Phantom of the Oprea

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Phantom of the Oprea

Postby KiLaLaGuRl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:00 pm

did any one see that movie? it was so good! lol i can't wait till it comes out of DVD!!!

what was your fav. part of the movie, or your favorite song?
:hug: If U HAvE To BE AnY oNe Be YouRsElf :hug:
KiLaLaGuRl

Postby KiLaLaGuRl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:02 pm

srry
*Opera
KiLaLaGuRl

Postby Scribs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:32 pm

I have not seen this movie yet but would like to. It is a movie version of the broadway show, right?

btw- shouldn't this be in the "In the spotlight section"
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Madeline » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:33 pm

Haven't seen the movie...I started reading the book though.
Madeline

Postby Kewl Girl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:38 pm

I saw the movie I thought it was awesome!!!

It has its 'moments' but otherwise I thought it was really cool (especially the singer)!!!

My fav. song was the theme song or 'phantom of the opera' (or whatever its called..)
Kewl Girl

Location: In front of my computer with my headphones on, trying to drown out the world around me..

Postby KiLaLaGuRl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:57 pm

lol i liekd all the song...srry i didn't know which section to put it in, so if the ppl wanna move it they could. i just didn't know where to put it
KiLaLaGuRl

Postby Kat Walker » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:39 pm

The opening was good, I loved the transition from black and white to color.

Now I'm just waiting for "Cats" to make it's illustrious cinematic debut. ;)
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby Jasdero » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:42 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book a few years ago. >X3 I liked it~
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby White Raven » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:22 pm

I read the book, a long time ago I it was a the newest version at the time. I think I was 9 or 10.
Now I want to see the movie sooo bad. :waah!:
formerly known as ILoveArt

My Deviant Art

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. Dave Barry

bigsleepj wrote: Unfinished stories never leave you, nor do they fester. They only grow better, like wine locked away in a deep dark cellar, waiting for you to bottle it and bring it to the light.
White Raven

Postby Maledicte » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:22 pm

[quote="Kat Walker"]The opening was good, I loved the transition from black and white to color.

Now I'm just waiting for "Cats" to make it's illustrious cinematic debut. ]

Actually, it already did.

And there's already a PotO thread in the "In the Spotlight" section as well....
Maledicte

Postby Orange Kitten » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 pm

I thought the movie was well done and did the play justice. The cinematography was nice, nothing TOO special, but still nice. Transitions were ok, kept simple. Again, nothing special. The wardrobe and set design was probably this movie's best attributes.

I was happy to see that they didn't sway from the original story and kept the scenes intact (but I wasn't too afraid of that, 'cause Andrew Lloyd Webber was the producer)

However, the lip sync was horrid in many spots and was a major distraction for me.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby The Doctor » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:24 am

I thought the movie STILL needed work. Some songs should have been cut and more dialogue added, and some characters needed better development.

Why AL Webber decided to hire Joel Schumacher to direct is a sign of desperation. Schumacher focuses on props and sight effects (which is good)and spends too little time on the story and characters (upon which the life and death of a movie can hang).
The Doctor

Postby Orange Kitten » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:21 am

The Doctor wrote:Why AL Webber decided to hire Joel Schumacher to direct is a sign of desperation. Schumacher focuses on props and sight effects (which is good)and spends too little time on the story and characters (upon which the life and death of a movie can hang).

Have you seen the play?
The script and characters were already written. That's why he chose Joel Schumacher. The script and characters didn't need much tweeking; so then they COULD focus on the props and effects.
Webber wasn't about to give his masterpiece to a director who's gonna butcher it hollywood style.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Maledicte » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:30 pm

not to be mean or anything, but I think it was...^^;;;
I mean, if the movie is going to be EXACTLY like the musical, why bother even making the movie?
Maledicte

Postby Orange Kitten » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:24 pm

[quote="SirThinks2Much"]not to be mean or anything, but I think it was...^^]

Because films offer us more than a play can. Such as Close Ups, different angles, more elaborate set design, etc.

When you watch a play, you're stuck watching it from a 2-D angle. And from a distance. Films get you right up and front to the actor's face. I love going to plays, but films can draw you in easier, imo.

