Constantine

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby chibi_chan » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:11 pm

I'm sorry I raised such contreverssy i'm not nollegeble enough to answer your questions and. I was just merly stating my opinoin and you guys jump on me and try to pick a fight, if it really makes you that uncomfortebble then don't watch it. I apoligize again for upsetting you.
Also, could you imagine Jesus munching on some popcorn watching this movie and saying 'O wow! Look at that! That was cool! Theology a bit wacked, but still entertaining'

I don't know. To be honest I think this qeustion is rather blasphemous.
happy go luck monkey!
ImageImage

akai tsuki wo nagameteta kara nakitai hodo boku no fuan wa
itsumo kioku no katasumi ni kasabuta mitai ni nokoru yo
itai kurai kirei datta kedo hikari no naka no boku no kage wo
ano takai kanransha de dareka ga waratta ki ga shita

hitsuji no kigurumi wo kita mama yaseta otoko no ko ga odokete
haku iki wo shiroku sasete inoru youni te wo awaseta
ano ko to sora no aida ni wa toumei na nanika ga aru kara
kitto negai wa todokanai sukoshi samuku naru yuuenchi

nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridashita yo

maboroshi no BERU ga nari keshiki ga kasumi daseba
nanimokamo uso ni naru daremo inaku naru

boku no naka no boku wo itsuka katai GARASU bin ni tsumete
hi no ataru niwa no kadan ni koneko to issho ni umeyou
mizutamari ni utsuru kao wa tsumetai ame de gushagusha ni
chigireteitta ato ni tada no iro ni kawaridasu yo

yasashiku gin'iro no ame ga machi no subete ni furisosogu
michi no haji de sagashiteita boku wo yatto mitsuketa
isu no ue ni hana no ue ni ashi ga nai roba no senaka ni
komakai ame ga furisosogu boku no ue ni mo _____.
song: Hontou no Uso by PLastic Tree lyrics:anime lyrics
chibi_chan

Postby Hitokiri » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:58 pm

I recall watching "The Last Temptation of Christ" which portrays Christ as a sinful man who has sexual relations with Mary Magdaline and so on and so forth. Why did I watch this? I'm not sure however I did and I feel bad about watching it, even if it's been a few years.

I know I would feel the same way if I watch Constatine cause to me....it's the same blasphemy portrayed in "The Last Temptation of Christ". To different types of altogether the same. This goes hand and hand with why I think the entire concept of The Matrix movies are basically evil. They are trying to substitue a new Savior to a and I hate to use this term, more "older an doutdated" version in Hollywoods eyes.

Sure, they may be movies and why should you get heated up about it? They're for entertainment. However, it's influence of secular Hollywood that as Christians, we must turn away from the world's conformity. Though not wholly condemn it, we should set our selves on a higher standard. That's why I refuse to watch most Rated R or sometimes PG-13 movies.

And to you chibbi-chan, sorry if I sound like I'm targeting you or if I'm singling you out. However, I wanted to comment on this:

chibi_chan wrote:I'm sorry I raised such contreverssy i'm not nollegeble enough to answer your questions and. I was just merly stating my opinoin and you guys jump on me and try to pick a fight, if it really makes you that uncomfortebble then don't watch it. I apoligize again for upsetting you.

I don't know. To be honest I think this qeustion is rather blasphemous.

In all truthness, he is sitting on our couch with us or next to us in the theators when we watch something. The entire WWJD...well WWJW is more correct. Some of the anime I watch, I few uncomfortable my parents or sister watching but in all honesty, I feel even more uncomfortable or more so ashamed knowing God is watching as well.

You may say, it's just a movie and true it is, but even a movie can affect your walk with Christ. Hopefully justs ome food for thought ^_^
Hitokiri

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:21 pm

This has gotten heated about a movie that doesn't deserve this much heat. It will fall into the annals of moviedom when the next big hit comes in next weekend.:eyeroll: Hitokiri, I would not put this movie in the same category as Temptation of Christ, because well, that was a direct assault on our Lord, unlike Constantine, which is based on a comic book hero - get it, COMIC BOOK HERO!

