sports that aren't sports

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

sports that aren't sports

Postby agasfas » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:31 pm

I remember sitting down a couple years ago watching the winter olympics. Doing so I found myself watching Curling. A sport where you have a lead guy slides a huge stone across an ice ring trying to get it in a certain area. As the stone went flying down (slowly) about 2 or 3 people where in front with brooms. They were sweeping the ice infront of the stone. I was just laughing thinking to myself, "Is this really considered a sport?" Sadly it is.
So this brings me to my question. In your opinion, are there any sports that you think shouldn't even qualify as being a sport?
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby Ashley » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:25 pm

I'm soooo tempted to say baseball. I think of the quote I heard from the movie tonight: "The only sport you can play while taking a nap"

*ducks from all the baseball fans*

Um, but seriously, curling's up there for me. I looked at the official Olympics website list of sports, and I find archery, shooting, and table tennis really stood out...however, I think you could argue they are indeed sports. I mean, it comes down to how you define "sport". I'd say it's any competitive physical endeavor.

Also guys, I know this thread is meant well and this is not at all a personal attack on you, Agasfas, but please keep everything above belt and courteous. Just because someone thinks your favorite sport isn't a "sport" is no reason to get hostile...there are ways of stating your point without getting nasty. I hope that this warning is really unnneccesarry, though.
Ashley

Postby agasfas » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:02 am

ashley wrote:Also guys, I know this thread is meant well and this is not at all a personal attack on you, Agasfas, but please keep everything above belt and courteous. Just because someone thinks your favorite sport isn't a "sport" is no reason to get hostile...there are ways of stating your point without getting nasty. I hope that this warning is really unnneccesarry, though.

Gotcha. By no means am I trying to attack anyone or what they think is/isn't a sport. I hope this didn't come off as hostile; that wasn't my intent at all. I was just curious of what people "thought" about certain sports. :P So if my thread came off as hostile or "hitting below the belt," or has the potential of doing so, then I give my sincerest apologies. I surely hope that this thread doesn't become hostile. Though I can see the potential of it doing so.

Edit: Also, I guess I can see how the title of the thread and perhaps how I laughed at curling could offend someone. I only picked this title because it was shorter than my other one "Sports that you wouldn't consider a sport due to lack of physical interaction." Guess I should have kept my original one. Sorry for all of the misunderstandings I may have caused.

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Postby oro! » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:52 pm

I think that the horse stuff was not really a sport, though it does take training. I would just like to see horse racin', not all that tech stuff.
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby agasfas » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:12 pm

what I think is odd is as though it's not a "physical" sport Bass fishing is kind of cool. Not as for watching it, but actually being out outside (in nature) having the sun come up while fishing. It helps me appreciate the small and simple things in life. Though I haven't been for years. But good stuff indeed.

agasfas

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:24 am

Poker! How's that a sport! It's not. It's just a fast way to win or lose on television.
Why aren't solitare or gin(sp?) be a sport? Where the National Go- Fish League? The American Hearts League?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby agasfas » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:32 am

Poker huh? That's kind of fun but I can see why people wouldn't see it as a sport.
I was curious so I went to dictionary.com to find the definition of sport.
Sport-
a) Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b) An active pastime; recreation.

I didn't know recreational sports counted. Knowing the definition I can see how curling, poker etc can be seen as sports. Though I would have figured it only had to do with physical activity. Guess I learn something new everyday.
Also, lets try to keep it civil like Ashley said, It wouldn't be cool if it had to be closed due to arguements and/or fights.

agasfas

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:30 pm

Gee,I wonder why no-one else as thought of listing pro-Wrestling as a none Sport
Sport.Or is it because everyone KNOWS already that pro-Wrestling isn't a sport?
mitsuki lover

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:09 pm

GOLF. Golf is a game, not a sport. The only physical exertion comes from walking to where ever you hit the ball, and that can be replaced by golf carts. Same goes for bowling, which while being rather entertaining, is not a sport either.

Mitsuki, the argument could be made that since pro wrestling, while staged, does still require a great deal of physical effort, which could, theoretically qualify it as a sport.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Kisa » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:20 pm

Ah so many....
curliing, equestirian (the horse does it all!!!), non competitive cheerleading(runs from them), pool (you just push a ball on a table!)..... ah before I offend anyone else I will go away ^_^''
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kireihana » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:50 pm

XD I also tend to define sports as physical activity, so when I say I don't think something's a sport, I just don't think it uses much physical activity...

1. Bowling. It's very fun, but I don't think it's a sport.
2. Curling, as others have mentioned.
3. Ballet. This takes a lot of discipline, sure, but it seems more like an art form such as acting or singing, rather than a sport.
4. Pool, ping-pong, or any table game... more like a pass-time than a sport.

Actually I do for the most part consider cheerleading a sport. As much as they scare me, I have a respect for cheerleaders. I could never do a backflip or a split in a million years.
Kireihana

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:07 am

Yeah-- curling. Definitely curling. I watched that during the Winter Olympic because I just couldn't get over how funny it was! I mean, it looked like two guys sweeping a broom infront of a heavy stone tea kettle or something. Bizarre.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Return to General Entertainment