Favorite Japanese Junk Food

Talk about anything in here.

Favorite Japanese Junk Food

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:00 pm

POCKY
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:23 pm

Roasted Sesame chips (well, Chinese actually). Prawn crackers are pretty good too.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:50 pm

Ala Groucho Marx
Find any moderator online and PM them with "TROLL ALERT" and the'll drop everything they are doing. Then they'll see that you really only have a thread you want to have moved, and everyone will have a good laugh.

*ducks*
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:55 pm

Pocky's not bad.
And as for you, O Philosophical one...:shady:
Ashley

Postby MillyFan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:01 pm

Does anyone know that Pocky has TSP (a poisonous cleaning chemical) in it? I was going to buy some, and then I read the label that listed "trisodium phosphate" as one of the ingredients.

Ugh! :drool:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:21 pm

Look at most of the ingredients of North American foods. *shudder* And the stuff they don't list (hmmm....pesticides). I don't buy Pocky anyways, it's too expensive and tastes like sugary breadsticks. And I can buy better breadsticks (yay Hamilton farmer's market). Now I've got to find out what's in those prawn crackers.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Spiritsword » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:26 pm

Prawn crackers...sounds interesting.

http://www2.msstate.edu/~clo1/prawn/
Spiritsword

Postby MillyFan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:31 pm

I actually liked Pocky until then (ate some chocolate dipped once or twice, mmmmm) LOL. :grin:

Thanks to doukeshi03 from otakuboards for the banner!

First, Ban all the Trolls. . . :bootout:

Hey, whatever happened to "thou shalt not steal" anyway?

Guess which bishounen is my avatar.
MillyFan

Postby Technomancer » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:33 pm

Prawn crackers rule. There's this Korean grocery store downtown that sells them. The squid snacks aren't bad either.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:57 pm

My first introduction to japanese snacks was when I bought my Civic. The guy we bought it from was in a japanese shop (a honda'ya?) and when we bought it he offered us a package of 'cookies.' That was just rude. I was expecting sweet, they were round, glazed and sprinkled with clear crystals. I was expecting butter cookies (gimme a break, I was raised a redneck) and boy was I surprized!
Mithrandir

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:10 pm

Pocky = <3

You can buy it locally now. w00t.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Razgriz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:19 pm

Japanese ice cream bars.
Razgriz

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:24 pm

<3...? w00t...?

Confused...

<3 could be CB, or C8, or even a sideways ice cream cone... As for w00t, I'm probably just too old. :lol: I got accused of being old earlier this week. A friend of mine (who - for the record - is almost 10 years older than I) called me old when I didn't know what 'bling bling' was.
Mithrandir

Postby Mimichan » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:30 pm

The only Japanese snack/junkfood I've tried so far is the Strawberry Pocky they sell at my local grocery store. I think its pretty good. However, now that I know it's got poisonous chemicals in it I'm not sure I'd buy it again. I mean...it wasn't THAT good.

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:47 pm

ive never had pocky before.
Mr. Rogers

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:57 pm

I can't say that I'm experienced in Japanese cuisine--just some leftover sushi my brother-in-law brought home for us once to try. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again. (As a general rule I just don't like seafood much for some reason.)

By the way...

oldphilosopher wrote:Ala Groucho Marx
Find any moderator online and PM them with "TROLL ALERT" and the'll drop everything they are doing. Then they'll see that you really only have a thread you want to have moved, and everyone will have a good laugh.

*ducks*

Didn't you ever hear about the boy who cried "wolf"? *waits for EireWolf to reply* :lol:
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:03 pm

oldphilosopher wrote:<3...? w00t...?

Confused...

<3 could be CB, or C8, or even a sideways ice cream cone... As for w00t, I'm probably just too old. :lol: I got accused of being old earlier this week. A friend of mine (who - for the record - is almost 10 years older than I) called me old when I didn't know what 'bling bling' was.

<3 = heart!
w00t = I don't even know what this means. XD

Nyeheheh, you even call -yourself- old, OLDphil...:lol:

::runs away. far away::
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:33 pm

LOLOLOLOLO

the 'heart' is S2, as far as I know....

OH HOW OLD I HAVE BECOME... DOES NO ONE ASSOCIATE S2 WITH A HEART?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??

Don't worry, SH, I won't come after you with a hammer. A MALLET maybe... No, that would be cruel.... What... ah!!!!!!
Mithrandir

Postby andyroo » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:41 pm

If I cross my eyes it sorta looks like a fancy heart.

About Japanish junk food. I have too many bad memories of that stuff in the second grade. I will stick to the main course and side dishes.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:57 pm

S2 = heart? I guess I kinda see the resemblance...

Yes. Food. Um. I still like Pocky. I uh...well, I've never tried sushi, but that's not really a junk food. At the store where they sell the Pocky they also have some thingies that look like chocolate mushrooms or something...haven't tried that yet.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:57 pm

Yea i never really bought
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby LorentzForce » Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:24 pm

pocky... and pepero... is the history to be buried in time forever, or will the story of a country's financial loss be known to general public around the globe?

tell me the day when Pocky started selling.
LorentzForce

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:07 am

I love sushi! Although that isn't junk food. My favorite asian junk food is Ka-Me Rice Crunch Crackers, Plain. I wish I had a place that would sell more Japanese food.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Psyco » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:18 am

Erm the Japanese dont have much Japanese junk food. They like fruit or american stuff more. Though it has been the cause for more fat people in Japan.

But I would have to say "hi chew" donno if that isnt in Japan but it is gun that runs out insted of going on and on (forgot what you call that).
<insert sig here>
Psyco

Postby Straylight » Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:55 am

Does this count?

Apparently they only have these in the UK
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:57 pm

Okay from now on, everything goes
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby majanthehun » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:12 pm

id have to say i love the pocky, weahter its poisionous or not. and sushi...

mmm... sushi *runs to freddy's sushi bar and picks up a pack, then down to aisle three (on the left 3/4 of the way down) for a box of pocky*
Lord, I don't know where this is going,
Or how this all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

-Newsboys "Lord (I don't know)"
majanthehun

Postby kaze » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:55 pm

has anyone had those koala things with chocolate or strawberry inside? Actually they're pretty much the same thing as pocky but in the shape of koalas... Amai desu! :thumb:
visit my DA and SA pages please~

deviantArt+++クリック+++
sheezyArt++クリック++

夢の中でも ふらふら する。
kaze

Postby MasterDias » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:03 pm

So, am I the only one who has never eaten Japanese food? Where do you buy this stuff? I haven't noticed it at my local grocery stores. Of course, I was never really looking...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Gypsy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:43 pm

Believe it or not, your local Suncoast should have a special Japanese food section right near the anime and manga. There's something weird about seeing edibles in a video store ...

As for me, I haven't brought myself to try any Japanese junk food. I may like their anime ... but I have a feeling I won't like the snacks.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Next

Return to General