Anyways, chibi_chan I don't think people are necessarily picking on you. I think they all have opinions which might be contrary to yours and are nit-picky, but they have not been affrontal to you in particular.

I commend you for having an opinion and in your search as a young Christian you will continually have views and opinions that will be solely yours. I appreciate your candor. ;) :hug:

I love you and appreciate how you think things through and don't just follow the pack.

In my opinion, I foresee us going to see this movie and I look forward to the awesome special effects and to look at this and develop my own opinion on this movie based on a COMIC BOOK HERO.:grin:

And people - relax! :eyeroll:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:39 pm

jeez, guys, chill out. it's pointless to fight over something as trivial as a movie. so let's let people who have seen the movie talk about it, and don't fight anymore >_<
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:15 pm

Oh, I could never see movies like this. Give me werewolves, vampires, aliens, un-dead, I can take it. (I don't like it, but I can take it :lol: ) But make me sit through a movie where the main source of terror derives from demons, and I'll run screaming out of the theater like a little girl.

I guess it bothers me because it really exists. I know there aren't vampires coming to suck my blood out, so I can stomache that. But when I watch a movie like this, I get really jittery. Afterall, there's warfare going on all around us. If I think about it too much, I just scare myself silly.

On a lighter note, my mom though this movie was about the historical figure. :lol:
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:On a lighter note, my mom though this movie was about the historical figure.

My pastor thought the same thing! I guess that's what happens when you just see the name and don't see twenty million movie previews.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Shipuh » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:04 pm

mar...i was googling keanu reeves last year...and i watched the trailer WAY before most people had seen it...and i didnt care for it much. im really not interested in watching it either. =/

Hitokiri wrote:This goes hand and hand with why I think the entire concept of The Matrix movies are basically evil. They are trying to substitue a new Savior to a and I hate to use this term, more "older an doutdated" version in Hollywoods eyes.

actually, there was alot they RELATED to christianity in the matrix movies, thats why i can sit through them. (but there is also lots of relation to other world religions and philosophys in it...so you really have to have disernment.)
Shipuh

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:14 pm

I personally preffered League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie over the comic easily. I loved the whole steampunk art decor design and it was one of the few movies I would watch without much of a storyline. Also Alan Moore (creator of LXG) I believe isn't much of a genius at all. The comic had some great ideas but he seems to have to much of a fascination with extreme violence and sex. Yes, I know the comics are for adults but still. I preffered the movie. That said I don't think I'll be seeing this movie as I'm interested in spiritual warfare from a Christian viewpoint.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Arnobius » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I personally preffered League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie over the comic easily. I loved the whole steampunk art decor design and it was one of the few movies I would watch without much of a storyline. Also Alan Moore (creator of LXG) I believe isn't much of a genius at all. The comic had some great ideas but he seems to have to much of a fascination with extreme violence and sex. Yes, I know the comics are for adults but still. I preffered the movie. That said I don't think I'll be seeing this movie as I'm interested in spiritual warfare from a Christian viewpoint.

Ditto. Did more research on the film, and it seems that the portrayal of God isn't one I want to support with my money.

On the other hand, I hope my opinion doesn't sound like I'm condemning the people who saw the movie, since I'm not trying to judge anyone, just put in my $.02
Arnobius

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:10 pm

I checked it out last night, figuring if it was awful at least Keanu would still be hot. It was entertaining, a nonthinking action movie. Akin to sitting down and watching Speed (which I just watched again tonight). I'm not getting anything deep out of it. It's not making me think or moving my heart in anyway. It's just a fun action movie to see with a good girl friend on Friday night.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Keanu Reeves should be banned from acting. The only movie he was convincing in was "Bill & Ted's", since he wasn't acting.

If I were to, say, go out and see a movie... It would need to have this cast:

-Keanu Reeves
-Vin Diesel
-Charles Bronson
-Tom Selleck
-Bert Reynolds
-Clint Eastwood
-Bruce Campbell
-Mifune

The plot has to involve evil robots(from hell)destroying planets with their human-killing lasers. The dialogue must be bad..no, atrocious. Lines like "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" or "No...NO! I didn't let her die! You speak riddles!"
Action scenes are filled with CG. A lot of explosions and an insane ammount of bullets(but the only character who can remotely aim is the main hero).
There's a badly-done swordfight at some point.
Someone mus, *MUST* cut a robot in half.
At some point they all start fighting zombies.
There's a big chase scene that's filmed so shakily you can't tell the main character from yellow.
The title credits are all shiny special graphics with a big orchestral music track.
The designated "bad-boy" will be surrounded by like fifty ninjas, yet somehow escape and kill at least half of them.
Later, he will show up just before the main character dies, and will take the bullet/laser/sword for him and die. (He is, of course, not really dead)
If the cops/army are looking for someone, the very second before they're discovered, the person who is searching for them will be distracted.

Aside from all of these points, the final battle is between Keanu and Vin. The two worst actors ever fighting eachother in a poorly filmed, pseudo-martial arts battle.

You'll have to sit through 15 minutes of credits set to the film's soundtrack. This is the only time that you will hear any of the songs on the CD.
Finally, the extra scene will show that the main villain is still alive. Popular methods are hands moving, and eyes opening.

Now, there is the comic relief guy who is either REALLY moronic, or nerdy-smart. He will get killed by the main-villains cronies.

Someone dies, giving the main character the strength to get up and kill the main bad guy.

This movie is one that will get terrible reviews, yet be the highest grossing film for the summer.

Now, on with Constantine.
Keanu Reeves + Plot - Acting x "I can stumble my way through a script in my low voice" = A bad movie.
So what do we have. It's not Cyberpunk, so it's supernatural.

"I forgot where I parked!"

"If a tree falls and...hmm...birds..."

*Mhm, cough..cough cough hack!*

"If I stop acting, you promise not to fly anymore?"

Neo: "I'm kung-fu Jesus!" [Note; that wasn't meant to be blasphemous. I hated that about the film, but it's just a simple observation of what the creators were trying to do]
Smith: I was in Lord Of The Rings! Notice my lack of long hair!

"No, this isn't Noboru. I think you have the wrong number."

"I didn't know they made water-flavoured Skittles."

"Awright STOP! Collaborate and LISTEN! Ice is back with a brand new INVENTION!"

Okay, enough of that. I don't hate Keanu. Just having fun, okay? I only pick on things I like. Anger doesn't make very funny humour.

About Constantine: Sometimes I go to see movies that I know will be bad, so I can have a good laugh. I'll see it eventually.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:25 am

HOW THE HE
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Arnobius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:54 am

Very true. I try not to support things that have a hostile attitude to things I find important-- unless it looks like there might be a bait and switch leading us to a good ending, fiction or reality.

And as for posting, the advantage to the new (and sadly defunct) way was once you got on, things just zipped along and never hit a database error...
Arnobius

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:28 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:jeez, guys, chill out. it's pointless to fight over something as trivial as a movie. so let's let people who have seen the movie talk about it, and don't fight anymore >_<

::pulls put huge rocket launcher and armed to the tooth with dangerous weapons::

NO ONE TELLS ME TO CHILL!!!!! ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Anyways...after thinking bout this topic and the movie. I will not pass my judgement cause I have yet to see it. Usually thats what I go by and I broke it by what I saw, read, and heard.

However, because of what I have seen, read, and heard...I don't want to see it. Sorry if I seemed so... errr....whatever I seemed. And yes, T_N_C, now that I think about it...Constatine and The Last Temptation of Christ is on to different spectrums yet still portray Christianity (in my viewpoint of what I have seen, read, and heard) as bad.

Now what if instead of Neo being a demon-beating good guy, he was a Demon-beating goodguy yet still bad? He'd kill both demons and angels (just a thought). Would you still see the movie? He is just a Superheo after all.
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:39 pm

Halas wrote:Saw the movie Friday night. Reminded me of someone with a catholic background...suicide being a mortal sin...then without thinking giving up your life so someone else could live...rebirth...

Not quite sure I followed that, though the whole point of classifying things as mortal sin in Catholic theology is to stress how serious something is in the eyes of God and the need for repentance over such an action-- sort of like the parable of the prodigal son coming to his senses and returning home. It's not as the movie would have it something that is unforgiveable, but something that requires a change of heart and conversion.

Kind of similar to the movie Dogma where they misrepresent the concept of indulgences
Arnobius

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:33 pm

Parents saw Constantine. 'Twas a stupid move, they said.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:47 pm

I'd rather have a "biblic
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Twilly Spree » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:49 pm

I am Catholic and checked it out on Friday as well. It wasn't entire acurate, that's true, but it was a work of fiction, based off a comic. I don't take too much stock in that. I enjoyed it, it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen but it wasn't an awful way to spend a Friday night.

You can always just oogle Keanu. ^_^
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Twilly Spree » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:51 pm

Volt wrote:I'd rather have a "biblical themed" movie be completely "inaccurate", or completely "on track". But to be "in-between" only confuses the people who have a potential to become beleivers.

I think a film like the Temptation of Christ is more dangerous in that sense. This is so obviously a work of fiction, I don't think it tries to be anything particularly profound. Well it's too cheesy to be profound anway.....
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Arnobius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:21 pm

Twilly Spree wrote:I think a film like the Temptation of Christ is more dangerous in that sense. This is so obviously a work of fiction, I don't think it tries to be anything particularly profound. Well it's too cheesy to be profound anway.....

Yeah, I remember Last Temptation, where people who were leading youth groups and other religious groups thought it had good messages. Uggh. Jesus of Montreal was another dangerous one, where Jesus is reduced to a nice guy who became a religious symbol.

The dangers in these "cheesy" ones I think are the risks that some people not educated in Christianity might think that the way things are presented are they way things really are.

Finding the right balance is hard: do you risk being too lenient and let something harmful get through or do you get too strict and risk getting labelled as intolerant.
Arnobius

Postby Orange Kitten » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:52 pm

An interesting piece of information about the Last Temptation of Christ I got out of a cinema book, is five Catholics in Paris set fire to a theater that was showing the movie.

Don't think that was the right way to express one's feelings, but nonetheless, it's kinda funny.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Twilly Spree » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:00 pm

Orange Kitten wrote:An interesting piece of information about the Last Temptation of Christ I got out of a cinema book, is five Catholics in Paris set fire to a theater that was showing the movie.

Don't think that was the right way to express one's feelings, but nonetheless, it's kinda funny.

Howdy there OK! Tis the ex-Red Ninja!

That is a little odd I must say, and Parisians aren't usually ones to get in an uproar about things.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Arnobius » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Twilly Spree wrote:Howdy there OK! Tis the ex-Red Ninja!

That is a little odd I must say, and Parisians aren't usually ones to get in an uproar about things.

Maybe they thought it was a McDonald's? ;)
I remember people demonstrating, but not anything violent. Of course, that was a long long time ago. AT first people thought it was going to be an orthodox film, then when they found out otherwise, first offered to buy the film from Oliver Stone.
Arnobius

Postby Joshua Christopher » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:24 pm

"Hmm, no,nope--WAIT! Yup. That's it. Found my car. Now we can all sleep peacefully."
Joshua Christopher

Postby Nate » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:01 pm

Impact Alberto wrote:Neo: "I'm kung-fu Jesus!" [Note]
Smith: I was in Lord Of The Rings! Notice my lack of long hair!

Congratulations, sir. That was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Twilly Spree wrote:You can always just oogle Keanu. ^_^

Nah, for some strange reason, I just don't find him attractive. :P

Yeah, I saw the preview for this movie and figured it would probably have a fairly skewed version of our faith. I don't mind that so much sometimes, after all I saw Hellboy and thought it was pretty good, but this movie just didn't interest me for whatever reason. I won't say that I'm being pressed by God to not see this movie, there's a lot of movies that people liked that I had no interest in seeing (like, say, National Treasure).

At any rate, watch what you want. It's your choice, yo. (Realizes he is merely echoing about thirty other people in this thread. XP)

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby shooraijin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:20 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Maybe they thought it was a McDonald's?

Oh man, I'm still laughing. :lol:
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby K. Ayato » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:23 am

I'm not a K. Reeves fan anymore. He has like no facial expressions.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:12 pm

Constantine 2: The People Versus Satan
Joshua Christopher

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:27 pm

And he'll still be a cutie!
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:04 pm

Impact
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment