Who here is a martial arts buff?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby girlninja » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:39 am

heheheh ^^ *trembles :P ^_^ i'm having fun with it just dead tired....i guess cuz my muscles are re healing and building up it's suckin all my energy dry ^^:::; heh oh anyone know of any good Brazilian jiu jitsu people in their area? ^^
"If not now then when? If not me then who?-anonymous

and of course now i must instill the Dancing BANANA'S!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WHY AM I CRYING IN FRENCH-Vash the Stampede

ORORORORORO!-Himura Kenshin

:jump: :lol: :thumb:

"It is not weak to value human life!"-Raiden, Mortal Combat II

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

*ADOPTED BY* ..yea i know scary I got a adopted ~_^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Cap'n Nick » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:20 pm

I'm usually sore but I'm pretty new. It's been getting less and less stressful.

Ooh! I know a good Brazilian jiu jitsu guy! He owns my school!
Cap'n Nick

Postby girlninja » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:18 am

reallly? ^^ what is his name and school and instructor if you don't mind? ^^ i'm really trying to know more sensei's ^^ from anywhere ^^
heh yea soreness has gone pretty much away for this week but we up the workout next week and in two weeks start RUNNING >< >< >< i can't stand running i will never get used to it or like it for that matter ><

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Nami
girlninja

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:26 pm

His name is Chad Chilcutt. Do you mean the name of the school he runs or the name of his style? His school is just named after him, and his jiu jitsu style is Brazilian/Royce Gracie. I'm not sure if Gracie is his primary instructor or not but he does train with him whenever he can.
Cap'n Nick

Postby youngWilliam » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:21 am

I just did ground fighting last night. I got sat on by a guy like twice my weight. yeeeeaaaahhhhh! my testing is thursday! btw, has anyone ever had a girlfriend/boyfriend that they met in thier martial arts classes?
Knights of the World: To Protect, To Serve, To Jesus Christ.
elifeimpact.com
youngWilliam

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:51 am

I've never had one, but another guy in my class got a crush on a girl after she kicked his butt.
Cap'n Nick

Postby girlninja » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:56 am

LOL
i haven't ever had one ............then again i think most my students *even the adults* are a little afraid of me ><
oh yay WIlliam did you like it??? HOw'd your test go????
hm Capn i'm familiar with Royce......hmm
ick I"m sooooooooo sore couldn't get up and move this morning....neck was hurt from all the stress on my body ><
yay goin to a tourney for jiu jitsu tomorrow ^_^ YAY and I started another level of training ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby KOBUSHInoTENSHU » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:17 pm

My sister and I take Hakkoryu Jujitsu :)
This forum site is a sanctuary..a place of peace..
My user name means 'Warrior of God'

"My child, listen to me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. I will teach you wisdom's ways and lead you in straight paths. If you live a life guided by wisdom, you won't limp or stumble as you run. Carry out my instructions; don't forsake them. Guard them, for they will lead you to a fulfilled life."-Proverbs 4: 10,11,12
Image (USAangelchick went out of her way and made this for me! Love ya!) :thumb:
KOBUSHInoTENSHU

Postby girlninja » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:50 am

Hakorryu jiu jitsu..........japanese style??? or more of a brazilian??

ooo i got 2 nd place in my ghi competition for jiu jitsu ^_^ i'm happy ^^ anyone else compete recently???

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:12 am

how's the training going? ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:19 pm

i've had to stop my training temporarily due to school schedules and work schedules, that plus i've had a really bad cold for the past week, but i've heard that a new muti-style school has opened up nearby that's associated with the UFC, so i might look into taking some "official" lessons there, if anyone else has had any experience with any kind of school that's affiliated with the UFC, please either pm me or post in here as to your opinion, thanks
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Mimichan » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:50 pm

I love martial arts!! I am not financially able to take classes right now..but I did take ITF style Taekwon Do for a few years...I made it to red belt. And though there really aren't any weapons in that style, my instructor also taught nunchucks *sp* and bo staff--not that I'm good at either ^.~ Oh..and we also learned some throws, takedowns..pressurepoints...etc.
I personally would not take TKD again. I am more interested in one of the soft style martial arts like Tai Chi or Kung Fu. Tai Chi I think is what I would pick--not the Qigong*?* style per se, but the one that is used as a combatative art. Sorry I'm not an expert or anything..I just heard there was Tai Chi that was meditative/excersize and Tai Chi for combat...right now I do a simple 18 move form--I am guessing it's the Yang style if that matters to anyone.
Also, I am big fan of Kung Fu/martial arts movies...I love the old ones with Sam the Seed..and the ones with Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao together. Love watching the Wu Tang/Shaolin Collection and my favorite style to watch is the Drunken Style....though Win Chun is cool and Wu Tang sword is fun too ^^

Wow..this is the most I've typed in a really long time ^__^

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:00 am

Just got my orange belt! Fear my n00b power!
Cap'n Nick

Postby girlninja » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:43 am

congratz capn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well i took the Chen style Tai chi i think ^^ five traditional schools then of course tai chi branches off so i'm not sure anymore but personally it's too soft for me .........hmm yeshua not sure around here well let's see i think most of the main fight schools for UFC are more trainers then schools at least that's been my experience.....unfortuantely missed a week of training with a bad cold rght now so blah but i'll be back on monday woot! fear the banana's lol *no mockery to you capn just sounded good ^^
hmmm familiar with bo staff i'm ok in it
hmmm also yeshua did you watch last ufc on feb 5?? with tito? lol man that cracked me up

Nami
girlninja

Postby Ingemar » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:08 pm

I started Arnis a week ago. Hmm.... is it more 'fun' than Kendo? I don't think that's a fair question, because it's like asking is video gaming more 'fun' than Physics (NOTE: I think the answer is yes, and I do *hate* physics). For one thing, the equipment is a lot cheaper ($10 for a pair of sticks (aka baston, since CDL wanted to know), as opposed to a $25 shinai and at least $450 for the garment + armor) and there's a lot more variety. There is some bare hand techniques, though barehand fighting is given secondary emphasis. Plus, like CDL said, you can do the same techniques using other objects of similar length, like the many old-school Filipino daggers or the more up-to-date machete. In a "real life" situation, I think I would be more likely to use arnis instead of kendo, provided I can find a pipe or stick or something.

I'm not sure about the 'prying someone's thumb off' part, but there are disarming moves in arnis that involve bending the fella's thumb into his hand so that he lets go of his weapon. I've only been to two practices, but already I know how to twirl my sticks and (sorta) pass my stick between hands... like a madman!
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby CDLviking » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:36 pm

Arnis is great. It really gets cool when you can smell the wood burning from the speed. There are definitely a few ways to brake your opponents thumbs, but maybe pry them off is a bit of hyperbole, unless of course you've got blade.
CDLviking

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:48 pm

*pulls out his bamboo practice sword and his wooden practice katana*

so in y'all's opinion, which one of these is better?
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Ingemar » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:34 am

That's like asking, "Which is better--a ladle or a wire whisk?" The shinai and bokken have completely different applications. The shinai was designed for Kendo and for actually hitting people. The bokken has the curvature and the weight of an actual katana (actually, it's probably even heavier) and is more ideal for practicing kata and cuts.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby TKD Samurai » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Ingemar wrote:That's like asking, "Which is better--a ladle or a wire whisk?" The shinai and bokken have completely different applications. The shinai was designed for Kendo and for actually hitting people. The bokken has the curvature and the weight of an actual katana (actually, it's probably even heavier) and is more ideal for practicing kata and cuts.

I have to disagree with you on that. Bokkens are made of wood, so even the heavy wood ones can never be as heavy as a katana. I have a red oak bokken and and aluminum katana, and the aluminum katana is still much heavier. Steel, the metal they use for real katanas, is heavier than aluminum as well.

LOL I'm glad I found this thread...I'm a pretty big martial arts buff. :sweat: I've been training in Tae Kwon Do for over 1 year and a half (ITF and WTF style), and currently a red belt. Right now I'm also doing some Iaido, as well as the nunchaku. I also had some training in Karate, Jeet Kune Do and some basic Arnis. Once I get my Tae Kwon Do black belt, I'm gonna start Hap Ki Do for practical self-defense.
TKD Samurai

Postby Knuckles » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:40 pm

Ohh, there's so much to learn @_@
I'm currently doing Tae Kwon Do. Ususally on alternate days and weekends, we spend time learning Shotokan, Aikido and Hapkido defense. I hopefully want to be that all-around fighter that has knowledge of many styles. I always love learning more.
Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:41 pm

Grrr... sorry for the double post >_>
Knuckles

Postby TKD Samurai » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:11 pm

Can anyone here do aerials?
TKD Samurai

Postby CDLviking » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:33 pm

Shinken are definitely heavier than bokken, but there are other sorts of wooden swords that are heavier, though their proper name fails me at the moment.
CDLviking

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:08 am

hey, i'm thinkin' about takin' some actual martial arts classes through my local taekwon do dojo, anyone know of any reasons that i should or should not enroll?
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Cap'n Nick » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:19 am

Yeshua-Knight wrote:hey, i'm thinkin' about takin' some actual martial arts classes through my local taekwon do dojo, anyone know of any reasons that i should or should not enroll?

Be sure to check into the school before you enroll. I am not sure if this is true for all parts of America but the taekwondo schools in my area are notoriously lightweight. But, I also know of people that received rigorous and effective martial arts training in taekwondo. I think what it boils down to is, every style has good and bad schools and if you're serious you can get something out of just about any style.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:31 am

cool, thanks, yeah my aunt used to be a martial arts instructor for a vietnamese style called choung nhu, i'd take lessons from her since the style is a conglomeration of many other styles, but she lives about a half hour away from me and *sighs* has.....issues
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Stephen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:56 pm

I am going to be joining a kickboxing class in the next few weeks. I am pretty stoked. I just have to get things cleared up at work...*laughs* My gi is already ordered. This is not a "squishy" class either...I gotta get in better shape fast...

Btw...this is on the wrong board...*shows mercy and moves it*
Stephen

Postby oro! » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:33 pm

Having the gi makes you feel in the right mood for learning, I think...
I have been taking some hapkido for the last month or so along with taekwondo. Anyone else?
In my class, every hapkido form has a number, but I've learned the same is not true ofr others... Like right hand outer block, horse stance at a 40 degree angle and center punch is all #1. It's much easier than saying all of that.
I learned my lesson a couple of weeks ago with throws. The teacher asked who was scared to be thrown, and I foolishly raised my hand. But, with a roll, it was fine. I'm not scared anymore.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 am

Cap'n Crack wrote:Be sure to check into the school before you enroll. I am not sure if this is true for all parts of America but the taekwondo schools in my area are notoriously lightweight. But, I also know of people that received rigorous and effective martial arts training in taekwondo. I think what it boils down to is, every style has good and bad schools and if you're serious you can get something out of just about any style.

thats true... when i went to blue dragon... that place was really cheap... then i enrolled into Kim's Karate (apparently tae kwon do) and that place was even worse....

a REALLY good school I found was Central TaeKwonDo.. that master was so good at teaching... and gave rigerous exercises
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CDLviking » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:26 pm

oro!girl7 wrote:I have been taking some hapkido for the last month or so along with taekwondo. Anyone else?
In my class, every hapkido form has a number, but I've learned the same is not true ofr others... Like right hand outer block, horse stance at a 40 degree angle and center punch is all #1. It's much easier than saying all of that.

We do the same thing. I have one steps 1-20 down, 10 defense against knife moves, and a lot of other miscellanious stuff.
CDLviking

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment