Who here is a martial arts buff?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Saint Kevin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:01 am

Nice. Now that's what I'm talking about! Weapons! Yeah!

Anyway, I think it valuable to know how to use different weapons, and most especially what to do if you are attacked with a weapon and are unarmed. For that reason, Krav Maga (sp?) sounds like something that I could learn a lot from.

Seriously though, I need to learn how to fight with weapons. I've tried a little with a short staff and some nunchaku, but haven't really gotten any good at either.
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Sephiroth » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:07 am

I used to do Lau Gar Kung Fu while i was still at high school, but i quit around the green belt grading, (the sets were too long and complicated, and my memory sucks) and if i'd passed it then i'd have started to get the bo-staff training, which would have ruled. Now i'm starting kendo with a bunch of my friends. Sword stuff always has suited me better than unarmed combat. (kinda like an obsession - especially for japanese swordsmanship & katana's hehe)
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby desperado » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:50 am

i want to learn swords but the only two things i know how to use are escrima and tonfas
desperado

Postby girlninja » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:35 am

yea i'm familiar a bit with the escrima weapons which i'll begin training in about a week ^^ i'm excited about that

i have to say praticality wise a short staff or bo would best be suited for ordinary things and as unpratical as swords are i'm obsessed as well lol i love em ^^ i wish to learn a real sword blade and all ^^

oooo i start Muay Thai full contact kick boxing training again ^^:;;; so the pain begins lol *dum dum duuuuuummm* lol
"If not now then when? If not me then who?-anonymous

and of course now i must instill the Dancing BANANA'S!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

WHY AM I CRYING IN FRENCH-Vash the Stampede

ORORORORORO!-Himura Kenshin

:jump: :lol: :thumb:

"It is not weak to value human life!"-Raiden, Mortal Combat II

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

*ADOPTED BY* ..yea i know scary I got a adopted ~_^

Nami
girlninja

Postby Little T-chan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm a first degree black belt in taekwondo....I got my black belt in November!! ^^
[SIZE="6"][color="Pink"]♥ [font="Impact"]t-chan[/font]![/color][/SIZE]

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="Pink"]Everyday, it's You i live for!
Everyday, i'll follow after You!
Everyday, i'll walk with You, my Lord![/color][/SIZE][/font]
Little T-chan

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:35 pm

*fears T-chan*
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:51 pm

*Is jealous.*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby BigZam » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:55 pm

I've been taking Okinawan Seidokan for about six months.....yellow belt.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby Yeshua-Knight » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:30 pm

well, i haven't done much official studying under any one particular school of martial arts aside from back when i was seven i studied choung nhu for a couple of years, now i kinda teach myself techniques by either watching others perform maneuvers and i'll try to emulate the move or i'll come up with a counter for that move, especially wrestling moves, those are the easiest to counter to me, i do have several swords of varying sizes and styles with my latest additions being a wooden katana and a bamboo shinai that i'm going to help a friend of mine gain some proficiency in combat with.

'nuff said :rock:
'nuff said
Yeshua-Knight

Postby Stephen » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:04 pm

Never really been interested in learning martial arts. Don't know why, I am not the best fighter in the world or anything. I suppose if I ever did want to learn somthing I would love to learn CQC. Being able to take someones weapon from them sounds fun. For now I would call myself a first level cornered animal. *laughs* If I was in a posistion where myself, or somone I cared about was in danger I would use anything around me as a weapon. *grabs pencil* Who wants some? *shrug* I do admire people who learn a style though...its a great way to stay in good physical condition and be able to handle yourself.
Stephen

Postby Ashley » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:30 pm

While I was a kid I was mildly intrigued by martial arts, but I never had the chance to try it (plus, there was the misconception that all martial arts were steeped in eastern meditation/mysticism). Now that I'm a little older, I wish I had--both to have some unifying thing throughout my childhood to have been involved in, and for a sense of self-defense. I'd like to try a kickboxing class if I get a chance, but I'm not sure where/when I'll be able to.
Ashley

Postby tirshek » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:16 am

girlninja wrote:hehe was curious i'm a big martial arts buff so anyone who wants to discuss it i'm all ears ^^

all ranks aside i'll tell you what i study under but they are all certified ranks incase people wonder for credibility ^^

i study under Alea's Shaolin Kempo karate bujiie art system which includes SHaolin Kempo, 7-animal-kung-fu, japanese jiu-jitsu
i also study Gracie's Brazilian Jiu-jitsu under an instructor from Carlos Caique, i study Full COntact Muay thai kick boxing, Chen style Tai-Chi and study the bo staff and kama's for weapons ^^

that's it for now let me know what you study or if you have any martial art comments/questions etc ^^ always interested ^^

I used to know a couple of Kata's of Ishenru, been a long time since I have been able to practice though.
tirshek