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Lehn » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:08 pm

When you watch a play, you're stuck watching it from a 2-D angle. And from a distance. Films get you right up and front to the actor's face. I love going to plays, but films can draw you in easier, imo.

Plus, there's never been a really decent version of PotO done except for the silent b/w version of it from the 1920s(?). Webber's musical version is actually the closest representation to the actual novel that there's ever been, and even that varied away from the novel at several points.

Imo, I thought it was good. The book was a bit darker, but I thought the film really captured the underlying romance of the entire thing, although Eric’s (the Phantom) character was changed vastly.
Lehn

Postby Ingemar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:29 pm

Orange Kitten wrote:When you watch a play, you're stuck watching it from a 2-D angle. And from a distance. Films get you right up and front to the actor's face. I love going to plays, but films can draw you in easier, imo.
When I saw the musical in LA, I couldn't tell that the Phantom had a problem (then again, we WERE sitting in the balcony and I didn't know at the time that I was nearsighted).
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Heart of Sword » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:27 am

:lol: Then the musical must have been pretty confusing, Ingemar... :P

I haven't seen it and probably won't; but is there anything sexual?
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby Lehn » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:51 am

I haven't seen it and probably won't; but is there anything sexual?

Christine wears some low-cut dresses, and shows some out of place thigh-age but nothing really obscene that will make you want to gouge out your eyes. The dresses are in the period style so of course they are that way, but the thigh-age only happens during one scene in the boat ride, and again towards the end, and that's only for a second because she's falling.

Other then that, nothing was really Hollywood-ized that wasn't (at least to my understanding) in the stage version of it. They still sing Don Juan, which is about a romantic tryst, but it's done metaphorically. And at the end of two songs, the Phantom holds Christine and does some stage motions that are... uh... questionable.... and are meant to symbolize making out.

But the movie is, what, PG-13, right? Nothing is ever shown. Talked/sung metaphorically about, but compared to prime time TV, it's extremely clean and tastefully.
Lehn

Postby Kewl Girl » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:08 am

I agree.. I mean personally I didint like the wardrobe, but thats what people would wear back then, and yeah... the whole 'Christine-Phantom 'scene isnt even that bad... I mean I dont like it, but its not even as bad as some of the scenes I have seen on movies rated PG.....
Formerly Kewl Girl 16

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
:jump: "I say BOO to lust, and DOWN with "hot"!!" :jump: , a quote from Felix.

I suppose I should be puttin this in here to although I dont have much on it yet: http://kewlgirl.deviantart.com/
Kewl Girl

Location: In front of my computer with my headphones on, trying to drown out the world around me..

Postby The Doctor » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:37 am

Well, I'm glad some people enjoyed it, but I thought that the story got little or no attention. Christine's conflict between the Phantom and her lover wasn't fleshed out well enough; sometimes it seemed to be TOO much singing; other stuff I can't remember right now.

I LOVED how the movie began, mind you, but as it dragged on it seemed to lose something, lacked depth.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby KiLaLaGuRl » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:21 am

lol some of my friends think that too. i liked the begining too though. i thought that it was so cool when the organ began to play and then all this wind blew away all the old cob webs and stuff.. and it went back in time! i thought that i was so cool
KiLaLaGuRl

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:31 am

But the movie is, what, PG-13, right? Nothing is ever shown.

*coughTITANICcough* O_O;;;;;;;;; (Just because it's 13+ doesn't necessarily mean that it's not disgusting...)

If it's coming out on DVD soon, I'll probably see it. It doesn't exactly interest me, but I like to make fun of opera *realizes what she just said and runs away to hide in a hole before the PoO fans get her*

(Ooh wait...PoO...Poo...poo...poopies...:lol: )
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Postby KiLaLaGuRl » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:58 pm

ok the poopy thing was really random and weird. but the phantom of the opera was good so you really should watch it when it comes out on DVD
KiLaLaGuRl

Postby Qwilek88 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:47 pm

I loved it, though I thought they could have done a little better. Oh well! My fave song is the overture of the phantom of the opera, can't choose! My fave scene was the candelier raising, so awesome! Glad to meet another phan!
Qwilek88

Return to General Entertainment