Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai

Talk about anything in here.

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:30 pm

Wow! I just saw this movie, and it was pretty good! I definetaly need to see more movies by this guy. So, who else here has seen and enjoyed this movie? Any recommendations of other titles?
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:58 pm

I want to se some Kurosawa filmes as well. I guess it's Kill Bill till then.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Razgriz » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:01 pm

I haven't seen it, though I have seen a few others by Kurosawa, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Ran. All of which are highly recommended.
Razgriz

Postby Technomancer » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:53 pm

The ones of his that I've seen have all been very good:

Ran (absolutely his best. An adaptation of King Lear)
Throne of Blood (MacBeth)
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
Stray Dog
Dreams (his last film)
No Regrets For Our Youth
Hidden Fortress (The film that inspired Star Wars)
Rhapsody in August
Dodes'Ka Den
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:43 am

I have seen the Seven Samurai, it is very good. The violence is actually pretty funny, but that's just me. It's a gret movie, and I recommend Yojimbo.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:00 pm

Being used to more modern day movies like 'The Patriot' and 'The Gladiator', the violence looked pretty fake to me. But it was still a good movie.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:30 am

The only kurosawa movie I'd seen is Yojimbo... It's great... I mean, seriously great... Very funny and slick. I really recomend it... The dog, man... The dog... If you rent it, only look at the title, don't look at the back of the box because it ruins one of the funniest scenes... I mean, it's a bit morbid, but very funny...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Straylight » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:23 am

I haven't seen any Akira Kurosawa yet, not even Kill Bill.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:26 am

djnoz wrote:I haven't seen any Akira Kurosawa yet, not even Kill Bill.

Umm...Kurosawa died a little over ten years ago. Are you thinking of Quentin Tarantino?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Straylight » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:26 am

Yeah probably, lol
getting mixed up again
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby MasterDias » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:17 pm

My college library has this. Haven't seen it though. I might check it out sometime.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby DanekJovax » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:30 pm

I've seen both the Seven Samurai and Ran, and both are titles that should adorn my own DVD collection, once I get more of something called money.

I've heard good reports on Yojimbo and the rest of those titles mentioned I haven't heard much of, but given Kurosawa's gift for cinematics, I'm sure all of them are treats to watch, if not outright enjoy greatly.
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Postby SenseiPenPen » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:57 am

I just watched Seven Samurai recently; I enjoyed it a lot! But, it is a little hard to watch it right after watching Kill Bill. There are some cool action scenes in Seven Samurai, but you can tell they're not actually slashing people, as opposed to Kill Bill.... ;)
"How can I ever save the world /on cup-o-soup and student loans?" - Five Iron Frenzy, "Where the Zero Meets the Fifteen"
SenseiPenPen

Postby DanekJovax » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:48 pm

That may be true, buy you're seeing modern camera techniques as opposed to a mid-50's production. Just because you can tell
when something's being faked doesn't mean what's being implied through the story. ;2P

Anyways, it's time for me to start hunting down some vintage DVDs. ;2)
<>< DanekJovax :2) ><>
DanekJovax

Postby Technomancer » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:53 pm

Also, the great gouts of blood in Kill Bill owe a lot to Japanese samurai flicks (see "Wolf and Cub" and you'll know what I mean). Overdone effects of that kind are a staple, but fortunately aren't needed in more serious fare.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Return to General