The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Movie

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Movie

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:11 pm

Is anyone looking forward to this movie? (getting released Friday in the US and the UK, I think) I've never read the book but the trailers look pretty funny.
bigsleepj

Postby Yumie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:21 pm

It looks like one of those movies that will either be:

A. Decently cool, or

B. Incredibly lame

just based on my prior experience with similar movies. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?
Yumie

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:22 pm

I am! I love Marvin :grin: (btw, for those who don't know who he is, he's that white-roundy robot)
Hephzibah

Postby Arnobius » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:47 pm

Yumie wrote:It looks like one of those movies that will either be:

A. Decently cool, or

B. Incredibly lame

just based on my prior experience with similar movies. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

That's my opinion as well. I'm hoping they stay faithful to the book, and not try to dumb down some of the wittier humor in the books.
Arnobius

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:53 pm

The third trailer explaining how a trailer works is awesome! Yep, I'm going to see it!
I've heard its quite different from the books and radioplays but Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay before he died.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Locke » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:00 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:The third trailer explaining how a trailer works is awesome! Yep, I'm going to see it!
I've heard its quite different from the books and radioplays but Douglas Adams wrote the screenplay before he died.

Thats correct! There have been TONS of radio and movie/ tv speacials ( all of them different in there own way)

<-- Big Adam's fan.

Whos wearing their 42 shirts and bringin a towel? whos with me!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby V8Tsunami » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:32 pm

I've heard of the books, but never got around to reading them. Definitely gonna go see the movie, and if I like it I'll give the books a shot. Kinda backwards, huh? :lol:
This message has been brought to you by the Members of the My Job Drives Me Nutz Association. :dizzy::hits_self:lol:

"I probably won't enter heaven nice, clean and neat. More like sliding in sideways saying, man, what a ride" :lol:

@)}~ Carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA moderators.
V8Tsunami

Postby Maledicte » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:03 am

Locke wrote:Whos wearing their 42 shirts and bringin a towel? whos with me!

Hahahaha I should remember to do that.
Maledicte

Postby termyt » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:33 am

My friends and I are going Monday night to see it. It looks really good, not like the lame TV series that came out a while back.

I think your destined to be disappointed, though, Heretic. The books have way too much content to cover in a single movie. Perhaps this is just the first in a series of movies?
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby K. Ayato » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:40 am

I'm planning to go see it next month, after the crowd disperses. I know very little on what it's about, but I hope I can still get the jokes all right.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 am

I don't have very high expectations for it but I'll probably see it eventually.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 pm

I heard that they are definitely going to have the
[spoiler] whale dropping out of the sky scene [/spoiler]

Btw, it should be out in Australia now!! Yippy!
Hephzibah

Postby the_lizardqueen » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:35 pm

It looks visually awesome and the trailer about trailers had me laughing till there were tears in my eyes. But I kinda have a hard time believing that it's going to quite measure up to the books, especially due to the fact that much of the humor is in Adam's descriptions and his usage of words. But if it even comes remotely close I'm sure that I'll be giddily happy :grin:

Talame wrote:Btw, it should be out in Australia now!! Yippy!

It's already out over there? Ooo, lucky ^_^
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Hephzibah » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:01 pm

the_lizardqueen wrote:It looks visually awesome and the trailer about trailers had me laughing till there were tears in my eyes. But I kinda have a hard time believing that it's going to quite measure up to the books, especially due to the fact that much of the humor is in Adam's descriptions and his usage of words. But if it even comes remotely close I'm sure that I'll be giddily happy :grin:

That's true, and its one of the things I think they will either have to leave out or do a bad job with. Hopefully I'm wrong though :P
Hephzibah

Postby Scribs » Sun May 01, 2005 2:33 pm

Well, I saw it yesterday, and was not greatly dissapointed. lots of humor was lost, but it was still a very funny movie. The plot was completely twisted around, and I did not really like all of the changes, but it was still fun to watch. The atheistic attitude was very much present, but as long as you dont use the movie as a source of philosophy, you should be ok.

I give it 3 stars.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 01, 2005 6:28 pm

Having also seen the movie, I'll say that I am disappointed, but would not criticize the film's creators. They had a huge job to do, trying to convert literature with its level of random content into a film with some manner of plot. I am guessing that if this film does well at the box office there will be a series, as there are plenty of threads left hanging loose.

Philisophically, it did indeed reflect Adams' views. Ah well, I had expected as much.

Now, specific comments for those of you who have seen the movie:

[spoiler]This movie suffered from a lack of closure. The books didn't have this problem for a variety of reasons, but this annoyed me somewhat. I would have expected about another half-hour.

In this permutation of the series, I would have to say Marvin was my favorite character. Hence, I loved it when he uses the gun near the end. They did capture his character decently, though I didn't like his robotic form. Someone who has read the books recently, please tell me if these lines were in them (I liked them):
Marvin: I've been talking to the ship's computer.
Others: Yes?
Marvin: It hates me.

In some ways, I felt the movie captured the essence of the books, with its minor and pointless aspects. Generally I don't criticize in this area, but in this movie I felt that the acting for Trillion got in the way of my enjoyment of the movie.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Sun May 01, 2005 6:56 pm

in responce to your question about those lines, I believe they were in the book.

I too wasnt pleased with Marvins shape, I think he should have looked more like bender from futurama.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby termyt » Tue May 03, 2005 11:41 am

the_lizardqueen wrote:But if it even comes remotely close I'm sure that I'll be giddily happy :grin:

Then I believe you shall be giddy upon seeing this movie.

I thought they did a fantastic job of recreating the random silliness of the books with the movie. Obviously, they could put all of the material in the books in the movie without making the movie way too long. Quite frankly, that would have made the movie rather boring as well. Instead, they center on the first two or three books and they still cut a lot of material out.

Before you start to get too disappointed, though, the movie is still packed with very random comedy and lives up to Adams's legacy. I think he would have been pleased. Or at least as pleased as he would with the Hitchhiker's Trilogy in the first place had someone else taken his idea and written it, I suppose.

Anyway, don't go in expecting the movie to be the books, just enjoy it for what it is and I think you will be pleased.
termyt

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 04, 2005 6:36 am

I heard (don't take this as fact, as it is third hand information) that much of the plot for the movie script was actually designed by Adams himself. This did not seem out of place to me, as every other permutation of the series has been different.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Wed May 04, 2005 7:12 am

piloswine wrote:in responce to your question about those lines, I believe they were in the book.

I too wasnt pleased with Marvins shape, I think he should have looked more like bender from futurama.

Did anyone notice the Marvin from the BBC miniseries waiting in line on Vogosphere? I thought that was nice touch.

On the whole I was satisfied with the movie, I expected a number of changes since the book itself would have difficult to convert to the large screen. I did miss some of my favourite lines though. I mean they should have at least done the full bulldozer scene.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby creed4 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:24 pm

Saw the verison on PBS, and I like Duglas Adams... He wrote smoe of the scripts for Doctor Who, can't wait to see it.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed May 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Note to all considering the movie: stay through the credits. I didn't and missed an additional scene.

Technomancer wrote:Did anyone notice the Marvin from the BBC miniseries waiting in line on Vogosphere? I thought that was nice touch.

I was informed after the movie (though I couldn't have noticed, as I never saw the BBC miniseries). Also, I have heard that one of the custom-built planets was shaped like Douglas Adam's head.
uc pseudonym

Postby termyt » Fri May 06, 2005 8:56 am

uc pseudonym wrote:I heard (don't take this as fact, as it is third hand information) that much of the plot for the movie script was actually designed by Adams himself. This did not seem out of place to me, as every other permutation of the series has been different.

He was creditted with the sceenplay, which was confusing for me at first since he's, a-hem, dead.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Locke » Fri May 06, 2005 5:15 pm

termyt wrote:He was creditted with the sceenplay, which was confusing for me at first since he's, a-hem, dead.

He wrote it before he died =]
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Scribs » Fri May 06, 2005 9:48 pm

He wrote it before he died =]

or so they say...

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat May 07, 2005 1:45 am

[quot
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat May 07, 2005 2:06 am

I saw it yesterday and thought it was absolutely unfunny. Didn't even crack a smile once during that waste of money(And I like Monty Python.)

Oddly enough, I was laughing my head off at xXx, starring Vin Diesel... and then I followed that with Princess Mononoke.. and here I am, 5 AM.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Tommy » Sat May 07, 2005 7:45 am

Yeah, I plan on seeing the movie before I read the books.....is that a bad decision?
Tommy

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat May 07, 2005 5:38 pm

In this case, I wouldn't say so. The plot has fairly little to do with that of the books, and having read the books you might dislike some of the changes made.
uc pseudonym

Postby Jasdero » Sat May 07, 2005 10:28 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Note to all considering the movie: stay through the credits. I didn't and missed an additional scene.
ASDFASDF YOU'RE KIDDING?!?!?!? I stayed for a while after the movie ended, wondering if they might show some of those things to the side of the credits. But after a minute, I gave up and left with my brother and some friends, who were all thinking the same thing -- and then did some DDR. x___x Man! That sucks. Majorly.

I second Volt's statement. "WHY DO THEY DO THAT!!!!!"

I read the books last year when a boy in my class was carrying them around with him everywhere, and would randomly come up and put his arm around my shoulder saying, "Katherine.... you should read this book. It'll inspire you to do wonderous things. It's the best book written. Do read it," and walked off. XDD After that, I bought it and loved it. ^__^ It's awesome.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Next

Return to General Entertainment