Postby girlninja » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:09 am

hmm Ishenru is a new style to me ^^ i'd like to know more about it ^^

oooo i got my boken rounded and cut so now i can start training with it ^^ yay hehe and i'm learning the escrema's today too ^_^ i'm excited *bounces up and down* i'm still working on mastering a advanced mule kick tho >< hard stuff lol anyone working on anythinng new lately? ^^

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Nami
girlninja

Postby youngWilliam » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:22 am

I want to learn to use the three section staff
Knights of the World: To Protect, To Serve, To Jesus Christ.
elifeimpact.com
youngWilliam

Postby girlninja » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:13 am

i've heard that is one of the hardest things to learn >< i wish you good luck with it ^^

HEH about to enter into my first grappling tournament anyone know how those are like? ^^ it's the NAGA division ^^

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:51 am

i'm not sure if anyone wathced the PRIDE fights the other day??? any one see the Hunt/slyva fight with the atomic butt slam? LOL

oh does anyone have a favorite weapon either in praticality or in style??

Nami
girlninja

Postby tirshek » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:58 am

girlninja wrote:hmm Ishenru is a new style to me ^^ i'd like to know more about it ^^

well you have to rember that I never made it past a white belt (rank beginner) but Ishenru is a strictly hand and foot tecknique. hmmm I mean there are no Weapons besides your body involved. Ishenru was brought into the states by a man named Joe Armstrong (and if you have seen the American Ninja this seems verry familiar) hmm that is all I can think of about it right now.
:bang:
tirshek

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:13 pm

I took, and still practice at the basics of kenpo, or some derivitive form of it. I have liked martial arts for years and read books on it, but was prevented from being trained for the same reason as Ash: misconception of mysticality. So I mostly practice on my own, picking up random snippits of styles here and there.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:57 pm

i think there is a big misconeption regarding the eastern myticism of the martial arts..it it the art of defense though it does have tradition and ethicalities to it i have taught and take the martial arts from a christian intrusctor and i have met many many christians in the art...as a matter of fact at all the tournaments i compete in we always pray *as a whole of teh tournament* asking JEsus and God for protection and sportsmanship ^^ heh so yes tradition is prominent such as bowing to your sensei and callin him/her master or shihan*jap term* but i think that ppl use too much stereotype in classifying them.

Nami
girlninja

Postby girlninja » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:17 pm

it's interesting to see the amount of styles that have emerged though it's equally as interesting to see the amount of people who self promote themselves in teh martial arts...

for instance their are a total of 43 original systlems therefore there are only supposed to be 43 grand masters *10th degrees* yet there are hundreds now >< any one else finding self promotion pathetic??

Nami
girlninja

Postby CDLviking » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:13 pm

To varying degrees I have practiced Shinkendo, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do and Happkido.

My favorite weapon is the katana, but the most practical would be arnis in my opinion.
CDLviking

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:20 pm

That's pretty bad... I never felt inclined towards belts really, and really think that the systems are a little iffy nowadays of mmeasuring capeability.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby girlninja » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:57 am

hmmmmmmmmm arnis is a new one for me as well ^^ can you explain it to me? ^^

i think it all depends on teh school i've met black belts who truly deserve to be called as such and some who are no better then any street beginner...so it all depends on the quality of the student

Nami
girlninja

Postby desperado » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:59 am

i will probably be starting judo soon. and after a while of judo if the instructor thinks i know the basics he will promote me to a mix of ju jutsu and akido that he teaches
desperado

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:10 am

my mom used to take taekwondo back in korea. And of course she always told be horrible stories on how hard it was in korean compared to schools in america :lol:

she also told me that they were only a few belts before the blackbelt. Now there are more because the masters want/need more money (??) lol
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby CDLviking » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:27 pm

Arnis could best be described as Philippino stick fighting. We train with paired ~18" sticks in class (they have a technical name which I can not recall), but you could substitute anything of similar length in a real life situation, including short blades. That's why I think it is the most practical thing I've studied, that and paired weapons are really cool.
CDLviking

Postby Ingemar » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:14 pm

Not to mention, the sticks themselves hurt like hell.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby CDLviking » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:16 pm

That too. There's a really nasty move where you can use the two sticks to pry a guys thumb off. Not very comfortable.
CDLviking

Postby SpikeSpiegel306 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Hmm martial arts eh?

I have taken and will probably continue at some point in time:
Ninjutsu-Black Belt 2nd degree
Iyaido (Weapon Fighting in General)-Black Belt 2nd degree
Battoujutsu-Black Belt 1st degree
Jeet Kun Do-Black Belt 2nd degree
Kaijonmo-Black Belt 1st degree

I am currently taking:
Zonbattou-Blue Belt
Hiten Mitserughi Ryu-Black Belt 1st degree

And I give lessons in a few of them
SpikeSpiegel306

Postby girlninja » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:12 pm

oooooooooo CDL sounds awesome ^^ i think that would be fun ^^
ya know i think that is how the colored belts started was people wanted more money originally it was white and black...basically you trained so much that your white belt became black ^^ heh i have to wonder did people secretly go and rub dirt on their belt? ~_^ lol

Nami
girlninja

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment