Who here is a martial arts buff?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby CDLviking » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:18 pm

The coolest part about arnis is when you get going really fast and you can smell the wood starting to burn.
CDLviking

Postby girlninja » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:50 am

lol heh it reminds me of escrima's heh
your going so hard the vibration makes your hands go numb so that the only way you know you even have the stick is that it's on your neck heh
"If not now then when? If not me then who?-anonymous

and of course now i must instill the Dancing BANANA'S!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WHY AM I CRYING IN FRENCH-Vash the Stampede

ORORORORORO!-Himura Kenshin

:jump: :lol: :thumb:

"It is not weak to value human life!"-Raiden, Mortal Combat II

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

*ADOPTED BY* ..yea i know scary I got a adopted ~_^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Ingemar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Eskrima=Arnis=Kali.

Arnis is what they call it in Luzon. Eskrima is what they call it in the central islands, and Kali is the generalized term, but it's used particularly in the south.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Jeikobu » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:57 pm

I think it's cool but I'm not crazy about it. I'm more interested in swordsmanship. I hope someday I can learn to use my katana. My dad however is a Bruce Lee nut. ^^;
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby girlninja » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:19 pm

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ^^ gotcha oh ok so escrima's and arnis are the same ^^ heh yea i haven't learned how to do the sword yet but i reallly wanna learn ^^ heh hope to at least ^^

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Nami
girlninja

Postby CDLviking » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:42 pm

Ingemar wrote:Eskrima=Arnis=Kali.

Arnis is what they call it in Luzon. Eskrima is what they call it in the central islands, and Kali is the generalized term, but it's used particularly in the south.

I did not realize this either. Thank you for the education.
CDLviking

Postby girlninja » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:04 am

ditto on that ^^ learning new things everyday ^^ so any one learning anything new either about the martial arts world or moves in general? anyone gotta a favorite move? ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:10 am

not learning anything new night now, I havn't been ab;e to attend classes in a quarter or so... my favorite move is a spinning hammer that's thrown blind, since it's usually so unexpected.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby desperado » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:29 pm

i like the jumping scissor kick. hard to block, hard to evade, and takes the oppanent down
desperado

Postby girlninja » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:49 pm

heh yea we call that the spinning back fist ^^ heh i have to say i like teh spinning hook kick ^^ ..............stupid scissors kick lol that kick is nearly impossible for me lol white girl can't jump *wink no actually i'm just not good at the dynamics of it >< ;lol tho i am working on the 540 kick ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:04 pm

i recently picked up a new Ninjutsu move...I dont think it really has an official name so I'll just call it the Handstand Kick...basically you incorporate it into a series where the opponent ends up jumping in the air, from there you crouch and thrust upward at approximately an 80 degree angle into a handstand and catch the opponent in the ribs as he/she is coming back down. The move is rather hard to incorporate but is quite effective at immobilizing opponents (what with broken ribs and all)
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:38 pm

my personal fave is a rather basic, yet effective unless you know how to counter its effect, is a double palm heal to the chest, if you do it right, and with enough force, you can knock the wind out of someone and knock them to the ground with it
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby girlninja » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:41 pm

hmmmmmmmm spike sounds very interesting...i can imagine it must take multitudes of balance and strength..heh yeshua i'd have to agree palms are effective at the chest tho i have to say i like them on the neck too painful 0_0;;;

Nami
girlninja

Postby Slater » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:07 pm

martial arts buff? Yes... sorta. I have a blackbelt in Kajukenbo. I've also been kinda developing my own style, based mostly on kicks. I can easily nail a headshot with a jumping snapkick... I practice by kicking the tops of doorframes. Real fun! *thumbs up*
Slater

Postby girlninja » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:10 am

Kajukenbo??? style from the islands?? ^^ sorry i'm not familiar with it can you explain the aspects of it? ^^
oooo yay start Muay Thai Full Contact fighting ^_^ yay ^^ anything interesting going on with you guys? ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Slater » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:02 pm

whoa... someone's heard of Kajukenbo! Yes, it is from "The Islands" (aka, Hawaii). It is a mixture of Karate, Judo/Jujitsu, Kenpo (or Kempo), and Chinese Boxing. In short, it's street fighting. There are certain foundational techniques in it that the founders put in... so how did they chose these techniques? They'd get together in a garage in Hawaii, talk about it for a while, go out and start a barfight, and if the technique worked in a real life fight, they kept it. If not, well... hehe...

actually... I can't officially say that I am under Kajukenbo any more... see, my dad's my teacher, and he owns a school (today called Family Martial Arts Center of Pacifica, which has been rated the best martial arts school in the California Bay Area o.O), thus my father has a lot of students. Well, my dad's teacher was a real jerk and everyone knew it. He'd come in and push the little kids around, demanding stuff from them every second and such. My dad told him to stop it or else he would kick him out of the dojo. Apparently he listened, but that didn't stop him from committing adultery with one of the mothers of a student there -.-;. Dad told them both that it was 100% unacceptable and expelled the woman and her son from the school. A week or so later, the guy went to our landlord and tried to buy our building.
NOT cool. and the landlord knew it. She did not allow him to do it, so we got a lease. That made Bob (my dad's teacher) very angry, so long story short he cut my dad and all of his students off of the Kajukenbo tree. http://www.coastkaratestudio.com/Lee_Byrd_Letter.html

But our students are well known for being much better than his, so he started recruiting them. As far as I know, he only hooked one of my dad's star students. He caught two rounds of cancer (testicular which means... ah... let's just say he won't be having any children ^^; ). Bob today is also dying, as he caught some insurvivable form of cancer. Judgement for all the bad stuff he did? maybe, I don't know.

