed opponent, period. Anakin was literally unarmed (and unlegged) at that point. Therefore, Obi-Wan, as a true Jedi, does not put Anakin out of his misery. But then, isn't Obi-Wan acting on an absolute there? Seems to me that shows even more why Anakin is so suspicious of the Jedis and their philosophy and even justifies his hatred for them at that point. And who saves him? Sidious, not Obi-Wan.

I could probably write an essay on Anakin's actions for the whole Star Wars films as being driven as a man who wanted to have a real family (which he never had but wanted) and to ensure they would never be harmed or broken up by anyone. A well-intentioned young man who tried to realize a good life for himself and his family, but felt that he would never get the support or trust of his peers (the Jedis) and even feared of them betraying him, and sought shelter and guidance with a pseudo-grandfather figure who expressed support for him the whole time (Sidious/Palpatine).

Oh yeah, I believe the R2D2 pyromaniac scene was awesome too. R2D2 is the best android character ever after that scene.
AnimeHeretic wrote:So, have I somehow become the pro wrestling style villain of the thread or something? :lol:
Well, after seeing the prequels, I am pretty convinced that the Empire deserves to be called a better form of government that deserves more support in the Star Wars Universe than the Republic or Rebellion by leaps and bounds. I have little respect for the Jedi (had a lot of respect for them before the prequels, by the way). I might end up being more of a villain in this thread than you would, depending on how the Princess Shepherdess, Miss "Cinnamon Bun Hair" Ashley, reacts.

*gives the stereotypical evil Sith Kung Fu master laugh.*
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Found them!

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 1:09 pm

A long time ago, a guy named Toastyfrog wrote some pretty funny "thumbnail theatres" and had them online.

Unfortunately they were pulled a long time back. Going over my old files I found I had them saved to disk, so I thought I'd pull them and send them via a zip file. Hope you like them...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arnobius

Postby blkmage » Sun May 22, 2005 1:38 pm

Too much was cut out.

The scene where Qui Gon actually talks to Yoda as he's meditating (right before Bail Organa comes in) got cut out. Maybe Lucas was hoping everyone would remember the "No! Anakin, noooo!!" from Episode II.

The beginnings of the Rebel Alliance got cut out too, with Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Padme, etc.

I dunno. I found Episode III acceptable. I think the problem was that Lucas was trying to put too much into Episiode III, and some of it got cut out which has the unfortunate side effect of having a few things not make sense at the end.
blkmage

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 1:41 pm

blkmage wrote:Too much was cut out.

The scene where Qui Gon actually talks to Yoda as he's meditating (right before Bail Organa comes in) got cut out. Maybe Lucas was hoping everyone would remember the "No! Anakin, noooo!!" from Episode II.

The beginnings of the Rebel Alliance got cut out too, with Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, Padme, etc.

I dunno. I found Episode III acceptable. I think the problem was that Lucas was trying to put too much into Episiode III, and some of it got cut out which has the unfortunate side effect of having a few things not make sense at the end.

Maybe he's going to do a Peter Jackson and make an extended version? :P
Arnobius

Postby Scribs » Sun May 22, 2005 1:42 pm

Maybe he's going to do a Peter Jackson and make an extended version?

That would be sweet
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Shinja » Sun May 22, 2005 2:37 pm

all i have to say was i was dissapointed that they didnt show darth vader in rehab trying to walk.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby JediSonic » Sun May 22, 2005 2:56 pm

One thing I'd like to see in a starwars movie is 2 sith duking it out with lightsabers, lightning, forcegrips, and flying objects (Vader vs. Luke style)! They'd probably just kill eachother though :P

An extended version for Episode III would be great, but since the DVD will have deleted scenes built in, why bother?
JediSonic

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Shinja wrote:all i have to say was i was dissapointed that they didnt show darth vader in rehab trying to walk.

Maybe try to reconcile with Padme...

"Man! Some pervert heavy breather on the phone!"
Arnobius

Postby Meza » Sun May 22, 2005 3:23 pm

i just saw the movie today and i thought it was cool.My favorite character was General Grieves.He was cool but died in a cheap way by a gun.
www.tuversion.com Reggaeton Cristiano
Meza

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 22, 2005 6:53 pm

I believe I will limit my comments to the story and related issues... or at least those will be my focus.

a variety of people wrote:stuff about Yoda comment to Obi Wan near the end

I am somewhat surprised at how many people said they felt this was poorly explained. When I saw it I thought it made perfect sense]Second, they didn't SHOW it. Yeah, yeah, I know, they probably weren't able to get Liam Neeson to reprise the role, but it would've been nice if they'd shown a five-second cameo of a blue Qui Gonn.[/quote]

kaemmerite wrote:Third, Yoda explained that it was a skill that had to be LEARNED. Hence why Yoda told Obi Wan that he had more training to do. Shiroi mentioned this a bit in her post. Yoda was a pretty big master already, and if you remember, Obi Wan was around with Yoda in the later movies, so Obi Wan could've taught Yoda how to do it. The point is, if you have to learn it, who taught Anakin? Because remember, Anakin was hanging around with Yoda and Obi Wan at the end of Jedi. Come to think of it, if Qui Gonn and Obi Wan were such good pals, why wasn't Qui Gonn at the celebration at the end of Jedi too?

My interpretation: From other lines, we know that all beings join the Force when they die. It strikes me that (this being a movie) they could well have a blue form that does whatever dead people do there. But ordinarily they cannot directly interact with the world (like Obi Wan later does). I thought that this skill allowed a Jedi/Sith to manifest themselves, not give them a form in the first place. Hence, Anakin still exists as a "ghost" but could not just walk up to Luke and start chatting.

termyt wrote:Least favorit line: Obi - "only the Sith see in absolutes"

This makes me curious enough to ask you why.

ShiroiHikari wrote:I was thinking the same thing myself.

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

AnimeHeretic wrote:I don't think that was what Lucas originally meant. I'd call it plot hole...

Ah, but to a fanperson, there can be no plot holes. Instead, we should go to any logical lengths to avoid this conclusion (though in this case, there's at least a plausible explanation).

Raiden no Kishi wrote:Fact is, the Sith are more combat-inclined than Jedi are.

I disagree. If the Jedi actually used all the powers they show at any point (particularly manipulating things with the force... how much would it take to crush the blood vessels to a person's brain?) they would be nearly unstoppable. Considering three different Jedi show the ability to negate or throw back force lightning, it doesn't seem to be a great advantage (it does less damage than a blaster does).

Crusader X wrote:Does anyone else find it funny that Obi-Wan's statement itself is an absolute?

Yes, quite. Can you imagine the line in a different form, though? "Generally speaking, the people that commonly use absolutes are mostly Sith."

Crusader X wrote:No wonder the Jedi fell. Their philosophy was full of holes and contradictions.

Or, rather, the philosophy of Lucas.

Shao Feng-Li wrote:One does not go running like that even more so without holding your belly.

This is inconsequential, but: not necessarily. My mother played volleyball the morning before the night I was born.

This is out of context, but I'll briefly agree with those who stated that they felt Anakin's conversion was too brief. There were also numerous times when I winced at how poorly some Jedi worded things; with a bit of tact most of the plot might not have happened.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 7:02 pm

UC Pseudonym wrote:Originally posted by termyt:
Least favorit line: Obi - "only the Sith see in absolutes"

This makes me curious enough to ask you why.

In light of the attacks on Christian belief and morality, I find it troublesome to see that the *evil* side is attributed to absolutes. I'm planning to see it tomorrow thouigh and if it turns out the quote was taken out of context, I'll retract this.

UC Pseudonym wrote:Originally posted by Raiden no Kishi:
Fact is, the Sith are more combat-inclined than Jedi are.

I disagree. If the Jedi actually used all the powers they show at any point (particularly manipulating things with the force... how much would it take to crush the blood vessels to a person's brain?) they would be nearly unstoppable. Considering three different Jedi show the ability to negate or throw back force lightning, it doesn't seem to be a great advantage (it does less damage than a blaster does).

The jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

The impression I had from the original trilogy was the dark side was using the Force for evil or selfish reasons, while the light side used it for the good of others...
Arnobius

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 22, 2005 7:18 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:In light of the attacks on Christian belief and morality, I find it troublesome to see that the *evil* side is attributed to absolutes. I'm planning to see it tomorrow thouigh and if it turns out the quote was taken out of context, I'll retract this.

Ah, I understand what you mean]The jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

The impression I had from the original trilogy was the dark side was using the Force for evil or selfish reasons, while the light side used it for the good of others...[/QUOTE]

I was speaking from a purely logistical standpoint in terms of raw power, not ethics. But I fail to see how hacking someone in half doesn't qualify as "attack." Overall, I think you are correct in terms of the philosophy of the movies... but I believe that philosophy won't hold water.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 8:16 pm

I'll be sure to post. I'm hoping I won't be disappointed this time. I haven't worried about spoilers being shown here for me, and some ideas sound good and others kind of lame. Hopefully the former outweigh the latter...
Arnobius

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun May 22, 2005 11:00 pm

That's why you don't read a spoiler thread until you've watched the movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:That's why you don't read a spoiler thread until you've watched the movie...

Like I said, I haven't worried-- I don't care THAT much about it...
Arnobius

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment