Hotel Rwanda

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Hotel Rwanda

Postby oro! » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:20 pm

SO, what did everyone think of this movie?
I was but a four year old when all this killing went on, so I knew nothing. But after watching it, I am so angry and sad that the UN did barely nothing, just like in Uganda with Idi Amin. That madman was allowed to live even after all of what he did, and yet people die for only killing one person.

I am glad that I watched this movie, even though it was so, um , disgusting the way that most Hutu killed the Tutsi with no remorse. I could see no real difference between them.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby the_lizardqueen » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:31 pm

I have really been meaning to see this movie. I've seen some pretty good reviews. Plus I've heard that it leaves the audience with a heightened awareness and concern for the rest of the world, like it's an eye opening experience of sorts.

As for the actual events it's based upon, it definitely brings new meaning to the fact that we live in a fallen world.
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Arnobius » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:35 pm

oro!girl7 wrote:SO, what did everyone think of this movie?
I was but a four year old when all this killing went on, so I knew nothing. But after watching it, I am so angry and sad that the UN did barely nothing, just like in Uganda with Idi Amin. That madman was allowed to live even after all of what he did, and yet people die for only killing one person.

I am glad that I watched this movie, even though it was so, um , disgusting the way that most Hutu killed the Tutsi with no remorse. I could see no real difference between them.

I remember it (the times, I didn't see the movie). After the fact, people asked why nobody did anything, but at the time, it was hard to grasp that a genocide was going.

I think my first clue that it was serious was when the Pope appealed for peace and asked the world to step in. Before then, the news accounts didn't seem that severe, from what I remember. Hard to believe it's been over 10 years since it happened.
Arnobius

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:56 pm

I thought it was a great movie in fact it's on again right now.

Maybe if the only real proven solution that helped to stopping violent guerilla uprisings, child soldier conscripting, and genocide in Africa were still around it never would of materialized like that. I'm talking about Executive Outcomes the private military company aka "mercenaries." They stopped the genocide in Sierra Leone and guerillas that were holding Angola's oil producing hostage. Too bad backlash destroyed most of the organization.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:58 pm

oro!girl7 wrote:SO, what did everyone think of this movie?

I've heard mixed things about, although I haven't seen it yet. Come to think of it I'm still waiting for my hold on 'Shake Hands With the Devil' to come through. What happened was a disgrace, but it should in no way reflect on the many UN soldiers who were there, and who did risk their lives to save others. Unfortunately, I'm also told the movie slurs the reputation of the UN commander Lt. Gen. Dallaire, who was the man in charge of the small observer force.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby oro! » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:58 pm

It shows him in a good light, except that he couldn't do much with what little was sent. HE actually helped all he could

I recommend people to at least learn about this. It is still happening in different parts of Africa right now. that just makes my heart sink. What can I do but pray? Perhaps one day I can help by being there.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:11 pm

That was the problem, he warned his superiors of what was in the air and begged repeatedly for more troops althogh he was ignored. Upon his return to Canada he would later attempt suicide. Fortunately, things are better for him (writing his book helped him a lot) and he was recently appointed to the senate.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby CDLviking » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:44 pm

It was a good movie, but it left me feeling like scum. All the western powers ignored the plight of the Rwandans. The film depicted the UN as toothless, but it did not depict the commander as such. He tried everything he could to help, but was under direct orders not even to fire a shot, even after some of his own men had been killed. It was a very good and powerful movie.
CDLviking

Postby Yojimbo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:17 pm

It's happening as we speak in the Congo right now three million people have died there. It's disgusting really rape is an actual weapon over there to demoralize entire villages and communitys. Read stories about these things going on over there and it'll make you sick...

UN forces have been there for years. French, Malay, Pakistani, Bangladesh are mostly over there but they don't have the greatest rep. Some of the blue helmets have had rape charges against them.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Scribs » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:42 pm

I think that it was the best movie I saw last year. Not the most fun to watch, but the best. It really was truely eye opening. I had never known what had gone on over there. It made me wonder what would have happened had the UN steped up and done something... but now I am getting a bit political... It was the best movie I ssaw last year.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 pm

I saw this movie today

and wow... it was very, very, very amazing!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby truthgone12 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:45 am

I saw it Yesterday. Wow, truly wow.
truthgone12

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:29 am

It was a really powerful and amazing movie. I knew very little about the situation, but the movie really put things in perspective.
TrigunX89

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:09 pm

I saw it and felt enraged that no one would help these people :[
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby oro! » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:16 am

That's how I feel a lot. People just seem to ignore Africa and fighting there, but center news always on the west and middle east. The sad thing is that there is still much fighting going on- in like Ethiopia and Sudan, etc. SO you have to dig hard.
oro!

Postby Scribs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:30 am

yeah, people dont tend to pay attention to conflicts that they are not closely aquainted with. We pay attention to the middle east because of our strong ties to Isreal, and our current military involvement in the area, but Africa gets pushed to the wayside. What really got me in the movie was the news reporters who basically said that noone would really care about the situattion once they turned off their tellivisions. Its so true, americans in general are very good at blocking out unpleasantness if it does not immediatly affect them.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Jeikobu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:17 pm

This movie was disappointing compared to what I was expecting, but was still in itself a great movie and one I would definitely recommend. I'd probably say **** of *****
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Return to General Entertainment