In anycase, I will stick with my form of Martial Arts, which if it turns to any supernatural power, there can only be one. Every class, we pay respect to Jesus Christ, for only He can well equip us for battle! :thumbsup:
Slater

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:45 pm

i thought this would be appropriate for all the martial arts "buffs" out there

Ps 91:7
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.
NKJV
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:15 pm

LOL i was totally guessing on the origin of the kujukenbo hehe only cuz it sounded like it came from the islands ^^:;; lol but i'm glad my "ninja" senses kicked in ~_^ *wink heh wow i'm glad that your father kicked out the martial artists that did those dishonorable things...i agree with him ^_^

heh yeshua i'm liking that verse ^_^ *claps thankyou ^^

BANANA! :dance:

Nami
girlninja

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:31 pm

i have a question, i recently read a devotional in a book i received for christmas and some of it i think those that post on this thread would prolly enjoy, would it be alright if i gave appropriate credit when i posted it if i was to post this devotional in here?
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby girlninja » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:06 am

of course ^^ i would enjoy that ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:37 am

ya know i kinda of wonder...if someone had good sword skill...do you think it would be impossible for someone with trained karate to beat that person??
kinda of like the kenshin and Sasuke fight??

hmmmm...just curious ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:46 am

well, let's dissect that for a second, you have a sword fighter, pretty much limited to sword use aside from very basic punches, kicks, etc..then you have a martial artist that uses only hand to hand fighting techniques, which means the in essence the entire body can be used as a weapon, then on the other hand you have a sword with a blade that is made from metal, and the martial artist is nothing but flesh, bone, and whatever clothing is being worn, so i'd have to say that the skill level in itself is more a detemining factor than just the sword vs. hand thing

As for that devotion i was talking about.....

This devotion is taken from the book Devotions By Dead People by Lynn Lusby Pratt

Purple Heart
Here lies Joshua, victorious commander of Israel

The Body: Bushido. The way of the warrior.

Bushido was the code of conduct followed by the samurai of old Japan. Samurai were to have courage, truth, honor, loyalty.

When the Lord commissioned Joshua to take over for Moses, he gave Joshua a code to live by. It makes me think of bushido.

"Be strong and very courageous.....Meditate on [my law] day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.....Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you" (Joshua 1:7-9 NIV)

It's all there: courage, truth, honor, loyalty.

Samurai were under their Daimyo or feudal lords. The outstanding Daimyo became Shogun, the leader of Japan's military. The spiritual head of the Shogun was the Emperor himself, called the heavenly ruler, descendant of eht sun goddes Amaterasu.

Joshua was under.....

Joshua was leading his troops to capture Jericho (in the famous event that brought the city walls down in Joshua 6). Near Jericho he had a briefing with his commander. What's strange is the Joshua didn't have a commander!

Nevertheless, a "man" with a drawn sword appeared, some biblical scholars think it may have been Michael the archangel. Others think it was an appearance of Jesus Himself-long before he came to earth as a baby. The commander told Joshua that he was on holy ground (Joshua 5:13-15). I think he was reminding Joshua that it wass God's battle, that God was present, that Joshua was meerly God's agent.

Joshua got it. Joshua, human commander of the Lord's army, had many victories. They're recorded in the book of Joshua. Joshua was victorious because he followed the code God gave him. Joshua was Shogun. The Japanese samurai warriors with their bushido make a fascinating study. But at the top of the ranks of samurai, daimyo, and shogun there is only the mythical sun-goddess. Joshua-do, the way of Joshua, is superior:

Living with courage in the Lord's presence.

Following the way of God's Law.

Honor, Pride, Purpose.

And Loyalty to the true rule of Heaven, The Lord Almighty
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:55 am

I've heard it as a general rule that a person has to be at least three times as skilled unarmed as their opponent is with a sword in order to win. I'm not sure where I heard this rule. I sure hope it wasn't an anime!
Cap'n Nick

Postby CDLviking » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:51 pm

Most sword practitioners are also trained in HTH martial arts as well. At the shinkendo honbu dojo they teach aikido as well. I believe that the samurai were expected to be trained in at least 5 different martial arts. The only way that I can see is for the unarmed opponent to close the distance and either disarm or incapacitate the swordsman in one move.
CDLviking

Postby girlninja » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:54 pm

*clap thanks for the devotional yeshua ^^

hmmmm i agree that the level of skill would be the deciding factor...personally if it came down to it and a HTH person could shift and be able to avoid the blade or else immbilize the arms of the person along with perhaps a knee break they would be ok to do so ^^ hmmmmm hard to say i suppose?
anyone else wonder of any *impossible* matches? ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:58 pm

girlninja wrote:anyone else wonder of any *impossible* matches? ^^

how about, hmmm, oh yeah, an active navy seal vs. a fully trained martial artist
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby CDLviking » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:48 pm

Navy SEALs are psychotic killing machines. They win hands down. I don't care if they're fighting a grand master.
CDLviking

Postby girlninja » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:02 am

heh perhaps they may be trained killers but i think that *assuming the style is good* that a grand master could beat them...remember that navy seals are usually taught HTH by martial artisists, aren't they? ^^

hmmm that would be interesting tho ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:10 pm

............................started muay thai kick boxing..................................................sore >< lol but it's fun ^^ anyone else suffering from practice pain? LOL :bang: :mutter: :waah!:

Nami
girlninja

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:30 pm

i have from time to time, usually when i push myself to go further than i was going before, but normally it's the person i'm training against that really feels the burn
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment